Sign in to follow this  
abel

ARMA 2: OA beta build 78967

xenos video also shows that the prone animations are to fast for my taste, especialy movement to the side.

I confirm out of all the movement anims, this is by far the worst. When you move full speed prone, it looks rather comical, and too fast. It should be slowed down an aweful lot.

Weapon change is still too fast. M136 is to fast and Javelin is too fast. Javelin is large and awkward and heavy. This should be reduced massively.

I see the noclipping gun is still in there. Please remove this. To reitterate my post in the last beta version, and by someone in this thread previously, it kills immersion, and realism. There are simple mods out there that can change this for the client. There is no need to introduce this, especially since it makes you jump / warp through doors and also you can see through buildings if close enough to a door frame etc. It is buggish. This is a backward step.

Reload speed of AT in particular are still to fast by a massive amount. The Javelin is a large, heavy, awkward weapon, that seems to be reloaded in 2 seconds max. This really need slowing down.

As for other weapons, another 1 second wouldnt be a bad thing to reduce reload time.

Or... please just put the anims back to how they were ;)

i also dislike the noclip for guns it caused more control/movement problems than it solved: looking through walls, gun barrels clipping through walls, bugged leaning when close to walls, warping, ...

we need a petition against this feature ;)

I am getting a little worried they seem to be messing about with a lot of the core parts of ARMA that tbh I have not heard that (if any) complaints on.

I really do hope there not trying to make this simulation a little more ummmmm commercial.

It started as a simulation now they seem to be hacking at it to make it more commercial for the other side of the market.

If they do that they will loose a lot of support as we are here because its a simulation and is different from the other dive shooting bunny hopping tat.

stk, have to agree with you. Reading up on these increased speed animations and such is starting to concern me that BIS is trying to slowly change what made ArmA better than the lame military-themed games out there. Watching some videos on youtube makes me cringe, seeing people running around like they're on drugs doing hyper-fast reloading on those "other" games. I personally never felt any burden with animation speeds. If any animation changes should be done, BIS should be going after guys like Smookie and hiring them, because those are more of what I'd like to see. Not "oh noes, it takes 1 second too long to reload or pull out an AT tube off my back, the sky is falling!" ;)

Don't get me wrong, I love BIS and see that unlike other companies, they really do try keeping us happy and keep trying to fix things. But for me, ever since this whole animation-speed craze, my game gets broken and the game starts to feel like it's headed in the wrong direction. :(

Hmmmm, I agree also, as you can see from my previous posts. I find it hard to be constructive, when something I feel so strongly about, and as does the a lot of the community, from the posts i read and dare we say... "the poll". IMO there should be no altering of anims after this, or compromise, to some in between state, the only way would be to make a speed mode and none speed mode really.

But I think guys, we have to stay focused and constructively critical, rather than just focus on the moral and emotive issues. I fully support you Betsalel and stk2008, but you should reply in a way that says what you don't like and how to improve it to your likings rather than just a general rant. I hope you can see my point, as I support your view also... anyway... back a little closer to on topic...

Unsure whether my issue in dev-heaven.net is related to this, and a possible fix that may have been implemented, but I can also confirm the bug that radio channels are not working even worse in 1.58 latest beta.

My community uses the BIS radio channels only. Please fix this, otherwise it makes it extremely difficult to communicate.

issue = http://www.dev-heaven.net/issues/15886

Edited by Mr.Ben

The A.I. to player conversation system is broken.

On OA maps the A.I. does not report contacts when asked for, just "yes I saw something" the kind of contact is visible only in subtitle text.

On ArmA II maps (Utes, Chernarus) the conversation system does not work at all.

Isn't going to be fixed. BIS cut it out when OA came out due to "unforeseen issues" and haven't bothered with it since.

It doesn't work in original AA2 now either

If I use the latest beta will I still be able to play on 1.57 servers?

I noticed in the readme file that it "usually" works with 1.57, is this a big problem that a lot of you guys have noticed and not being able to play the beta with non-beta servers?

If I use the latest beta will I still be able to play on 1.57 servers?
Big NO! But it installs into a separate beta folder with its own .exe. The old shortcut will still execute 1.57

Last four betas were already 1.58 and are not backwards compatible.

Edited by Beagle

I haven't installed a beta since the faster animations came with it and neither will I install a beta or the next patch if these animations are not changed to what they were originally.

BIS please read this:

The animations are horrible! Surely you must see that you are really pissing off the community with this new 'feature'? It is a total immersion breaker, it really is.

If you think that doing this will increase your appeal then I am sorry you are totally wrong. The only thing you are doing is alienating a lot of the communities / clans etc that play the Arma series. Jesus take a look at some of the more seasoned members of the community, you will notice they aren't happy about the faster animations.

Why have you made them faster anyway? They were fine as they were. ALL players were used to their little idiosyncrasies and nobody has had any real problems with them.

I know the community I play Arma with are absolutely amazed that you are thinking about adding this in the next patch, and as far as I can tell it is already turning some players away from the game.

For the love of all things Arma please re-evaluate your decision and make the correct choice, ie do not use these faster animations, have another think.

Cheers

Dale

Hmm...amazing to see how many prefer realism over game play and usability... I agree that this isn't the best solution to the actual problems, wants and needs over both ends. But it is a tweak to improve the usability, and most likely not a permanent change until a better suited solution is acquired.

I love realism, that's why I like arma, but the old animations were absolutely abysmal I know plenty of Ranger with 15+ years in service, I promise they don't move like they have arthritis like they used to. i use True Mods to fix alot of the glaring issues with movement and water etc in this game, so I can't see these changes nor do I even care.

What I can tell you is this, usability and game play over realism, always, unless you want a game that is just way too hard to enjoy because of the over abundance of problems, the game has enough as is.

My opinion, cheers (I also have like 78 mods, I have a very, very particular style I like to play, and high realism is needed for it to be fun, but broken realism also makes it impossible! :) )

I haven't installed a beta since the faster animations came with it and neither will I install a beta or the next patch if these animations are not changed to what they were originally.

BIS please read this:

The animations are horrible! Surely you must see that you are really pissing off the community with this new 'feature'? It is a total immersion breaker, it really is.

If you think that doing this will increase your appeal then I am sorry you are totally wrong. The only thing you are doing is alienating a lot of the communities / clans etc that play the Arma series. Jesus take a look at some of the more seasoned members of the community, you will notice they aren't happy about the faster animations.

Why have you made them faster anyway? They were fine as they were. ALL players were used to their little idiosyncrasies and nobody has had any real problems with them.

I know the community I play Arma with are absolutely amazed that you are thinking about adding this in the next patch, and as far as I can tell it is already turning some players away from the game.

For the love of all things Arma please re-evaluate your decision and make the correct choice, ie do not use these faster animations, have another think.

Cheers

Dale

Perhaps if you had bothered to try any of the latest betas, you would realize that they have tweaked them considerably since 1.58RC.

Perhaps if you actually try the new animations, you would be able to see for yourself whether the original speeds were "fine" or whether they have room to improve.

This kind of post is unnecessary and unhelpful. If you do not even try the new animations, you have no right to complain about them.

Yes like other said, animations are still very bad. :-(

Big NO! But it installs into a separate beta folder with its own .exe. The old shortcut will still execute 1.57

Last four betas were already 1.58 and are not backwards compatible.

Thank you.

Can someone confirm that the vram problem is fixed with the 1.58? Cause as of right now my 5970 with its 2gb memory only uses about 350mb.

And I'm lagging like crazy, doesn't matter if I run it on very high or Low it's all the same.

Edited by TOFIR

Thank you.

Can someone confirm that the vram problem is fixed with the 1.58? Cause as of right now my 5970 with its 2gb memory only uses about 350mb.

And I'm lagging like crazy, doesn't matter if I run it on very high or Low it's all the same.

Yes, the VRAM detection is fixed.

*snip*

Cheers

Dale

If you notice, most people including those supposed veterans out there have calmed down about the animations and have started diverting attention to the real issues of the animation system.

If you notice, most people including those supposed veterans out there have calmed down about the animations and have started diverting attention to the real issues of the animation system.
Not calmed down, just refusing to repeat the same sentences in every new beta patch thread since 1.58RC. Edited by Beagle

Not calmed down, just refusing to repeat the same sentences it in every new beta patch thread since 1.58RC.

Yeah, probably this.

If there was ONE thing I could port from FPDR (hey, there's that mad emoticon again), it'd be the slower AT launcher prep times... and if they were interruptible, well, damn, I might just pass out.

Not calmed down, just refusing to repeat the same sentences it in every new beta patch thread since 1.58RC.

Yep, I appreciate what BIS are trying and if they can make movement easier without compromising the simulation we'll all enjoy an increase in player count but there's only so many times you can point out "it's too fast and it ain't realistic". Slower run is good though.

@PeterBitt

@twisted

@Mr.Ben

I'm not sure what your complaining about in Xeno's video.

Please do not quote images / videos!

Xeno

1) Is it the frozen pose in the grenade throwing animation?

If so, that is a bug that I don't see on my computer (My guy continues to walk during Xeno's characters frozen pose until the throwing)

or

2) Is it the prone movement speed?

If so, you are seeing default prone speeds that have been in A2 since the '09 release. Then are we in agreement that the default prone speeds could be improved? ;)

I highly suggest people play test with the latest beta's, since there have been changes with each new release.

Edited by W0lle

@PeterBitt

@twisted

@Mr.Ben

-snip!

If so, you are seeing default prone speeds that have been in A2 since the '09 release. Then are we in agreement that the default prone speeds could be improved? ;)

I highly suggest people play test with the latest beta's, since there have been changes with each new release.

whats the problem with reporting the animations we dislike even when its vanilla anims? i think the much discussed AT weaponswitch animation was also way too fast with 1.57, but everyone started discussing those scince 1.58rc.

to be honest i didnt notice that these are the 1.57 speeds :o because i never ever use third person and scince some betas my AI mates dont seem to be able to prone with full speed (they always use slowest prone speed for some reason, no matter how far they got behind the formation) --> did anyone else noticed this? i think there is no ticket for it yet?

Xeno's video is a compatibility issue of ACE2 with the latest beta.

Apparently it has already been fixed in ACE2.

Yet it seems some people prefer to make panic rather to provide solid feedback and facts.

Edited by .kju [PvPscene]

While others are all together too interested in commenting on the posts of others. Everyone gets to have their say, BIS are quite capable of evaluating the feedback for themselves.

Xeno's video is a compatibility issue of ACE2 with the latest beta.

No. The video was made with vanilla OA and the latest beta patch. No other mods/addons used. Not related to ACE at all (the problem with ACE was prone and kneel reloading of machine guns).

You just have to continue walking slowly (SHIFT-W) and hold the left mouse button/fire button. The character slides on the ground without playing any other animation until the grenade throw actually happens.

The obscure weapon swing that you can see when crawling (later in the video) is now in the game since August or September last year. When will an issue like this get fixed again ?

Xeno

Edited by Xeno

Works fine here.

1.58 RC + beta 78967

8clvoqIQkaU

PS: Yes the anim issue while crawling hopefully gets fixed at some point too:

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/16133

Edited by .kju [PvPscene]

@PeterBitt

@twisted

@Mr.Ben

I'm not sure what your complaining about in Xeno's video.

1) Is it the frozen pose in the grenade throwing animation?

If so, that is a bug that I don't see on my computer (My guy continues to walk during Xeno's characters frozen pose until the throwing)

or

Maybe Xeno just forget about small addon from devs-heaven, wich "fix" grenade bug in previos versions? :) I used this addon too and when i removed it - all become fine :)

I used CO 1.57 + beta 78967. All fine.

Edited by DAP