Sign in to follow this  
daraofp

BELLICUS INSULA Island

BELLICUS INSULA

Its been a long time since i posted any thing about Island...

Some of you know i started a ww2 island 10 monts ago, but i had to give up on that project because i did not have enaugh free time to make such a detailed island

So i decited to use all those ww2 laocations i made so far and i imported them into my old GALA island and i had changed all the objects and texture (basicly this is a whole new island i just used some elevations of hills and mountains from Gala island)

As previos island there will be a Woodland and Desert part so you can make war scenarios as you like

At the end i hope to give you 2 versions of the island...

-one will be normal version

-Second will be like a war destroyed version where i will replace houses and walls with the destroed ones so it will give a real war athmosphere when fighting in city with grenade craters, houses and trees burned, wall sections destroyed

The work is going fine, im working full force here are some screenshots of the island locations

ofp23.jpg

ofp20.jpg

ofp2.jpg

ofp3.jpg

ofp4.jpg

Edited by daraofp

Some more screenshots...

ofp5.jpg

ofp21.jpg

ofp7.jpg

ofp8.jpg

ofp9.jpg

Edited by daraofp

Looks very nice! I like the ground textures.

Have you considered using any custom vegetation on the island in place of the old CWC vegetation (Berghoff's nature packs for example)? I think it would give a nice touch.

How much does it differ from the original Gala island? Is the landscape basicly the same with just new object placements, or are there differences in the landscape too?

I'll be definately looking forward to this. Any estimated release date?

great stuff, perticularly interested to see the destroyed one!

Really nice, I had been waiting for your WW2 island, but hell, this is like it and I love it too :P

About the nature pack i tried all sorts of grases and bushes...

Bergof nature addons look great but the collor of the objects are a bit to spring kinki oposite ground texture and the model LOD is what bugs me the most (Dont know why but i just dont like when objects drasticly change shape when you aproach them) sam thing with some houses i tried, thay look good up close but when i aprocah from the distance the house changes shape because it has to many geometric poligons

-Most locations will be completly new in woodland, new elevation, new citiy and willages

-Forest and tree objects are from resistance (onley one Tree from CWC is used on the locations where Headges are, tried some resistance objects but dont look that good)

But i used one bush from CWC for most of the areas

The desert part, well the elevations will be mostley the same buth new texture, towns and litle willages

This time im using more addons for the island:

-Bean_tex (desert texture

-Fml_objects (farmland objects)

-CAF_KKK_BUILDINGS (houses for smoe towns)

-Indukush (texture for woodland part)

-Mapfact Baracken (military baracken for woodland and desert part)

-JOF_Objects1 (for airfield and othe parts)

-MAP_OilAddon (oil pumps for desert part)

-erba (ww2 looking wall for farms and willages)

-BAS_O (for desert town and all roads in desert part)

I uploaded sme screenshots so you can see how the same location looks with resistance bushes and old CWC

samplebush1.jpg

samplebush2.jpg

On this pictures you can see how heages look with resistance trees and bushes and how it looks with CWC

sampleheadge1.jpg

sampleheadge2.jpg

To the left CWC and right resistance (not mention that les lagg with CWC headges

smaplelr.jpg

Wow, those pics look really nice. I always liked the video of your Gala island :) How does it balance out in terms of looks vs performance?

Thanks

Wow, those pics look really nice. I always liked the video of your Gala island :) How does it balance out in terms of looks vs performance?

Thanks

It runs great and it looks same as in the screenshots...that was my goal to make it look good and not lose any FPS by choseing the right objects and vegetation...

I can make a city using 100 of houses and not get lagg if those houses have simple geometry shapes and LOD or i can make a city with 15 houses and get lots of lagg if every house had interior and complex geometry

The houses are there for ambient an to give a playground on the streets and around them, thats why i dont wona waste CPU memory making something this game was not designed to do...this game is ment to have battles on a open ground and AI dosent even know how to navigate inside a house without scripting

Even on the most detailed parts of island i play a battle mission and the game runs wery smooth

my graphic is set to

-1600x900

-terrain detail normal

-visual distance 1k

-visual detail to middle

And my PC is 3 years old

It runs great and it looks same as in the screenshots...that was my goal to make it look good and not lose any FPS by choseing the right objects and vegetation...

Amen. :D I think people sometimes try to make the most detailed islands they possibly can and dont realize that most people will experience FPS loss. I dont have a super computer and I like it when people aim to balance looks with performance.

How long will it take you to put out an update ;)? I never tried Gala and I figure I will just try this instead. Also, do you have any AI problems with so much vegetation? I tried a WW2 map once and the AI clogged down trying to figure out how to move around.

Anyways, it looks good!

Edited by Blitzen

How long will it take you to put out an update ;)? I never tried Gala and I figure I will just try this instead. Also, do you have any AI problems with so much vegetation? I tried a WW2 map once and the AI clogged down trying to figure out how to move around.

Anyways, it looks good!

About update...not sure it still has lots of work to be done, but when i have enough locations ready i will upload a beta version so players can test it and se how it will look

About the AI thats were i pay lot of attention, all the area have been tested, i made lots of missions and AI can navigate just fine!

I dont make fences around a house or a field to long so AI can find path around it and i combine bushes with fences because AI can walk trough bushes!

Also the city streets are AI friendly...i noticed on some islands guy make relistic narow streets and the AI can not navigate trough them

Will also post a video on youtube of a gameplay on some location!

Looks nice, I like the Mediterranean feel.

Looks like a great island, also FPS-wise! I'm eager to play this.

I hope you will keep the hydro dam from your Gala Island in the new version ;).

The dam & the number of bridges you scattered throughout made for a really target rich environment for aircraft & sabotage missions.

Is the Gala dam destructible? I tried hitting it with numerous ATGMs (Mavericks, Hellfires) & FFARs but all I managed to do was scratch the paint.

Keep up the good work!

I hope you will keep the hydro dam from your Gala Island in the new version ;).

The dam & the number of bridges you scattered throughout made for a really target rich environment for aircraft & sabotage missions.

Is the Gala dam destructible? I tried hitting it with numerous ATGMs (Mavericks, Hellfires) & FFARs but all I managed to do was scratch the paint.

Keep up the good work!

Yes i will keep the Dam fom the old island, but unfortunatly it can not be destroyed (acctualy i made Dam using ground elevation and concrete texture)

Here are new screenshoots of some new locations

Small town and farms

90715315.jpg

10098395.jpg

75141008.jpg

36858186.jpg

86328256.jpg

Edited by daraofp

On this pictures you can see the game map and how there will be lots of various locations

58769966.jpg

56845003.jpg

You have a great eye for Island design! Features are nicely spread out and I don't get the feeling of being in a barren landscape with sudden pockets of civilization.

The hedgerows, tree-lined roads and other natural cover are very important to give the player (and hopefully the AI) a fighting chance & the ability to use realistic tactics. Having to sprint across hundreds of yards of barren ground is no fun when you are under fire.

The ability to overwatch http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overwatch is another important aspect that adds a lot to gameplay. Villages & towns that are overlooked by hills are well suited for recon & sniping missions.

You have a great eye for Island design! Features are nicely spread out and I don't get the feeling of being in a barren landscape with sudden pockets of civilization.

The hedgerows, tree-lined roads and other natural cover are very important to give the player (and hopefully the AI) a fighting chance & the ability to use realistic tactics. Having to sprint across hundreds of yards of barren ground is no fun when you are under fire.

Thanx, i did spend 15 years drawing pictures and sketches :)

When i remember 5 years ago i started using WRP island tool because this was my favorite game but it always lacked some good islands!

Most islands were made in a short time and it was just forests and trees randomly placed across the terrain and a few houses to make a town or a village!

It's easy'er to make a good mission when there are appropriate places on the map!

Well looking at screen I can forgive You no answer for my pm. ;)

How good will be performance? Gala island was running at my crappy comp very good, and I have very good memories with villages and cities :) I hope this map will be have good performance too ?

Bielow

Beautiful work Dara.Even without a population the villages/towns look

believable.The locations have a lot of "character",for want of a better word.

:)

Well looking at screen I can forgive You no answer for my pm. ;)

How good will be performance? Gala island was running at my crappy comp very good, and I have very good memories with villages and cities :) I hope this map will be have good performance too ?

Bielow

Ups...sorry for not answering the pm :)

I was away for a few months from this forum, i'm like a bear...spend a few months in front of a pc then away for a few months :P

The performance will bee good i am using only few, very simple houses for the citys but will design it to look nice and have nice streets for fighting.

Im not gonna put to much stuff and little details to cause any FPS drop.

My focus is to make it simple but good looking