Sign in to follow this  
ron533

Looking 4 a free roaming utility to tour islands

Hi,

Sorry if it has been asked before (and answered),

I couldn't find a tool/utility/mod that I can use to freely roam new (and old) islands

and just check them out quickly without really flying, like the "slew" option in flight simulator,

or even Google Earth for that matter. Google ArmA...

(It's probably there for the Islands dev's, but I'm not looking for SDK)

Thanks,

Ron

whats wrong with init line: this exec "camera.sqs" ... and using mouse for fast slew?

whats wrong with init line: this exec "camera.sqs" ... and using mouse for fast slew?

Thanks!

Just checked on youtube how to use it (not very friendly, or intuitive...)

Can you make it run faster to cover big islands?? the shift is not fast enough.

Edited by ron533

I think you can put it into the init field of the player character. I thought that's how it works but I haven't used it in a while.

If you don't mind being on the ground all of the time, you could also use the map screen to warp to the location clicked by adding this line to the player's init:

onMapSingleClick "player setPos _pos";

I get the AI to drive me around new islands... you see that "overhead" view the whole time you're working on a terrain, and since when you're checking out progress you're still looking at larger areas usually, the tendency is to fly around over it... then when you finally get down on the ground - which is how most players see things most of the time - things look awful different and all sorts of mistakes suddenly become obvious...

It's also interesting seeing how the AI "see" the island... what they think is a viable route, what objects they'll ram happily and what they avoid successfully... Start on the road at one side of the map with a basic jeep with AI driver - give him a waypoint - also on a road - clear across on the other side of the map, and sit back with a coffee and 3rd person/freelook view with one finger ready with the screengrab key... :D

If the driver has a little think, then sets off confidently then it's always a good sign that the road network is producing viable routes across the map... Then you can sit back and let the scenery flow by...

For fast hopping around the mapclick trick works well, and I use camera.sqs for screenshots from different perspectives too, but wandering around on foot, or driving around - literally - like a tourist, is the best way to see a new terrain - and provide feedback for terrain-makers too, since most of the time they don't see their own landscapes that way

B

Use VTS (Virtual Training System) by gonza and LEtranger. There is a superb camera system that can take you anywhere!

A nice slow plane and third person for the initial recce, then like Bushlurker says, on foot or bicycle are the way to go so you spot every detail.

I tend to hike or cycle everywhere on the maps, including during warfare games etc and there are tons of little hidden touches and details in BIS own maps and with user created ones too.

Thanks!

Just checked on youtube how to use it (not very friendly, or intuitive...)

Hey! That was back when I was brand new to video making. :(

Nah, I should really look at making a 2.0 of that some time. One that doesn't suck. :p

Hey! That was back when I was brand new to video making. :(

Nah, I should really look at making a 2.0 of that some time. One that doesn't suck. :p

LOL Zipper ;)

I didn't mean your video (thank you 4 that) was not friendly or intuitive - but the way to activate the camera script is (for someone like me at least. BIS could have just added a "Camera" function...duh:p)...

You did great and it worked for me after some trial & error.

I still wonder if there is a way to move way faster (as fast as a jet)???:confused:

because it is real slow to tour a big island like that.

(And a plane is not a suitable/comfortable way to tour like I want to).

Thanks