Sign in to follow this  
andrea0373

F/A-18 Super Hornet

Myke;1926117']The pro's will be (if the plane is set up properly for this system) that it takes measurements and weights into account aswell as nationality of plane and weapons. Also it allows also loading equipment like a AN/AAQ28 (which is in the Missilebox addon) or external fuel tanks. I have to admit that these will just be optical goodies with no real functionality but i do hope that maybe the game engine could be patched by BIS to allow real functionality for this.

Besides that' date=' it will allow to load multirail systems (if the plane can carry such).

A very basic "proof of concept" you can see here:

What you see there is completely realised with ammo, magazines and weapons, using scripts which only uses removeWeapon/removeMagazine and addWeapon/addMagazine commands. There are no hide animations or such used. Whatever changes is defined as ammo/magazine.

This also works with FFAR launchers:

The system will be defined in a config using scripts to create a proper dialog and also applying magazines/weapons in the correct order. I know it does work, it just takes a lot of time to develop correct definitions and procedures which is really timeconsuming, especially for someone like me who isn't a programming god like others out there. So it takes me a lot of time to learn things before i can productively use it for this system. So it's not a question if it will be done, just a matter of when.[/quote']

Me likey.... :dancered::clap::icon_eek::627::jump_clap:

For what it's worth:

The thing about a lot of aircraft armaments is that the public world doesn't get access to classified descriptions regarding what can be carried, where it can be carried, how many can be carried, and what is actually carried. For example, the US Air Force, Marines, and Navy do not use the LAU-88 triple AGM-65 launchers much any more due to excessive drag. This is why on pictures of F/A-18's of all types you only see the LAU-117 rail if it has Mavericks. The F/A-18E/F may not even be qualified for the LAU-88 either (off the top of my head, the qual'd platforms are A-7, F-16, A-10). Some weapons like the Mk20 dispensers are not popular anymore due to concerns about cluster munitions. Others like LAU-68 rocket pods were never qualified and are out of place for some platforms (the Super Bug for example is used predominantly as a striker rather than a CAS aircraft).

Given these parameters, that's why the old system stuck around for so long. You can't take an Super 530 out of a French munitions stockpile and stick it onto a F/A-18; the fire control system has to be able to interface with it, the load has to be tested (or you might blow yourself up because a fin clipped a data sensor), etc. So given the limitations it made more sense to make the common stuff and typical combinations rather than go absolutely freestyle.

The reason why you typically see single mounts and a couple of fuel tanks rather than loaded to the brim is because weapons are heavy and a real drag! :D

Does it say anywhere in the rules about Really bad jokes Franze....?

:)

Will this be equipped with the LITENING Pod?

If you use MMA with the F/A-18 it has a camera targeting system, but a visual targeting system is not on the F/A-18 at the moment. I am looking into adding something though.. I just havent gotten there yet.

If you use MMA with the F/A-18 it has a camera targeting system, but a visual targeting system is not on the F/A-18 at the moment. I am looking into adding something though.. I just havent gotten there yet.

Got'cha, well what about at least a model of it on the plane?:dancehead: I know LITENING Pods on the Fast Movers where used quite extensively on my last deployment.

Either way its shaping up great man!

Will this be equipped with the LITENING Pod?

ATFLIR is the predominant targeting system used by F/A-18E/F. I don't recall ever seeing a Super Bug with the LITENING pod given that the ATFLIR is earmarked for it; on the other hand, you'll see them all the time on legacy Hornets. ATFLIR is supposed to work on both the legacy and the Super so it probably comes down to which station you want to give up and what you want for your field of view.

ATFLIR is the predominant targeting system used by F/A-18E/F. I don't recall ever seeing a Super Bug with the LITENING pod given that the ATFLIR is earmarked for it; on the other hand, you'll see them all the time on legacy Hornets. ATFLIR is supposed to work on both the legacy and the Super so it probably comes down to which station you want to give up and what you want for your field of view.

Not sure about the proper load out on Aircraft as I'm just a "Ground Pounder" and I'm sure I'll loose this argument. :D But I DO know we had F/A-18's with LITENING Pods on them, and yes they where USMC birds. We used them on our Route Clearance missions outside Fallujah.

Got'cha, well what about at least a model of it on the plane?:dancehead: I know LITENING Pods on the Fast Movers where used quite extensively on my last deployment.

Either way its shaping up great man!

I have been wanting to add this:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1861879&postcount=8

It looks as if someone named Rezoo is writing a script for it, but it has not been released yet. I will look at adding this into the F/A-18.

I know the F-18 use LITENING pod....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LITENING_targeting_pod

I believe the ATFLIR replaced the LITENING... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATFLIR

Anyway, the point is adding sometype of targeting system model at least to the F/A-18. Yes, the decision now is what station will be given up...

and yes they where USMC birds.

There you have your answer - the Corps does not operate Super Bugs.

Many of you are aware of the fact that the USMC does not fly F/A-18E/F variants. This is a well known fact, but once again this is a game and there is a certain "fantasy" aspect to it. I love realism and try to stay as close to real as possible. The fact is the Marine Corps takes pride in making much out of little... I am meaning the Marines are the lowest funded part of US armed forces, however they produce the greatest results (remember I am a Marine, so I am a little bias ;). So they probably are not really flying Super Hornets because of funding.

Anyway, in the 'ArmAverse", due to the War on Terror, the Marines have done some upgrading to their F-18's and this will start with VMFA (AW)533, by transitioning from the F/A-18D to the F/A-18F. So, there you have it.. the Marines are now flying the F/A-18F Super Hornet....

Moving on now... the actual targeting pod for the F/A-18F is the AN/ASQ-228 ATFLIR, but since I am no modeler, the only model I can find is the AN/AAQ-28(V) LITENING targeting pod (thanks to [GLT]Myke). So I added it as a weapon/magazine and you can place it on the F/A-18F using one of the weapon stations. This is not a working model at the moment, however I believe Rezoo is making a script for it

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=117394

Here are some pics:

arma2OA2011-05-1908-01-55-19.png

arma2OA2011-05-1908-02-00-51.png

arma2OA2011-05-1908-02-10-22.png

arma2OA2011-05-1908-02-28-11.png

Edited by Meatball0311

I know the F-18 use LITENING pod....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LITENING_targeting_pod

I believe the ATFLIR replaced the LITENING... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATFLIR

Anyway, the point is adding sometype of targeting system model at least to the F/A-18. Yes, the decision now is what station will be given up...

ATFLIR replaced the earlier Nitehawk combo pods of FLIR/LD and LST. LITENING was used on the F-14 Bombcats and as you've noticed, Marine aircraft. I'd call the ATFLIR system predominantly Navy with the LITENING predominantly Marine.

The reason why the USMC hasn't picked up any Super Bugs is that they fear any acquisition of the Super will mean less F-35s in the future. I believe they want to replace their mixed wing of Hornets and Harriers with a pure F-35 force.

ATFLIR replaced the earlier Nitehawk combo pods of FLIR/LD and LST. LITENING was used on the F-14 Bombcats and as you've noticed, Marine aircraft. I'd call the ATFLIR system predominantly Navy with the LITENING predominantly Marine.

The reason why the USMC hasn't picked up any Super Bugs is that they fear any acquisition of the Super will mean less F-35s in the future. I believe they want to replace their mixed wing of Hornets and Harriers with a pure F-35 force.

That is true.. damn F-35.. ;)

My understanding of these pods was that they take the place of one of the AMRAAM slots to allow for an external fuel tank.

0003_135ls.jpg

I don't want to be a killjoy, but that placement just looks a bit wrong to me (not saying they CAN'T, its just not the norm)

Keep up the good work.

My understanding of these pods was that they take the place of one of the AMRAAM slots to allow for an external fuel tank.

I don't want to be a killjoy, but that placement just looks a bit wrong to me (not saying they CAN'T, its just not the norm)

Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the suggestion... the nice thing is that you can assign the targeting pod to whatever station you would like. In the picture, the pod is on the lower left fuselage station.. in other pictures it is in the center (where that external tank is).

Two things to remember -

1. At the moment the external tanks have no purpose except for cosmetic reasons.

2. The LITENING targeting pod is also none operational and is for cosmetic purposes also. (Rezoo I believe may be putting something together to make it operational.)

In the future I hope that these will be functional and can serve purposes other than looks.

UPDATE:

I am working on this one thing that is taking a few days to complete... I will post some screenshots when I am done.

is this F/A-18 your working on going to be the Super hornet or just the normal hornet?

is this F/A-18 your working on going to be the Super hornet or just the normal hornet?
FPDR

Thread title man. :D

not only that but try reading 35 pages ;) it has been said like a thousand times before :p

Bug, Super Bug, Rhino, legacy Hornet, Super Hornet, Super Airbrake... Pfft, who cares. :p