smookie

PvP Animation replacement/enhancement pack

Doesn't seem to be compatible with Copy My Stance addon as when you start getting flashy with blind fire moves the AI will go into the Sniper's Sit and stay there :D

@ Smookie: Nice work

can you add climbing walls in your next update :p ?

@Smookie, I'll try and get started on the PS work you need..I'll PM you in case I am able to dedicate some spare time to it ;)

Out of curiosity (since I don't know the engine limitations to the following):

would it be possible for the soldier to lower his weapon when directly facing a wall or when the muzzle is detected in collision with a wall?

Thanks,

Edited by Reezo
Question 2 did not make sense after update3

the AI get stuck in the snipers crouch position(from this mod), if you leave them on "stay crouched" command(command menu) for more than 30 seconds

Feedback #3:

It would be awesome if the weapon raise/lower possibility that is available during medium-speed jog would be available for slow-walk too. This way it would be much easier to quickly lower the weapon when walls and obstacles limit your movement because of your muzzle lenght etc. (not to use when clearing rooms lol).

So many issues :)

I will respond to a few:

1) Climbing over walls - I am working on this, however, it will most likely not be included in the CGA (can't tell more :))

2)

would it be possible for the soldier to lower his weapon when directly facing a wall or when the muzzle is detected in collision with a wall?

I would love that but it's an engine limitation I believe. Or it would require a bit of scripting, which I am not up for.

3)

Feedback #3:

It would be awesome if the weapon raise/lower possibility that is available during medium-speed jog would be available for slow-walk too. This way it would be much easier to quickly lower the weapon when walls and obstacles limit your movement because of your muzzle lenght etc. (not to use when clearing rooms lol).

Will be added in the next release most likely.

4) Sniper sit will be remapped to a new key, I am afraid however, it will have to be toggle raise weapon key not to use too much of all the others. If this is no go for you, I might replace it with salute key.

Expect some new rolling nade animations in the next release, which however will not happen until the end of April due to holidays and shitloads of other work I have.

Lol and you call them issues, get lost ;)

Excellent work and exciting news.

About the "lower weapon when facing a wall" I can script it but it will need to use your custom animations, for one simple reason: your mod is the only way at the moment to raise/lower a soldier's weapon without halting the model.

If I script it with BIS default lower/raise behaviour, it will be painful because your character will literally stop to lower his weapon. This is dangerous, stupid, annoying etc. etc. or anything in between. What you've done in the medium-speed jog (transparent raise/lower) is the turning point of the workaround.

Dragon kick! Thanks again for the free-n-good mod, Smookie.

I' m sorry if what i' m going to say is complete nonsence, since i really know almost nothing about modding, but since one of the beta patches, (not one of the lasts, it' s from atleast 6 months ago) the character actually does something when a wall is too close to his weapon. He doesn' t lower it, but rather raise it slightly and bring it a bit closer to his body. I' f im not mistaken the anim is only visible in first person view.

Since something like that exists, i assume that there must be a way to actually make the game play Smookie's gun lowering animation instead of BIS' s gun raising anim when the game detects a wall blocking the weapon/character?

Just checked this out and it is awsome, right now I think the number of added features is just about right,(for me) much more and I'll have trouble getting my head and fingers around each other without loads of practice. One thing I will note however is, one of the great appeals of this mod is that it doesn't really break any of the standard modes and you can simply use more of the features as you get used to them without having to rethink the way you move. So with this in mind I was wondering if you could avoid over riding the peripheral animations like sit and salute, as I noticed sit now defaults to urban prone, I was hoping you could change it to turbo+sit? It's a small thing I know as sit and salute seem to be kind of useless but I have noticed they are used quite a bit in MP buy people fooling about while waiting for stuff. And it would be nice to maintain some of the sillly bits.

---------- Post added at 08:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 AM ----------

Since something like that exists, i assume that there must be a way to actually make the game play Smookie's gun lowering animation instead of BIS' s gun raising anim when the game detects a wall blocking the weapon/character?

I dont think that game actualy detects the wall blocking the weapon it only sees two objects colide

Besides, AI in "dismiss" waypoints go into urban prone instead of sitting :)

You' re probably right, as i' ve said i really don' t know alot about modding^^.

There is no such hardcoded key combination as Turbo + sit, and that's the reason it has been done the way it is.

is there a possibility that you can turn some animations off from the serverside?

EG i dont want the cornershot the server sais then NO and you cant use them :-)

I' m sorry if what i' m going to say is complete nonsence, since i really know almost nothing about modding, but since one of the beta patches, (not one of the lasts, it' s from atleast 6 months ago) the character actually does something when a wall is too close to his weapon. He doesn' t lower it, but rather raise it slightly and bring it a bit closer to his body. I' f im not mistaken the anim is only visible in first person view.

Yes this at least is something that brings some light of hope into the matter, as well.

One suggestion, can you make some individual reloading animations which is based on different firearm the player/AI using? Like having AK type weapon will reloading in pull out/pull in style, or L85A2 reloading in bullpup method. It would be nice if you can make some of those for a bit realistic.

Hi Smookie.

So far, I love your mod very much, keep up the good work!

There's one thing I've noticed after a couple of uses though about the jog animation.

The change of animation while jogging is nice until I started to feel awkward holding the rifle up ALL the time.

If I were holding the rifle up while jogging irl, I would be doing it purposefully and only when I need to do so. Meaning rather than playing the "holding the weapon up while jogging" animation by only pressing Forward key, it would feel much natural to have the animation mapped to Shift + Forward. While "aim-while-walk" animation should be played only when looking down sight and/or pressing shift while so.

Just a bit of thought I wanted to share about.

Cheers.

In case of emergency though it is better to have the "weapon up" jog more accecible. If you really need to run fast and it's an emergency, use sprint. IMO at least.

Exactly. The "medium jog with weapon lowered" (different from the usual A2 jog) is fast enough for most "aware" maneuvers with no danger close but high risk possibility.

don't take me for a vet, just thinking gamingly-wise (lol!)

I'm with Total, all other rationales aside it is AFAIK the one thing that changes default behaviours (rather than just adding new possibilities) and represents a not inconsiderable barrier to adoption.

Now Smookie obviously has his own stated reasons for making this mod and I'm sure they don't include worrying about whether myself or the people I play with use it (and fair enough) but I think it could become a lot more widespread if some other way around this exception were found. That done I could say to everybody in my group "add this addon and if you want to find out how to use it fully go read this" and those that for whatever reason can't be bothered or only want to change their binds enough to use certain parts won't hold back everyone else. However as-is you really have to know how it all works and re-jig your binds to suit right from install because you'll be immediately confronted by this fundamental change to movement. Seems a shame when all it would take to obviate this is some re-jig so Run is default again and Trot (weapon ready) is another option.

Hey Smook. First off, awesome mod.

But I'm having some potential game breaking issues...

Are you going to re-implement/fix:

Strafing/leaning while pistol is out

Leaning while weapon is lowered

Compatability with st_collision

The strafing with pistol out is really important because if I switch to pistol in a jam then I need to take cover asap via strafing I'm essentially screwed and I have to turn manually. Losing lean doesn't make any sense. If you don't want to do this for whatever reason any chance of a .pbo without the pistol changes? Leaning with pistol is pretty important to me and with your mod it's disabled in all modes. Even "normal" pistol mode.

Lastly, st_collision, found here: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=12540 is much needed. I understand that you have in your mod the ability to lower your weapon to go through doorways but it's not 100% and I can't even strafe through a door with my pistol out, which I would be able to do IRL. st_collision took a lot of grief away from those issues and this mod seems to bring a lot of them back.

The only reason I'm asking all this stuff is because I REALLY like the features of this mod and want to use it. The fast combat stride from your mod combined with st_collision would more or less be the ideal CQB setup for ArmA.

Edited by MacScottie

There will be some fixes to pistol related animations in the next release. I might also work on new geometry lods but this is something I can't promise. Let's say my anims got quite a lot of attention and I am working on two fronts now :) Therefore the time I have for working on this is limited.

@MacScottie: I've tried Smookie's mod with and without st_collision and I found it to be compatible.

---------- Post added at 08:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 AM ----------

Smookie I agree with the compatibility features in keys mapping. I am not only chiming in the discussion, we have an entire clan evaluating the possibility of going one step further and improve our gaming experience with this mod, so we are considering every angle on this.

I would say the mod is already 50% transparent on the Vanilla user, meaning it is not that your character will behave erratically when used to the normal ArmA infantry movements. It could be improved by doing as Defunkt said, meaning default mapping in this mod will have the same mapping as ArmA 2 default.

I am willing to work on a userconfig-based file that will allow users to customize their key bindings, if they want. But the fact that this mod default will default on Vanilla's for the "usual" key mappings will definitely be of great help.

So I second that. Once again, take these as personal opinions, indeed they are. I very well know how easy it is to point my finger and say a lot of things, while the developer actually HAS to do the real work. So hats off :)

Sorry to add to clamour of requests and such Smookie, proves your on to something good here.

Have you considered releasing this in two flavours, a full blown version for PvP, and a lite version that doesn't override the default anims for sp and coop? This stuff is worth it just for the run, blind fire and vault alone.

Cheers.

PS.Re TOTAL22, Defunkt and Rezzo and the run anim. Personaly I found the run changes reasonably subtle and easy to get used to and wouldn't put it on the top of priorities but I do agree in principle with what they say , I think I prety much said it in my previous post, but the more this 'adds' and the less it 'overrides' the easier it is to accept. Dont know if these concepts are connected with the AI behavior. But the AI behavior should be priority right now. Unfortunately pure PvP and ArmA are not synonomous, in fact pure PvP is ridiculously scarce, so at the end of the day if it breaks the AI few poeple will bother to use it and that would be a great shame.....Good luck

Edited by Pathetic_Berserker

Quick video showing just the bread and butter of what react to contact becomes with this mod.

rvHzLFapg6k

Brought to you by SR5 Tactical - www.sr5tactical.net

"An example of what is possible with just the basic movement mechanics improvements. I haven't done any fancy stuff in this video just to show the difference between default and modded infantry movement dynamics.

Every ArmA player can watch the video, remember his past and current react to contact situations and make up his mind:

is this less realistic, arcade-style?

is this more realistic, less choppy, more fluid combat-style?

does this fix the general arma-animations choppiness that makes infantry realism a gay idea in this game?

does this get the simulator closer to how real soldiers would react?

Some people think that ArmA is a great simulator but its general animation sloppiness makes it work for over-50 only. In real life you would never run, stop, think "I am getting shot at" and calmly crouch. In real life you would be doing things so fast your brain is not even able to think about them.

Some people think ArmA animations and dynamics are great as they are. Some believe it is actually the way it should be in other FPS as well.

Well, this video aims to give you more elements to make your decision."