Sign in to follow this  
minimalaco

Error: Please enter no more than 50 characters ?

hi all, when I try to load some objects arrowhead in V3, I get this error.

28031510.jpg

any solution ?

hi all, when I try to load some objects arrowhead in V3, I get this error.

28031510.jpg

any solution ?

Ive been meaning to ask this question myself ... but its just something thats

not bothered me since, so id be interested in finding out how to fix this too.

love when a problem seems so complex and the answer is so simpel :)

That was actually the 30 second answer... as always - it's not entirely that simple... With Visitor, of course, theres always a "But watch out for..."

In this case it's...

But watch out for import files and things like World Tools, which will expect and need the name of the object to be the standard BIS name for the object...

I think you can get away with cropping out the path part and just leaving the name...

EG...

You install the Scots Pine tree "Pinus 2s", so it's path - and default name - is...

ca\plants2\tree\pinus_2s

If you place a bunch of these Pines in Worldtools - export the file and import in Visitor - it'll work fine... I think that if you had cropped that name part down to just "pinus_2s", Worldtools import files will still be OK - not sure about that tho...

But if you renamed it entirely in Visitor to "Scots Pine Small" then Visitor will fail on an import file asking for "Pinus_2s" - it doesn't have that object registered as far as it's concerned, and you'll get "xxx objects rejected"...

So basically be careful with that whole importing thing, also merging other projects as templates - anything where incoming data is checking that object table looking for specified names...

Of course... in the example above I could go ahead and rename the Pines anyway, and when I generate an import file (which is just a text file), I could do a simple find and replace on that text file - replacing all "Pinus 2s's" with "Scots Pine Small's" - slight hassle, but worth remembering it's possible... Similarly - with Worldtools, I could redefine my own selection of trees under the "my custom" headings, and name them both in Worldtools and in Visitor as "Scots Pine Small" - then everythings matching again and that would also work fine...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

You could always use a shorter name...

Wouldnt shortening the name thought mess with the textures etc? I thought about that, but thought its like a path to lets say a drive,

if something was like myname >> textures >> data (and I removed the my from "myname" so it was "name" then the path would be wrong)

if im not wrong and so the things inside it wouldnt work...

Funny old world, lol

Look above in the pic where I used "A Shorter Name"... See the filepath above? - it doesn't change... the "Name" part below is just the "list reference name" really, and can be anything - providing you bear in mind the potential issues with import files searching that names list.....

B

I will give here an example of the kind of error while doing import/export.

On Vostok, to build a camp template, I have used this object :

ca\structures\misc\armory\concrete_block\concrete_block.p3d

To comply with the requested "less then 50 characters", I have cropped the

path so it will show as :

ca\structures\misc\armory\concrete_\concrete_block

When I had try to import the camp template on Tigeria, I was unable to get the object on map ... and loose some more hairs after too many attempts and unable to understand until I found that , when I had build Tigeria, I have cropped path to .p3d as :

ca\structures\misc\armory\concrete\concrete_block

Once I had added the missing "_", the import works fine :cool:

on topic, is/what is the length that can be used for the real paths then?

world tools reads the configuration from internal object database. you can easily modify those object definitions (the name is up to you, the program will export the definition of it) to match your needs.

Then is useful to export your current object database to avoid overwrite when updating...

each object has a internal unique identifier, so when reimporting after reinstall you can tell the program to SKIP objects already defined or overwrite with the file...

if you OVERWRITE the new version with your object definitions previously exported you get back your original configuration before update, even in the case i've added new objects to the project.

all features like forest and import/manipulate/export works with every kind of object, existing in the internal db or custom created (if needed). If you want to have your own project with trees named "ABC" and "BCD" you can do this in forest generator by adding a CUSTOM OBJECT.

The string you set, in this case, must match the one in V3 definition...