Sign in to follow this  
anc

artifacts plus computer crash

I'm runing CO with both DLC and having some really boring problem. First i thought it was related to some addon, so i tested the vanilla game and i'm still having the same problem.

After some minutes i get some weird artifacts and the pc crashes. The only options is to restart it.

It started after patch 1.57.

PS: I'm using Nvidia patch 266.58

Best regards

Sounds very much like overheating.

Remove an overclocks, check the fans are all working and free of dust.

Run some temperature monitoring software when you play the game.

Sounds very much like overheating.

Remove an overclocks, check the fans are all working and free of dust.

Run some temperature monitoring software when you play the game.

I dont think it is related to overheating. As i play other games and don't have this problem. I also increase the fan speed.

Best regards

I agree with Tankbuster. Artifacts and the crash definately sounds like a temperature issue. Probably "other Games" don't put as much workload as ArmA 2 does.

Myke;1880067']I agree with Tankbuster. Artifacts and the crash definately sounds like a temperature issue. Probably "other Games" don't put as much workload as ArmA 2 does.

Doesn't make sense. I mean' date=' i play arma for 5 minutes and get this problem, and i play another game like StarCraft for 3 hours and don't get it. And sometimes i can play arma for like 1h 2h without this problem.

I wish it was related to temperature, but it isn't.

The artifacts are similar to this, but over all screen.

[url']http://www.sevenforums.com/attachments/media-center/31908d1255891336-media-center-artifacts-after-waking-sleep-522hcn9.jpg[/url]

Best regards

Edited by anc

Either it is a temperature problem (why not measuring it instead of saying "can't be"?) ot your graphic card has reached it's EOL.

Ah, this is going to be one of those threads where they come asking for help then ignore any help given because they;

1) Know better than us, despite having decided to ask for help.

2) Don't like the answer they are given

3) Can play game x for a meelyon hours at 190000000 x 12220000000 so it must be Arma2 that is at fault.

ANC, I promise you, your graphics card is a smidge over minimum requirements and it's overheating.

yeah i was about to say 8800gt 512mb i think that your problem ;p and i agree its prob overheating arma2 puts much more stress on your system then most mainstream games do when ifirst started playing this game ihad a msi 9500gt 1gb overclocked and i had these same kinds of problems with that card although not in 5mins.... i couldn even play at night with that card without my pc locking up actually my first card was the stock one that came with the pc didnt take very long before it burned out playing arma ;p also i dont know a whole lot about pcs im still learning but your cpu seems slow for arma as well btw with that 9500gt i can play bf bc2 maxed sc3 maxed mass effect2 maxed fonv maxed and it works fine but i cant barely paly arma on normal settings with that card without it messing up usually at night

Edited by lsp

I'm not ignoring what you guys are saying. I'm just using logic.

I DO appreciate all the help. But i have reasons for saying that it can't be overheating, as i clean my vga every week. But as you said its better to measure than just assume.

But i keep thinking that it isn't related. For the following reasons.

1- The game crashes randomly. It can crash after 2 minutes of entering the game(even in the looby), after 3 hours of intense gameplay.

2- It doesn't happen with other games(Arma isn't the only one that demands a lot of the hardware).

3- I always clean my computer. And before playing i increase the vga speed to 70%.

All that i'm asking is, can it be another reason for this?

Best regards

There could be, but the reason we say this is that we do often get users giving the exact same symptoms you describe and they are invariably overheating. It's a very common question here.

That said, you do sound like you know what you're doing, so let's try a little troubleshooting.

These artifacts - are they black or grey triangular objects that obscure much of the screen and appear to all originate in the same place?

Are you running any mods? I found gachopins lovely MH53 would make some crazy graphics glitches.

What are ur ingame video memory settings?

These can cause problems but usually u get the artifacts very quickly if wrong setting is causing problem

On my GTX460 if i set to default the game instantly artifacts and crashes.

I have to use high setting in video memory and the game can run all day without a crash

But it could be overheating like others are saying. Try cleaning fans putting fan settings up if possible and see what happens.

There could be, but the reason we say this is that we do often get users giving the exact same symptoms you describe and they are invariably overheating. It's a very common question here.

That said, you do sound like you know what you're doing, so let's try a little troubleshooting.

These artifacts - are they black or grey triangular objects that obscure much of the screen and appear to all originate in the same place?

Are you running any mods? I found gachopins lovely MH53 would make some crazy graphics glitches.

The artifacts are random, sometimes they are red lines, red triangles, etc. Thje form and color are random.

They appear all over the screen. At first the game just crashes and i get the artifcats. But the sound keep on going normal for some seconds, after that it crashes. And i can only reset manually the computer.

It happened to me while i was using mods and without anymods.

I'm not saying that it is overheating. But i think that it is strange that it only happens with Arma. The last time that i had it, i was in a MP lobby. Had'nt even played yet.

Sometimes it happens with 5 minutes of game, other times with 1h.

It occurring randomly like this that makes me think that it cant be related to temperature. But i can be wrong and the vga really be dying. I just hope that this isn't the case.

Instead of just cleaning the vga i will change the thermal paste and i will post the results.

Best regards

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 PM ----------

What are ur ingame video memory settings?

These can cause problems but usually u get the artifacts very quickly if wrong setting is causing problem

On my GTX460 if i set to default the game instantly artifacts and crashes.

I have to use high setting in video memory and the game can run all day without a crash

But it could be overheating like others are saying. Try cleaning fans putting fan settings up if possible and see what happens.

Alsmot everything set to normal. I couldn't test the temperature with arma, because for some reason the rivatunner cause freezes in Arma.

I tested with other game and the temperature was high, 75°c.

I will buy a new thermal paste and change mine to see if the temperature go back to normal.

Thanks for the help folks, sorry for any misunderstand that i have cause.

Kudos :D

Best regards