Sign in to follow this  
lightspeed_aust

Ghost Recon - c09 - Farm Night - beta

I am going to do the original campaign GR missions one by one and test them as I go eventually rebuilding most of at least a lot of good GR missions and some new ones too.

Starting with remake of Farm Night.

You will need Podagorsk - http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=8791&highlight=PODAGORSK

And Norrins Fastrope - http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=5791&highlight=FASTROPE

This is built for MP lan/dedicated server.

Please post feedback here.

Mission dload - http://www.zshare.net/download/882690497b006cff/

Edited by Lightspeed_aust

First off your URL links in OFP are wrong :)

I played this under wrong conditions so maybe ignore me to a point, I played SP under MP as leader using one man (me) in the slot just to "see".

Anyway, Most obvious is mission name on loading screen and picture are wrong and IT missions (I assume thats last to fiddle with your end). Also the fast rope idea, I thought it was odd to be dependant on that when that wasn't in original mission. Also I dont understand its use when heli LZ is in a clear away from enemy in an open field? Also I had no direct indication to select fast rope options, so if that stays maybe a radio message from pilot to prompt, maybe?

That all went ok I moved just south to the first building right by the LZ .. and looked around, all of a sudden a lone man was running toward my position, I though it was a Civvy running, closer and closer he came until he ran past me and to the building at LZ and stopped. I walked up and it was a pilot ... I captured him and second objective for pilot was complete. Effectively he ran from objective all the way to LZ right up to me ... !? Very odd that was hehe.

I didn't get much further to test, and again im not realy running via server with 9 slots in MP, just as LAN for me to try, so take my feedback with a slight pinch of salt :)

You will need Podagorsk

And Norrins Fastrope

links dont work - managed to find the island HERE but there's a couple of versions of fastrope by norrin HERE, and HERE so can you please specify which is the correct one..

sorry links fixed - dont know why they did that initially - bizarre.

pilot ran to you? first id say thats very lucky for you. second that is not supposed to happen lol. will check that out.

all the other stuff mrcash is to be fixed but just want to see how the mission works - just early testing.

---------- Post added at 10:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 AM ----------

Also the fast rope idea, I thought it was odd to be dependant on that when that wasn't in original mission. Also I dont understand its use when heli LZ is in a clear away from enemy in an open field? Also I had no direct indication to select fast rope options, so if that stays maybe a radio message from pilot to prompt, maybe?

good points here - this was really a test to see how well it works in MP - may take it out of this mission in future and use it in others. also, it's true that the original you start on the ground, however, the Ghosts did insert by some means - could have been a fastrope (we'll never know) :)

The Ghosts did insert by some means - could have been a fastrope (we'll never know)
I got a sneaking suspicion they inserted via stealth on this particular one :) Over some fences and into a open field .. "going with night-vision" ... :cool:

Oh and its day time? This was a night mission right, in OGR?

BTW .. this map and mission in OGR was one of my top favourites of the whole thing, I think I played that farm map so many ways until it was inside out, day & night, snow ... rain ... etc. It was this mission that I played my very first MP experience and it was via Alpha Squad, I was blown away by it, damn, come December it will have been 10 years ... ! I used to love the running water stream, coming up over the lip of that bank and scoping out the patrolling AI at the barn ready to take some headshots, oh the memories.

Edited by mrcash2009

Just my opinion but heres my thoughts so far

GOOD:

1. Loving the fast rope.
  2. No errors so far (not that I've managed to finish it yet).
  3. OGR is back!!! :)

NOT SO GOOD:

1. Insertion is too far from mission area.
  2. Area is too dense giving AI a big advantage here - OGR Farm was more open than the area you choose for this.
  3. It's daytime not night (night vision scoped weapons need adding too).

Looking forward to whats coming with improvements to this and of course the later missions in the campaign - keep up the good work :yay:

yep cool - taking all this on board - was just a test run and i want to make a lot of improvements. it is not close enough to the original yet but ill get it there - ideally i would like to have crossing via the stream but i think height of the water will be the main problem - you will go into a swim animation.

yep cool - taking all this on board - was just a test run and i want to make a lot of improvements. it is not close enough to the original yet but ill get it there - ideally i would like to have crossing via the stream but i think height of the water will be the main problem - you will go into a swim animation.

Add the mod TrueMod "GamePlay" not the "User" (It's mainly a FOV and UI mod, not needed for this IMO) into it and that will solve that issue, you can swim all you like, also improves some of the transitions and animation speeds, which will also be alot more GR like.

my fix for water is to use ACE2 which i will be using for all future missions - there is just too much good stuff to leave it out and many benefits to having it in - which includes not losing all your gear after 30 seconds in the water. this is a bonus because it means you choose where to cross the river instead of having to use a bridge for the crossing.

and i think i can also remove the fastrope addon which is included in ACE2 already.

i will consult with my mate silent_op from phoenix soldiers to get the best set up for ACE2 and then will punch out a few more missions.

the remake of GR_Airfield is going to be sick!

and Castle_Day which will be tweaked and i would say be better then the original when im finished.

Sounds awesome - not so sure about the ace2 integration, the people I play with are very anti-ace :(

my fix for water is to use ACE2 which i will be using for all future missions - there is just too much good stuff to leave it out and many benefits to having it in - which includes not losing all your gear after 30 seconds in the water. this is a bonus because it means you choose where to cross the river instead of having to use a bridge for the crossing.

and i think i can also remove the fastrope addon which is included in ACE2 already.

i will consult with my mate silent_op from phoenix soldiers to get the best set up for ACE2 and then will punch out a few more missions.

the remake of GR_Airfield is going to be sick!

and Castle_Day which will be tweaked and i would say be better then the original when im finished.

Have you actually tested that? I have never once been able to swim with ace2, and I've had it since I started playing ArmA 2! However the TrueMod portion called Gameplay does indeed fix it.

yes tested - was able to swim for at least 2 minutes without losing gear.

the river crossings are about 30 seconds.

i will do some more testing on dedicated server to make sure.

---------- Post added at 08:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 AM ----------

if i use TrueMod does everyone need it? or just packed in my mission?

ACE2 does have fast rope features built in. I think it can only be used with ACE2 helicopters. I'll have to check it out in the editor. Oh as for the swimming, we swim on our dedicated server, but I think you have the time correct, it can only be done for about 2 minutes. We once used a small part of SLX to allow endless swimming, but we eventually removed the SLX swim feature. It didn't make much sense, the characters really aren't kitted for long distance swims.

We did test the fast rope feature out on our server, back in the Arma2 days, before OA. From what I recall, the helicopter has to come to a hover at about 30 meters (could be less). Then one of the guys in the back has to release the rope. The rope is an item that needs to be given to one of the players. Once on the ground, I think it was the pilot that releases the rope, to drop to the ground. The rope can then be picked up and packed in a backpack. Now the real question is, can this be done with an AI pilot? We tested this with a player pilot.

As an alternative, I recall an ArmA2 (before OA) mission by Shark Attack, that used a nice script to drop a zodiac out of the Black Hawk. The mission starts out with the team in a helicopter taking off from a carrier deck. Once the helicopter reached the insert position, it came to a hover and dropped the zodiac out. The team then jumped in the water and boarded the zodiac. I'll look for that mission for you Lightspeed. That insert technique may be what your looking for.

silent_op

---------- Post added at 06:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 PM ----------

=TFS= Operation Foothold by Shark Attack, that's the mission I was referring to. I'm going to open it in the editor and take another look at it.

silent_op

Edited by silent_op.pxs

Why not just start in the Zodiac? :)

Or since you can't fight from the boat and have to land at a place with no enemies anyway, why not just start the mission there?

I mean those stuff might add atmosphere and stuff, but have practically 0 gameplay value.

In my opinion, playing COOP has a lot to do with atmosphere and a sense of immersion. Having missions with inserts that have believable inserts (and other small details) always added to the overall mission experience for me.

However Lightspeed is recreating Ghost Recon missions. The inserts and extractions need to be slight, not heavy handed, because the original Ghost Recon missions did not have such details. They were pretty much left to your imagination.

silent_op

if i use TrueMod does everyone need it? or just packed in my mission?

Yes they would need it aswell but it'd be worth it, it's not at all hard to find, doesn't update frequently (Though is updated from time to time)

And i'm not sure you need to integrate anything, the person simply having the mod will allow what you wish and as i said makes other changes that feel alot more GR'ish in nature aswell.

PS: i have a total of like 83 mods (Some are packs like CAA1 etc) So i've tried most of them and Arma 2 Launcher from Spirited machine makes modding life, very, very easy. Lemme know if you wanna know anything else

However Lightspeed is recreating Ghost Recon missions. The inserts and extractions need to be slight, not heavy handed, because the original Ghost Recon missions did not have such details. They were pretty much left to your imagination.

hit the nail on the head - i think the insertion adds to the immersion without requiring you to do much to instigate it. fastroping is a neat addition (was one of the few things i liked about GRAW actually).

I got a sneaking suspicion they inserted via stealth on this particular one :) Over some fences and into a open field .. "going with night-vision" ... :cool:

Oh and its day time? This was a night mission right, in OGR?

BTW .. this map and mission in OGR was one of my top favourites of the whole thing, I think I played that farm map so many ways until it was inside out, day & night, snow ... rain ... etc. It was this mission that I played my very first MP experience and it was via Alpha Squad, I was blown away by it, damn, come December it will have been 10 years ... ! I used to love the running water stream, coming up over the lip of that bank and scoping out the patrolling AI at the barn ready to take some headshots, oh the memories.

I also loved this map. I remember to even be considered for the one clan I was in, you had to complete this mission solo. Good memories indeed.

Also this was a night mission, but they did have a day map for MP pvp.

Any chances these will be released for SP or are they all going to be specifically for MP?

(was one of the few things i liked about GRAW actually).

How dare you blaspheme in public, GRAW is the devil's work :)

Any chances these will be released for SP or are they all going to be specifically for MP?

probably at some point

LIghtspeed. I have been looking at "=TFS3= Op Killing House" by Shark Attack (MP COOP mission). If you ever get a chance this a very nice mission in general to play. This mission uses the MP Compatible Fast Rope Addon. The only problem I seem to have is with the fast roping. The characters are always getting injured upon impact with the ground. I tested only in my client side, not on the dedicated server. I think it won't be much better off on the server. The part with moving the helicopter to different parts of the map, for drop offs or pickups, seems to work well.

Again, as for the ACE2 fast roping, unless you can find a way to trigger the AI pilot to drop the rope to the ground , a player pilot will do a better job. I personally like your simple helicopter inserts used in your GR:IT missions.

silent_op

I was hoping there had been an update on where this project stands.

There is no single player mode for this? I have Podagorsk and I have no idea where to put the campaign. I tried several places and it still does not work.