KingN

The Forgotten Few - SP/MP Dynamic Campaign for CO

Has anyone with a dual core 3gig + tried this mission?

Because currently I get "initialising intro, please wait" .. this stays like this for well over 5 mins ... I can alt tab but its slow, and when I press escape to skip intro it takes about 10-15 seconds to respond, once I skip I get the loading screen, the loading bar will go to 3 quarters and just stops at this point (so I have to alt tab and close process).

So .. I tried with no mods at all vanilla (combined) ... and then tried again, I get the same thing, but response is a little quicker, I get to loading bar, its sticks for awhile then goes to "initialising campaign ... " ... I never get passed this point. I end up having to alt tab and close OA process to kill it.

Whats actually happening, is this such a CPU intensive mission initialisation that dual cores will die ... or is it something else? Every other campaign and missions I have no issues with, this one just craps out on my rig without even playing ... has anyone else got an AMD x2 3.1 gig and tested it?

Latest beta, no addon version, Comined OA/A2 vanilla and with mods is always the same. I know my rig is getting on a bit, but that said other campaigns have no issues, well, maybe some FPS hits but no preload issues where nothing then loads.

Edited by mrcash2009

I have an E8200 @3.2, 2G mem, fresh defragged RAID1 HDD. (CO, latest beta, JSRS, Cherarus retexture, some more minor mods)

After I skip intro, I have "initialising" for like 30 secs, then "Mission 1 preparing..." for like under a minute, the whole process with loading bars take around 2 minutes, with lots of HDD activity. Nothing wrong for me, I restarted the mission for like 5 times so far (to try things out), times are around the same every time.

oh hell yeah! this was one of those campaigns that i was really hoping would get finished!

hell. yeah.

im going to give both the Chechen version and vanilla a try

After I skip intro, I have "initialising" for like 30 secs, then "Mission 1 preparing..." for like under a minute, the whole process with loading bars take around 2 minutes, with lots of HDD activity.

Interesting thanks for info. Its strange my HD activity almost dries up and im sat looking at the initialisation screen and nothing ever actually moves on from that, on "initialising Campaign ..." I left it for 10 minutes and went off to do something else and came back and was astonished it wasn't any further forward, HD light blinking partially as Idle.

I had slow loading issues using -exThread default which I switched back to =0 which worked fine again for my rig. The loading of this mission is just like exThreads set to default (as of the latest patch) .. realy awkwardly slow to the point of stopping.

Hmmm, I must test this further, bugging me because i realy want to crack on with this mission.

Ah, ok I can tell what's going on during preloading intro and intializing campaign..

Preloading intro: The screen is black but behind the camera jumps from scene to scene with few seconds sleep delay between the scenes, this is for loading up the lods and textures of the objects seen in the scenes. I added this after seeing that if I run the mission with arma 2 freashly opened up the objects in the intro look horrid for few secs in each scene. This ruins the intro. In my computer this laoding phase takes about 20 seconds.

Initializing campaign: This resets all the variables needed in missions and spawns the helicopters. The same reset script is executed also between missions. This takes 10-20 in my computer.

My computer is about 4 years old dual core 2.8gz, 4gigs of ram, Geforce GTS 250 and Windows Vista. Are you guys using a lot of addons which might take extra ram?

Innovative, polished, and streamlined. Simply amazing King Nothing... well worth the wait. :)

To those playing this: I highly recommend deciding from the beginning, absolutely no reloads. Play it through starting at mission 1 and try like hell to stay alive through mission 7. If you can manage this play style, you're in for one totally immersive and death defying experience.

A handful of suggestions / other feedback:

1. This is the first mission I can recall where I really cared about my soldier's individual lives. But strangely, once they die, they disappear from the Manage Platoon section. How about a KIA listing to the right of the Reserves list?

2. As it stands, imo right now the soldiers are pretty interchangeable, and while I want drastically want to keep them alive because I have to make them last though 7 missions, there's not much distinguishing them from one another (aside from the abilities). How about reporting how many missions a soldier has survived? For instance, on the Squad Structure page, there's a perfect amount of space to the right of a soldier's name for this. Example: "Torch 6: Feliks Stratvoytova (2 missions completed)". That would go a long way to being able to tell who's been with you since the beginning, and make you feel a greater loss, when you lose them.

3. As it stands, there's no quick way to get the status for Spark squad. How about a Status button on the Spark Control menu? Ideally it might be a fancy dialog, but even a simple solution would work, like upon selection Spark squad leader radios a verbal status, etc.

4. Consider making control of Spark squad radio 0-0-0, as it's probably the most frequently used. Plus in the heat of combat, that makes it quick and easy to issue them commands on the fly.

5. Seems like time of day/weather is getting set moments after everything fades in and you are facing the insertion vehicle, and it's kind of an immersion breaker. Ideally do these transitions while everything is faded to black?

6. Might come in handy, but an option to cancel CAS (once it's already in progress)?

7. I simply love the "fast travel" via ground, where everything cuts to black, time passes, and suddenly you're much closer to the objective. However, you still end up WAY back and still have a long way to go. Any chance of moving this "fast travel" reemergence point in toward the objective significantly? (Imo any amount would improve matters.)

8. The intro is simply awesome! But once you've seen it a couple times... well we all know how that goes. So considering the long mission startup time is due to the intro, how about an option to skip the intro outright? I.e. A small file in the "ArmA 2\userconfig" folder, etc? (Just in case you've never tried pulling in user settings from a hpp file, it's easy and quick, and could explain in a quick PM if necessary.)

9. Seems like there are a significant amount of night missions, which may or may not be everyone's cup of tea. Maybe an option to limit them in some way?

10. So far I've made it to mission 3 (and got cut down in my prime, oh the humanity!!!) Are there any "set piece" missions? For example, a final showdown in the capital Chernogorsk? If not, how hard would it be to integrate something like this in? (i.e. Aside from creating the mission itself.)

11. Are you open to other mission designers creating / releasing missions using your "engine", provided the mission idea is different enough and you get full credits, etc? I'd love to see such a mission from the rebel perspective.

12. This mission is screaming for COOP!!!!!! Torch and Spark, come on! :D (Just so we're on the same page, I do have some concept of what a MASSIVE undertaking that would be.)

In any event, keep up the good work! Can't wait to see what's next!

Ah, ok I can tell what's going on during preloading intro and intializing campaign..

Preloading intro: The screen is black but behind the camera jumps from scene to scene with few seconds sleep delay between the scenes, this is for loading up the lods and textures of the objects seen in the scenes. I added this after seeing that if I run the mission with arma 2 freashly opened up the objects in the intro look horrid for few secs in each scene. This ruins the intro. In my computer this laoding phase takes about 20 seconds.

Initializing campaign: This resets all the variables needed in missions and spawns the helicopters. The same reset script is executed also between missions. This takes 10-20 in my computer.

My computer is about 4 years old dual core 2.8gz, 4gigs of ram, Geforce GTS 250 and Windows Vista. Are you guys using a lot of addons which might take extra ram?

Thanks for that information. that's realy weird, becuase again I tested last night vanilla (no addons or beta) and it sits at the first intro initialisation and basicly does nothing else, I have failed to ever enter the mission screen, again, so much so its idle I waited for about 6 minutes or more and then alt tabbed to kill process as I cant get back out of it.

I cant say its your mission as from what you say its a nice and simple pre cache (which is a great idea) .. but ... will the bloody thing work on this PC LOL :)

I am at a bit of a loss how to test it, again all other campaigns are running fine, PMC / BAF A2 / Bardosy missions ... all sorts. I have AMD 64 x2 3.1 gig, 4 gig ram (only using 2), XP32, GTX260 (OC216).

Innovative, polished, and streamlined. Simply amazing King Nothing... well worth the wait. :)

To those playing this: I highly recommend deciding from the beginning, absolutely no reloads. Play it through starting at mission 1 and try like hell to stay alive through mission 7. If you can manage this play style, you're in for one totally immersive and death defying experience.

A handful of suggestions / other feedback:

1. This is the first mission I can recall where I really cared about my soldier's individual lives. But strangely, once they die, they disappear from the Manage Platoon section. How about a KIA listing to the right of the Reserves list?

2. As it stands, imo right now the soldiers are pretty interchangeable, and while I want drastically want to keep them alive because I have to make them last though 7 missions, there's not much distinguishing them from one another (aside from the abilities). How about reporting how many missions a soldier has survived? For instance, on the Squad Structure page, there's a perfect amount of space to the right of a soldier's name for this. Example: "Torch 6: Feliks Stratvoytova (2 missions completed)". That would go a long way to being able to tell who's been with you since the beginning, and make you feel a greater loss, when you lose them.

3. As it stands, there's no quick way to get the status for Spark squad. How about a Status button on the Spark Control menu? Ideally it might be a fancy dialog, but even a simple solution would work, like upon selection Spark squad leader radios a verbal status, etc.

4. Consider making control of Spark squad radio 0-0-0, as it's probably the most frequently used. Plus in the heat of combat, that makes it quick and easy to issue them commands on the fly.

5. Seems like time of day/weather is getting set moments after everything fades in and you are facing the insertion vehicle, and it's kind of an immersion breaker. Ideally do these transitions while everything is faded to black?

6. Might come in handy, but an option to cancel CAS (once it's already in progress)?

7. I simply love the "fast travel" via ground, where everything cuts to black, time passes, and suddenly you're much closer to the objective. However, you still end up WAY back and still have a long way to go. Any chance of moving this "fast travel" reemergence point in toward the objective significantly? (Imo any amount would improve matters.)

8. The intro is simply awesome! But once you've seen it a couple times... well we all know how that goes. So considering the long mission startup time is due to the intro, how about an option to skip the intro outright? I.e. A small file in the "ArmA 2\userconfig" folder, etc? (Just in case you've never tried pulling in user settings from a hpp file, it's easy and quick, and could explain in a quick PM if necessary.)

9. Seems like there are a significant amount of night missions, which may or may not be everyone's cup of tea. Maybe an option to limit them in some way?

10. So far I've made it to mission 3 (and got cut down in my prime, oh the humanity!!!) Are there any "set piece" missions? For example, a final showdown in the capital Chernogorsk? If not, how hard would it be to integrate something like this in? (i.e. Aside from creating the mission itself.)

11. Are you open to other mission designers creating / releasing missions using your "engine", provided the mission idea is different enough and you get full credits, etc? I'd love to see such a mission from the rebel perspective.

12. This mission is screaming for COOP!!!!!! Torch and Spark, come on! :D (Just so we're on the same page, I do have some concept of what a MASSIVE undertaking that would be.)

In any event, keep up the good work! Can't wait to see what's next!

MadRussian, this is the kind of feedback that I have ideally been expecting. In addition to very motivating compliments, many very good and implementable suggestions for improving the campaign. And you seem to get the idea of this campaign that I have been after since the beginning of this project. :)

1. I have had this in mind. Considering this campaign concentrates closely on the platoon this is a good addition. I'll add this to the to-do list.

2. Very good point and follows the same idea. Added to the to-do list.

3. What information will this status report include? Because I've been thinking to add the information about the suffered casualties. Added to the to-do list.

4. At the moment there's the debug features in 0-0-0, 0-0-9 and 0-0-8 but I can move the Spark menu to 0-0-0 for the first non-beta version. Added to the to-do list.

5. Yeah, I totally reworked the weather system about 2-3 weeks ago so this flaw is a new one. I need to fix this. Added to the to-do list.

6. I have been thinking of this feature and a friend of mine said the same. Added to the to-do list.

7. There's a reason for placing the transport so far from the insertion point. You see, the enemy reinforcements are placed on the map prior to the start of the mission. This means your transport can encounter some these guerillas and the mission gets a new twist. ;) This happens once in a while.

8. Umm do you mean the intro that comes first when you open up the campaign? Just press esc and choose "skip intro". Or do you mean the small scene showing the FOB? This takes just few seconds.

9. The possibility of getting a night mission is probably a bit too high, I agree. I have been thinking of adding a dialog to the beginning of the campaign where you can set settings suchs as this. Added to the to-do list.

10. I'm not 100% sure what you mean. But like I said above, I'm maybe going to add this dialog where you can also choose a single mission instead of playing the current 7 mission long "story-mode" where you can set the amount of forces, support, time of day, all the variables that are otherwise randomized. Then you can play any kind of mission you like!

11. Hmm of course, why not, though I highly think that some other mission designer might have serious problem trying to figure out how my scripts are working.

12. Multiplayer scripting si something very hard for me. First everything works in SP but when you try to get it to work in multiplayer everything goes haywire! I've got this campaign in this state with the condition to leave out the MP version. :D

For the other posters, I have added your suggestions to my to-do list as well. Thank for all for the nice feedback and keep that coming!

Edited by King Nothing

Thanks for that information. that's realy weird, becuase again I tested last night vanilla (no addons or beta) and it sits at the first intro initialisation and basicly does nothing else, I have failed to ever enter the mission screen, again, so much so its idle I waited for about 6 minutes or more and then alt tabbed to kill process as I cant get back out of it.

I cant say its your mission as from what you say its a nice and simple pre cache (which is a great idea) .. but ... will the bloody thing work on this PC LOL :)

I am at a bit of a loss how to test it, again all other campaigns are running fine, PMC / BAF A2 / Bardosy missions ... all sorts. I have AMD 64 x2 3.1 gig, 4 gig ram (only using 2), XP32, GTX260 (OC216).

Hmmm this is very odd indeed, seems like your comp freezes up trying to load a lot of textures and lods in a short period of time or something, this is my theory. There's nothing rockets science about the preload phase. Like I asked, are you using any addons?

id like to expand on what madrussian said, especially on the guys that make it through each mission, remember how in the original ghost recon, if your squad mates survive a mission, they gain experience and become better in combat? well, you could do something like a setskill on each unit that makes it through a mission, increasing their skill slightly. It might not seem like a whole lot, but im sure it would create sustenance in players carefully trying to keep their guys alive.

just something to think about, other than that, this is a fantastic job. Very much like playing it, keep it up!

MadRussian, this is the kind of feedback that I have ideally been expecting. In addition to very motivating compliments, many very good and implementable suggestions for improving the campaign. And you seem to get the idea of this campaign that I have been after since the beginning of this project. :)

Hey no problem at all. Feedback is the easy part. :D And glad to see you implementing so many suggestions!

1. I have had this in mind. Considering this campaign concentrates closely on the platoon this is a good addition. I'll add this to the to-do list.

Couple more suggestions on KIAs.

Hopefully not too hard to do, but when they are dead have "KIA" right on their picture in white. I've seen it in other games and it really adds something.

Also, I'm thinking about the idea of maybe leaving the KIA guys in the Squad Structure, so you have to take them out manually and thus really feel it. But then that would make things less streamlined as well, unless you could just drag a new guy directly on top of your KIA guy, who in turn populates the KIA list. So in short, you could allow the user to both: simply drag KIA guy out -or- drag new guy to slot and remove KIA guy that way.

3. What information will this status report include? Because I've been thinking to add the information about the suffered casualties. Added to the to-do list.

That's basically what I was thinking, just would like to know how men killed/remaining. For the fancy version, maybe you can pull up detailed info on both squads, similar to in original GR1.

7. There's a reason for placing the transport so far from the insertion point. You see, the enemy reinforcements are placed on the map prior to the start of the mission. This means your transport can encounter some these guerillas and the mission gets a new twist. ;) This happens once in a while.

Interested if we can expect to possibly see enemies outside the immediate objective area if we receive such info on the Support section of the Field Intel page? So far I've only seen "weak", etc. Does "weak" always mean "no enemies" in this case?

8. Umm do you mean the intro that comes first when you open up the campaign? Just press esc and choose "skip intro". Or do you mean the small scene showing the FOB? This takes just few seconds.

I mean the initial intro. One of your earlier posts seemed to suggest that it was causing the lengthy mission startup. But sounds like if this is the case, simply skipping initial intro removes any additional waiting?

10. I'm not 100% sure what you mean. But like I said above, I'm maybe going to add this dialog where you can also choose a single mission instead of playing the current 7 mission long "story-mode" where you can set the amount of forces, support, time of day, all the variables that are otherwise randomized. Then you can play any kind of mission you like!

Let's see, by "set piece missions", I was thinking something along the lines of one or two, maybe three special missions that fall outside the normal randomized ones. For instance, maybe the final mission could be an all out assault (either attack or defense, perhaps based upon how you did on all the previous missions), where ALL remaining soldiers under your command are involved in a life or death struggle against a formitable rebel force, with no option to retreat. Or maybe the entire platooon retreating is the final mission. A mid-point "set piece" mission might involve a convoy ride, where suddenly you men are being ambushed. I can think of all kinds of special mission ideas that don't involve the normal setup but that would add tremendous variety.

The set piece missions would perhaps be more heavily scripted, but could have many random elements in-and-of themselves.

I'm thinking also, even after playing the campaign over and over again, once you get somewhat used to the standard random missions, you would still have that "final epic struggle" to look forward to, etc.

11. Hmm of course, why not, though I highly think that some other mission designer might have serious problem trying to figure out how my scripts are working.

Maybe you can come up with a "King Nothing's Forgotten Few Custom Campaign Designer's Guide". Half kidding. :D

12. Multiplayer scripting si something very hard for me. First everything works in SP but when you try to get it to work in multiplayer everything goes haywire! I've got this campaign in this state with the condition to leave out the MP version. :D

I hear you on the difficulty of MP scripting. Two schools of thought, neither is very pretty. First is start with SP and when you get it finished start over and build up the MP piece by piece. But with this method you're probably so exhausted after the SP that you never start the MP. Second, build it MP from the ground up. Sounds like a wise choice, but you'll likely burn out and never finish any of it!

Anyhow, no promises, but I might have a look and if I'm feeling brave maybe even try my hand at an COOP conversion. Because your mission is so close to what I've always been striving to create anyway, why re-invent the wheel from scratch?

I did find potentially a new issue:

13. During the planning phase, if you lose the menus (by pressing ESC enough times, etc), there appears to be no way to get the menus back. Even clicking on the map doesn't help. Perhaps a radio option during planning to restore the menu?

And a quick question on revive. No revive? I certainly haven't gone into wounded state or seen it happen to any of my men. If that's the case, I wholeheartedly applaud the decision. Imo, that's part of what made Cipher so incredibly successful.

Ah ok, I thought it was a dynamic campaign ... well ok, must check the PDF next time, so its a dynamic campaign as a mission then :)

I'm a genius as well! I really should read the readme! :)

Iv had a crack at this a few times. Managed to do the first and second missions once, but I keep getting random crashes. Sometimes it will be after the first mission, i got it at the start of the third mission and sometimes its just in the middle of the mission or before the insertion via helicopter. There is no error message just the usual. Arma 2 is not responding.

Two ideas about fast-travel (aka. MadRussian's 7. point), which is the only weak (but still okay) part right now for me in the mission.

1. Ground: I also would like the fast-travel to bring me closer to destination. Watching the travel through an empty land even in 4x mode is taking tooo long, thus killing the tension.

Solution idea: Normally the fast travel could put you close to destination. In the rare (random) event of an en-route enemy attack, the fast travel could be suspended, with driver shouting "ambush!". So you get kind of the same surpise, which you would get if the attack happened in normal travel mode. (btw. vehicle ambushes are not among the strongest features of Arma anyhow: you don't know where you are getting out, etc.)

After the situation is solved (no enemy stayed alive, && everybody is back in vehicle) fast travel could continue. These ambushes could happen anywhere en-route.

2. Air: in distances greater than like 4-5 kms I would welcome fast travel for air as well. I had to travel across the whole map for every mission so far: lots of boring time, lots of unnecessary texture loading, and I didn't get more immersion as the country is empty.

But these are only my thoughts.Thanks for reading them!

Edited by zapat

Good ideas zapat. Maybe another twist on the long-distance-drive solution is to simply detect enemies along the route via findNearestEnemy or similar and move the reemergence point inward toward the objective accordingly. (And make it a bit random so you can't always know exactly when you are going to encounter pre-objective enemies.)

On another note, are the people having crashes all using ACE? If so maybe there's a correlation. I've played this mission quite a bit with no crashes yet (and all w/o ACE).

Iv had a crack at this a few times. Managed to do the first and second missions once, but I keep getting random crashes. Sometimes it will be after the first mission, i got it at the start of the third mission and sometimes its just in the middle of the mission or before the insertion via helicopter. There is no error message just the usual. Arma 2 is not responding.

Some people seem to have crashes with this campaign. Which version are you using, the addon one? Any other addons you're using? Any other info you could give me about your setting, CO or vanilla arma, arma 2 beta or official patch, which operating system, how old computer? I haven't had any crashes with this campaign so any info might be useful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uggyrt7aln8 wttttffff lol ive never seen anything like this before for those of you that dont know this is something that was being discussed earlier in the thread

I'm quite sure that is caused by 2 weather scripts running at the same time. Just checked everything and can't see how this has happened. I haven't had this bug so far. Are you using any addons besides the ones required by the campaign? Anyone else had this bug?

EDIT: Oh and how many times have you had this bug?

Two ideas about fast-travel (aka. MadRussian's 7. point), which is the only weak (but still okay) part right now for me in the mission.

1. Ground: I also would like the fast-travel to bring me closer to destination. Watching the travel through an empty land even in 4x mode is taking tooo long, thus killing the tension.

Solution idea: Normally the fast travel could put you close to destination. In the rare (random) event of an en-route enemy attack, the fast travel could be suspended, with driver shouting "ambush!". So you get kind of the same surpise, which you would get if the attack happened in normal travel mode. (btw. vehicle ambushes are not among the strongest features of Arma anyhow: you don't know where you are getting out, etc.)

After the situation is solved (no enemy stayed alive, && everybody is back in vehicle) fast travel could continue. These ambushes could happen anywhere en-route.

2. Air: in distances greater than like 4-5 kms I would welcome fast travel for air as well. I had to travel across the whole map for every mission so far: lots of boring time, lots of unnecessary texture loading, and I didn't get more immersion as the country is empty.

But these are only my thoughts.Thanks for reading them!

Hmmm yeah this is a good idea, I'll add this to my list. It will take some time to achieve and like they say, if it isn't broken, don't fix it. ;) But I will look into it.

---------- Post added at 03:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 PM ----------

Here's a short movie that I was suddenly inspired to make while I was messing with some stuff with my campaign. Open it up in youtube to see it in better quality. Hope you enjoy. :)

unMV1AWSrH4

Edited by King Nothing

its happened two or three times im using ace2 and a soundmod unit and weapon addons it could maybe be from island addons? some of them come with weather modules although i dont see how thats possible without the module being placed in the mission i just started using a difrent ui as you can see in my video but these problems started happening before i started using it

nice video btw i duno what it is about the russian music but im really enjoying it lol

if im the only one with this problem then its something that im using so i wouldn worry about it

Edited by lsp

WOW!

cant say much more, heading back to continue the action!

hey! first of all, great work, really enjoyed the first mission so far.

however, for some reason the task where i have to destroy the camp wount complete, found and completed the suitcase task but the camptask wount end.

ty!

hey! first of all, great work, really enjoyed the first mission so far.

however, for some reason the task where i have to destroy the camp wount complete, found and completed the suitcase task but the camptask wount end.

ty!

Umm I'm not sure which kind of mission it was but was other objective to defeat the enemy forces? Sometimes it takes some time for the objective to get ticked because there are enemy reinforcements inbound and you need to defeat them as well. Don't worry, there's a countdown timer for situations when the reinforcements gets stuck somehow and the mission will still get ticked if they won't show up eventually. Just take positions and wait.

There is the debug radio command - show enemy for such problems (I guess until the mission is beta). I had one enemy in a very hidden spot once, who didn't let the trigger trig. :)

yea i used that debug trigger but i couldnt see enemys no more. il try wait for enemy reinforcements.

@kingnothing

was the first mission in the campaign

Just to report my issues on previous posts were due to me being a complete idiot and not realise I still had XP in /3gb switch mode ... shamefull.

Anyway, love the intro, love the menu options and way its used to start missions, pretty much loved all of it (should be used for Official BIS missions!) ... now I just need time to play the missions for better feedback than my list of user errors.

Sounds like a nice campaign but will try it out after bug fixes

Would also be nice to have the BLUFOR edition in the future