smookie

PvP Animation replacement/enhancement pack

The problem with switching it up like defunkt says, is that while it'll make the mod easier to get used to in the short term, in the long term it'll make the mod not as good as it can and should be.

Reeze, while the video is nice, too often it looks like you use an animation just to show it off and not because it would actually be a good thing to use, which doesn't really suit the title of the video. I think it would be really awesome to see a video where those animations are actually used in order to improve gameplay (that is, used in order to kill more and die less) - Such a video would heap a lot when it comes to convincing more people to play with this :)

Anyone actually played some missions (pvp/coop) with this? Any issues with AI noticed?

Edited by galzohar

PVP missions are played weekly at ECL beta testing nights on Sunday :)

I think it would be really awesome to see a video where those animations are actually used in order to improve gameplay (that is, used in order to kill more and die less)

I think so, too. I can't wait to watch one, actually!

PVP missions are played weekly at ECL beta testing nights on Sunday :)

^^ cant deny, I'm jealous. I'm pretty much on the other side of the world and my fav server, the only one that put on any PvP in the region, has not reapeared since being taken out by a flood some months ago.

At any rate I hope to be using your releases one way or the other, but I still see a 'lite' version filling a HUGE need/want/desire/void in the other styles of play.

---------- Post added at 01:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 AM ----------

Anyone actually played some missions (pvp/coop) with this? Any issues with AI noticed?

Some mentioned in the last few pages involving dismissed units going urban instead of sitting and AI getting stuck in sniper crouch.

Havn't seen any my self yet, and am curious to know if I'm right in assuming that it may effect coop campaigns/missions if particular anims are used in cutscenes??

There will be some fixes to pistol related animations in the next release. I might also work on new geometry lods but this is something I can't promise. Let's say my anims got quite a lot of attention and I am working on two fronts now :) Therefore the time I have for working on this is limited.

Cool deal man. My unit is reviewing your mod for addition to our mod back. Hope to see it able to be added :)

I've started messing about with AI today, if I notice anything, I'll get back to you.

Love this mod, but have a few niggles.

Shouldn't the sniper sit be a replacement for the sitdown and maybe have the panic on the evasive forward perhaps. This would maybe remove the problem with AI sitting down too.

Also the z and x should they not replace what you have already configured for crouch and prone as I use my mouse buttons for these instead but still have to use x and z to get up from a lot of the anims or I am stuck.

The finger should replace the salute BTW, just for the lols. ;)

I have enjoyed using this so far and made good use out of a lot of the moves.

Hi there!

superb addon! however, is this mod "sp compatible"? I was just testing it and some of my squadmates got stuck in the "snipersit" mode and weren't able to regroup again.

another question: would it be possible to make a version with weaponrest function? this would make the mod even better :D

im having the same issue too. if i have my guys moving in always crouch and i stop at a waypoint to look around they all go into the sniper sit and then they wont do anything. other than that this pack is pretty sweet. also any reason why you cant walk backwards or sideways with the pistol but your primary weapon slung on the side?

also any reason why you cant walk backwards or sideways with the pistol but your primary weapon slung on the side?

Yes, lazy animator ;) Sniper sit will be assigned to salute button, most likely. A new taunt animation will be available at the previous combination :)

Sorry, I just copypaste a couple of thoughts from my post from "Suggestions"

1) Easly usable hand signal system would be of great addition to the game. Well, there is an almost astonishing idea, but don't know is it realizable on game's engine - you press and hold a special hotkey and then you "draw" a figurines with your mouse (your weapon or line of site doesn't change its position while hotkey is pressed), initiating one or another hand signal. For example, you move mouse left - and your character singaling "move left" to the team; you draw a cross and your character signals "do not open fire" And if you staying point blank behind your teammate and pressing that new hotkey - you tapping his shoulder (an textual indication in the bottom of his screen will do, no need for special animation), conveing him that he can start crossing the street, for example. That would have made all CQB interactions quite intuitive and introduce fantastic ease of use!

2) The game needs some means to throw a frag into the doorway without exposing yourself to the enemy behind it (reach a hand and toss it into the doorway - well, like in all those ARMA2 CG-animations, with "frag and enter" style of clearing the room), or risking make a slight mistake and killing all your fireteam. Beside it, the means to easly throw a grenade into the window (or even ANY breach into the solid wall) in close proximity. Probably, the best way would be some interaction menu option.

You've done a great work already, so I thought you could probably incorporate solution to at least (2) into this wonderful addon. I don't really think the (1) could be easly realized, but who knows, may be you a real prodigy of sort :)

Actually you can find the signal system with the ACE mod, not easy implemented as you suppose but easy to reproduce via shortcut. For the second suggestion you can also follow the work of the ACE team, they will probably re-add their feature for different throwing "mode" for grenades.

Regards,

H.

Actually you can find the signal system with the ACE mod, not easy implemented as you suppose but easy to reproduce via shortcut.

Those came with ACE isn't easly reproduced, AFAIK. Or is it just me who couldn't figure out how to invoke them directly with simple hotkey? Besides, it's not so convinient as one I suggested :)

For the second suggestion you can also follow the work of the ACE team, they will probably re-add their feature for different throwing "mode" for grenades.

No, no, no! It would be great if they did, but that won't solve the problem. Game needs CQB style of dealing with close proximity doorways and windows, like all those ingame videos-on-engine, where you could just stop near the door, stretch your hand toss it in. Like in this episode:

Those came with ACE isn't easly reproduced, AFAIK. Or is it just me who couldn't figure out how to invoke them directly with simple hotkey? Besides, it's not so convinient as one I suggested :)

in ACE, you have to hit the hotkeys corresponding next tot he menu options. SO its ACE interact + H + 1/2/3/4/5/etc

@ UO, we have a uo_handsignals which uses cba userconfig and binds these to shift+numpad keys.

SO its ACE interact + H + 1/2/3/4/5/etc

"ACE interact" ruins it all immediately. It's CQB we are talking about, so it's HAVE TO be just "press one key and get it done, instantly and smoothly".

@ UO, we have a uo_handsignals which uses cba userconfig and binds these to shift+numpad keys.

That's better, but still isn't enough. Key combinations aren't nearly as convinient as "hold ONE key and move your mouse" one, especially when NUMPAD gets involved. At least it must be something you can press with one (and left one) hand (and you don't have to move your fingers too far from "ASDF" movement keys' zone), holding mouse with another tightly, aiming at the direction of potential threat (which usually fast and unforgiving to mistakes in CQB), ready to open fire. I belive that some overly intuitive (and so very practical in real combat) action as hand signaling must have similar degree of intuitiveness ingame to be usefull. And can there be something more intutitve than moving your right hand in a way similar to waving it in a REAL hand signal gesture?

Edited by kot1k

Hand signals will not be introduced in CGA simply because of their little significance and great pain in the assness :). In release 0.2 please expect fixes regarding sniper sit, some minor key remapping, pistol walking fixes, weapon down geometry (collision shape) reworked and a bit of a new stuff: up against the wall position from which you will be able to peak around the corner (without weapon next to eye, simply leaning with your head) and... throw a nade from that position :)

hey i have problems with the ai, they go into the sitting stance for shooting... and they wont regroup and form up or move anymore... can you maybe fix those... and i love the mod!!! its absolutely unreal. You should get some more features for gun turrets and stuff!!!

Game-change man, absolutely fantastic. I would vote this MOTY :)

Areas I think could use improvement:

* Pistols - the features would be incredible with pistols for CQB.

* As kot1k said, throwing grenades around corners without exposing more than your hand for the shortest possible time. There were numerous times when I would have just dropped a grenade through the doorway.

* Some of the blind-fire moves are disorientating, it's hard to figure out whether you're going to hit the wall or hit past it.

This really is one of the most incredible mods though, it certainly got me back into ArmA2.

Well I came in here to post about my problems with my weapon lowering when bumping into walls sometimes, but it looks like you're already working on that, along with everything else. Can't freakin wait for the next version man.

Problem with pistols is that I cannot modify original BIS animations and I have to make them from scratch. Making them similiar to the BIS original animations will take a lot of time (ingame checking all the time) and I dont think it's worth that effort. On top of that, handgun is attached to hand by model and to position the bloody hand, which would only show me local translations/rotations in relation to hip, is so frustrating. Even now as you can see it's not perfectly straight, in quick pistol stance that is...

Although I do not exclude such posibility. :)

I would suspect the release next weekend. Meantime happy Easter :)

Edited by Smookie

In any case what you have now is amazing, I really appreciate the work you've put into it, I had a blast before :)

nice :)

btw can you tone down those bounces - while walking with sights? /mean with rifle , atm is bounces too much still and cant aim - i must stop moving :D /

up against the wall position from which you will be able to peak around the corner (without weapon next to eye, simply leaning with your head) and... throw a nade from that position :)

Please, please, please, pretty please! Make something like that also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=M30tYY2GG-w#t=74s

I.e., just to toss it in while you are standing in close proximity to the doorway, pressed against the wall, without even leaning (it can impose unnecessary danger while storming compartments in cqb). And if you've managed to add ability to throw it in the window in same manner (just by stretchin hand and toss it in), that would become one of the greatest gameplay enrichment addon in Arma2. AFAIK, all required animations is already there in the game, so you just need to find a way to bind it to the hotkey and tune/adapt somehow. You're our only hope!

Edited by kot1k