Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Introducing Take On Helicopters by Bohemia Interactive

Calm down nightsta1ker, dont forget this game is still in early development stage, a lots can be change.

they used this startup sound in almost every trailer teaser and i dont think its the final sound

they used this startup sound in almost every trailer teaser and i dont think its the final sound

The focus of the new video is to show the first animated parts in the cockpit (such as the collective pitch control and gauges), the animated sections of the exterior (such as doors), and the render-to-texture technology (real-time mirrors and onboard tv). Also you can enjoy the fidelity of the ground and our new weather technology.

As a side note, we do simulate torque and animate the pedals, and (braces for impact) that take off used auto-trim and auto-hover (runs for the hills). These are helper (read: noob) features which you actually have to choose to enable, and are designed for helping out new pilots (or, uh.. devs). We're actually writing the scripts for the take-off tutorial now... :o

Anyway, we hope you enjoyed our update.. PurePassion is right that our SFX are not final, but based on some of the raw audio captureed on our field trips! Check out an interview I thurst upon our exec producer for a little more info about the project generally.

Best,

RiE

The new weather system looks ace...

I'm still puzzled by how many projects BIS is working on at the same time : TOH, Carrier Command, and most probably the "soon to be announced" new Arma expansion/DLC/whatever...

I hope this isn't going to be detrimental to any, because I look forward to all of them...

@RIE : a fan of Baudelaire (looking at your sig) ?

Whew! I must say I was a little worried, but thanks for the reassurances. I guess I don't blame you fdor using auto trim and auto hover. Heck, there are pilots out there that can't fly without it! But I need that left pedal input if I am going be interersted at all in this game. No dynamics, no customer. The fact that you guys are using real pilots as advisors to the development gives me a warm fuzzy, though. Keep up the good work, looking foreward to more! Once again, sorry for the criticism, I just had to address the issues I saw. I have a lot of interest in how this game turns out.

It looks extremley promising.

I hope this is a new version of the RV engine, optimized and threaded and running smoothly, actualy physics, real damage.....Stuff that makes it realistic.

Somewhere it says it will be using the Arma 2 engine, but updated with pip and some other things.

thats correct

were all looking forward to the engine tweaks, enhancements and new features!

Is it just me, or does this game bare a striking resemblance to that old classic, SimCopter?

I mean I'm looking forward to this game more than any other and have always thought someone should do a modernisation of SC, but I'm surprised no-one has drawn the resemblance between the two earlier.

Obviously TOH is more of a sim, which is very exciting.

Your not the first one to do so Juzzy :)

I have never played Simcopter, and reading the description I was first reminded of Search and Rescue 4.

Edited by sparks50

For anyone who didn't see this "old" bonus 3 video yet.

W2lxesz7AaQ

Today description on TKOH's facebook page:

Bonus Material!

For those who didn't hang around until the end of our Modelling Update, be sure to check out the bonus video...

The motivation behind it was to provide a glimpse of the Render-to-Texture technology and hint at some of the potential gameplay opportunities!

...as well as seeing how far we could push the storm clouds in our new weather simulation!

I already noticed that ship is alight from lightning, is it same in Arma 2 with storm? or is it sign that new engine can handle more lighting source? I tried to simulate this condition in Arma2, but lightings are too rare and I stopped it.

I'm pretty sure lightening had that effect in Armed Assault.

I'm pretty sure lightening had that effect in Armed Assault.

You are right, its long time since I played ArmaI. I just want to say that it would be nice if new engine can handle more light sources, I'm aware that is difficult with almost unlimited shining objects in the game.

I was just watching the modelling update vid and wanted to throw an idea out there for BIS. In the scene when you are looking down at the ground and pulling pitch for takeoff, it really would add to the game if there were an animation for the skids spreading. When the skids don't move at all it just makes the whole model appear rigid and weightless. "Getting light on the skids" is an important part of feeling how a helicopter will hover before takeoff. If the skids don't squat and spread it makes it look like the aircraft just pops into the air, like they do in arma2.

Watch the skids spread:

I was just watching the modelling update vid and wanted to throw an idea out there for BIS. In the scene when you are looking down at the ground and pulling pitch for takeoff, it really would add to the game if there were an animation for the skids spreading. When the skids don't move at all it just makes the whole model appear rigid and weightless. "Getting light on the skids" is an important part of feeling how a helicopter will hover before takeoff. If the skids don't squat and spread it makes it look like the aircraft just pops into the air, like they do in arma2.

Watch the skids spread:

+1 on this. Good call man!

Watch the skids spread:

+1. Interesting detail.

Now when Arma 3 is introduced and it's sure that will have PhysX, as far as THOK is also partly "Take on Arma3", I see it plausible that with new physics engine skid spreading will be feasible. I hope that THOK will have new physics engine, some feauture like rope is hard to simulate with Arma 2 engine. Also wasn't mentioned if THOk will have Directx 10 or I just didn't notice it. Maybe they don't want spoil it before Arma 3 announcement. It's just my speculations, dreams. Let be suprised.

p.s. It also depends on if developers will have time for it, Godzilla model is also important ;).

"Getting light on the skids" is an important part of feeling how a helicopter will hover before takeoff.

Great point, well made. Currently, we're working on animations associated with the external areas of the chopper. Skid animations are part of this plan, including spread transitions and damage-state models.

The first thing we're looking at is damage, trying to properly detect and configure hard landings. Part of this process are the visual references, which also contribute to our planned pre-flight check and take-off gameplay.

Getting a sense of the chopper being 'light on its skids' can be fed-back to the player in a number ways, and we do consider the visual aspect of this to be important. We'll certainly see about including any progress in our future video updates.

Best,

RiE

Excellent, great to hear the attention to detail that's involved. Sounds certain to please the sim crowd too.

Any possible comment on TheBlessedPig's suggestion? *cheeky grin*

Sounds good RiE! I wish I lived closer to CZ to help in the focus group but every time you guys post, it sounds more and more like the project is headed in the right direction. Keep up the good work.

No new ingame TKOH's picture, but "only" real photo from saturday's helicopter show which devs attended.

emergencyq.jpg

I found youtube videos from the show. Nice action. It's a pity I couldn't be there this year.

Lj22uItlYbA

mGP_SPaUWe4

So you said on facebook that you enjoyed it and colected some new inspiration, I hope we can expect something simillar in game ;).

Will be other emergency service (ambulance, fire brigade) in the game? So many questions and so little answers. No need to respond, I hope after E3 we will be well-informed, rather work on game. :)

p.s. Next time don't forget to take sun lotion.

Edited by BoboCZ

Thanks for the excellent copter videos. I can use them for instruction of aerodymantics of the airflow when the smoke moves into the main rotor blades and then is transitioned downward.

when the black copter flys into the smoke you can really see the end rotor vorticies. 4min :39 seconds into the video

-Adammo

Edited by Adammo

In addition to a veritable sling-load of reference photos, we've also got some pretty great videos.

We'll try to get chopped up and uploaded to our YT page later on in the week.

Best,

RiE

I have done sling load in the past.

I'm curious how this will be simulated in the game.

It works like a pendulum and the pilot needs to hang outside the copter door unless there is a bubble in the pilots’ window. The medium sized copters usually have a Torque gauge and other to view while looking straight down. This is besides the ones on the console.

The current issue with ARAM2 is that the pilot can’t look down and watch the load underneath so 3rd party view is needed much of the time to be able to see the load.

Sling load is a ton of fun. It makes the pilot fly the load while still keeping the copter from flipping over in a inherently unstable aircraft. The movements on the stick become counter intuitive because you have to move the copter with the load and not just concentrate on keeping the copter hovering.

the view of the pilot is usually down but still looking out to the 10 - 11 oclock horizontal position to mantain the horizon for the copter.

Adammo