Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Introducing Take On Helicopters by Bohemia Interactive

Well I don't think the guys from pc gamer would mind a little joke. :)

Besides the website is not available yet. And a domain costs like what, 12 dollars a year? :)

Agreed. Especially as PC Gamer lads love ArmA.... could be all in on one big joke...

And domains cost even less than that.... if it is a April Fools, it's actually not that expensive, and it's a hell of a April fool's that's for sure! If not, well... Look toward mods in ArmA 2... :) Flight Sim's arent really my thing...

Edited by the_antipop

If it's a joke, it's really well done :)

If it's not, at least it stays in the simulation area. Moreover, i remember having read somewhere that BIS wasn't sure to stay (exclusively ?) in the military simulation area.

"Powerful & intuitive mission editor."

sounds interesting

compatibility with arma 2 would be cool!

but to be honest, that concept doesnt appeal to me so much...

I personally don't think that it's a april fool's day joke. It seems like a waste of resources to model Seattle for a joke and a full scale invasion of the North-Western U.S. doesn't really seem like BI's MO. I could be wrong though I guess.

I personally don't think that it's a april fool's day joke. It seems like a waste of resources to model Seattle for a joke and a full scale invasion of the North-Western U.S. doesn't really seem like BI's MO. I could be wrong though I guess.

Yeah I agree, but it's still odd they release the information on April Fools... or very close too it... Surely they could have delayed at least 2 or so days...?

Ohwell...

nahh this whole take on helicopters is definitely not build up on an joke!

---------- Post added at 02:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 PM ----------

you dont really joke around with this kind of stuff

"Copyright © 2011 Bohemia Interactive a.s. All rights reserved. Take On Helicopters™ and Bohemia Interactive® are trademarks or registered trademarks of Bohemia Interactive a.s."

competitive multiplayer eh?

so we're going to be able to arm our helos with some ffars and stuff right :)

Helicopter vs. helicopter dogfights get very boring unless playing style restrictions to force pilots to move are imposed. Probably more like races and transportation contests.

Sydney time: Friday, April 1st 01:22

Just sayin'

:D

Edited by ]NTRUDER
time

So let's speculate. This can be also testing for BIS, like Table Tennis for Rockstar. Where they test their new engine for GTA4. BIS can try things like DX11, new flight models..... so on.

First game will be Take on helicopters then they will release Take on planes, Take on ....

After learning new thing and resting from wars game, they can release new shiny Arma 3. And of course they will use engine for BIS Simualtion, which can use it not only for army, but also for rescuers and in a similar way.

An opportunity for BIS to create another revenue stream from the ARMA 2 engine... monetize specific areas of the engine.

Sounds like Take On Heli might be the first of many... not sure what other parts of the engine will lend themselves to isolated sims without duplicating what ARMA 2 does. Flight Sim market is too competitive, what other civ sims could they do?

1. terrain is simple satellite image aswell the houses (space Needle) etc could be an montage

the only thing that looks like there was put a lot effort in, are the heli modells

2. we have arma 2 water in this picture http://takeonthegame.com/paraslide/images/slides/TakeOnH-4.jpg

3. "Harry Larkin's aviation business has fallen on tough times. Built up over decades, it's now only days away from closure. His sons face an uncertain future, struggling to save the company their father spent his whole life building. Together, they must take on contracts and competitors; together, they take on helicopters! "

so if thats the storyline what about this http://takeonthegame.com/paraslide/images/slides/TakeOnH-2.jpg

there is still hope! ;)

what do you think about this?

Edited by PurePassion

Sounds like Take On Heli might be the first of many... not sure what other parts of the engine will lend themselves to isolated sims without duplicating what ARMA 2 does. Flight Sim market is too competitive, what other civ sims could they do?

Automobiles, bikes and segways.

Think about it. How many games (or sims) are out there that simulate driving outside a racing track, let alone letting you get out of the car and continue by walking? There are countless fields of work that involve automobiles, such as delivery of cargo, distributable packages, people, paramedic and police work, getaway driving and cruising around town to impress potential girlfriends. GTA & clones of course, but not in a sim-like fashion and always leaning toward criminal activities.

Edited by Celery

I am calling bull-hickey... They ain't gonna get me this year (again).

If it's a joke

it's really well done :)

Thanks, guys!

Let me make a few quick points while you pick over the carcass of the announcement. Though I'm sure my sage wisdom will soon become buried under a pile of new comments. :D

The announcement of Take On obviously doesn't mean that support for arma 2 will be dropped. With a new patch soonâ„¢ to be released, the imminent arrival of A2:Reinforcements, and some as-yet-unannounced plans in the pipeline, we'll be chained to our bug-fixing desks for some time to come.

We've got more than one team, and they're all within relative kicking distance for those show-stoppers, tweaks, and optimisations. Just think of us as a multi-core CPU, except we're submersible in beer. Anyway, we've never heard of any developer just suddenly slashing support for a product with little warning. :p

The ongoing developments and tech improvements we're able to focus on in Take On are bound to filter down to other and future projects. We've got a more in-depth interview about the whole shabam coming up soon, and I just know the community will get giddy when they read about them. DID SOMEONE SAY PiPRENDERTOTEXTURE?!?!

This project is certainly closer to the arma engine and family than other ongoing developments, which is another reason we felt it was appropriate to post on the Arma 2 FB channel (Though, I thought you guys had all boycotted such privacy-threatening nonsense! :p). Also, only 400 of you fine gentlemen and ladies 'like' the official BI channel. Fiends.

TL;DR Haters gonna hate; helicopters rule.

Best,

RiE

Edited by RoyaltyinExile
but that's not to that we're finished playign games with you just yet........

There are tons of shitty simulators for all kinds of things like this:

1DsL31bkim8

VvDNtLnDdBE

needless to say, they are abominations ;)

Reading into the supposed storyline I again am not sure:

"Harry Larkin's aviation business has fallen on tough times. Built up over decades, it's now only days away from closure. His sons face an uncertain future, struggling to save the company their father spent his whole life building. Together, they must take on contracts and competitors; together, they take on helicopters! "

Could be metaphorical for:

"Bohemia Interactive has fallen on tough times. Built up over decades, it's now only days away from closure. His sons face an uncertain future, struggling to save the company their father spent his whole life building. Together, they must take on contracts and competitors; together, they take on helicopters!"

Contracts and competitors being the gaming industries 'GAME'.

Whether this is actual reasoning/justification for their move into a 'more accessible' game, or the tag line for an incredibly elaborate practical... well I guess we'll see.

Edited by Electricleash

"but that's not to that we're finished playign games with you just yet........ "

God, i'm going to take some aspirins.... :ill:

Thanks, guys!

Let me make a few quick points while you pick over the carcass of the announcement. Though I'm sure my sage wisdom will soon become buried under a pile of new comments. :D

The announcement of Take On obviously doesn't mean that support for arma 2 will be dropped. With a new patch soonâ„¢ to be released, the imminent arrival of A2:Reinforcements, and some as-yet-unannounced plans in the pipeline, we'll be chained to our bug-fixing desks for some time to come.

We've got more than one team, and they're all within relative kicking distance for those show-stoppers, tweaks, and optimisations. Just think of us as a multi-core CPU, except we're submersible in beer. Anyway, we've never heard of any developer just suddenly slashing support for a product with little warning. :p

The ongoing developments and tech improvements we're able to focus on in Take On are bound to filter down to other and future projects. We've got a more in-depth interview about the whole shabam coming up soon, and I just know the community will get giddy when they read about them. DID SOMEONE SAY PiP?!?!

This project is certainly closer to the arma engine and family than other ongoing developments, which is another reason we felt it was appropriate to post on the Arma 2 FB channel (Though, I thought you guys had all boycotted such privacy-threatening nonsense! :p). Also, only 400 of you fine gentlemen and ladies 'like' the official BI channel. Fiends.

TL;DR Haters gonna hate; helicopters rule.

Best,

RiE

Are you guys seriously going to ignore RiE just mentioning them working on Picture in Picture technology for the VR2 engine?! :yay: