Sign in to follow this  
JDog

USS Nimitz

How should aircraft maintenance be arranged?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. How should aircraft maintenance be arranged?

• Refuel/Rearm/Repair all in one spot on flight deck
    • Refuel/Rearm between elevators 1&2, Repair in hangar bay
    • Rearm between elevators 1&2, Refuel towards rear of deck, Repair in Hangar bay

Gnat;2112458']Well ........ depends how you implemeneted towing already .......

If you can answer my earlier question.

Sorry gnat, i am trying to use rundll's towing and trying to add Meatballs F18 into it, my bad for not answering you. :o

Ok then.

That code I posted is from rundll's towing pack. Find that code (in config.sqf) and add an extra parameter for meatballs F18, or simply replace the "PRACS_F18" class with meatballs class.

BUT, this likely wont work while your using the Nimitz on the same mission. The nimitz is unfortunately using all the same code.

What might work is; drop your separate copy of rundll's pack; then redefining the (global) array (that code + your meatball class added in) in a separate short script, a short time after a mission (with the Nimitz in it) starts.

This redefined glonal array will then be used by the Nimitz copy of the rundll code.

Note that meatball has a shit load of class names, so you'll likely have to define a line for every one so towing will work.

Eg

MyTowRedefine.sqf

sleep 15;
dll_tow_defs =     [["TowingTractor",             nil,         nil,             [0.25, -2], false],
                                    ["Tractor",                            nil,         nil,             [0, -2.3],     false],
                                    ["HMMWV_Base",                    nil,         nil,             [0, -2.5],     false],
                                    ["UAZ_Base",                        nil,         nil,             [0, -2.5],     false],                                     
                                    ["Land_loco_742_blue",    [0,8.2],[0,-3],        [0,-7],         true],
                                    ["Land_wagon_flat",            [0,8.2],[0,-3],     [0,-8.7],     true],
                                    ["Land_wagon_tanker",        [0,5.65],[0,-3],     [0,-7],         true],
                                    ["Land_wagon_box",            [0,5.65],[0,-3],     [0,-7],         true],
                                    ["PowGen_Big",                    [0,-5],    [0,0],         nil,                 true],
                                    ["Ural_Base_withTurret",[0,5.5],[0,-3],     [0, -4],         false], 
                                    ["MTVR",                                [0,5.5],[0,-1.5], [0, -4],         false], 
                                    ["Kamaz_Base",                    [0,5.5],[0,-1.5], [0, -4],         false], 
                                    ["Mi24_Base ",                     [0,9],     [0,-1],     nil,                 false],        
                                    ["A10",                                 [0,8],     [0,-1],     nil,                 false],
                                    ["AV8B2",                             [0,7.5],[0,-1],     nil,                 false],    
                                    ["MH60S",                             [0,-9], [0,-1],     nil,                 false],    
                                    ["Mi17_base",                        [0,8],     [0,0],         nil,                 false],    
                                    ["Mi17_rockets_RU",            [0,8.5],[0,0],         nil,                 false],    
                                    ["F35B",                                 [0,7],     [0,-3.5], nil,                 false],        
                                    ["Su39",                                 [0,5.5],[0,-1],     nil,                 false],
                                    ["Su34",                                 [0,6],     [0,-2],     nil,                 false],
                                    ["Pchela1T",                         [0,2],     [0,-1],     nil,                 false],
                                    ["MQ9PredatorB",                 [0,5.5],[0,-1],     nil,                 false],
                                    ["USEC_MAULE",                    [0,-6],    [0,1],         nil,                 false],
                                    ["IkaR_F14_AIM_54_ir",                                 [0,8],     [0,-1],     nil,                 false],
                                    ["PRACS_F15",                                 [0,8],     [0,-1],     nil,                 false],
                                    ["PRACS_F18",                                 [0,8],     [0,-1],     nil,                 false],
                                    ["C130J",                                [0,15],    [0,-5],     nil,                false],
                                    ["vmfa_aw533_01",                                 [0,8],     [0,-1],     nil,                 false],
                                    ["vmfa_aw533_02",                                 [0,8],     [0,-1],     nil,                 false]];

Edited by [APS]Gnat

I don't remember, and can't check, but isn't there some base class that all the versions of Meatball's F18 inherit from that he can put down, instead of listing each specific class individually?

Good to see you JDog!!

I would be happy to help out, but I am still waiting to get my computer back from the shop. I SHOULD get it back this week. I will work on getting the F/A-18 compatabile with the towing script. I dont remember the class name off of my head, but I do know that there is one classname that is being inherited by the others.

You shouldn't have to change anything on your end Meatball... what aircraft are enabled for towing and their attach points are in the towing script.

JDog or anyone else who can help. I am working on a carrier flight operations script for JDog's Nimitz. So far, launching and recovery of aircraft has been figured out, but I want to add a bit more.

How can I query the status of each catapult line, nimcat1use, nimcat2use, nimcat3use, nimcat4use( I think these are the names, not at home right now) and store in an array? I see JDog sets these values to either 0 or 1 depending on whether they are in use or available.

What I'm working on now, is checking these values, and depending on which catapult is available, to direct aircraft to it using BIS fnc selectRandom from that array.

I thought I could just use getVariable, but I just couldn't come up with anything that worked.

Thanks for your help

Can't you just use conditional IF statements to see which are available? And if you need to, pass some value to your own array based on that? Maybe just make the array private, that way it rebuilds itself from the available catapults each time it runs. That what you're looking for?

You cannot use getVariable because nimcat1use etc are not a variable of any entity, they are simply global variables.

And just out of curiosity, is all this stuff for AI or just like a director for players?

Thanks for the reply JDog.

That's basically what I ended up doing. Using an IF statement to check available catapults (IF _x == 0, then... for each nimCat1use...etc) which places those in an array. What's got me now, is when it's returned, I'm getting [0,0,0,0], and if one in use [0,0,0], but I want it to show the global variable name, or whatever name I chose. I've probably looked at it for so long I'm missing something simple.

I would like to addPublicVariableEventHandler for the catapults, which update the array when status changed, then use those as flight deck control to move aircraft to the available catapults.

Anyway, yes this is all AI driven. More of an environment thing I guess. Right now, I've got the take off and landings figured out using nimspots... I'm trying to set this up so you don't have to guess with markers. Where ever the Nimitz is placed, they will work.

This is all script driven, no recorded playback.

Ok, I have this working now.

Edited by panther42

I keep having a problem facing the wrong direction when I lower launch bar. I usually end up facing away from the bridge. It seems to happen when there is alot going on in the mission. I brought it up a long time ago and I hope i'm not repeating alot of others (internet wont stay connected long enough to search).

Anyway, I was wondering if there was a way to make a "disengage" option to get released from the catapult. Besides my issue, there may be times when another jet or object is blocking a catapult from damage or something. All you can do is get out. You lose your aircraft.

Thanks

USS NIMITZ is most best NAVY Addon ever made for ArmA 2 !!! RIP F-14TOMCAT and F-117A Those aircrafts are retired from service of the United States Air Forces !!!

Jdog, don't suppose there's any news on if you're still working on the Queen Elizabeth class CVs in addition to the Nimitz? Or if they're part of your plan for the future?

Ta!

Hi Nikeleye, I haven't worked on my addons for ArmA 2 in quite some time now. I kept my work folders in case I ever decide to get back to them, of course, but it's doubtful. I'm actually learning Unity 3D engine right now with a couple friends and hoping to make our own game with it. But who knows, if I get time enough in the future perhaps I'll come back and update the Nimitz for ArmA 3. It holds a special place in my game-dev heart lol. No promises :P

That's all good JDog, thanks for the reply. Best of luck with the new venture!

How about repair/refuel/rearm in both one spot the hangar deck and one spot on the flight deck?

You could place a "Maintenance Area" from Ikars F-14 Tomcat on the deck. I believe something similar was done in the "Carrier Landing Training" Mission, that comes with v 1.6 of Ikars Tomcat. You can still use all the Nimitz Maintenance features. But this "Maintenance Area" was cleverly put at the end of the landing strip. You stop there (if you dont miss the wires and bolt) are repaired (good for me - damaged gear) and can roll right over to the Catapult again. :-D

If your having problem with gear, I can try to dig up my code. Had the same issue and I fixed it on take off and landing or bolters

@Nomadd, after a little testing I found out the problem. Unfortunately, this is beta and still a WIP, and as such I was making sure it works for players and havent done much with AI or even set building positions yet.

The problem is with the catapult launch script I use which is launching in the direction YOU (the player) is facing when the script is called, not the AI. Quick answer: I fixed it and I'll put up a new script for you to use in your mission instead, and I'll update that wth the next release also.

EDIT: Use the following as a script in your own mission folder for now to launch an aircraft lined up with the catapult, call xx=[objectName]execVM "catlaunch.sqf";

catlaunch.sqf:

_veh = [color="Red"]objectName[/color];
_v=1;  
while{_v<50}do{    
(vehicle _veh) setvelocity [_v* sin (getdir (_veh)),_v * cos (getdir (_veh)),.1];
_v=_v+6;
sleep 0.12;
};

Unfortnately this method still doesn't account for the AI pilot attempting to veer off-course while being propelled down the line, nor does it make him aware he's about to be thrust into the ocean and should start flying.

I might recommend looking into unitCapture and unitPlay commands, just to get them into the air. Note those only work in OA/CO.

How to install them?? i just made the catlaunch.sqf , i confuse in call xx=[objectName]execVM "catlaunch.sqf"; .. and how to make the shooter crew animate?

thx

I love this mod so much!!! I was actually first to download the original release because I was just browsing forums when it came up lol. Anyway quick question, is anybody else having trouble with landing on the carrier? When I land, my gear either mysteriously retract when I hit the deck and I explode, or the aircraft just stops dead on the deck, damaging it and occassionally destroying it outright. I have tried landing from multiple different angles and speeds with- FDF F-18C, Meatball's Super Bug, Ikar's F-14, BIS A-10 and AV-8B. All aircraft suffer the same problem and I have been unable to spot a pattern in the bug.

Hey JDOG I know you stated youve removed Arma2 however I was just wondering if you could point me in the right direction. I am making a Campaign For Metal Gear Solid for Arma2 Ive been working at it for some time now and Ive become stumped as to how to make my opening level finished with the Cargo Elevator. Is there a mod or script that I can use to make an editor Object function as an elevator? the little cargo Elevator you have for rearming of the Towing Tractor is perfect but I know you made that part of the Model.

I dont know much about models and how to make or design them but I was thinking there must be a way to attach a script to an object to function like your Elevator. Sorry to ask but your the only one know of that has accomplished this.

Also I dont know if its juts my game being a you know what,but When I use the towing tractor to tow the F-14 SuperTomcat I get this error that pops up and doesnt disappear.

Stam_eh=this ,ACE_sys_stamina_eh # nil_call_ace_fnc_def Stam_multi=[_t...

error undefined expresssion:nil file X\ace\addons\main\XEH_preinit.sqf,line 59

I posted a topic about it I know thats ace related but I just thought I would mention it here considering that the Towing tractor is used on the Carrier and I figured most people would see the same thing and wonder if anyone had experienced it.

for now Ill leave the towing out and just use it to rearm. Thanks for your time JDOG. And GOD BLESS YOU for your Carrier.

@SGT M

There seems to be 2 parts of the Nimitz that connect to eachother RIGHT where the 1st arrester cable is. If you touch down right on it it seems to stop you dead and damage you or make you explode... I found that either going a bit faster or even better just touch down closer or farther then the 1st cable will keep it from happening.

@Eaglezero6205

Thats ace for sure man, I tested repeatedly and had no problem at all and i dont run ace.... ntm the error :p

Well I know its ace I posted about it on their forum topic as well. I am having a strange bit of an issue with rearming on the Carrier now though. Because I got that error I opened up an old mission I had before the F-18 newest update back when it was called the Fz-18 and had a large folder of Tow scripts.

I don't get the error anymore and we can all tow around aircraft in multiplayer but... I get two options that say Attach Vehicle on the Tow tractor and when I use that the aircraft scribbles all over the deck without me even driving anywhere LOL. So I use the Attach option only and Not Attach Vehicle and I dont have any problems with towing,However I am the only person who can rearm on the carrier.

I go down into the Bomb hold and Resupply I get the brown bags but Im the only one who sees it. And I reload my F-18/F-14 just fine. However No one sees my Brown bags, and they go down into the bomb room and cant Resupply. They don't even get the action... Like the Script is only firing Locally on my machine. "Im the Server".

I can rearm their aircraft from the pilot seat, but when I get out they don't have any weapons in their plane. So it must only be working locally.

Ugh... I cant win for losing. I'm sure there's an Explanation for this I just have to figure it out.

EDIT: I forgot to ask,Ive read through the entire topic and I never saw anyone ask or mention placing more then one Nimitz...

Is there a special way to do it and keep the Cats and traps working? Im creating a Gulf War Mission and I have down 4 Nimitz Carriers.

However now on my main Start up carrier I don't get get the Lower launch bar Option. I tried renaming all the Carriers but no dice.

I really just want 3 placer holders and 1 functional I don't need all 4 functional they are basically just for Scenery though I did want o have AIs on them coming and going.

Anyone know about placing more then one in a mission without breaking the Scripts?

Edited by Eaglezero6205

SgtM & Kydo, there is a split in the model in the middle of the arresting cables, between 2 and 3. Whether you can hit/crash into that seam, I don't know. When I modeled the collision/geometry mesh all the deck was made perfectly in line with each other so it isn't like if you roll down there deck there will be "bumps" or "cracks". It might affect something with game logic being two separate models but I assure you there's no gaps or even the slightest elevation difference in the collision models for the deck.

Eagle, don't remember how extensively I tested resupplying online, you'd have to see if others are having the same problem. Also as for placing multiple carriers, unfortunately it isn't possible with the way I wrote the scripts at the time, and I think I mention this in the readme. When it's spawned the carrier and various parts of it are given specific names, and if another one is spawned, those names are then assumed by that new carrier probably. Don't think I knew at the time how to dynamically create a name for the carrier and have all its scripts use that name, while generating a new name for a new carrier and having it recognize to use the new names also. So unfortunately more than 1 carrier can't be used for more than eye candy.

Good to see your still here JDOG. I know what they are talking about as well with the tiny area in the Cables its rare that you hit it. But I have noticed the Tomcat snags that collision area a lot more then the F-18 does. I come in for the landing and if I'm may 5-10 meters above deck , I am almost yanked onto the deck at a complete stop. Then the Aircraft starts to smoke the second I throttle up. It seems to occur most on a missed approach of a tad too high.

I may have found a tiny glitch, when I was in the briefing room. I had 4 pilots at the back row of chairs, I tried to walk through the doorway and glitched through the carrier right in the middle of the door frame.

I solved it by moving the pilots forward one row.

Also when Launching on the number 1 catapult sometimes I get 3/4 the way down the deck and Boom like it hits a bump or someone left a toy car stuck in the cat track. (that'll teach em!)

It happens much less often when You let the engine start all the way first, let Mando initialize,then flaps down,lower launch bar,then wait for the cat smoke to poor all the way down the track. After that, throttle forward Slowly then wait a few seconds and SALUTE. If I do it in that order I don't crash 3/4 down the path.

Last thing, I tested the Multi- Carrier thing and for every carrier placed I got an additional Tail hook Option. So for my Gulf war mission I put down 4 and I got 4 tail hooks but could only land on one carrier. I tried to tail hook down from one and then fly to another but NOPE. I thought a long time ago when I first downloaded this I read something about it but couldn't remember, I use sixupdater to get the updated carrier so I'm guessing I don't get an updated version of the PDF or something.

I had my friend send me his Pdf from him downloading it form Armaholic though and the Pdf doesn't mention placing more then one. Its OK though I should have known (Whispers)--->"THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE..."

JDG if you haven't already I would advise you to check out Carrier Ops@ Duala by RoughNight he really Utilized to the max the capabilities of your Carrier. God only knows how long it took him to write all those scripts and actually make it work for AI traffic.

Edited by Eaglezero6205

Hello, i have downloaded the Nimitz and i try to anim the AircraftDirector (shooter in yellow on the deck) and i cannot lock the animation when the man is in position (one leg on floor,...).

I tryed use this switchMove "nimitz_cat2"

I think that i probably don't use the good method... So if you have a script or a template... Thank you and sorry for my engligh.

bye.:)

You should really add in some automated Phalanx systems like the Queen Elizabeth carrier. It would make the Nimitz much better during an air raid and give it some combat power.