Sign in to follow this  
igneous01

Team Shadow - Sniper Campaign

It's not the one click convenience. It's not the amount of addons required. I download large mods quite often to test a single mission for folks who submit betas at OFPEC. I have downloaded and installed ACE for Arma and Arma2(once) but don't care for the constant updating which potentially breaks projects that have been finalized and added to the archives. I don't debate the awesome improvements that the mod brings to the game but it also changes other things that some folks don't care for. I didn't post to hijack his thread on a mod debate; I was merely expressing my interest in an ACE free version just in case he was considering investing effort in building without it.

But ACE does not officially support SP

Exclusively SP player here, and I don't know what you're talking about. The only time SP doesn't work well in ACE, is in completely new features added by ACE. If you don't place online, ACE breaks nothing. It just adds infinitesimally less.

but don't care for the constant updating which potentially breaks projects that have been finalized and added to the archives.
Unlike, say the game itself. Virtually no missions are released that are so fragile as to require certain ACE builds. Choose a stable version and stick with it. Even if you take every stable, you will update ACE with less frequency than the base game.

I'll add my vote for a non ACE build. Just inserting my two cents.

ditto

Is anyone having problems with the SOFLAM turning on, or the spotter only crawling in the mission where you meet your spotter at the radio antenna?

I have just started replaying the campaign to see and confirm any of the bugs people have reported. It seems there is a ai stance bug, as setting the ai to copy my stance gets them stuck and are unable to follow you anymore. However setting them to crouch fixes this, but it seems this is a new ace bug that isnt reported yet. SOFLAM and Vector have a wierd power on/power off bug the moment you press r to add the battery in. if you press r twice a second apart, it usually turns it on relatively fast. This bug has been present in ace for a while now.

While testing Operation Owl, the insertion boat came under attack from an aa gun, killing my spotter? AI never used to be able to see the infiltration boat from that distance, and it was guaranteed safe insertion, somethings changed...

I will be testing some more to spot any more bugs and see if missions are being broken. Fixing them shouldnt be too difficult i hope.

In my opinion, taking ACE away would make the sniping far too easy and make it less realistic and therefore, less enjoyable.

And, just download a stable version of ACE and never download the updates. That way the missions won't get broken or buggy?

In Guardian Angel I have no weapons when I'm sent into the mission, even though I correctly pick them up during the briefing as I did in the other missions. But when I get on the ground I have nothing, my inventory is empty. I've tried three or four times and still gives me the same problem. I have version 0.92 of the campaign. What can I do?

Anyway I have loved "Op. Owl" more than the others. Jeez, it is the spec. op. sniper paradise. I sneaked all around the island, in constant danger and fear of being spotted by the everywhere present patrols. Once I had to take down with the silenced pistol a machine gun soldier who had just spotted me. I hit the bastard before he was able to set off the alarms.

After I hit the main target I had to make a very dramatic, very cinematic escape. It seemed the hell had erupted, and everybody was firing and firing everything possible at us while we ran for extraction. That was so good! Brillant!

I just started testing Guardian Angel, and indeed, the weapons selection is bugged. It was working before, and its the same for every mission. Apparently the gear is still applied to you (the weight keeps increasing on loadout) but the weapons and gear disappear from the inventory and on the players gear screen, looks like another ace bug. I will be fixing all this stuff up, but really quite strange to see such wierd behaviour

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

* I found out the problem for the gear being bugged out in guardian angel - apparently ace wounds module breaks the gear selection from briefing right now :(

Will be disabled until future ace patch fixes it, will be uploading an update on the campaign to tackle these issues sometime today.

Campaign Updated to 0.93 + added 1 new mission (others are not done yet!), quick changelog here:

"Becoming a HOG"

- Removed scripting hints from mission

"Guardian Angel"

- Removed Ace_Wounds to fix problem with gear selection

- Adjusted enemy numbers to better balance forces

- Repositioned helicopter crash and removed excess smoke to allow better visibility and places to fire.

General:

- Added new mission "Patrol"

- player will now return to stealth behaviour when using radio trigger never fire

- Fixed range me script condition - if the spotter dies it will become unusable

- Added missing radio trigger options in some missions

First post updated, links updated as well

some things that i want to answer that didnt get to before:

1. All the weapons in the gear screen have ammo for them, ace sometimes decides whether it wants to auto add magazines to your slots or not. If you take a rifle that doesnt have magazines auto selected, you need to look for them and add them in.

2. Auto stance mod seems to be bugged by ace, im currently still in the works on finding out the root cause of it (as it seems to work on an empty mission), for now sticking to crouch might be the best option, as the ai keeps up with you, takes cover, and lays low.

3. @paolo: this has been fixed, if you use radio command to never fire on, it will turn on stealth again for both characters. Good thing you reminded me to put this in finally.

Thanks for all your efforts! I'm loving every bit of it.

1 - I think I understood what happens regarding the crouching/crawling sniper:

when enemies in the area are detected he automatically goes in some kind of alert state that forces him to crouch when you switch to the spotter. If no enemies are present he remains crawled. I've worked it out in some fashion by making the sniper to equipe the spotting scope. That way he remains crawled and you can switch to the spotter to adjust his position or whatever you want to do, without the risk of the sniper standing or crouching, thus revealing your position.

2 - I can confirm that the wind doesn't affect the trajectory of the bullets at all, in any of the missions. Is there any possibility to sort this out sometime in the future?

3 - On "Mystery Man", the notes I've found on

the informant's body say that a meeting will take place in Petrovka on thursday July 3 at 1600. But the map says that the current time and date is Friday July 4 in the morning. Then at a certain point a note pops up and says that there's still time before the meeting and that if I want I can sleep while I wait. I still havent reached Petrovka. Is everything going ok or I've met some bug?

Thanks again and bring it on!

Edited by paolo2015

Thanks for all your efforts! I'm loving every bit of it.

1 - I think I understood what happens regarding the crouching/crawling sniper:

when enemies in the area are detected he automatically goes in some kind of alert state that forces him to crouch when you switch to the spotter. If no enemies are present he remains crawled. I've worked it out in some fashion by making the sniper to equipe the spotting scope. That way he remains crawled and you can switch to the spotter to adjust his position or whatever you want to do, without the risk of the sniper standing or crouching, thus revealing your position.

2 - I can confirm that the wind doesn't affect the trajectory of the bullets at all, in any of the missions. Is there any possibility to sort this out sometime in the future?

3 - On "Mystery Man", the notes I've found on

the informant's body say that a meeting will take place in Petrovka on thursday July 3 at 1600. But the map says that the current time and date is Friday July 4 in the morning. Then at a certain point a note pops up and says that there's still time before the meeting and that if I want I can sleep while I wait. I still havent reached Petrovka. Is everything going ok or I've met some bug?

Thanks again and bring it on!

1. Interesting observation there, this should be fixed now since you can rebehave back into stealth mode as the sniper, allowing them to stay in crawl.

2. I never removed or adjusted wind to be disabled in this campaign. When i play it, wind is always enabled and effects my shots. Perhaps an Ace settings issue?

3. Thanks for the info, the time is still correct, however you are right, the day is off (typo) by 1 day. After patch 1.59 came out the time/seasons/visibility were all altered and messed up from what i originally had them set. quick fix, thanks for that!

can i play this campaign without ace? if i enable ace it'll give me an error saying x\cba\addons\main\script_macros_common.hpp not found

can i play this campaign without ace? if i enable ace it'll give me an error saying x\cba\addons\main\script_macros_common.hpp not found

that errors notes that CBA is not running in your mods list, and so ace cannot be run properly (as its dependant on CBA)

also the order of mods is important here to:

example of the right mod line:

@CBA;@ACE;@ACEX;@ACEX_RU;@ACEX_SM;@ACEX_USNavy

cba is run first, followed by ace, then ace extras, with all other extras coming last

Got a problem in red october. I call in air strike no problem. F-35 drops the payload twice... i destroy all the artillery guns with one LGB second being insurance.... but.. the objective is not complete for some reason.. i tried to blow it up with C4's and satchels after drop of LGB and still nothing. any help?

Got a problem in red october. I call in air strike no problem. F-35 drops the payload twice... i destroy all the artillery guns with one LGB second being insurance.... but.. the objective is not complete for some reason.. i tried to blow it up with C4's and satchels after drop of LGB and still nothing. any help?

Im assuming since the bombs dropped, they must have killed the crewman and the officer in the middle as well? If they did the task shoud complete itself. However there may be a chance that one of the artillery pieces is not fully destroyed, but may look damaged enough. I would take a look at which piece is not black, and satchel that one to see if it makes a difference.

I hope its not an ace patch that may have bugged this out. Will investigate when I have time.

There were no officers in the middle.. there were some patrols wandering around the perimeter tho... dont know if i killed them all

I dont know what the problem is but i can get passed the first mission, the qualification doesnt give me credit for most of my shots. especially the range 300-900 meters only gives me credit for 3 of the shots when i saw all of them get hit.

Hi, first of all i want to thank Igneous01 for the beautiful campaign, i really enjoyed it :D, i would report some bugs i found during gameplay

1) Gear selection bug: adding a Kestrel add the item two times, after that you cannot add any other ACE item, if you remove the Kestrel it removes your batteries too (see screenshots)

th_767046874_arma2oa2012_01_2816_28_29_50_122_246lo.jpg

th_767054135_arma2oa2012_01_2816_28_31_85_122_833lo.jpg th_767061566_arma2oa2012_01_2816_28_34_99_122_429lo.jpg

2) Mystery mission bug:

I have successfully completed all tasks but the debriefing has some bugs (look at the screenshots), the big problem is the game doesn't unlock next mission :( ... it is possible to unlock it manually ? if could help i have killed the black pirate before the merchant

th_766994140_arma2oa2012_01_2816_20_45_66_122_207lo.jpg th_767003767_arma2oa2012_01_2816_21_06_21_122_3lo.jpg th_767016333_arma2oa2012_01_2816_21_18_05_122_580lo.jpg

th_767027438_arma2oa2012_01_2816_21_21_59_122_1143lo.jpg th_767039231_arma2oa2012_01_2816_21_43_56_122_124lo.jpg

Edited by t0t3m

Hi, first of all i want to thank Igneous01 for the beautiful campaign, i really enjoyed it :D, i would report some bugs i found during gameplay

1) Gear selection bug: adding a Kestrel add the item two times, after that you cannot add any other ACE item, if you remove the Kestrel it removes your batteries too (see screenshots)

1) Thanks for pointing this out - its been a bug with ACE for some time now, I posted a ticket for it, but it doesn't look like its been resolved. Unfortunately its out of my hands for this part.

2) Thanks for showing me that, I forgot the debriefing wasn't coded properly, and, Ill add the next mission to the description.ext (I forgot that I didn't add it in) Im not sure if there is a way to progress to the next mission if its not defined in campaign. Ill fix this asap.

Thanks for the report

hey mate, are u still adding new missions? i've been enjoying this campaign so much.

I don't know if you're still actively working on this campaign (the activity of the thread seems to indicate that you are not), but I'd like to note that the fourth mission (Operation Owl) is obscenely difficult in just the first 2 minutes. Every single time I have loaded the mission, with all difficulties ranging from Recruit to Expert, the CRRC has been spotted by AI forces on the coast (or even further inland). The AI engages at very long range with autocannons (ZU-23s would be my guess) while you're still over deep water in the CRRC. It only takes one or two rounds before everybody in the boat is dead. I managed to get on the island one time by ejecting out of the CRRC and swimming away from it (it was destroyed soon after), and played a good portion of the mission. It's well done in all other regards, and quite enjoyable, but by the time I got to it it was late and I was annoyed at the constant moans and groans of pain from the sniper/spotter team so I haven't finished it yet.

I'd suggest making the AI ignore the CRRC. That little boat gets you killed before you've even properly begun the mission.

I really like it so far, though. The third mission is my favorite, but I dislike the blue/purple sky. Is this some sort of bug, or just a filter in the mission? It looks sort of like an overcast dawn, but the mission time is 1400. Quite odd. :p

[Edit]

One more thing. Same mission, sometimes the HVT is invisible inside the ATC tower.

Edited by Shwat

Hello, i have downloaded this and i have extracted it to arma 2 oa missions file but when i go into the game it isnt anywhere to be found. Help please.

---------- Post added at 07:49 ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 ----------

Hello, i have downloaded this and i have extracted it to arma 2 oa missions file but when i go into the game it isnt anywhere to be found. Help please.

---------- Post added at 07:49 ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 ----------

This is a campaign not a mission. You have to install it in your Arma2\Campaigns Folder not the missions one. If you do not have one then create it.