Sign in to follow this  
Zipper5

ARMA 2: OA beta build 78888

I do not want to pinpoint any specific animations at this time. It is not only about getting it the same as it was in 157, it is about getting it better, more realistic and also more fun to play.
"Realistic" and more fun to play seem to exclude each other for a lot of players. So it's always a compromise at the end, isn't it

In my humble opinion, I felt that some of the death animation need speeding up. Especially those that are from the standing stance death animation.

This thread is winning, thanks Charlie.

As we are looking at animations, any chance of getting these looked at? Anyone noticed if they have been addressed?

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/16781 :-Several steps forward when going prone from crouched, gun lowered stance

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/16782 :-having to raise gun after using map

[78515] Fixed: regularCheck no longer done for players not fully ingame to prevent timeouts during the mission loading. - thanks for this if it fixes what I think it fixes. :)

Ty for the continued Patches!

Have long thought the best tonic for launchers within the current animation framework (assume anims cannot readily be interpolated directly to any other anim and must play out) is to break it up.

1. Disallow stowage while loaded.

2. Any attempt to stow a loaded launcher will instead cause an 'unload' (after which it can then be stowed as normal with a second move).

3. It is thus always empty when you go to deploy it requiring a 'reload' before use (of course if it's pre-packed type 'reload' stands for 'prepared for firing').

4. Rather than (for example) one 7 second action you can't break it becomes two 5 second actions making it quicker to change your mind but still requiring you take longer in total over deploying and firing.

5. A dropped launcher is automatically unloaded.

Thanks for the chance to provide feedback, installing now. Suggest it might be helpful to have a list of which anims have been adjusted.

In my humble opinion, I felt that some of the death animation need speeding up. Especially those that are from the standing stance death animation.

This.

Overall I like the current speeds very much.

As already pointed out, the animations were probably OK from start. It's the inability to interrupt them that kills the immersion.

Have long thought the best tonic for launchers within the current animation framework (assume anims cannot readily be interpolated directly to any other anim and must play out) is to break it up.

2. Any attempt to stow a loaded launcher will instead cause an 'unload' (after which it can then be stowed as normal with a second move).

3. It is thus always empty when you go to deploy it requiring a 'reload' before use (of course if it's pre-packed type 'reload' stands for 'prepared for firing').

4. Rather than (for example) one 7 second action you can't break it becomes two 5 second actions making it quicker to change your mind but still requiring you take longer in total over deploying and firing.

Thanks for the chance to provide feedback, installing now. Suggest it might be helpful to have a list of which anims have been adjusted.

Very good ideas. I give this a +1

Thank you BIS!

Is the new animation speeds you talk about also effective if installed on 1.57 or must 1.58RC be used?

/KC

On reflection, I think it would work still better if;

a) Any attempt to switch weapons while holding a loaded launcher would cause the launcher to be dropped.

b) To stow a loaded launcher (without dropping it) press Reload to 'unload' it whereupon it could then be stowed by switching away as usual.

Will install this one and test over the weekend guys.

Points made so far seem to be positive and keep most folks happy. :)

Nice one

This thread is winning, thanks Charlie.

Making an unprovoked Charlie Sheen reference is LOSING.

The fast launcher anims are a workaround of not being able to interrupt the anims.

Is there a problem to interrupt animation in a middle way and play it backward with a double speed to return back to previous stance?

Can this beta be uninstalled like the 'normal' betas? I ask because there was the one patch that took a reinstall of the game to get rid of it if you didn't like it.

EDIT:

Thanks Beagle

Edited by Khugan

Can this beta be uninstalled like the 'normal' betas? I ask because there was the one patch that took a reinstall of the game to get rid of it if you didn't like it.
1.58.78888 uses a beta folder. It will not affect your 1.57 version and you can still use the 1.57 shortcut to start game without beta folder.

This is the first beta patch I have ever used.

It kinda freaked me out for a second when the installer gave the "if you want to uninstall, you must reinstall the entire game" and I was like, "But this is a beta!".

I take it that's just a standard message with every patch installer?

Also, Windows 7 threw a fit after it finished, saying "this program might not have installed correctly". I just told it that it did install correctly, but is that normal with these beta patches?

This is the first beta patch I have ever used.

It kinda freaked me out for a second when the installer gave the "if you want to uninstall, you must reinstall the entire game" and I was like, "But this is a beta!".

I take it that's just a standard message with every patch installer?

Also, Windows 7 threw a fit after it finished, saying "this program might not have installed correctly". I just told it that it did install correctly, but is that normal with these beta patches?

The message is standard and not true, I've seen the "...might not..." message on Win7 only so far... not on XP but I have installed only one beta (78188) under Win7 so far.

Very normal on Win 7. Disregard in the case with betas.

Nice to see the focus on anims.

Personally I think the jogging is too speedy and feels/looks unnatural. Will continue to test..

I do not want to pinpoint any specific animations at this time. It is not only about getting it the same as it was in 157, it is about getting it better, more realistic and also more fun to play.

imho as close to the limitations experienced by actual solders as possible would be the 1st and most important measure. that's the promise that makes arma2 stand out heads above the rest. in fact, it should be the measure for every aspect integrated in the game

Originally Posted by Defunkt View Post

So you basically suggest the way ACE handels this?

It would be cool to have this as a standard in the game.

imho as close to the limitations experienced by actual solders as possible would be the 1st and most important measure. that's the promise that makes arma2 stand out heads above the rest. in fact, it should be the measure for every aspect integrated in the game

I disagree bud, I think Marek has hit the nail on the head here.

We all prefer this game cos its not the bunny hopping CS/MW style of gameplay here, its is MORE realistic.

But as soon as we compromise gameplay for realism, we will lose a lot of the players and clans for this game as it will no longer become fun.

A truly realistic game will have an hours worth of mission briefing, going over contact drills, actually getting to the start point then the actual patrol/mission, which may take hours before you even get a contact. Also during the mission you will get sore feet, start moaning etc. All in all, we cant really replicate that in a game, well, not a game I would want to play anyways. :)

I dont get a lot of time of time to play games these days, real life interferes hehe, but when I do get to play I dont want the hours of hanging around before I actually see some action, so the changes made so far meet with my approval :)

There has to be a compromise of realism over gameplay sadly and we wont be able to keep everyone happy all the time.

I will certainly be testing this more over the weekend when I actually have some time to play.

Cuddles

DM