Sign in to follow this  
Dongolev

A-10 loses speed and stalls at low AoA... is that accurate?

Having spent my fair share of time playing MSFS, I can't recall even the Cessna losing speed at full throttle at a 10 degree angle of attack. But the jet-powered A-10 seems to sink, stall, and slog. Is that really how they fly or a glitch? It's caused me to die countless times.

Hello,

Dont know if that is realistic, but I do know if you dont keep the speed up over 200 it will sink on you, and the main gun being on the nose,

you want to have enough speed going to be able to shoot the gun and then enough to pull out of it.

I'm sure someone can clear this question up for us.

Dotn forget that all readouts in arma are in KM/h not knots. 200 km/h is barely 108 knots, thats below stall speed (120kn) for a A-10.

Try something around 400-600km/h for combat manouvering.

Edited by Beagle

The A-10 in ArmA is horrendous in this respect. It's much improved in Arma2. Not perfect, but certainly flyable.

Yea stalls are screwy in Arma2. I've brought it up before but seemed to come to some disagreement for some reason.

I think the problem is with scale. The average speed that one needs to fly in the resricted world of Arma is lower then your average real world combat operations flight, so if you scale down the average speed you have to also scale down the stall speed.

Are you sure the aircraft speeds are in metric? The A-10 is supposed to top out at 450 kts and that would mean the thing is only flying at 300 max. I always did wonder who the idiot was who put everything in metric when the US Military uses imperial measurements.

I also can't understand how it's so hard for them to make aircraft that behave right. If you can't do super realistic aircraft physics, even a kindergartner could figure out that you just use simplified and easy arcade physics.

---------- Post added at 03:01 ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 ----------

Dotn forget that all readouts in arma are in KM/h not knots. 200 km/h is barely 108 knots, thats below stall speed (120kn) for a A-10.

Try something around 400-600km/h for combat manouvering.

It may well be that the speed is in metric but that doesn't explain why the plane does not accelerate when throttled to full if the nose is even slightly up.

Are you sure the aircraft speeds are in metric? The A-10 is supposed to top out at 450 kts and that would mean the thing is only flying at 300 max. I always did wonder who the idiot was who put everything in metric when the US Military uses imperial measurements.

I also can't understand how it's so hard for them to make aircraft that behave right. If you can't do super realistic aircraft physics, even a kindergartner could figure out that you just use simplified and easy arcade physics.

---------- Post added at 03:01 ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 ----------

It may well be that the speed is in metric but that doesn't explain why the plane does not accelerate when throttled to full if the nose is even slightly up.

It's not just Americans, around the world in aeronautics, the imperial system is used.

The problem with planes I think is that they modeled drag and lift (simplistically) and weight but Thrust isn't modeled right. Aircraft performance isn't limited by max speed but rated max thrust and it's relation to drag and weight. The max speed is the result.