Sign in to follow this  
wolffy.au

BIS Module Improvement Project

Not at home so I cannot test this stuff but I have a few questions.

1. I guess I download the 20110331 file and then the addon? Just ignore the 20110315 file? What is that addon file?

2. It sounds like cars and traffic are included in this ALICE2 improvement so I would not need to put a SILVIE mod on my map anymore?

3. I can now use this ALICE2 on maps like Utes from A2 instead of the original ALICE/SILVIE mods?

Many thanks to anyone who answers these questions from an unsure noob!!

1. I'm using the mip-20110331.zip and not the addons. I suspect that that with the addon the server must have it or all. I want the improvements to be mission-side so I use the non-addon version.

2. I think traffic has always been ALICE-related, however, there is probably more traffic now than with vanilla. I think SILVIE just creates cars, however, the more cars the easier it might be for ALICE-civilians to find cars?

3. From my understanding that is the intention of the project.

Muzzleflash thanks for taking the time to post some answers. So the add on file is for people who want to "host" multiplayer games but I just want to play SP and the editor so I only need the 20110331 version? I guess the 20110315 version is an older version that is not used anymore? Kinda confusing!

okay the instructions on the website say to copy the CA folder to where the mission is. I can do that no problem but what do I do with the MIP folder?

Also...there are many place where you are able to set the spawn distance. Which one actually works?

I've asked Icebreakr to drop in and answer your questions Muzzleflash - fingers crossed he gets the message.

Lanzfeld - the MIP folder contains some setup scripts I use to make Ambient Civilians a bit more exciting. Experiment with them and see if you want to use them in your mission.

With respect to the lines of code that you have to add to the function init and Alice2 init, can I combine those into an init.sqf and put it in the mission folder or do they have to be in the init line of the modules? It is quite a lot of code to type everytime I put these two modules into an editor mission so I was looking for a quicker way.

With respect to the lines of code that you have to add to the function init and Alice2 init, can I combine those into an init.sqf and put it in the mission folder or do they have to be in the init line of the modules? It is quite a lot of code to type everytime I put these two modules into an editor mission so I was looking for a quicker way.

I wouldn't put them in an init.sqf since that runs later.

1. You do have other options than typing them. Create text file somewhere and write the lines there. Whenever you create a new mission alt-tab out to copy and paste the lines.

2. Create a mission on a small island. Put all the modules and fill their inits. Whenever you make a new mission, merge with this mission, and remove the modules you don't need.

The first suggestion will not work as you cannot paste in the init Windows in a modules. I will try the second one though. Thank you!

The first suggestion will not work as you cannot paste in the init Windows in a modules. I will try the second one though. Thank you!

press ctrl and c to copy then ctrl and v to paste :)

The High Commander module doesn't work with JIP. The problem is that the main script the logic launches serverside performs all setup at initialization and not again when any player joins so a lot of information does not get set correctly. I'm thinking that fixing this lies within the scope of this project perhaps?

A current workaround is to re-synchronize the unit and make the server run the setup script again when the commander connects. This can be done by dropping the following in the init of the commander:

if (isServer) then {
   hc_mod synchronizeObjectsAdd [this];
   [hc_mod] execVM "ca\modules\HC\data\scripts\HC.sqf";
};

In this example I've named the HC module 'hc_mod'.

It might be a lot more difficult to get working seamless though. Since editor synchronization only works when the units does not JIP, there is no way to know which unit is actually intended to be the commander.

So the "CA" folder contains all the bug fixes from the released version (like doorways, ect.) and is manditory?

The "MIP" folder is optional? What is included in the MIP folder? Is this where the rare civilian that speaks english is?

I guess am looking for an explanation of what is in each folder and which ones are optional.

A current workaround is to re-synchronize the unit and make the server run the setup script again when the commander connects.

That's awesome Muzzleflash - will need to integrate that into the code.

I really need to commit this stuff to GIT and release another version of MIP, but I don't have time. If Muzzleflash or Alef are interested in GIT developer access, please let me know and I'll arrange it.

It will take the pressure off me having to coordinate everything.

Exciting news. I just wanted to let you know I am following this closely.

It does not mean much, lol, but the BIMI (acronyms!) is a great project.

I am working on my re-written EOD mod so I cannot really provide you with any help at the moment, but if I could I would ;)

Yeah, I should really find time to push my latest improvements into a release. Just not enough hours in the day unfortunately!

That would be great Wolffy!

Haven't you invented the 28 Hour DayTM yet ?

This is a great project, Wolffy. Thanks for sharing it and supporting here.

I have a few questions that anyone who's got the MIP working well should be able to answer, please.

This isn't clear from what I've read: is the MIP folder (and its scripts) optional? So the minimum needed is just the CA folder dropped in the mission folder, and the code added to the Functions, Ambient Civ (expansion) and Garbage Collector init boxes?

Do the modules need to be Grouped with the Functions module, as in your sample/demo missions?

The instructions say that the text for the Garbage Collector init will make it check automatically every 5 minutes: what happens if you don't use that text? Does it still work on a dedicated server? What's different? -I don't see it working, even after all players leave the area for 5 minutes.

Thanks heaps!

I need to make another release with a few template style missions.

But you are right with your assumptions, that should be all you require.

Grouping of modules is nothing - it does help the order which they are loaded, so if somethink breaks, try loading Functions module first.

Place a BIS Garbage Collector module in the mission editor and add the following to your Garbage Collector module INIT to auto scavenge for dead bodies and destroyed vehicles every 5 minutes.

BIS_GC setVariable ["auto",true];

auto scavenger actually only works if set to false...

check garbagecollector.fsm and inside the "check queue" state

if (_collector getVariable ["auto", [b][color="Red"]false[/color][/b]] && time > _autotime) then 

etc..

Desrat, I wrote that code - so double check it. :)

...(_collector getVariable ["auto", false]...

It basically is saying, if getVariable "auto" is not set, return 'false' by default.

so _collector getVariable "auto" has to be true AND time > _autotime for scavenger to initiate.

If anyone is interested, I wrote a GarbageCollector Test mission this week, which I've posted to DH MIP (http://dev-heaven.net/attachments/download/14289/Test_GC.utes.7z). The code has been updated to be A2Free compatible and the test mission confirms that units, vehicles and empty groups are all being scavenged as designed.

strange - when I pre-placed the garbage module it didn't work but when creating it on the fly (from init.sqf) it works fine..

Try that test mission, see how it goes for you.

I'm just trying to sync all my MIP code, will try an updated release for tonight.

Latest MIP release here:

http://dev-heaven.net/attachments/download/14334/mip-20110925.7z

Changelog:

• Added vanilla A2CO and custom A2CO missions for Utes

Ambient Civilians

• Made maximum traffic proportional to civilian count
  • Minor bug fix causing cosmetic errors
  • Added civilian stone throwing and random pistols (optional)
  • Fixed ALICE2 house effects performance issues:

• emptydoor caching

• town active checking

• 15s delay between checks

• Fixed issue of always 1 passenger
  • Reverted back to vehicles created in the center of town
  • Initialising drivers with ALICE_civilianInit

Garbage Collector

• Added Test Garbage Collector mission
  • Fixed Garbage Collector queue processing
  • Process Queue variable set to broadcast (MP compatibility)
  • Fixed auto empty Group bug
  • Made code A2Free compatible

Civilian Vehicles

• Enabled random radio
  • Added random lock (optional)
  • Ported zGuba's random fuel and damage (optional)
  • Rating -400 if stealing a civilian car (optional)
  • Converge to terrain (zGuba)

Ambient Animals

• Fixed blacklist zones (no more animals on runways)

BIS Functions

• BIS_fnc_music is played in realtime, playback is faster after hitting Escape (zGuba)

Edited by Wolffy.au

Excellent job!

Hopefully BI will integrate it into the arma core itself.