Sign in to follow this  
igneous01

Team Shadow - Sniper Campaign

Thanks for reply.

Yes no problem on training, for me I have the full version and yes DLC light is fine but, anyway if its working ok then just a thought.

The hide link I posted is for Arma2 that's DM's conversion version :) So it can be used right now, but I was thinking maybe mission use and just the sniper class.

I had a small few things to report,

On mission training one, would be nice to have an auto save trigger happen as you reach the flag area to start shooting on the range, so you have a auto revert if you fail (instead of stopping and having to go through the briefing again). I know you can save yourself but its a bit of spoon feeding for those who then realise they have to go back through all the chatter again if they failed. Wither that or you get an option to restart and it just starts the main test again without a fail mission screen?

On mission training 2 I cant complete it. I finished the shorter 1000 meter version by getting it from the officer in the building. It completes successfully (I get within range undetected) and then got spawned back at the original location, I went back to the officer and still got the 2 course options, went to the second officer and got nothing, so I have completed at least one of them but cant, ummm, end and complete it for next mission?

I know I can use the endmission cheat but I wondered if that's a bug, or something im missing?

Any hints?

ive noticed this when i did it too. Theres a bit of an issue with the action not coming up. My suggestion for you is to make sure you are looking directly at him with the weapon, and it should appear afterwards. Go right up to him and look at his chest or head, and it will come up.

I believe its a problem with the building. because hes inside a building the addaction doesnt get recognized because your technically looking at the building. But if you go right up to his face, it will show up. Go to the second officer, not the one that gave you the courses.

about the hide addon, didnt know he converted it. But problem is it cant be made as a script, because the viewblock is a custom object with its own config class. So it has to be a mod in order to work.

and thanks for the suggestions, i will read up on the auto save, and change the lose condition to the one that lets you reload your save game.

Just letting my computer cool down after escaping Chernogorsk.

Bad. Ass.

But to start with the beginning, the Final Exam mission was extremely well-planned. It felt like the map was made especially for the mission. I say this because the farthest shooting position is easy to get to, but you have to shoot through a partial canopy of leaves and twigs, making it very difficult to ID and track the target. It felt inspired. And I even had a little firefight during exfil when some guys came up behind me.

The island mission was fun too. Marking AA sights worked fine and it felt very natural and convenient when the general walked right into my sights. I had some tense moments and an incredible escape where an AA squad was right on top of me. I threw smoke and shot one round, and they lost me in the trees. It was one of my most improbable and dramatic escapes playing this game.

And escaping Cherno is a blast. There's just enough dramatic effects and blocked routes, and what I like most about it is that it's easy. I didn't die, yet there was resistance with all the vehicles, and I had to shoot three Russians with my pistol, which is always tense. It evens runs well because of the fog. Bravo.

I noticed that you disabled windage, perhaps to make things doable on the first shot. Could we have the option to reenable it if we're feeling hardcore?

I noticed that you disabled windage, perhaps to make things doable on the first shot. Could we have the option to re-enable it if we're feeling hardcore?
Yes I was going to mention this, as you also said you didn't know much about it, I guess you didn't use it (referring to mission maker)?

As your using Ace2 .. windage and kestral are a must :)

EDIT ... yes I got the option to complete the mission looking at officers face. Maybe all the options should just stick with one officer that's just outside the building, maybe just have him stationed next to a vehicle or something parked up? The reason I say this is becuase it took me some time that it was nearly night / dark, so when I spawned back at the buidling I could not see at all inside the building to find the officers (had to put my gamma on full) ... so outside the building witha light to cover this might be good? Or maybe have your sniper set with NV goggles?

EDIT: I also fell into the trap on the final training mission where you kit out from the briefing screen, maybe make that a little clearer in notes, this is of course that I didn't just skim read and miss it all :)

Edited by mrcash2009

Yes I was going to mention this, as you also said you didn't know much about it, I guess you didn't use it (referring to mission maker)?

As your using Ace2 .. windage and kestral are a must :)

EDIT ... yes I got the option to complete the mission looking at officers face. Maybe all the options should just stick with one officer that's just outside the building, maybe just have him stationed next to a vehicle or something parked up? The reason I say this is becuase it took me some time that it was nearly night / dark, so when I spawned back at the buidling I could not see at all inside the building to find the officers (had to put my gamma on full) ... so outside the building witha light to cover this might be good? Or maybe have your sniper set with NV goggles?

thanks for that suggestion, i completely forgot about giving him NVgoggles, i remember trying to talk to him in pitch black and couldnt figure out where he was.

Yes i will add NVgoggles, thanks for the reminder!

I noticed that you disabled windage, perhaps to make things doable on the first shot. Could we have the option to reenable it if we're feeling hardcore?

Glad to see you liked it! Always inspires me to make more missions when people have a blast through it ;)

about the windage, i never disabled it in any mission? Which mission are you talking about? if its the kestrel thats missing, ill have a look again to check. As far as i recall the last training mission had fairly convenient wind (the weather was partially cloudy) so as to whether or not it was steady, must be a factor from ace ;). and the mission on utes was pretty much perfect weather, the moonlight gave a small chance of being able to shoot with a non NV sighted weapon. but i remember being on the hilltop trying to shoot the controller in the tower and the wind was going all over the place at 10m/s, lets just say i missed horribly and got creamed by an aa site lol.

It did add some tension without NV though, 2 patrols passed me within meters. I am using RUGDSAI speech, so all of a sudden just off in the distance some distant muttering ... then pausing ... looking around at dusk with not too much light, added some atmosphere.

You mention dynamic, would you consider a open mission style like some ive seen where you get your missions from a command post / officer at base (of which you can then gear up whats needed / with briefing) and then get dropped into the zone with a random placement and creation for the mission. So you have say 6 mission types that get randomly called and spawned on the map with a random LZ (each time you request a mission from base), you then gear up and go out and complete, then RTB for full completion. Rinse and repeat.

i yes that is exactly the idea im going for, the minicampaign will have a freeroam gta like style to it, in which there will be a main objective (eliminate the target) but you wont know where he is, and by meeting certain people in secret areas, some optional missions will come up, giving you more hints on his location. I plan to have alot of little side missions here and there, with two main ones being focused on killing the target and recon the island. and eventually another main objective that deals with the story line (i wont give away much yet)

about the windage, i never disabled it in any mission? Which mission are you talking about? if its the kestrel thats missing, ill have a look again to check. As far as i recall the last training mission had fairly convenient wind (the weather was partially cloudy) so as to whether or not it was steady, must be a factor from ace ;). and the mission on utes was pretty much perfect weather, the moonlight gave a small chance of being able to shoot with a non NV sighted weapon. but i remember being on the hilltop trying to shoot the controller in the tower and the wind was going all over the place at 10m/s, lets just say i missed horribly and got creamed by an aa site lol.

Well that is very strange, then. Because I have windage enabled in me ACE2 settings and I use the Kestrl... but my bullets are all going in straight lines no matter what the crosswind is.

Could you provide some instructions for the Range Me option? I've only gotten it to work once, and it threw me off when it made my spotter start moving.

And on the Chernogrosk mission, the plane doesn't drop the bombs when you call the airstrike. He just flies over. This is horribly disappointing after you've just slogged eight kilometers!

---------- Post added at 10:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

I cant complete Skalisty mission. only killed 2 snipers: first in right target area and second in boat service. spend much time with trying found more but no result 

- add marker hint for the location of the two other snipers on skalisty island - if the sniper on the boat house is killed. otherwise no hint will show. (the boathouse sniper is optional)

Holy shit, I can't find a single one. What are your object settings and resolution at? Something enormous?

And which boathouse are you talking about? The Skalisty one? Because the other on the island is impossibly far away. I've stared at it for minutes on end and I can't discern anything approaching a sniper.

Well that is very strange, then. Because I have windage enabled in me ACE2 settings and I use the Kestrl... but my bullets are all going in straight lines no matter what the crosswind is.

Im not sure what the problem might be here. As far as i know ace doesnt have a disable wind module (or any way of turning it off) so im guessing you might need to check your ace settings to see if their copied (and possibly update to latest ace) i know that they got rid of the text file method of setting up ace, opting for using the clippi in the in game menu.

Could you provide some instructions for the Range Me option? I've only gotten it to work once, and it threw me off when it made my spotter start moving.

sure, the range me option works when your staring at something that the ai you (the one that checks your knowsabout on certain things) knows is an object. so basically if you detect a guy 600m away, you can use the range me action afterwards when looking at him, and your spotter should give you a precise and accurate reading on the distance to the target. It also works when your staring at a building (but again, it depends on whether or not the ai recognizes it as a buildin) so revealing it might make it work better. Unfortunatly its a limitation of cursortarget because you need to have a certain knowsabout value in order to actually get a good reading. and theres no other command that works more flawlessly (which is kind of disappointing)

And on the Chernogrosk mission, the plane doesn't drop the bombs when you call the airstrike. He just flies over. This is horribly disappointing after you've just slogged eight kilometers!

Yes the aircraft can be really stupid sometimes (Its an issue with how your pointing your laser at the target) i have two workarounds to this:

- if you want him to get a good hit, open up the map when you call him in, and youll see the direction hes coming from. You need to point your laser in a way that the terrain is not blocking the laser for the bird when it passes by. Sometimes it takes two fly bys for it to drop the bomb, but as long as you keep it steady on a nice piece of flat ground (like in the middle of all the artillery) he should drop the bombs.

- I also included equipment inside the medic tent, theres c4 and a satchel there that you can use to blow up the artillery (but you need to take out the guys guarding it first) so that if the bird doesnt do what its supposed to, youll have demos ready to blow it anyway.

Holy shit, I can't find a single one. What are your object settings and resolution at? Something enormous?

And which boathouse are you talking about? The Skalisty one? Because the other on the island is impossibly far away. I've stared at it for minutes on end and I can't discern anything approaching a sniper.

Naw ;), i used maybe a 3km view distance and low settings with 800*600 res, i could still see them though. The marker should show up his position once you kill one of the ones you need to complete the mission. but if you havnt, well yes that sniper is at the boathouse on the other island (about a 1400m shot, with all the wind on that island its not an easy shot to make at all!) but hes there, prone on the top floor staring out the window. you might need to adjust to 4km to see him clearly. and check the spotting scope to confirm.

as for the other ones: they are pretty close by, but the ghillie suit makes them really difficult to find, you need to have eagle eyes to pick out the slightest variation of a snipers body, use the spotting scope as much as you can when scanning the vegetation, it gives you the best zoom, and lets you see everything clearly. I made sure that there in obvious sight of the player and not behind any terrain or objects, but u need to look really hard to find them.

Dont want to spoil any hints tho. ^^

im surprised someone actually managed to kill him? :S Certainly have more skill at sniping then I do :D. I was thinking that nobody would take him out.

Edited by Igneous01

the day that a campaign i really want to play comes out is the day i send my laptop away to get upgraded :( try it out in a week

---------- Post added at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 AM ----------

Help i have at the sniper Exam test no weapon where i can get it...

any help?

dont understand the question

Help i have at the sniper Exam test no weapon where i can get it...

any help?

You pick your gear in the briefing screen, all other missions will follow this way

Im not sure what the problem might be here. As far as i know ace doesnt have a disable wind module

It has: http://ace.dev-heaven.net/wagn/Wind_Deflection

Maybe there has been a recent change, so that you can no longer disable wind deflection in the user settings, but as far as I know you can still turn it off.

It has: http://ace.dev-heaven.net/wagn/Wind_Deflection

Maybe there has been a recent change, so that you can no longer disable wind deflection in the user settings, but as far as I know you can still turn it off.

havnt used those. i left the wind up to the weather of the mission (so that the ace system automates the wind itself)

I believe it may be an issue with an older ace, there were some problems with ace wind deflection and site adjustment in a previous version, where nothing was working at all.

best to use yoma and update.

I wish I could afford something larger than a 17" monitor and could run resolution higher than 1280x1024 because it sometimes gets difficult to spot the enemy. It's hard enough spotting common soldiers sneaking about…almost impossible to spot a well camouflaged sniper laying in wait. But honestly, I guess that's the way it would should be. :p

ai snipers have skillz too see :D,

i think i know a good solution to that mission

ill just make them fire off a round every couple minutes or so, so it looks like there shooting at someone, should make it easier to spot them from where the sound or dust came from.

ill let you guys know about the next update soon, still working on ze mission (and now the ai snipers will actually have the skillz of a sniper ^^)

can u give the ability to turn this autoshoot off?

a sniper shoots only to kill :-)

whats the autoshoot?

i mean your new feature to help detect the sniper :-)

automatic shooting sniper XXD

if you mean by the "spotting mode" then it is toggle-able. However it doesnt make your sniper autofire (atleast not that im aware of). but i think i can assume what happened for you:

you turned on spotting mode:

you didnt turn on ai never fire

when you teamswitched your sniper (that is now AI) to the spotter, he fired at the enemy?

i forgot to mention that line (turn on ai never fire) because AI has issues with engaging when you teamswitch (which i stressed already)

i will write an FAQ so that it covers all the questions about all the features and stuff. So people wont be so confused about it.

I think he ment the new feature you are going to implement in the spot-the-sniper-mission.

Maybe you can just add a radio entry called "hint" that makes the enemy snipers shoot one round everytime it is clicked or something similar.

Anyway great work, wasn't a fan of ACE before but now I can see why so many people like it :D

I have just one tiny request: Could you add a radio menue entry to set yourself to stealth again once you have killed your target ? It simply ruins the atmosphere if you are yelling all your commands although you are still sneaking arround :D

Edited by cubbi

I think he ment the new feature you are going to implement in the spot-the-sniper-mission.

Maybe you can just add a radio entry called "hint" that makes the enemy snipers shoot one round everytime it is clicked or something similar.

Anyway great work, wasn't a fan of ACE before but now I can see why so many people like it :D

I have just one tiny request: Could you add a radio menue entry to set yourself to stealth again once you have killed your target ? It simply ruins the atmosphere if you are yelling all your commands although you are still sneaking arround :D

ah i see what you mean now, wasnt quite sure at first. Ill try and make a compromise so that people who have a hard time finding them will get better hints. Maybe a sniper will fire a shot in a time span of 5 - 15 mins? that would certainly make it easier, but not too easy, as you might forget where the shot came from.

and yes, i will add that to the radio menu, its annoying for me as well, makes me paranoid that the enemy is going to hear me shouting.

thanks for the reminder ^^

can u give the ability to turn this autoshoot off?

a sniper shoots only to kill :-)

They're supposed to be suppressing Charlie Company.

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

Im not sure what the problem might be here. As far as i know ace doesnt have a disable wind module (or any way of turning it off) so im guessing you might need to check your ace settings to see if their copied (and possibly update to latest ace) i know that they got rid of the text file method of setting up ace, opting for using the clippi in the in game menu.

My ACE settings tell me that windage is enabled. It just doesn't work in this campaign. And thank God, otherwise I would never hit anything. At 1400 meters the M107 spits rounds all over a meter square.

sure, the range me option works when your staring at something that the ai you (the one that checks your knowsabout on certain things) knows is an object. so basically if you detect a guy 600m away, you can use the range me action afterwards when looking at him, and your spotter should give you a precise and accurate reading on the distance to the target. It also works when your staring at a building (but again, it depends on whether or not the ai recognizes it as a buildin) so revealing it might make it work better. Unfortunatly its a limitation of cursortarget because you need to have a certain knowsabout value in order to actually get a good reading. and theres no other command that works more flawlessly (which is kind of disappointing)

Gotcha. I'd recommend telling players that they have to aim at an object, as opposed to ground, in the Notes.

Yes the aircraft can be really stupid sometimes (Its an issue with how your pointing your laser at the target) i have two workarounds to this:

Well, I think you should plan for the shitty aircraft problem. The support dialog prompts me to click on the map, making me think that using the laser designator isn't needed. That could cause major problems. But why not make the bombs fall on map-click? And just offset the 'Artillery here?' marker so people who try to cheat or try their luck will miss. Or make a certain small shaded area where the batteries might be.

Second thing, give us three satchels. Players who have never used C4 might place them a meter away from the gun, and fail to destroy them. I had to finished them off with frags. :(

Naw ;), i used maybe a 3km view distance and low settings with 800*600 res, i could still see them though. The marker should show up his position once you kill one of the ones you need to complete the mission. but if you havnt, well yes that sniper is at the boathouse on the other island (about a 1400m shot, with all the wind on that island its not an easy shot to make at all!) but hes there, prone on the top floor staring out the window. you might need to adjust to 4km to see him clearly. and check the spotting scope to confirm.

Again, holy crap. I could barely believe he was a sniper after turning up the resolution and object detail.

as for the other ones: they are pretty close by, but the ghillie suit makes them really difficult to find

No shit. In the grass only the guy's head was sticking out, and I swear to God it wasn't ghillie-colored but red! I thought it was an autumn bush.

im surprised someone actually managed to kill him? :S Certainly have more skill at sniping then I do :D. I was thinking that nobody would take him out.

Took me half a mag without the wind. Even .50 BMG doesn't hurt much at that range.

And FYI, if you kill the boathouse sniper first, you will still get the Kill the Marksman task later on, and it will not be fulfilled.

Anyways, I'm tired of looking. If anyone finds the island or town snipers, post their location in spoilers. :p

Edited by maturin

And FYI, if you kill the boathouse sniper first, you will still get the Kill the Marksman task later on, and it will not be fulfilled.

thanks for the feedback, i will fix that and also try to get a workaround on your other suggestions too ^^

keep em coming!