Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

A2OA Linux Server beta 1.59.79548

Or find another server admin with a patched installation to exchange files with (from server to server).

Running a Linux DS can be a PITA.

Or find another server admin with a patched installation to exchange files with (from server to server).

Running a Linux DS can be a PITA.

That one works too and is way less antisocial lol

The yellow status for Linux servers is a bug and will most likely be fixed in next patch.

In the meantime we'll have to live with it.

I'd like to point out that since 1.59, this issue is fixed:

[78059] Changed: Yellow server no longer listed at the bottom of the server list.

It is already a big win for server admins.

Edited by Lonestar

Can someone tell me how to update server data to 1.59 without reuploading 10 gigs 7zipped game from a windows installation :/
As others have said - use rsync. You could use a two-stage process using a local Linux machine at home (could be a virtual or a real machine):

0 - Have a local Linux server at home used for "staging" and testing lives on a file system that's also reachable via Samba (CIFS) from the Windows machine as a network share.

1 - use robocopy from Windows to mirror (/MIR) the Windows ArmA II game data to the staging server's share.

2 - then, when you have verified that all is well on the staging server, use rsync over SSH to update the remote server. This way, only the data that's changed since the last patch needs to be uploaded. Also, rsync will let you compress that data to save time.

(Apparently, there's ways to use rsync directly from your Windows machine to the remote Linux server aswell, but I haven't explored that path)

Edited by Killswitch

I've packed my stuff to 7zip and uploaded all the changed files. Hopefully it will work for tonight's squadnight.

Server: SBP Slovenia (private, for team use & invitees only)

Edited by IceBreakr

No changes so far...BI it was not urgent for the last weekend but now I am getting annoyed, I hope we can expect something for the weekend

BTW, the rsync Linux

"rsync -avzyh --delete /home/arma/arma2server/* arma_user@se-corps.de:/home/arma/arma2server/"

The Rsync for windows solution is available on our webpage (in German)

with this command it takes 15-20 minutes with a DSL line to update the current version, they changed not really a lot.

I hope it will be helpful to you.

SAMPLE:

ls -l

arma2@game-server:~/arma2arrowhead$ ls -l

drwxr-xr-x 30 arma2 arma2 4096 2011-04-10 03:19 .

drwxr-xr-x 6 arma2 arma2 4096 2011-04-09 11:32 ..

-rw-r--r-- 1 arma2 arma2 6 2011-04-10 03:19 2302.pid

-rw-r--r-- 1 arma2 arma2 3 2011-04-10 03:19 2302.run

drwxr-xr-x 2 arma2 arma2 12288 2011-04-05 01:53 addons

drwx--x--x 2 arma2 arma2 4096 2011-04-09 11:32 administrator

-rwxr-xr-x 1 arma2 arma2 3052 2011-04-07 19:30 arma2coserver

-rw------- 1 arma2 arma2 334 2011-04-07 18:45 arma2oa.cfg

drwxr-xr-x 2 arma2 arma2 16384 2011-04-05 01:52 common

-rw-r--r-- 1 arma2 arma2 13841513 2011-04-10 03:19 dedicated_server.2302.log

drwxr-xr-x 2 arma2 arma2 4096 2011-04-04 05:15 dta

drwxr-xr-x 6 arma2 arma2 4096 2011-04-05 01:57 expansion

drwxr-xr-x 2 arma2 arma2 4096 2011-04-03 09:46 keys

drwxr-xr-x 2 arma2 arma2 4096 2011-04-03 09:45 missions

drwxr-xr-x 3 arma2 arma2 12288 2011-04-09 08:32 mpmissions

lrwxrwxrwx 1 arma2 arma2 16 2011-04-05 11:04 players -> tmp2302/players/

-rwxr-xr-x 1 arma2 arma2 17016820 2011-03-31 23:37 server

-rwxr-xr-x 1 arma2 arma2 1304 2011-04-07 17:41 server.cfg

-rwxr-xr-x 1 arma2 arma2 1288 2011-04-07 17:45 server_co.cfg

lrwxrwxrwx 1 arma2 arma2 15 2011-04-05 11:24 squads -> tmp2302/squads/

drwx--x--x 2 arma2 arma2 4096 2011-04-10 03:19 tmp2302

-rwxr-xr-x 1 arma2 arma2 6378 2011-04-05 01:53 tolower

shell script

#!/bin/bash

#

#=======================================================================

ARMA_DIR=/home/arma2/arma2arrowhead

SERVER=${ARMA_DIR}/server

# -cpucunt

CPUCOUNT=2

# -port

PORT=2302

RUNFILE=${ARMA_DIR}/${PORT}.run

LOGFILE=${ARMA_DIR}/dedicated_server.${PORT}.log

# -maxmem

MAXMEMORY=2047

# -pid

PIDFILE=${ARMA_DIR}/${PORT}.pid

# -config

CONFIG=server.cfg

# -name

PROFILE_NAME=administrator

# -cfg

ARMA2OACFG=arma2oa.cfg

# -exthreads

EXTHREADS=3

# -mod

MODIFICATION="expansion;ca"

# -profile

PROFILE_PATH=.

#=======================================================================

ulimit -c 100000

case "$1" in

start)

if [ -f ${RUNFILE} ]; then

$0 stop

fi

echo "Starting ArmA 2 server..."

# file to mark we want server running...

echo "go" >${RUNFILE}

# launch the background watchdog process to run the server

nohup </dev/null >/dev/null $0 watchdog &

echo -n

echo -server -port=${PORT} -maxmem=${MAXMEMORY} -pid=${PIDFILE} -config=${CONFIG} -name=${PROFILE_NAME} -cfg=${ARMA2OACFG} -exthreads=${EXTHREADS} -mod=${MODIFICATION} -profile=${PROFILE_PATH}

echo -n

;;

stop)

echo "Stopping ArmA 2 server..."

# ask watcher process to exit by deleting its runfile...

rm -f ${RUNFILE}

fi

# and terminate ArmA 2 server process

if [ -f ${PIDFILE} ]; then

kill -TERM $(< ${PIDFILE})

rm -f ${PIDFILE}

fi

fi

;;

status)

echo "Server should be running..."

else

echo "Server should not be running..."

fi

PID=$(< ${PIDFILE})

echo "PID file exists (PID=${PID})..."

if [ -f /proc/${PID}/cmdline ]; then

echo "Server process seems to be running..."

fi

fi

;;

check)

echo -n "ArmA 2 directory: ${ARMA_DIR} "

if [ -d ${ARMA_DIR} ]; then

echo "OK"

else

echo "MISSING!"

fi

echo -n "Server executable: ${SERVER} "

if [ -x ${SERVER} ]; then

echo "OK"

else

echo "ERROR!"

fi

echo "Port number: ${PORT}"

echo -n "Config file: ${CONFIG} "

if [ -f ${CONFIG} ]; then

echo "OK"

else

echo "MISSING!"

fi

echo "PID file: ${PIDFILE}"

echo "RUN file: ${RUNFILE}"

;;

restart)

$0 stop

$0 start

;;

watchdog)

# this is a background watchdog process. Do not start directly

while [ -f ${RUNFILE} ]; do

# launch the server...

cd ${ARMA_DIR}

echo >>${LOGFILE} "WATCHDOG ($$): [$(date)] Starting server (port ${PORT})..."

${SERVER} >>${LOGFILE} 2>&1 -server -port=${PORT} -maxmem=${MAXMEMORY} -pid=${PIDFILE} -config=${CONFIG} -name=${PROFILE_NAME} -cfg=${ARMA2OACFG} -exthreads=${EXTHREADS} -mod=${MODIFICATION} -profile=${PROFILE_PATH}

echo >>${LOGFILE} "WATCHDOG ($$): [$(date)] Server died, waiting to restart..."

sleep 5s

else

echo >>${LOGFILE} "WATCHDOG ($$): [$(date)] Server shutdown intentional, watchdog terminating"

fi

done

;;

*)

echo "$0 (start|stop|restart|status|check)"

;;

esac

Edited by jp.black.code

I'm new to linux server, is it normal that the server process use only 1 core? i start the server with -cpucount=4 and exthreads=1

I'm new to linux server, is it normal that the server process use only 1 core? i start the server with -cpucount=4 and exthreads=1

Mine uses 2 but I only use -cpucount=2

I think it makes little sense to use more than 2 cores because, from my tests, even in the most intense situations it uses one core and a half.

I did not know exthreads worked on dedicated..

even in the most intense situations it uses one core and a half.

That's what i noticed, i was running it with two cores and -cpucount=2 and it seemed that it barely used the second core, so i put there 2 more cores (vm) and start again with -cpucount=4, no diference. (3 wasted cores) I was trying to gain more server FPS or efficiency using the cores...

I've had an ArmA server with an older Sunfire V20Z and with a quad core i7 machine, RAID, plenty of run etc. and I have to say there was no parameter setting that could get the V20Z to even compare to a newer hardware. This to say in my experience the only way to gain FPS seems to be the overall hardware specifications..sadly..you don't need extreme machines but older generation stuff just doesn't cut, it is probably a matter of RAM speed, FSB etc.

You can still get a server up and running but the AI warping becomes a real annoyance..

Edited by Reezo

I've had an ArmA server with an older Sunfire V7Z and with a quad core i7 machine, RAID, plenty of run etc. and I have to say there was no parameter setting that could get the V7Z to even compare to a newer hardware. This to say in my experience the only way to gain FPS seems to be the overall hardware specifications..sadly..you don't need extreme machines but older generation stuff just doesn't cut, it is probably a matter of RAM speed, FSB etc.

You can still get a server up and running but the AI warping becomes a real annoyance..

Do you speak about a Linux dedicated server?

Can you explain what a "Sunfire V7Z" is?

...the thread is very silent since Dwarden answered on 04-02-2011, 10:43 AM "we will look into it for sure" ... it is a bit disappointing that nothing happen so far. I believe it is a minor thing and it is a pity to not provide a patch. The Linux servers suffering under less players due to that issue.

Probably, You did't understand some fact: they are indifferent to us (holders of Linux servers).

I, just, can't understand this: if it's too hard to support linux servers, then why do they continue to support linux server? It'll be a lot easier to support just one windows platform...

Probably, You did't understand some fact: they are indifferent to us (holders of Linux servers).

I, just, can't understand this: if it's too hard to support linux servers, then why do they continue to support linux server? It'll be a lot easier to support just one windows platform...

More whine, sir?

:rolleyes:

Be happy that they even support Linux dedicated servers; fewer and fewer developers do nowadays. Should they seriously stop supporting Linux just because of some minor problem with the server displaying a different icon in the MP overview? Get a fucking grip.

I told about server crashes 1.5 weak ago. Server colour status is not so important now. We can't play normally in Warfare mode as before (1.57 version).

I'm glad, that BIS developers supporting linux platform. But this support can't fix crashes, whiches I did not see in previous patches. Now this thread is empty about 2 weeks. Is it normal for supporting?

Yup. I confirm Spayker's words - two squadnights, over 6 server crashes. It kinda kills the fun on long missions (Limited Assets, War on Duala/Takistan, Combat Air-Assault etc.)... all the crashes with 1.59 made dedicated A2 linux server useless.

Ah, well crashes are something else. I was under the false impression that the server icon color was the major issue here.

Nothing to see here, move along...

Well, this fix'll come next year, I think. Let's continue to play on released "BETA" patched server.

Well, this fix'll come next year, I think. Let's continue to play on released "BETA" patched server.

Like said in post just before yours, zero crash dump and necessary info has been given to them, most notably by people here complaining about crashes.

So yes, maybe the fix will come next year.

Unless you turn into a constructive guy, and send the relevant info.

Again, the place to put it is there :

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/18757

GIVE YOUR CRASHDUMPS TO DWARDEN / CIT

The Linux server has always been labelled as beta - so what?

guys it's not like we ignore You,

the problems aren' as easy to 'resolve' as clap my hand and be it done ...

sometimes even downloading half dozen 600MB coredumps ends in vain as there is nothing usable :(

keep posting usable feedback and/or CIT reports/tickets and we will nail it sooner or later ...

Just run Warfare BE on Cherno map (2.067 or 2.068. 44 players). 1-2 of 3 games will be crashed. FPS just go down: 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0 dead. Version of warfare (44 players) is stable (We played it normally on 1.57 pached linux server). If you need server logs, I'll send it here later.

Download link of server log

Edited by Spayker