Sign in to follow this  
-martin-

Zil - Screwdrive released!

Now, I'm insulted... 3 pages of comments and none referring to me (except, of course, the original post).

Now, I'm insulted... 3 pages of comments and none referring to me (except, of course, the original post).

How rude!!

Congratz mate!!

Yeah, i couldn't do it without Richard, he did all the animating and config work, 50% of the work on this addon :ok:

also i think it would destroy streets

Have you tried it out?

It might not only destroy streets, my ears are still bleeding....

For a mo there I had a flashback to the old novelty addons of operation flashpoint which pulled apart the slightly odder parts of military research and gave us some truly funky addons -bravo

+1

This addon had me start up arma just to mess around with it, haven´t done that for a while. Great thumbs up for waking up the OFP dude in me a bit :)

sidenotes:

-love the way it swims! feature? :D

-with the go left & right functionality, is it supposed to rotate the vehicle around each time you use it? (basically leaving the driver disorientated each time)

-lots of .rpt errors, 6mb/2minutes

class HitPoints::HitEngine not found in Zil_screwdrive_troop

Error in expression < (getFuel _car) <= 0.15>

Error position: <getFuel _car) <= 0.15>

Error Undefined variable in expression: getfuel

^^ all this running my usual setup with cba and bells & whistles, A2OA latest version non beta/RC.

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

Thank you :)

Sorry, but i assumed it would not perform much better than tracked vehicles, also i think it would destroy streets, therefore imho, it isn't a practical design, but great props to you for making it, the commanding vehicles inside is just amazing :eek:

Well there aren't many streets in Siberia, and for the ones that are I think this vehicle would still come in handy :biggrin: As for destroying streets I don't think it would destroy them, scratch maybe but the screws are hollow, this vehicles is much lighter then a tank, but this vehicle isn't meant to be used on streets anyway so it doesn't really matter. I'm glad that you like the HQ, Richard put lots of work in to animating that particular version.

Come to think of this concept could be used for robots on other planets.

-love the way it swims! feature? :D
Nah, we couldn't find a way to make it stop sinking :biggrin: Maybe you know how? In the mean time the crew has to wear driver suits
-with the go left & right functionality, is it supposed to rotate the vehicle around each time you use it? (basically leaving the driver disorientated each time)

-lots of .rpt errors, 6mb/2minutes

class HitPoints::HitEngine not found in Zil_screwdrive_troop

Error in expression < (getFuel _car) <= 0.15>

Error position: <getFuel _car) <= 0.15>

Error Undefined variable in expression: getfuel

Where did you get these errors? Are you running stand alone Arrowhead?

Nah, we couldn't find a way to make it stop sinking :biggrin: Maybe you know how? In the mean time the crew has to wear driver suits

Not a modeler myself, totally clueless about ways of fixing this.

No biggie though, i just selected "turn on wipers" and laughed my ass off :p

How i found them errors is already explained to Richard. Basically you guys seem to be missing out on the news that BI disabled error output in vanilla game, you need to re-enable it via startup paramter (-showscripterrors), or look them up in the arma2oa.rpt file.

And noo, i´m not using OA only (never will) as already stated in previous post. It´s A2OA :)

How i found them errors is already explained to Richard. Basically you guys seem to be missing out on the news that BI disabled error output in vanilla game, you need to re-enable it via startup paramter (-showscripterrors), or look them up in the arma2oa.rpt file.

And noo, i´m not using OA only (never will) as already stated in previous post. It´s A2OA :)

I had no idea about that, but thanks for bringing this up, we will definitely keep an eye on this in our future addons. :ok:

Love this thing. Was it hard doing the radar dish animation stuff and if possible can you show me how to do it for a news van I am working on?

Can't wait to see what you turn out next.

Awesome addon, i love it. Very unique :)

This thing wouldn't look out of place under Thunderbird 2, good job!

Love this thing. Was it hard doing the radar dish animation stuff and if possible can you show me how to do it for a news van I am working on?

Can't wait to see what you turn out next.

What you basically have to do is make the radars on the roof spin around a axis defined in the memory point lod by using "source = time;" in the model cfg, like this:

class radar
  {
   type="rotation";		
   source="time";		
   selection="radar";		
   axis="osa_radar";		
   animPeriod = 0;		
   minValue = 0;		
   maxValue = 1;		
   sourceAddress = loop;	
   angle0 = "rad 0";		
   angle1 = "rad 360";		
   memory = 1;	
  };

Then you make a plane with the radar texture, make axis in the centre of it and animate it exactly the same way like you animated the radar, just change selections.

The principle of how it works is like this:

4rattd4p5hd0h8oogk2.jpg

If you don't understand how to make it work, send the addon to me and I'll have a look at it :smile:

all we need is some tanks with this now nice work man i love it

I think that a tank would be too heavy for this, remember this has to drive on deep mud and snow, but maybe I'm wrong pardon.gif

I think that a tank would be too heavy for this, remember this has to drive on deep mud and snow, but maybe I'm wrong pardon.gif

Maybe it if it was combo screw-vehicle, hovercraft!

shagohod.jpg

This isn't an addon request, I'm just talking about another (fictional) screwdrive vehicle in a videogame.

That's awesome, I guess someone else also knows about the Zil-screwdrive, because there is a Russian star on this :biggrin: But I may actually make a Soviet hovercraft some times in the future.

pic

This isn't an addon request, I'm just talking about another (fictional) screwdrive vehicle in a videogame.

SHAGOHOD! Hehe... would be neat. (Damn it Darkhorse :P Beat me to it. I wanted to teach! (Loves the MGS and Metal Gear Series)

But on topic. The screw drive is a neat thing :D Haha.

If only we could get our own Shagohod! Hehe... mobile Nuke Platform... would be epic >_> But thats just dreams XD

But yeah! :D this thing is fun.

I get the feeling using this on tarmac would damage the screws over time.

Edited by Daniel

Wow, well, that was, refreshing :) Nice stuff. What's the downside? Why are they not more widely used?

It seems like they would be quite inefficient for anything but snow, and also quite slow.

Wow, well, that was, refreshing Nice stuff. What's the downside? Why are they not more widely used?

The reason that the Soviet Union didn't implement these vehicles in to service is probably because of economic problems that it faced in the period when they were being developed, so the plans were probably put on hold or scrapped like many other projects or because some officials decided that a different approach is cheaper, this happened with the American Weasel which was originally meant to be a screw propelled vehicle but ended up with tracks. Of course then the Soviet Union collapsed and the government had different worries like splitting up holiday mansions in the Crimea between them selves and selling factories to their friends in the West, so this project was forgotten about.

Here is a site with other types of screw vehicles:

http://johnnypayphone.blogspot.com/2011/02/editors-note-when-blogger-stopped.html

The reason that screw drive vehicles aren't being developed any more is probably because they have been forgotten by the world due to technical barriers of their day, but maybe today the advances which we have made in technology could bring these vehicles back.

It seems like they would be quite inefficient for anything but snow, and also quite slow.

I wouldn't be so sure about that, these vehicles aren't only designed for snow but for use on deep mud too.

msa2.jpg