Sign in to follow this  
danny96

Major suggestions

Vote for best suggestion!  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for best suggestion!

• More voices (Steve is hit!, tracks hit we can't move now!...)
    • Bleeding & replace wound textures with better ones
    • Bullets repeling
    • Rotating hands in cars and bikes
    • More dead animations
    • Better shadows in original ARMA II Models
    • Better Artifical Inteligence
    • Shooting while dying (Presented in most of films, in game Call Of duty modern warfare...)
    • Fully working 3D Editor with it's entry in menu

[1*] More voices

What about to add more voices to game? Eg. when the enemy tank will hit the tracks then the crew will scream "Track is hit!". Or they will kill commander then - "Commander is dead!". Also I noted that there are missing voices in game. Sometimes I see only text and no voice. Also Russians can't now greet other Russians/Other people from ARMAII. Game is pretty buged since Operation Arrowhead expansion..

[2*] Bleeding & delete stupid current wound textures

Please add bleeding function and delete stupid wound textures (instead of this do a function which will do a bullet hole in body/uniform exactly when the human was shooted). I hate when they will shoot you in leg and you have blood at head. Also I hate when the tank eg. T90 will shoot abrams in the gun, it will show only small bullets all around gun (while he was shooted with big T90 gun). And I don't understrand when you will shoot car or tank with rifle it will show black holes but after seconds it disappear. Why? Or the engine is so stupid to do this thing?

[3*] Bullets repeling

Why the bullets don't repel like in real life? When you will shoot tank with rifle It will repel. Why not in ARMA? In ARMA it will just do black hole into tank which will disappear after few seconds.

[4*] Rotating hands in cars and bikes

It looks very weird when you rotate car wheel and hand is at same position. Extra awful in bikes.

[5*] More dead anims

Why the characters dying still same? They should fall in more positions. Not still fall backwards.

[6*] Minor change - upgrade shadows

Awful shadows on some people from original ARMA II (OA's people are OK). They have weird hands. Make the shadows nice in Armed Assault 1!

[7*] Make better AI

They sometimes "stuck". So I standing beside to the enemy when he lying and he just standing and looking. What about to make them more inteligent?

[8*] Shoot while dying

There's a reflex in real, when you're hit with weapon you will pull trigger and you will shoot while falling to the ground

[9*] 3D Editor entry

Make 3D editor a bit more playable and make entry in main menu for this Editor!

This game need more realism! And all of my suggestions make the game better and more realistic.

Some of the points are already introduced in ACE mod, so why not get It to original game without mods?

Edited by danny96

Certainly ....... Will be completed next week. After that we will sort world poverty and supermodels will marry all geeks.

Seeemples!

More voices

What about to add more voices to game? Eg. when the enemy tank will hit the tracks then the crew will scream "Track is hit!". Or they will kill commander then - "Commander is dead!". Also I noted that there are missing voices in game. Sometimes I see only text and no voice. Also Russians can't now greet other Russians/Other people from ARMAII. Game is pretty buged since Operation Arrowhead expansion..

More voices/emotion would be nice but all in all what we have now is fine, there are more improvements to be made that are more important than a variety of voices right now. One thing that comes to mind that I think would be neat is for the AI to actually say the names of the other AI. If you look at the statistics menu during a game and see your friendly casualties you'll see names that correspond to where they're from. Instead of hearing AI yell "Oh no, 1 is down!" in game, it would be cooler to hear "John is down!" "Steve has been hit!". Makes it slightly more believable but again that's just a nice feature to have. Maybe somewhere down the road. OA was hardly as bugged as A2 was when it was released. Lots of fixes came with OA that improved many areas of A2.

Please add bleeding function and delete stupid wound textures (instead of this do a function which will do a bullet hole in body/uniform exactly when the human was shooted). I hate when they will shoot you in leg and you have blood at head. Also I hate when the tank eg. T90 will shoot abrams in the gun, it will show only small bullets all around gun (while he was shooted with big T90 gun). And I don't understrand when you will shoot car or tank with rifle it will show black holes but after seconds it disappear. Why? Or the engine is so stupid to do this thing?

The wound textures right now are fine, same with the damage textures. It's nice to at least see bloodied bodies after a firefight, honestly how many people will really take the time to examine a body though and be bothered that much about the hit not being in the right place? As for the damage textures, they at least give the appearance that the tank was in a fight instead of making it come out all clean like nothing had happened. I'm happy with both, they get the job done for now and again like your last suggestion they'd be something nice to have but there's more important stuff being worked on. As for the bullet holes and such on tanks, they disappear because if they didn't and stayed on everything it would more than likely kill performance for everyone.

[3*] Bullets repeling

Why the bullets don't repel like in real life? When you will shoot tank with rifle It will repel. Why not in ARMA? In ARMA it will just do black hole into tank which will disappear after few seconds.

They do repel. Not always but they do, just like in real life. Not every bullet will deflect. It all depends on where it hits..angle, distance, bullet type.. Most guns don't shoot a tracer every single round either, so it's not always visible.

It looks very weird when you rotate car wheel and hand is at same position. Extra awful in bikes.

How often do you really see your hands operating either of those though? You have to be looking down. A lot of animation work would probably have to go into it to make it look realistic...and like the first two it would be nice, but ultimately there are bigger, more important things to be done.

[5*] More dead anims

Why the characters dying still same? They should fall in more positions. Not still fall backwards.

Agree with this completely however. That one thing that annoys me is killing an enemy and watching him fall over the same way as the last guy I just killed. A few more animations wouldn't hurt to make it a less common occurrence.

Awful shadows on some people from original ARMA II (OA's people are OK). They have weird hands. Make the shadows nice in Armed Assault 1!

ArmA2 units aren't the same as OA's are, I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure they were modeled differently and are nicer overall than A2's. ArmA 1 is no longer supported I think, as OA and the DLC's seem to be the main focus.

[7*] Make better AI

They sometimes "stuck". So I standing beside to the enemy when he lying and he just standing and looking. What about to make them more inteligent?

This has been worked on and fixed, evidence of it is in most of the recent beta's that have come out. You'll see it official with the release of the new patch. AI are much better, much smarter. Good things on the horizon in that area.

[8*] Shoot while dying

There's a reflex in real, when you're hit with weapon you will pull trigger and you will shoot while falling to the ground

This doesn't always happen in real life. Think about killing an enemy, how many times do you kill them while they're shooting anyways. Maybe it's just me but I usually don't score a kill until I know I'm in a safe position and they're reloading or moving and I can hit them. Rarely are they firing there weapon when I take them out. Would be a nice feature to have, I don't see it happening any time in the future though.

[9*] 3D Editor entry

Agree with this as well. Finished 3d editor would be very nice to have.

This game need more realism! And all of my suggestions make the game better and more realistic.

Some of the points are already introduced in ACE mod, so why not get It to original game without mods?

ArmA tries to balance realism and fun, and the way it is now is the best mixture. For more realism stick with the ACE mod.

Edited by stupidwhitekid75

Most of the suggestions here are aesthetic IMO, they might make the game more polished but they wouldn't necessarily improve the game or gameplay.

[1*] More voices

I don't personally think more voices or voice samples is the way to go, having a crew scream "track is hit" might make sense after a 20 second delay after the crewman has worked out what has happened, but having it as a triggered response would annoy me :)

An aesthetic consideration IMO. Because the AI do not limp and cannot otherwise convey to you the nature of their injury, from a gameplay point of view it makes sense to have a way of telling which unit is injured no matter what angle you're viewing him at. I understand how it might be annoying, but IMO we've also got to be pragmatic.

[3*] Bullets repeling

Repelling as in ricocheting? I've seen tracers ricochet, and I think it's dependent on angle of incidence.

Purely aesthetic IMO. I'm more interested in looking out the window :)

[5*] More dead anims

I can agree with this, because a dead body in ArmA2 is easy to recognise after you've played for a while as there's only a set number of dead positionings. The SLX addon suite has a nice feature where dead bodies will sometimes recover enough to give you a hard time, meaning that you're often compelled to put a few extra rounds into any body that you might see just in case :) a nice feature.

Hand shadows? Aesthetic again :)

[7*] Make better AI

Better AI is always welcome.

[8*] Shoot while dying

I haven't heard of this so I cannot really say. I expect it depends on the awareness of the unit whether he has his finger on the trigger or not.

[9*] 3D Editor entry

A fully formed 3D editor would be welcome.

It's what mods do: change the game to how you like it :)

Bullets bouncing straight back would actually be nice, as the engine currently has only ricochet.

Bullets bouncing straight back would actually be nice, as the engine currently has only ricochet.

Doesn't the engine also have some amount of area damage though? That might simulate fragmentary/bouncing effect. I seem to remember that area damage from rounds fired by the player would effect the player, and they had to be turned down/negated in that case. However I believe area damage from rounds not originated by the player still have some effect?

Bullets never bounce right back. It's a physical matter that bullets do ricochet in a at least 90 degrees angle due to the ballistic momentum.

Some interesting slomo's of bullet impacts:

QfDoQwIAaXg

I wish there is Soft Body Ragdoll Physics in the engine. There must be a way to improve all sorts of animations such as falling animation and death animation.

I wish there is Soft Body Ragdoll Physics in the engine. There must be a way to improve all sorts of animations such as falling animation and death animation.

i keep repeating myself: most of the physics engine can work just fine with almost any other game engine out there. It is just a matter of adding such an engine (havock is the most known one) to the RV engine.

Will it happen? Doubtfully (mainly because it's not commercially efficient to do it post title release due to tweaks that might be needed in the animation department)

Myke;1875684']Bullets never bounce right back. It's a physical matter that bullets do ricochet in a at least 90 degrees angle due to the ballistic momentum.

They CAN actually bounce back...

------------------------------------------------------

I wish we could have good ragdoll physics too but that will never happen tho.

At least for explosions and high caliber impacts vanishing people in clouds of red 'smoke' would be so much better than seeing them fly through the air in death pose.

Edited by EDcase

------------------------------------------------------

I wish we could have good ragdoll physics too but that will never happen tho.

At least for explosions and high caliber impacts vanishing people in clouds of red 'smoke' would be so much better than seeing them fly through the air in death pose.

I don't know by what they've got hit in these vids but surely not a backbouncing bullet.

Myke;1876408']I don't know by what they've got hit in these vids but surely not a backbouncing bullet.

For the 50 cal one, if you look at the ground in front of the guy you can see the dirt fly up from where the bullet hit, so surely it wasn't a direct bounceback. It most likely ricocheted a couple of times before returning, I would find it very hard pressed that you shot a bullet at a flat surface and had it return directly down the path that it was shot.

i keep repeating myself: most of the physics engine can work just fine with almost any other game engine out there. It is just a matter of adding such an engine (havock is the most known one) to the RV engine.

Will it happen? Doubtfully (mainly because it's not commercially efficient to do it post title release due to tweaks that might be needed in the animation department)

Dwarden already spoke about it. Anyways i also agree with you it is possible, and there is an awesome way to do it today which didn't exist in Operation Flashpoint times.

OPENCL is the answer. The power of OpenCL accelerated by GPU is what this engine needs.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1520270&postcount=11

Please Dwarden, how is this going:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1539498&postcount=65

OpenCL accelerated physics on Arma 2. That thought makes me jizz in my pants.

I would vote for improved voices. In OFP you had AI speaking coherently. The whole phrase sounded like a complete sentence. I was shoked by then, at how the developers did it. Now in Arma/2 it sounds like seperate fragments were barely glued together to form a sentence. It sounds very artifical, not natural like it was in OFP. The first time I heard it was the Arma preview. Then I thought that the game was still in development, so in final product we will get OFP quality. But alas this never happend. Now arma's AI is a different pitch of microsoft sam... They don't have spirit anymore...

Definitely dynamic voices/shouting would be really cool, like in other games. Basically a more professional, less random DSAI.

Also, a finished 3D Editor would be kickass.

I fail to see how these are major suggestions.

Apart from the 3D editor and enhanced AI maybe...

Re 3D editor, BI made it clear:

Originally, we expected to fully move to the new 3D editor but for many reasons we decided to stick with the good old 2D editor. This is something staying in our nice-to-have list.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Ask_Bohemia_about_A2OA_-_Answers#Editing

Edited by Lonestar

They can indeed. I once shot myself with a .22 round in the hand that was holding the gun.

It went downrange, bounced off the angled backstop (that was supposed to send the bullet down into a sandpit) right back at almost exactly the same path it went and struck me on the wrist that was holding the Makarov.

Yea, Havok Physics is seen in Source Engine too.

But I remembering VBS2 has made some decent physics on top of it (Yeah, I know it is not comparable because the engine is quite a big difference).

Hopefully BI is gonna do something about the physics way in the "future"

Well I actually have a lot of thoughts and suggestions but I am not a very big expert so I will put up these for a start:

- B-1 and B-2 for USAF.

- Better behavior of AI-Drivers (better avoid Trees etc.) and AI in general.

- an editor to create own figures / characters of any kind

- Camels (not the flying nor the ones to smoke)

- very high Terrain settings details possible when visibility is 10.000

- Tanks should be "heavier" in their handling they sometimes swing around like hell and shouldn't even flip over when hitting something which I don't think a 60t monster does in reality that easy.

- "whistling" sounds before impact of arty shells and maybe even more realistic explosions and smoke and damage / wrecks

- M 109 , B-52 made by BIS

Well that's it for now . let's see what u guys think and can be made technically in the first place...:wiggle:

- Tanks should be "heavier" in their handling they sometimes swing around like hell and shouldn't even flip over when hitting something which I don't think a 60t monster does in reality that easy.

You'd be surprised. ;)

- "whistling" sounds before impact of arty shells and maybe even more realistic explosions and smoke and damage / wrecks

I imagine they could be added similar to missiles. It's not impossible.

But I remembering VBS2 has made some decent physics on top of it (Yeah, I know it is not comparable because the engine is quite a big difference).

In fact there is very little difference between VBS2 engine and ArmA1 engine. Note that A2 engine is an improvement over the current VBS2 one.

Hopefully BI is gonna do something about the physics way in the "future"

I know david (Dwarden ) is big fan of bullet physics , which is a free and open solution.

I doubt it is on priority list, but you never know what BIS might come up with.

Easily the 3D editor out of all that's suggested. There are only two 'major' suggestions in that entire, long list anyway. :P

Also, I'd like people to think about a few things. A computer only has a limited amount of CPU-cycles it can perform, and especially AI is really heavy on CPU power. As is physics however. This pretty much means that we EITHER get better AI, or physics. Which one means the most for the game? I'd pick AI in a heartbeat. Actual physics would be nice, especially for eye-candy, but the actual effect on gameplay is questionable at best.

Edited by Inkompetent

I fail to see how these are major suggestions

They are not major anymore...

Well that's it for now . let's see what u guys think and can be made technically in the first place...:wiggle:

I remember the PMC Launch Trailer featured this where mortars were hitting the city with whistling sounds.

Hi, i've voted for the 3D editor; but it's a bit sad that you can only vote for 1 single thing, because i would had voted for an AI improvement, improved ArmA2 models shadows and animated arms and hands driving vehicles and manning mounted weapons too. Let's C ya