Sign in to follow this  
Saint Warrior

Apache 30 mm gun Vs Tunguska

Well this thread seems to have satisfactorily run its course and we've all learnt a few things about campaigns and tactics and immediate bans etc along the way..:)

(PS- sorry about the spoiler thing, I mistakenly thought putting the big word "Spoiler" at the top of my sensational post would be enough)

Edited by PoorOldSpike

Thanks a lot for your help guys I just managed to pass the first mission of EW campaign. I avoided the Tunguska and auto-hovered waiting for Su-25 passing by.

On the ICARUS objective I managed to blow up T-72 with 30 mm gun pretty quickly. I mean this gun is really very deadly. I destroyed all other targets at the last objective too.

So it's seems that enormous strength of this airfield Tunguska is really scripted.

Now my Apache is blown down by some sort of nuclear explosion and I am alone with single H&K MP5A5 and one magazine left. Seems to be quite dramatic campaign. :)

Edited by W0lle

Massive facepalm. :p In fact that made my night, brilliant. :D

Moving to official missions then we needn't worry about the spoilers ;)

All Pilots are taught the same lesson that you cannot allow yourself to become a target for the feared Tunguska. but to illustrate this I think this cold hard data will help you feel the fear even more :)

I just put together a comparisment between the tunguska and the apache gun and came up with this:

Apache:

300px-Apache_Gun_%28M230_Chain_Gun%29.jpg

Caliber: 30 x 113 mm

Guidance: Optics/laser

Action: Chain gun

Rate of fire: 625 rpm

Muzzle velocity:805 m/s (2,641 ft/s)

Effective range:1,500 m (1,640 yd)

Maximum range: 4,500 m (4,920 yd)

Tunguska:

Tunguska.jpg

Caliber: 30 mm

Guidance: radar and visual

Action: Auto cannon

Rate of fire: 3,900 - 5,000 rounds per minute (1,950 to 2,500 rpm for each gun)

Muzzle velocity:960 m/s (3150 yd)

range: 4000 m

watch the difference in rate of fire

Conclusion:

The Tunguska is a mean beast, and to make the matter worse it has two cannons versus Apache's single chaingun maybe now you can make a more sensible choice when faced with the tunguska, Iknow what my choice would be, fly low like a bat out of hell away and fight another day :)

Edited by ScareCroweb

I'm not much of a pilot but in games like Gunship etc I always used the hellfire and attacked AAA or SAM threats from close to maximum range, IE several clicks or more. If you are close enough to use the cannon you are too close.