smookie

PvP Animation replacement/enhancement pack

Excellent, running the calibration mission as we speak-or write :)

Note: The mod does not seem to work with Beta Patches

Thank for your sexy voice, but the mod is more sexy, sorry :)

Edited by Reezo

Excellent build.

Now, for the hassling, witty, smarta$$ part, the minor cosmetic quirks:

- Lower your weapon then raise it again: there is a quick "animation skip" problem in the exact moment the weapon is 99% in ready position

- Sliding back to the wall can put the soldier "inside the wall" when going too much "backwards to the wall"

- I find myself accidentally using the "greande throw" when facing a wall, maybe I'd prefer something like..dunno, another shortcut but this is VERY personal so don't quote me on this

- Climbing over "thin air" is a bit weird but I guess this is not fixable..there is no way to understand if a wall or solid surface is "in front of you"..Air guitar for the win.

If you take the above as I just want to pi$$ you off, you're wrong :) I am loving your work, thanks man ;)

Edited by Reezo

- Lower your weapon then raise it again: there is a quick "animation skip" problem in the exact moment the weapon is 99% in ready position

I don't think i understand the problem there. There isn't any transition animation between these stances, game engine does it.

- Sliding back to the wall can put the soldier "inside the wall" when going too much "backwards to the wall"

Added to the to-do list. It requires simple modification of collisionshape.

- I find myself accidentally using the "greande throw" when facing a wall, maybe I'd prefer something like..dunno, another shortcut but this is VERY personal so don't quote me on this

I will quote you :) In fact I get the same impression now that I played this extensively. I will probably find a replacement for that key, perhaps sitdown button and assign salute so that it will take you back to kneel.

- Climbing over "thin air" is a bit weird but I guess this is not fixable..there is no way to understand if a wall or solid surface is "in front of you"..Air guitar for the win.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/cursorTarget all yours ;) Now you only have to create a database of all climb-able walls and you are good :bounce3:

1) Here is what I mean:

jfBFC5l1gq8

2) I can make the list in array format but:

a. CursorTarget follows your gun, probably better to use screenToWorld [sCREENCENTER_X,SCREENCENTER_Y] for example..it triggers when you try to climb a wall, checks for what is in front of you, plus the distance from you and that, if positive it plays the animation..

I obviously mixed up the files... The download is temporairly down. For those of you who have already downloaded, please do not redistribute that version. Thank you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Above - I will try to fix it if I get hands on BI original animation.

None of the links work for 0.20

The installer is not compatible with OS or incomplete.

EDIT: Just saw whats above.

I obviously mixed up the files... The download is temporairly down. For those of you who have already downloaded, please do not redistribute that version. Thank you.

---

@Above - I will try to fix it if I get hands on BI original animation.

Roger that.

Download links up and running again :)

Download links up and running again :)

Has anything changed since the previous zip/exe files? Anything we need to know? :)

There were some old unused files which are not included in the config as well as some of the old animations which should be replaced by new files. :) The difference is nearly none though (only visual so to say)

There were some old unused files which are not included in the config as well as some of the old animations which should be replaced by new files. :) The difference is nearly none though (only visual so to say)

Awesome. If you need the arrays for mid- and full-sized walls that can be climbed let me know (CO-compatible, I guess).

Additional feedback:

- In urban prone: when doing it on your left side, the ironsight aim is correct, when doing it on the right side, the ironsight axis is slightly off and the aim is off. I don't think this was supposed to be like this.

Edited by Reezo

just had to post to say what a great mod this is

thankyou so much triple thumbs up!

AI teammates still go into sniper sit once they stop moving and crouch. they wont rejoin or do anything once theyve entered the sniper sit :(

Great work Smookie, but I got a question and a request.

Is it possible to turn around while in the animation "back to wall". Because in your calibration mission I could just look to the front end of the wreck (left hand side of the soldier) but I did not find a possibility to turn around.

Am I just to stupid to find this function or is there no function for this.

And my request, please make the sliding animation q little bit longer. As already said in this topic, the sliding animation is way to short. It would be great if the soldier would slide 2-3 meters and then come to a kneeling position.

And your voice was so sexy, I just can't get enough of it :P

It would be great if the soldier would slide 2-3 meters...

Thats a pretty long slide :rolleyes:

Hey Smook. I have a question about your pistol animation. Why does the animation have the support hand cupping the main hand instead of properly supporting it? The default ArmA 2 grip is pretty good for the pistol(except that the grip is too far down). The cup grip offers a lot less stability while shooting than the support hand over the main hand grip.

At 1:05 in this video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4584332856867071363#

he talks about support hand placement. This is what I was taught in police academy in 2003 and it's what I teach now as a marksmanship instructor trained by the US Army.

You can see the SAS guys in this video using a similar grip:

And again here(I think this is by far the best video. This is pretty much how I teach it, he even mentions teacupping and wrist gripping at the end. I like this guy. :p):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm9uG5bPubw

Edited by MacScottie

@MacScottie

Dude, I beg you. With all due respect to your training and wicked fascination with "realism units" - It's a video game... Don't forget that!

@JoeJoe

About the slide - if you show me a video you can slide 3 meters on grass/sand - i will change the anim :) The first one I made let you slide for about 2,5 m and my beta testers were complaining it was feeling unnatural. As I already mentioned, i tried it a lot of times on different surfaces and can send you link to video of me trying to do this in 12 kg ciras (truspec pants) and m4a1 ris without attachments - i couldn't slide more than that on grass or asphalt.

And yes, you are stupid, lol. When in back to wall, use forward to aim round the corner or backwards to aim over your hear

Edited by Smookie

i find a tiny bug..

-go to back to wall

-look threw your weapon optics

===> you zoom to your chest and can look a littlebit around the corner

-go to back to wall

-peek around the corner

-release only your turbo key

===> it result in a animationjump to shooting around the corner

but from shooting to peeking the full animation is displayed

and can you fix this in your manuals:

launcher standing:

- launcher crouching: MTB + Backwards

launcher crouching:

- launcher prone: MTB + Backwards

so this was the last edit :,-D

Edited by SaltatorMortis
additional

Love the..

• TacticalJog
  • Faster hop over fence and even climbing over a wall
  • Faster grenade throwing
  • The added function of 4 speed modes. (Been wanting this for a very long time, albeit with a more fluid control like SC's & H&D's mouse wheel control) :)

My testing feedback..

1) Less short high stepping in (TacticalJog+SlowWalk+CrouchWalk) by shrinking down the stance a little more and making longer leg strides.

If you use the "Magpul Dynamics Live Fire Drill" video as an example for "TacticalJog" (
I think you said you already are
), you'll notice that he's hunched over/leaning forward and that his legs are close to full extension further in front of him rather then a bent leg closer to his body.

This "shrunken down" position allows him glide forward and maintain a stable aiming base by keeping his hips/torso/shoulders leveled.

Something closer to that would be badass.

Here's a reference pack I put together if you want it.

File size: 2.1 MB

It contains..

• 1 comparison pic with the above suggestion visualized.

• 14 frames of the magpul video "TacticalJog" (1 loop using fraps).

• 17 frames of your "TacticalJog" animation ingame (1 loop using fraps).

2)

a)
Reduce or Remove Zaxis gun movement

b)
Try
to make Xaxis & Zaxis gun movement more
consistent
across shooting movements (TacticalJog+SlowWalk+CrouchWalk).

One thing that I was hoping for was consistency in gun movement when moving.

Normal BIS anims have this problem, where your gun moves all types of weird ways for each different direction you move (Very annoying both in&out of optic view - abruptly moves left/right(Xaxis) & up/down(Zaxis) at very different intervals.

Even more annoying is how the gun comes back at you on the (Yaxis) like it's going to poke you in the eye rather then keeping the same distance away from your eyes as it probably should be with having the gun butt locked in place in your shoulder.

Let recoil handle the (Yaxis) gun movement.

3) Different & faster "FastCrawl".

I guess similar to SaltatorMortis's suggestion, except...faster of course ;)

I did a couple quick searches on youtube and this was the best one I could find (
).

If not something like this, I would like to see something similar to OFP's fast crawl. While it's probably very unrealistic, it was a great ability to have and improved gameplay imo.

4) Add a "FastCrouchWalk/TacticalCrouchJog".

We have 4 speed modes for standing, so it makes sense to have 4 for the crouched position.

When you are TacticalJogging, you expect to just lower your stance when switching to the crouched position, but still have your gun up ready to shoot.

If you want to do the normal CrouchJog, just tap crouch again like you have for 3rd Standing mode (Jog).

SlowStandWalk > TacticalJog > StandJog > StandSprint

SlowCrouchWalk > TacticalCrouchJog > CrouchJog > StandSprint

SlowCrouchWalk & TacticalCrouchJog could be the same animations (or one could remain default BIS anim), just at different speeds if it's too much extra work to do.

5) Tuck in right arm elbow.

I second Militantsausage's suggestion from further back - to tuck in the right elbow, but for all stances (TacticalJog+SlowWalk+CrouchWalk).

The normal BIS anims have the tucked in elbows. Looks better and makes player/target width smaller.

Keep up your awesome work. :thumbs-up:

Thanks for your feedback RG. It will probably take some time for me to do some of the suggestions you have asked for but I am getting limited in as to what I can release in my work over CG pack (:)). Some of the things you will see, for some you will have to wait much longer.

As for remarks like 5) - it would require remaking all of the animations and while it's extremely time consuming, I say it has 0,01% impact in competitive gaming. Compared to hours of work, I am sorry to say but it won't happen :) (should have said that earlier... :P)

EDIT:

@RG point 1)

I already done such animation but I am not allowed to release it. Either way, please mind that this dude jogs with his legs fully stretched because he knows the ground underneath him. Now imagine you are on the battlefield and rocks/plants/man bodyparts/other shit - all these things are laying all over the place. Would you still run like that without looking at your feet? :) I wanted to make a compromise between this and speed. I think it's not that far off!

If you want, I can show you a video of me doing the same thing but with CIRAS on. You will notice the difference. It's simply not possible to shrink that much :)

Edited by Smookie

Ok, I have never tried to slide in RL with a full gear.

What I ment with the back to wall animations is, not the looking around a corner or blindfire I meant this:

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/6209/arma2oa2011042613460857.png

The red arrow is the direction that you will have if you just push the salute key when kneeling. And I wanted to know if it is possible to change the direction of the soldier to look the other way (green arrow).

JoeJoe