Sign in to follow this  
Darkhorse 1-6

If A War Were To Break-out...

I wanted to get away from the seriousness and dread of the Libyan thread, and I thought of a legitimate question. (First time for everything :D)

Would you, as a gamer (excluding active/reserve/retired/national guard military personnel who prowl these forums. Just civilians or "Realism National Guard"smen :p) take up arms if a war were to break out in your country?

It doesn't matter who/what/where etc. just a plain old fashioned invasion/ civil war/rebellion. Red Dawn style, "Tomorrow when the war began" style, "Invasion" (Book by Eric L. Harry) style, Homefront style, it doesn't matter.

Would you become a rebel/guerrilla/soldier if the need arose?

Edited by Darkhorse 1-6

Sure. If someone will try to make a revolution in my country, I will take the arms and... kill all those rebels, because revolution is worst scenario for the country. Especially for my.

Regerding invasion... again I will defend my neighbourhood, no matter of my status - soldier or just a civilian with gun.

intriguing question, Invasion, well if the BMP where to take charge of the UK and say france and germany came to help out then i would help the french and germans, because of the current government. I would mostly likley fight in a situation we i feel warents the sacrifice.

I'm in australia, the only chance we would have would be hit and run tactics from the bush.

But yeah sure if the right situation arose and people had time to prepare I'm sure the majority would do the right thing.

Wars are much faster paced than the last world war, countries are able to mobilze large amounts of troops/equipment very quickly and the weapons have many more times the destuction power.

Does it count if its our own govt/s that become the oppressor/s? We are lucky we have very dense bush here probably the worst bush in the world to go through, most of us that are well armed here would resort to oportunistic A-Symetric warfare.

@ Darkhorse

In germany most males would not have a chance. we still have a conscript army and every second male is a reservist. Not reporting in after three days in case of proclamation of state of defence is prosecuted as defecting.

On the other hand...our country is to small for fleeign somewhere to be out of the trouble...so its like defending a ship. Main parts of our basic training where in fact with a focus on guerilla war already...My batallion for example was proposed to dig in 12km away from our base in large forete area and operate in the back of the frontline to cut support lines there, not trying to stop the advance at all first hand.

Beeing a soldier in that case is quite important even in a guerilla war, because in case of captivity you receive soem protection by geneve convetion...irregular combatants do not...they can be labeled partisans or terrorist and persecuted as such.

I don't think playing Rebel makes any sense in the actual state of war against a real army such as the eastern block armies presented in our scenarios...such actions make much more sense in the state of occupation after the big battles.

Edited by Beagle

well I would use my .22 on something more that fox's, unless we're being invaded by fox's...

well I would use my .22 on something more that fox's, unless we're being invaded by fox's...
We are currently invaded by racoons...no joke. Damned expatriates.

We are currently invaded by racoons...no joke. Damned expatriates.

Hardly an invasion i'd say. We cut down their natural resources and leave them no choice imo. They either get used to live with us or die.

I'm in australia, the only chance we would have would be hit and run tactics from the bush.

im an aussie too, lets fight together :D

)rStrangelove;1884413']Hardly an invasion i'd say. We cut down their natural resources and leave them no choice imo. They either get used to live with us or die.
The main point is that their population explodes in my region...they have adapted to well to town life.

I don't know if the same problems occur in north america, where the racoons were settled over in the 30's. There a re not predators here anymore that could deal with Racoons.

@ Darkhorse

In germany most males would not have a chance. we still have a conscript army and every second male is a reservist. Not reporting in after three days in case of proclamation of state of defence is prosecuted as defecting.

On the other hand...our country is to small for fleeign somewhere to be out of the trouble...so its like defending a ship. Main parts of our basic training where in fact with a focus on guerilla war already...My batallion for example was proposed to dig in 12km away from our base in large forete area and operate in the back of the frontline to cut support lines there, not trying to stop the advance at all first hand.

Beeing a soldier in that case is quite important even in a guerilla war, because in case of captivity you receive soem protection by geneve convetion...irregular combatants do not...they can be labeled partisans or terrorist and persecuted as such.

I don't think playing Rebel makes any sense in the actual state of war against a real army such as the eastern block armies presented in our scenarios...such actions make much more sense in the state of occupation after the big battles.

I remember a joke about the German army where it says that the german army is only supposed to slow down the enemy until the military arrives.

What would I do if a war broke out? Well...if croatia was invaded again by someone, I would definately go and enlist into the army as would most croatians. If there was some sort of rebellion...well thats a different story. It would depend on the actuall scenario.

I remember a joke about the German army where it says that the german army is only supposed to slow down the enemy until the military arrives.

There was indeed some thruth in this when lookign at the drills and strategies we were tought...training in 1994 was still "cold war" tactics despite the fact we already hat contingents sitting in somalia with gear made for european climate....the BW high command was a bit slow to adapt to the new reality after the warsaw pact suddently collapsed. Edited by Beagle

They are still a bit slow.....

Read the book Endstation Kabul (its german, don´t know if this is also translated into english)

Then you will see how slooow the High command really is

They are still a bit slow.....

Read the book Endstation Kabul (its german, don´t know if this is also translated into english)

Then you will see how slooow the High command really is

This was exactly what our last MoD was about to solve...just before he was forced to resign last month. Conspiracy anyone?

Would you, as a gamer (excluding active/reserve/retired/national guard military personnel who prowl these forums. Just civilians or "Realism National Guard"smen ) take up arms if a war were to break out in your country?

If there would be a war in your country, you can forgett all these standing and regular operating armys. They will lose the first beat and they can falling apart realy fast.

When 9/11 happend, some of my friends joined the military.

And now, i see my "friends" down there in the sandbox, wearing badges that say "Pork eating crusader" or "infidel" and all these shit to provoke the people who life there. They become the aggressive occupation force that i would fight if this would be happen here.

If there would be... lets say chinese forces on the streets in denver, wearing patches like "red yellow redcoat gives a f**k about your freedom", i would shoot at them as well.

Does it count if its our own govt/s that become the oppressor/s?

How many people were murdered by there own governments?

Hey, if you will realy fight for your country and your people, forgett the military. Forgett it. They will just use you as cannon fodder.

But people will fight for there village, for there town, for there families.

Better learn how to build a gun, learn how to make ammunition and learn everything about guerilla warfare. Especially you life in the USA, you can still buy books about those things. I've found also a few books from the swiss armed forces, so i guess these would be good sources for people who speak german or what ever they speak in switzerland.

If there would be a war in your country, you can forgett all these standing and regular operating armys. They will lose the first beat and they can falling apart realy fast.

When 9/11 happend, some of my friends joined the military.

And now, i see my "friends" down there in the sandbox, wearing badges that say "Pork eating crusader" or "infidel" and all these shit to provoke the people who life there. They become the aggressive occupation force that i would fight if this would be happen here.

If there would be... lets say chinese forces on the streets in denver, wearing patches like "red yellow redcoat gives a f**k about your freedom", i would shoot at them as well.

How many people were murdered by there own governments?

Hey, if you will realy fight for your country and your people, forgett the military. Forgett it. They will just use you as cannon fodder.

But people will fight for there village, for there town, for there families.

Better learn how to build a gun, learn how to make ammunition and learn everything about guerilla warfare. Especially you life in the USA, you can still buy books about those things. I've found also a few books from the swiss armed forces, so i guess these would be good sources for people who speak german or what ever they speak in switzerland.

C'ome on Minuteman,in the most inner part of yourself you know that such an "guerilla" has no chance to win...they just prologn the suffering...thats happening right now in A-stand and Iraq. And are you really serious about shooting peopele wearign the wrong batches...thats odd...really odd.

Playing the militia minutemen is ony funny in your militia camp on weeksend...the militit wil go dowjn i thew first airtrike or combines infantry & armour advance...you're just a speedbump a annoyance that will delay the advance of the whole platoon for 20 minutes.

Minuteman militia was a idea back in the days when cal .75 Muskets and horsetowed artillery with a range of 3km was state of the art.

back in that time a militia could make a stand...but not today anymore.

Thats would not even have worked back in the late 19. Century.

C'ome on Minuteman,in the most inner part of yourself you know that such an "guerilla" has no chance to win...

"we are the borg resistance is futile"

resistance is never futile. resistance is victory.

"we are the borg resistance is futile"

resistance is never futile. resistance is victory.

But you can't cheat the Borg twice the same way...and once you run out if ideas. Maybee beeing a Borg drone is not that bad either?

I wanted to get away from the seriousness and dread of the Libyan thread, and I thought of a legitimate question. (First time for everything :D)

Would you, as a gamer (excluding active/reserve/retired/national guard military personnel who prowl these forums. Just civilians or "Realism National Guard"smen :p) take up arms if a war were to break out in your country?

It doesn't matter who/what/where etc. just a plain old fashioned invasion/ civil war/rebellion. Red Dawn style, "Tomorrow when the war began" style, "Invasion" (Book by Eric L. Harry) style, Homefront style, it doesn't matter.

Defending? If my country needs my help, it's probably already too late... but of course I would join the military if I could or do whatever I could to help. I would not hesitate if we were invaded.

Rebelling? I hope it never comes down to that here... too hypothetical for me to respond.

I have no military experience, but do have plenty of experience with firearms. I hunt but that is nothing like shooting a person. I'd imagine tougher times might toughen me up, and me and my circle of friends and family are way more armed than the average person... but it's nothing I look forward to ever happening. I'm not a weekend warrior by any means... but yes, I would bear arms for my country.

Maybee beeing a Borg drone is not that bad either?

Should we ask a gulag survivor about that?

I have no military experience, but do have plenty of experience with firearms. I hunt but that is nothing like shooting a person. I'd imagine tougher times might toughen me up, and me and my circle of friends and family are way more armed than the average person... but it's nothing I look forward to ever happening. I'm not a weekend warrior by any means... but yes, I would bear arms for my country.
First thing I had to learn in basic training...military procedure is not about or like huntmanship or the likes. It's far more technical, unpersonal and destructive...also to the surrounding environtment.

@ Minutemen...The Borg do not run Gulags...you will be assimilated in minutes from within by nanoprobes.

The point is...as soon as you are Borg you begin to like it.

Edited by Beagle

If all my friends were doing it.

Or if I felt my loved ones were under the kind of threat I could diminish by doing so.

I'm pretty much expendable in my eyes. No great lose to society if I don't come home one day.

Edited by Baff1

First thing I had to learn in basic training...military procedure is not about or like huntmanship or the likes. It's far more technical, unpersonal and destructive...also to the surrounding environtment.

I agree with you 100%. While I have much more firearms experience than the average civilian, it means nothing compared to actual military training... which I have none. ;)