Sign in to follow this  
EDcase

No more flying bodies please

Please BIS, it shouldn't be too hard to make people disappear in a red cloud (controlled by blood option) if hit by large caliber munition or caught in an explosion. (basically if damage exceeds certain amount in one hit)

Their inventory would be destroyed as well so no need to deal with that being dropped.

This would be so much better than seeing bodies fly about in a death pose. And for those that want to argue, its not about gore. Its about realistic reactions to physical situations. (It could be dissabled in blood settings anyway so everyone can be happy)

Edited by EDcase

Technically possible... someone could mod this quite easily. Upon killed with X round types delete the unit and SPAWN pink mist particle effect.

Yeah, I'd like a bit of gibbs too and that could also be controlled by blood setting.

There was a mod that did gibbs but had problems I think.

It is possible to do all this with mods but I'd like it done by BIS:inlove: so its as efficient as possible. (The number of mods used these days is getting crazy)

really good idea !

i already imagine the hot blood particle on AH-64 thermal :p

its already been done in slx

And if I don't want the rest of SLX features...? Unheard of I know...

I'd still prefer BIS to do it and have fewer mods to worry about.

Edited by EDcase

And if I don't want the rest of SLX features...? Unheard of I know...

then just use the pbo that has the GORE effect.... which people do.

But +1 I want to see this done by BIS aswell.

You don't like this then?

Bwahaha!

Who says there's no physics in Arma?! Thats mega physics.

Back to SLX , I just added Wounds.pbo and lit up some AI with M1a1 cannon -those gibs are pretty fricken entertaining -thanks for reminder :D

Would be nice to see this implemented officially. Flying bodies are hilarious, but kind of an immersion-breaker. (as are the disappearing rocks, by the way)

I'd support this change. :)

LOL, I love it but just doesn't seem to fit so well in a combat simulator with roots to software used by many of the worlds military. :war:

prime example where it should not look like a Monty Python sketch Edited by EDcase

is also a prime example where it should not look like a Monty Python sketch

That may not be so unreal. We had a neighbor who blew himself up with his underground meth lab in our quiet lil suburb -body flew 75+ft (20 meters?) according to the police report and was apparently airborne.

Edited by froggyluv

No that would make ACEs M109 rubbish!!

Nothing more entertaining than scoring a direct hit with a 109! watch them fly yi yi yi in the sky yi yi yi

ITS RAININ MEN HALLELUJAH!

I loled.

I'd love to see BIS "fix" the "issue"; but frankly, I think it gives the game character, just like the UAZs, that turn into missiles themselves, when you hit them with a Hellfire.

If it were to be implemented, it would have to be the same for everybody. There would be synchronization issues if it were an option. It's not exactly a client side effect, like blood spray or a sound, there is something being deleted from the game. Perhaps if it was akin to the difficulty settings, where it was server side, it would work.

+ 1 for this and Ragdoll physics with separable limbs.

I'm no sicko but I would like more gore, or at least the option to ratchet it up a bit. Its a touchy subject though and seems to me that BIS have no interest in going this route.

I'm not so much interested in the gore as I am appropriate details. In OFP I remember being distictly creeped out upon finding out what happened to a Chinhook I was waiting for, I found it laying in a field after being brought down, but the detail I remember was all the dead soldiers still strapped in the cargo area... currently dead bodies seem to either disappear or get ejected in ArmA2.

Oh, and some of the dead soldiers could be found around the Chinhook, either they tried to jump & were killed on landing, or they had crawled out & subsequently died from injury. Either way, good details.

Edited by DMarkwick

I'd support this change too. Just a little bit more gore. But not like soldier of fortune :D

- New ragdoll for flying bodies+ limbs physics ( no more flyin high ! )/ or body explosion with heavy bullet. ( maybe skin more black when hit by HE )

- Just a little bit real blood ( see blood with thermal, and blood a lot dark red with light reflection when its on ground )

A better solution might be simply for the superman theme to play as the bodies are launched unto oblivion!

flyin body kill the game ahaha ( the last second of movie )

I'd also support this change, I once hit an infantryman with a sabot round from M1 Abrams and he stayed in one piece. It should blow him into gibs. Also, hits from large caliber rounds (.50 cal or so) should be as messy as they really are (M107 would be noticably more "fun" with this). What ArmA series always done well was conveying the atmosphere of war and showing it just like it really is. Having heavy weapons massacre bodies like they do IRL would greatly improve the immersion. I doubt there would be many things with greater emotional impact than seeing your squad literally torn to shreds by a HMG or HE rounds from an APC. That's exactly how making a mistake in a war zone may end up like. Blood showing up on TWS would also be helpfull, especially that it's sometimes difficult to tell if the enemy just went prone or was killed. Aside from blood, I'd also like to see weapons and equipment being damaged if hit (the aforementioned infantryman hit my a sabot round still had his weapon, mags, grenades and everything perfectly usable, as if he was hit by an M-16 round) and parts being scattered around along with gibs.

remember that most games using ragdolls calculate them completely or partly clientside w/o correct MP sync

this mean issues and usually each MP client sees something else

ragdoll like death solution would need to include not just change of death animations with dynamic blending from every posture ...

but it means correct collisions in the enviroment, MP sync, AI sync (to be able properly find where the corpses ended) and leaves question what happens to weapons or accessories/bags etc.

easy wish and quite complicated to solve correctly for complex game

but its fun when the enemy is hit by a huge explosion and then fly sooo high....

higher then high... to the stars... then move to orbit around the Earth:bounce3:

remember that most games using ragdolls calculate them completely or partly clientside w/o correct MP sync

this mean issues and usually each MP client sees something else

ragdoll like death solution would need to include not just change of death animations with dynamic blending from every posture ...

but it means correct collisions in the enviroment, MP sync, AI sync (to be able properly find where the corpses ended) and leaves question what happens to weapons or accessories/bags etc.

easy wish and quite complicated to solve correctly for complex game

Although I agree that ragdoll for giggles is pretty much unnecessary, one thing it would vastly improve is the battlefield visual complexity. When ArmA2 units die, they lie in one of a few rather easily identifiable poses, which makes it easy to quickly disregard situations that IRL might be treated differently.

(SLX makes good use of resuscitating "dead" bodies so that you're compelled to put a few extra rounds into a fallen or apparently dead unit, which is a nice touch IMO :))

Ragdoll would improve this, and it doesn't need to break the MP object placements, in a suitably coded MP ragdoll system the torso position would be subject to the normal game engine processing, but all arm, head & leg positions could be done clientside. After all, what would it matter if each player saw different arm & leg positions? I doubt this detail would ever be noticed outside of screenshot comparisons.

For the unconvinced, ragdoll systems can be tweaked to allow more/less inertia per limb, so flailing and flopping bodies could be easily minimised by increasing the ragdoll's settings to make all limbs very heavy and more prone to the sort of stillness and leadenness we associate with RL dead bodies.