Sign in to follow this  
avibird 1

I am so f*cked disk read error occurred. Can't reboot the PC to play ARMA

Help! I am so fucked. I got A disk read error occurred Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart PC. I can't reboot my PC it just goes back to this black screen with the error. I have tryed everything I can think of:

1. Put repair disk in.

2. Reinstall windows 7

3. unhooked the hard drive and put into a diff sata port

4. hook up an External Hard Drives

5. PLAY around with the BIOS settings ie safe mode, default setting.

I just got the game working at the point I was happy with. OC CPU, flash 6950, mod's setup and running well FPS ~ 48 FPS things were good. FUCK ME.

Tried the sata600 (diff colour) ports yet?

And you were able to reinstall windows but it wont start??

well seems like You overclocked too Much which leads to calculation and I/O errors

Tried the sata600 (diff colour) ports yet?

And you were able to reinstall windows but it wont start??

I never had the harddrive in the 3.0 ports I had both DVD and HD in the sata600 but I will not tell newegg that. So if I need to get a new HD b/c OF THE MOBO error with the 300 sata lol. I have had my HD for 42 days!

well seems like You overclocked too Much which leads to calculation and I/O errors

No only OC to 4.0 level 3 using easytune6 from my MOBO for benchtest with ARMA a few times with different setting and then I drop down to level 1 at 3.5 oc only and only played for a few hrs yesterday! It can't be that I have the i5 2500k 3.5 is nothing for this CPU. STOCK RANGE is 3.3-3.7!

you sure you restored bios settings to default? If it was the overclock a fresh win7 install should've fixed it.

How did you reinstall windows 7 without being able to boot???

Edited by Leon86

ofcourse You might just have really faulty hardware (e.g. HDD) hard to tell ...

ofcourse You might just have really faulty hardware (e.g. HDD) hard to tell ...

Maybe. Newegg should give me a new HD if I need but what a pain in the ass to reinstall everything.

How did you reinstall windows 7 without being able to boot???

4. hook up an External Hard Drives! I was able to start running the repair disk but could not complete tasks. It would not let me run windows7 disk when I hook back the HD after getting the system back into a load up screen using the repair disk and external drive.

Well, your dvd drive seems to work, so the sata ports are apparantly ok. Maybe you can try the harddisk in another system/ usb housing to make sure it's busted?

And maybe take it down a notch with reflashing gpu bioses and ill-prepared overclocking, you're becoming quite the hardwarekiller :)

Well, your dvd drive seems to work, so the sata ports are apparantly ok. Maybe you can try the harddisk in another system/ usb housing to make sure it's busted?

And maybe take it down a notch with reflashing gpu bioses and ill-prepared overclocking, you're becoming quite the hardwarekiller :)

yes, you are right the game run fine in the high 40's (FPS) so what the hell was I thinking. More is better !!!!!!!

I have a friend coming over tonite to see what he can do. Hope he can get it to boot back up, maybe reformat the HD and reinstall win/arm. If not I will call newegg and tell them my sata 300 port killed my HD :)

I should have a new one soon to start all over. Like I said a long time ago on this forum consoles are just easy, plug and play! but I have gained Knowledge about PC's but need a lot more so I don't F up my system again!

yes, you are right the game run fine in the high 40's (FPS) so what the hell was I thinking. More is better !!!!!!!

I have a friend coming over tonite to see what he can do. Hope he can get it to boot back up, maybe reformat the HD and reinstall win/arm. If not I will call newegg and tell them my sata 300 port killed my HD :)

I should have a new one soon to start all over. Like I said a long time ago on this forum consoles are just easy, plug and play! but I have gained Knowledge about PC's but need a lot more so I don't F up my system again!

Untill you know enough yourself, pay some one else..for now.

Now that you have played the PC version, ya know why we play it! :p

Well, overclocking shouldn't be able to actually kill a harddisk, just corrupt the data on it, so if the drive is completely busted it's probably just a bad drive.

Untill you know enough yourself, pay some one else..for now.

Now that you have played the PC version, ya know why we play it! :p

Not to start a fight. But I was playing OFPCWC since 2001 on PC. I gave up PC games around 2005. OFP elite played better then OFPCWC did. Yes no mod's and community but the game was the best around. PC games are better with the things you can do by the community but it takes a lot of time unlike consoles Plug and play.

Lets keep this on how I can get my pc back on line thanks.

Lets keep this on how I can get my pc back on line thanks.

ok then. don't fuck with your "pc". ;)

Dwarden gave you the 1st hint earlier.

ok then. don't fuck with your "pc". ;)

Dwarden gave you the 1st hint earlier.

Why not it's the only way you can learn how to do things for yourself. No pain no gain or pain in the ass when you F your system but it's only time and maybe some money lol. I think I know what went wrong but my friend who works with MS is coming over today to see if he can fix the issue on my system. I will post what was the deal if he can fix it so others do not do the same thing.

PS it was not the OC or flashing the 6950, It maybe just be a bad HD or the fact that I had the HD into the 300 sata for a few weeks before I put it into the 600 sata port on my MOBO USING THE i5 2500k:mad:

if the HD is busted (as in error reading issues) then send it back to whoever you bought it from for a replacement (that if you are sure the HD is busted - no matter what the cause that is - rebuts will always creep their way)

1. you can't fuck up the HD by OCing your CPU and/or GPU

2. you can't fuck up your HD by flashing your GPU...

There is always the option to format your HDD (at least the system partition), and see if that works. IF it doesn't, you might as well send it back to retailer.

Did you try loading a secondary OS (Puppy Linux,etc.)-after changing boot priority-... it could show you the amount & type of corruption/failure of your ailing HDD, as well as allowing you to use a diagnostic utility -available from the manufacturer- to troubleshoot/rebuild MBR, etc., just in case you haven't bricked it.

Google Ultimate Boot CD (or DVD) - lots of tools to fix these sorts of problems. Download it, burn it and boot from it.

Sounds like your boot block got corrupted.

Just one of those windows F*** ups mate, I just had the same problem with my Mum's. Got a phone call off my mum the other night saying her computer wouldn't boot and it is saying press ctrl alt del. Tried everything to get it working, in the end I just hooked her HDD up to my comp, got all the important stuff off then formated. My mum isn't a power user, just internet and e-mail so I didn't over clock her comp. So IMO Overclocking has nothing to do with it, Just windows. Most of the time your computer will just switch off if it gets too hot with overclocking. GFX overclocking, the game will shut down, and memory overclocking will give you BSOD.

Go to the disk vendor website, download their disk diagnostic software (eg Seagate will tell you to downlaod SeaTools) - it usually is in the form of an ISO that will make a DOS-based boot CD/DVD. Run the vendors disk diagnostic. If the diagnostic finds errors it will give you an error reading or an error code. If this is the case, go to the vendors website and put in a warranty replacement request. They are usually quite good. You pay one-way shipping to return the disk, they send you a replacement (usually a refurb) and pay shipping to you. If you want replacement ASAP, you pay a little more. Most disks have a 3-year warranty, and most vendors also have a no-questions-asked replacement policy even if the disk does not show any damage on diagnostic. Just be sure the disk is absolutely the problem before you send it back.

My system is back up but still working to get ARMA running. What a pain in the ass. Ok I think I know what caused this F up. Some of you are not going to like it but I need to tell the story for others.

When I was building this system just to play ARMA2. I had budget of $1000.00 I put together a very good system for just under 1000.00 But still needed a OS. A friend from work told me her family member could get me a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate and save me around $225.00.

Everything was good PC and ARMA was running well ~ 51-53 FPS with my 5870. I started getting some game crashes and did a little Research that some of the XFX 5870 had this issue. So newegg took back the card after 43 days (thank you newegg) and I got the 6950 for the same cost. 239.00.

At this time my windows 7 was over 30 days and needed to be Activated with a keycode. Windows still worked fine but I had popups saying this may not be a real windows program and I may not be able to use some functions as well as words on my desktop saying this windows may not be real.

When I ran the beachmark#8 I was only getting 44-46 FPS with the same settings. WTF the 6950 was a better card! So then I stared to F with the OC and thinking about flashing the card to the 6970. In the same nite My friend gave my a CD with a keycode that would automatic activate my copy of windows. So after I flashed the card I put in the CD and hit the program and my antivirus screen blocked a virus so I CONTINUED TO RUN THE PROGRAM (Stupid!)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When the program stop it sayed to restart the system and that's when the disk read error occurred saying Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart and nothing would get the system up working.

So know I had to reformat my HD lost all my data and paid for a real copy of window 7 BUT now I can't run ARMA2 or OA due X3DAudio1_6.dll. missing file on my PC. I download directx 9 and still no luck! HELP!

Edited by AVIBIRD 1

Just run windows update a couple of times so all the drivers are installed.

That's funny ! After multiple trails of reinstalling directx 9 to my sysytem I used google around 2:45 am and find an old post on this forum talking about the x3daudio1_6-dll-not-found-missing-error in the arma2 demo lol it talk about how you needed to find in a program within the directx 9 download and run that installer.( Arma 2 Demo Failed to Start because X3DAudio1_6.dll was not found ) http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=74668.

I still want to no why I did not have this Directx issue when I first put the PC together. Was it removed when a reformated my HD or the fact I had the first vid card 5870 had the directx9 and maybe the 6950 has directx 10 and 11.

Edited by AVIBIRD 1