Sign in to follow this  
cHk4

Want to get in to ArmA 2.

Hello all, hope you're all well.

Let me start by saying I hope this is in the right section and if not I apologize.

I've recently started to get in to sim games and I've started playing flight sims and I enjoy the realism of them. From what I gather ArmA 2 offers the same level of realism as these FS do but on a FPS level which really appeal to me. So below are a few questions I have if you don't mind me asking.

1) I don't mean to keep mentioning it but with one of the FS I play you get to fly missions then at the end you can get a break down of every stat, things like bullets shot, amount of kills, amount of things blown up, accuracy etc. Does this have things like that?

2) From what I read when the game first came out I remember it being literally just co-op. Can you do PvP in this game? If so can you have say 2 teams with objectives and what not, like Team A have to protect a VIP, team B have to assassinate him and there are NPCs also attacking each team?

3) Are there many players that play this?

4) Where is the cheapest place to get these from, I see there is a new expansion coming out Friday, what does that add to the game? But yea where is the best place to get the first two from (I'm based in England.)

5) How many players can be in one game?

6) Are there many clans out there? Also any that accept noobies? I'm used to run and gun FPS, BFBC2, BF2, Crysis2, CoD etc.

I had loads more questions but I forgot them now :(

Hello all, hope you're all well.

Let me start by saying I hope this is in the right section and if not I apologize.

I've recently started to get in to sim games and I've started playing flight sims and I enjoy the realism of them. From what I gather ArmA 2 offers the same level of realism as these FS do but on a FPS level which really appeal to me. So below are a few questions I have if you don't mind me asking.

1. not embedded in the core game for bullets and things blown, but the mission can provide these stats for you if you need. There is no general acount counter for your stats. For the rest such as kills, killed, air kills, ground kills, in MP at least there is a score view. For sp, there is a stat view at the end of the said mission (most of the time)

2. yes, pvp is a part (not as big as coop) of the game. With the mission editor you can adjust basically everything you feel like, per you needs, adn create whatever scenario you want

3. it depends where you draw the line for many. During high times there are about 2000 (IRC) online players at a time

4. Sproket - download version. grab A2:Combined Operations (A2+OA)

5. in theory, as many as the hardware can handle. For pvp (tvt) the record is about 125+ for a 3h game. The number decreases proportionality with the number of AI used in a mission. The avereage is around 20-30 most of the times

6. There are in fact more squads/clans then servers :) and belive me there are a lot of servers, even if not all full most of the time. Have a look HERE

Edited by PuFu

Thanks for that mate, I noticed there are rather a lot of different downloads on that page you gave me.

Which ones do I need? Arma 2: Combined Operations - would that be fine and bring me up to date? Do I need that British thing too?

Welcome to the Forums and to this game :)

You need Combined Operations (CO), British Armed Forces (BAF) and Private Military Company (PMC) are optional. These two DLCs are on the verge of a hardcopy release on 1 April (Reinforcements). You as a Brit would probably enjoy British Armed Forces. In standard CO you have a Lite version of both, all weapons, units, and vehicles with low-res textures. So you'll be able to test it or play on servers where this content is required.

The best way to get a multiplayer experience that fits your gusto is to check with a few clans or communities. There's quite a number of communities that play both coops and pvp on a regular basis. Hit their forums or teamspeak, talk to them, get the server password if required and see if you're having fun there being their guest.

Have a look here:

http://forums.bistudio.com/forumdisplay.php?f=90

Edited by Flattermann

With the latest patches you get a lite version of the two expansions since CO or OA where released.

1). British Forces

2). Private Military Co

This means you can play the game even on servers with these mods enabled, but the textures are lower quality.

If you like them or want them, you can buy them for a good price.

So in short...you don't neccessarily need them, the game just looks much better on servers or on downloaded missions that use those expansions.

Thanks

Frosty

PS: Flatterman beat me to it.... : )

PS: Flatterman beat me to it.... : )

LOL :) but hell yeah that British stuff really rocks, I'm getting this Reinforcments anyway ;)

bohemia is a bit tifferent than other developers, so, no, you don't need baf and pmc, since you got light versions in the patches.

lite versions is like a preview, downgraded in quality, but compatible wit the full versions.

i'd go fot the combined operations. and, later, if you find that you want to, you can get the dlc's

hmmm, 3 times the charm :p

beaten by both flaterman and j_frost ;)

Haha, thanks all for the advice. Can't wait for my TrackIR to come, looking forward to testing with this game :)

Ok I see on steam this game is only £30 for both, is the Steam version ok?

Steam is personal choice. I prefer sprocket because once i've downloaded the file i can back it up onto disk and have a copy that i don't need to re-download. Steam well, i have a mate that has re-downloaded ArmA2 from steam 4 times in the last week only run into problems everytime. But choice is yours :)

Have fun!

Why has he had to download it out of interest? I've got about 75 games on steam and never had a issue with it. Is it due to the mods mate? Not saying you're wrong just asking out of interest.

Ok cool, I'll purchase it stand alone then :) Can get it on Direct 2 Drive today for £27 which isn't too bad.

I'm now just hoping I can run everything on high/max. Last time I played this I had a i7@4.2 with 2x4890 now I have a OCed 580... Fingers crossed!

Edited by cHk4

Why has he had to download it out of interest? I've got about 75 games on steam and never had a issue with it. Is it due to the mods mate? Not saying you're wrong just asking out of interest.

Not to sure, his computer was in active for a few months and after it was bought back to life and things replaced steam was re-installed and all his games bar a few work fine but arma2 and a couple of others are giving him grief. Besides steam can be a hassle when it comes to mods/addons, and that alone puts me off it, as this community releases so many cool things for us to shoot, crash and blow up!

Personally i have no issue with digital downloads as long as i get to easily save/backup the file i downloaded and that im not forced to run said software though another program.

Have fun and check some of the mods/addon out for more realism enhancements... and some really cool shit to blow other shit up with :)

Ok cool, I'll purchase it stand alone then :) Can get it on Direct 2 Drive today for £27 which isn't too bad.

I'm now just hoping I can run everything on high/max. Last time I played this I had a i7@4.2 with 2x4890 now I have a OCed 580... Fingers crossed!

I don't think D2D sells the combined ops bundle. That is by far your best bang for the buck, just make sure you grab that, and not OA standalone or A2 standalone (although you can buy it laters, CO costs 5EUs more than OA standalone, and A2 by itself is about 35 EUs)

I don't think D2D sells the combined ops bundle. That is by far your best bang for the buck, just make sure you grab that, and not OA standalone or A2 standalone (although you can buy it laters, CO costs 5EUs more than OA standalone, and A2 by itself is about 35 EUs)

Thanks for that mate, I got A2 and OA also for £27 from D2D. As far as I'm aware it's a stand alone edition. Thanks for that :) Can't wait to download and start playing.

Also I seen things about merging A2 and OA together, I don't really understand. So OA is a standalone exp however needs the first one to run?

Friend of mine got a similar setup, superclocked 580, 2 SSDs, Phenom II X6 and he has all cranked up (apart from PostProcessing) with more than decent FPS. Try the Operation Arrowhead demo, but with your setup there's really no need to worry.

Also I seen things about merging A2 and OA together, I don't really understand. So OA is a standalone exp however needs the first one to run?

No you need either A2 or OA or both, both makes it combined ops.

Install ArmA2, then OA, then get the latest official patch 1.57. One of the short cuts in your OA folder should be ArmA2 Combined Ops. Run that and your good to go!

The most important thing for decent frame rates in ArmA2 is your cpu! Latest gfx cards don't help as much in this game as they do in others, do a search in these forums for some tips about getting the most out of the game with what you have, but @ 4.2Ghz there wouldn't be many released missions out there that would degrade your performance, although it could easily be done with this game.

well OA does not require the basic ArmA2, but Multiplayer does, 99,9% of all servers run missions with content from both. Just get CO and you're on the safe side.

1. Install ArmA2 - no need to patch

2. Install OA - pick the same install directory ...\BohemiaInteractive\ArmA 2 (needs to be picked / navigated to by hand!)

3. Apply patch 1.57 (resp. the latest)

4. Enojy the game :) - arma2oa.exe, as snoops said