Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead & Reinforcements, version 1.59 - Patch released

Is binary in any storage format any less real? Just a thought :)

Announcing ARMA 3!

Due to popular demand, we are releasing ARMA 3 only on Blue-Ray (you can also order a version with 10 DVDs), in uncompiled format! That's right! You can compile the executables yourself!! We're keeping it REAL and NATURAL!

:D

Steam is working great for me!

You only need to start the game once via Steam. Then even uninstall Steam if you want. Doesn't matter. Backups? Yeah, just copy the game folder to where ever you want (o burn it on a optical disk. When reinstalling just copy it to the Steam folder again and click Download. Steam will only download missing files.

This is way faster than messing with Dvds, bluerays or whatever.

Just a bunch of old-timers nagging about Steam. Learn to love it! :)

---------- Post added at 11:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 PM ----------

Announcing ARMA 3!

Due to popular demand, we are releasing ARMA 3 only on Blue-Ray (you can also order a version with 10 DVDs), in uncompiled format! That's right! You can compile the executables yourself!! We're keeping it REAL and NATURAL!

:D

Yeah it's really silly.

so how long do we wait for Steam to get 1.59

You don't have to wait at all.

Just download and install. Be happy.

(I'm gettin' tired of this.)

And then when the steam update finally happens, your local files are "corrupt" (read: patched manually) and you have to re-download (or restore from backups, if you're smart) ArmA2 and wait for the patch to re-apply its self.

I'm tired of THAT

And then when the steam update finally happens, your local files are "corrupt" (read: patched manually) and you have to re-download (or restore from backups, if you're smart) ArmA2 and wait for the patch to re-apply its self.

I'm tired of THAT

Not corrupt. But maybe you need to re-download like 0-500MB.

That's a good thing with Steam. I can for example delete roads.pbo and Steam will only fix that file for me. NOT the whole game.

---------- Post added at 09:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 AM ----------

Try vitamins ;)

I prefer Valium or Morphine. :p

Not corrupt.

Thats why I used "". As far as Steam is concerned the files are not right and have to be replaced.

But maybe you need to re-download like 0-500MB.

More than that, since the patch changes quite a few pbos.

Its also a huge inconvenience. It should only need to be done once, not 2 or 3 times.

We're tired of having to mess around with work-arounds (this is infact, the first official - read non-beta - patch that even works with the steam version, so is very un-tested for future effects...)

The point is, BI should have some better system in place than the current:

"lol, valve time"

"you should buy it on sproket"

"wait"

responses they've been giving so far.

"lol, valve time"

"wait"

Absolutely. Moreover, it would be great to hear a response from BI, instead of allowing the vacuum to be filled with a tangential argument about the merits of Steam.

Its also a huge inconvenience. It should only need to be done once, not 2 or 3 times.

Is it really that bad? I just did this on my server.

1. Copied over /common/arma 2 & operation arrowhead to my server. (1.59)

2. Double clicked on both arma 2 and oa in Steam.

3. Steam started to download and installing (1.57). It had to download around 1GB if I recall correctly.

4. Started up the game(s) to make the registry entries.

5. Double clicked on the patch. Installed!

---------- Post added at 09:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

"lol, valve time"

"wait"

I can't agree more! The update should become avaible on Steam directly.

---------- Post added at 09:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 AM ----------

We're tired of having to mess around with work-arounds (this is infact, the first official - read non-beta - patch that even works with the steam version, so is very un-tested for future effects...)

When the update comes to Steam it will just check your files and download/fix whatever it need. It should be 0kb. :)

"lol, valve time"

"wait"

Totally agree :thumbsup:

When the update comes to Steam it will just check your files and download/fix whatever it need. It should be 0kb. :)

Yes, it should be... :rolleyes:

To be honest id rather have the patch now, than have to wait another few weeks before Steam get thier act together, otherwise all release dates would be relient on Steam, which is not acceptable.

So basicly what im saying is

LOL@ Steam buyers :D

Ok folks lets stay on track.. peoples individual choice of purchase is their business.. this is not a thread for the the discussion of the merits/pro's and con's of steam or any other digital outlet.

Thank you.

Well it's rather simple. BIS made a mistake here with not waiting until every distribution method is ready to deliver the patch.

You can now say: Well we're rolling it out anyway (as BIS did) and don't care about our customers that bought the game on Steam as every other publisher might have done.

But BIS is really depending on their long-term playerbase. On all the communities out there wich make ArmA worth playing over a long time.

With the move to publish the patch without caring about Steam users they've split the communities again.

What is so hard to understand about that? It's not about that you may think Steam is bullshit. It's not the point here. And I really don't see the point a moderator in this forum, a somewhat official spokesperson of BIS, is dissing Steamusers and recommend other distribution methods. If that's BIS oppinion they should drop Steam sales. Easy thing.

So back to topic: When will the patch be out for Steam users? We have to make the decision to lose the Steam players in our community or revert to 1.57 wich will involve a lot of hrs people might not want to spent and therfore dropping out as well. Whatever we do, we might lose some people on the way.

Next: Will BIS finally learn and only provide patches if everyone (means Steam users as well) can update accordingly?

(Updating accordingly does not mean to apply some weired patches and do some voodo afterwards, but the normal way. E.g. trough Steam.)

"There are technical difficulties which prevents the release of STEAM updates, no ETA"

repeated it several times as simple 1 line explain in 3 threads here on BIForum and 2 on STEAMforum

You can wait either until it's resolved or download universal manual patch

Just want to share with all.

I have Steam version CO. I can't wait so I used the 1.59 patch.

ArmA II OA is patched to 1.59, but ArmA II still shows as 1.08. I will try patching ArmA II using 1.09 again.

Update: I was able to patch my ArmA II to 1.09 using the seperate patch. No problem so far. I was able to run Arma II and OA individually and run CO successfully as well.

Edited by Paratrooper511

Finally got the time to install and play and wanted to say thanks. Great performance on my ageing machine :)

Thanks BIS!

Just want to share with all.

I have Steam version CO. I can't wait so I used the 1.59 patch.

ArmA II OA is patched to 1.59, but ArmA II still shows as 1.08. I will try patching ArmA II using 1.09 again.

Update: I was able to patch my ArmA II to 1.09 using the seperate patch. No problem so far. I was able to run Arma II and OA individually and run CO successfully as well.

I had to put the patch file in the same dir as Arrowhead.exe for it to find the game. I am currently patching, but maybe I have to do the same for the Arma 2 vanilla game as well, or like you, patch is solo to 1.09.

That patch cant find OA on Steam it seems...

Edited by JojoTheSlayer

I had to put the patch file in the same dir as Arrowhead.exe for it to find the game. I am currently patching, but maybe I have to do the same for the Arma 2 vanilla game as well, or like you, patch is solo to 1.09.

That patch cant find OA on Steam it seems...

The patch had no problem finding OA in my machine. The 1.59 patch cannot recognise only the ArmA II 1.08 in my machine. During the 1.59 patching process, the patch didn't even mention that it found ArmA II or anything. It just said the OA 1.57 was found and it would be patched to 1.59. I had no error messages or anything. So I had to download ArmA 1.09 patch and patch my ArmA II. I got worried a bit but I haven't experienced any problems so far.

And I just tested the AToC thingy, my impression is that I love it!!! Finally, my tree is not glitering anymore:yay::yay: !!! Love you ArmA II & BI.

Couldn't wait any longer so manually installed patch for my steam version and no problems here:)

Thx BI

@Paratrooper511

I got it working. Did a Steam check thing on the game and started it up via Steam, which I havent done for ages, then installed the patch. Not sure which one of those two made the patch find the game, but thats how I did it.

Only thing is, the game seems to auto reset to "keep game updated" when I start it via Steam. Not that its a issue since I use a launcher, just saying. If others have issues with the game later trying to "fix" itself before 1.59 becomes official on Steam that might be it.

Any news concerning the new sign tools ?

Xeno

Hey all.Any tips on getting it to work on my system?

Its all Steam and combined ops with both British and PMC DLC.

Steam failed and the update I loaded manualy says "the game was not found or corrupt" after it extracts files. It then loads the PMC and British updates with one PMC.bpo file that errors during install.

I tried to shut auto update off on steam with every ARMA title but still no luck after manualy installing.

It still shows 1.57 in bottom corner and I can't place a plane on the carrier and notice no other differences yet.

Some files were shown in ARMA2oa so It seems its trying to install but will not.

@Paratrooper511

...Not sure which one of those two made the patch find the game, but thats how I did it....

To have a patch applied for Arma 2, you must first run Arma 2 from steam. That sets stuff in the windows registry. That information is needed for the patch to locate your Arma 2 installation.

Same goes for Operation Arrowhead. Run it before applying a patch.

And as always... use the search function in here. These kind of "problems" have been talked about many times before.

Edited by Boxter.dk