Sign in to follow this  
JDog

USS Nimitz

How should aircraft maintenance be arranged?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. How should aircraft maintenance be arranged?

• Refuel/Rearm/Repair all in one spot on flight deck
    • Refuel/Rearm between elevators 1&2, Repair in hangar bay
    • Rearm between elevators 1&2, Refuel towards rear of deck, Repair in Hangar bay

After messing around with this for hours, finally figured out an idiot proof way to have this work for everyone. Take the test mission and copy EVERYTHING. Paste it into your new map and it should work flawlessly.

Now onto a more difficult topic:

How in the &^@#(@*#@*$%# do I get respawn to work on the carrier?!?!?!?!?!

Ryguy knows me well enough it seems haha. I just didn't respond to Hawke or haven't posted at all because... as many mods will say... no post cuz no news. I do get easily distracted, especially during school. If anyone paid attention while this was a WIP, I worked on it a lot during the summer, didnt hear from me for months, then it finally got released just before this semester started. Currently at mid-term week.

Anyway, I'm not working on this right now, but I will again. Don't think its dead unless I post here saying I will never ever work on it again, and if I ever did do that I'd probably find someone in the community to entrust it to anyway.

Also, this is awesome:

Take the test mission and copy EVERYTHING. Paste it into your new map and it should work flawlessly.
Unfortunately I've never been into mp scripting much and honestly don't know where to start with respawns, I'm sure you can find the answer in the mission editing & scripting boards.

After messing around with this for hours, finally figured out an idiot proof way to have this work for everyone. Take the test mission and copy EVERYTHING. Paste it into your new map and it should work flawlessly.

Now onto a more difficult topic:

How in the &^@#(@*#@*$%# do I get respawn to work on the carrier?!?!?!?!?!

Use NORRIN's Revive Script, he has a Respawn for the LHD, it works the same for this one.

Nice looking ship, I Will test when i have the time, thanks for all the hard work!!

I could not resist and make a little article on our frontpage about this great Addon!

USS Nimitz @ BG-=XTRA=-

:bounce3:

f18 is out, download FDF mod.

It seems to be an F/A-18 Hornet. I was talking about F/A-18 Super Hornet, which is a noticably different plane. Original Hornets are no longer used in US Navy IIRC.

IIRC you obviously do care enough to distinguish the difference in the two, IIRC. Regardless there is an f18 out either way.

JDog,

I have been working on a mission using this mod and the USS Nimitz addon, everything seems to be working fine with the mod until I put a Nimitz on the map!?!?! Any idea if this mod or the addon would be at fault and what on earth could be causing such a thing???

what mod are you using? just saying "this mod" doesn't give any information at all. Is it ACE, another ship addon, a sound mod, etc.

i seem to be having a bit of an issue with the

[X,Y]execVM "\JDG_carrier\scr\sys_catapult_jdb.sqf";

and the other ones, i tried to get it to work in both a trigger and unit but no luck i keep getting this remark

Type script, expected nothing

Any ideas as i want to be able to use the carrier for a project i'm working on

hi madiba,

use the "JDG_carrier_Spawner" Modell, and all thinks are working,

with the special commands you can steering any thinks ( elevators, catapults )

example,

i use for my carrier this,

init="nul = [4, 1]execVM ""\JDG_carrier\scr\elevatorAction.sqf"";";

elevator Nr.4 is going down, when a player join our server (normal is, all elevators are up)

Madiba, as Vulc@no showed, I think you're probably just missing the variable name you need to give to the script call.

In his example, you need the "nul = " before the "[4, 1]execVM ""\JD....."

Just [X,Y]execVM "\JDG_carrier\scr\sys_catapult_jdb.sqf"; will not work. You need:

nul = [X,Y]execVM "\JDG_carrier\scr\sys_catapult_jdb.sqf";

or _xx = [X,Y]execVM "\JDG_carrier\scr\sys_catapult_jdb.sqf";

or _somethingElse = [X,Y]execVM "\JDG_carrier\scr\sys_catapult_jdb.sqf";

Hope that helps.

Do you think it would be possible for a future version to have perhaps some kind of ATC radar, showing the altitude and heading of aircraft. Sounds complicated to make but would be super cool for carrier ops.

hello,

i dont know why i ve so much problems to start a plane with nimitz catapults.

everytime i do it with the script examples, everything looks good, but the catapult accelerates the plane into wrong direction.

Those wrong direction is determined by the view direction of my own char which mostly stands beside the plane to view the start.

That means if i look to the opposite direction, the plane will be accelarated backwards...

any help would be great :-)

PS: the only mod im starting with is the nimitz... iam using Arma2 without any expansions.

edit1: ithink i found the answer here

edit2: the workaround described at the link above showed me the way but did not solve my problem. I modified it with a direction correction for the plane and now i can start a-10, f35b and SU-35 planes and it looks nearly real. I also modified a value of the acceleration algorythm to get it work for me. For Users with similar problems i post it now :)

_veh = plane01;

_v=1;

while{_v<68}do{

(vehicle _veh) setvelocity [_v* sin (getdir (_veh)),_v * cos (getdir (_veh)),.1];

_v=_v+6;

sleep 0.12;

_veh setDir (getDir _veh)-1;

};

while{_v<100}do

{

_v=_v+6;

sleep 0.12;

_veh setDir (getDir _veh)-1;

};

Edited by Sarogahtyp
post obsolete

Nevermind, you found it.

Does the carrier simulate things like movement direction, rough seas, and multiple arrestor hook wires? A night landing in rough seas without night vision.... Now that would be fun.

Of course, it would also probably involve a lot of headline news in ArmAverse about a serial killer fighter pilot called 160thSOAR who was constantly crashing into carriers causing major loss of life.

Unfortunately its static due to engine limitations... still well worth the download though..

its me again ;-)

i got a PM from a forum member who said that my modification did not work perfect (as he wants it:)) at his AI start tests. Now I try to make the planes go perfectly straight down the runway without driving any curve while starting. To solve this problem i need the angles of each runway for the nimitz.

Cauz my english isnt the best, i try to get sure and explain it the other way around ;-) :

if the nimitz has a heading angle of 237.56 then i m nearly sure that runway 4 has the same angle of 237.56. But the angles of all other runways differ with a small value from that nimitz heading.

It would be very nice if someone could tell me that little difference angle for each of the runways 1, 2 and 3.

edit: i think i have the angles...

Edited by Sarogahtyp

with the following code the AI gets a perfect straight start at each runway :-)

the function needs some values so ... heres an call example (its very importent that u call JDogs \JDG_carrier\scr\nim_cat.sqf script instantly before the manual catapult start!):

hdl=[plane04, 4]execVM "\JDG_carrier\scr\nim_cat.sqf"; //JDogs Cata Snap In Script

hdl=[plane04, nimitz00, 4]execVM "cataself.sqf"; //acceleration and dir correction for AI Pilots

plane04 - in the example is the name of the aircraft object

nimitz00 - in the example is the name of the carrier object

4 - in the example is the number of the catapult as shown in JDogs Carrier Manual

_veh = _this select 0; //plane object

_nimitz = _this select 1; //nimitz object

_runway = _this select 2; //runway number

acc_pow = 6; // km/h or mph per step?

acc_len = 90; //speed limit, where acceleration stops

_v=20; //start velocity

// get the heading of the desired runway

_nimitz_dir = getDir _nimitz;

if(_runway == 1) then {_runway_dir = _nimitz_dir-5.;};

if(_runway == 2) then {_runway_dir = _nimitz_dir-1.7;};

if(_runway == 3) then {_runway_dir = _nimitz_dir-4.7;};

if(_runway == 4) then {_runway_dir = _nimitz_dir-.2;};

// accelerate plane

while{_v < acc_len }

do

{

(vehicle _veh) setvelocity [_v* sin (getdir (_veh)),_v * cos (getdir (_veh)),.1];

_v=_v+ acc_pow;

sleep 0.12;

// correct the heading of the plane

_cur_dir = getDir _veh;

_veh setDir _cur_dir - (_cur_dir - _runway_dir);

};

every movement behind the end of the runway is pilots work and those AI isnt the best pilot sometimes ;-)

edit 1: Im sorry but it doesnt work as i promised with this post... as i tested it at my pc at home it was perfect, but now i am at another pc and it fails :-(

i dont know on what it depends but i ll try to determine it...

edit 2: I updated the runway angles to the correct values provided by JDog. Plz ignore that last edit message cuz that code works fine ... being confused isnt a mistake :-)

Edited by Sarogahtyp

First off...

Does the carrier simulate things like movement direction, rough seas, and multiple arrestor hook wires?

...WHAT.

Second... Saro, thanks for trying to help out fellow forum members here :P Unfortunately it's a sad thing when I haven't touched my carrier in so long I have to look at my own manual to remember how to do things lol. Anyway I'm going to go ahead and take a look at the script I made (that you linked to) and this one you posted, see if I can figure anything out.

----------------------

UPDATE

Good job Saro. Maybe it's just that computer you were working on but at least for me that latest script you posted works for me for all catapult lines. The AI taxiing in planes is always going to be weird. Only ways I can think to remedy them moving on their own is either to briefly set fuel to 0 or temporarily remove then replace the pilot haha.

Also if you want the angles of the catapults, here they are in order (relative to the carrier's dir after being attached), taken from sys_catapult_2.sqf in the addon:

1: 355

2: 358.3

3: 355.3

4: 0.2

I'll definitely include your revised script in the next update whenever that will be!

Edited by JDog

okay ... as u said, everything is goin fine :-) ... i think i had a corrupted mission.sqf at this pc...

that taxiing problem ... did u try the following ?

doStop this; or/and

this disableAI "MOVE"; or/and

this flyInHeight 0;

that all i got in mind related to that problem :-)

dont think disableAI "MOVE" works when in planes, pretty sure I tried that before. Also if you guys haven't seen it in the WIP Discussion boards, check out a new animation I made for the carrier:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JumpDog2552

disable "ai" only works for vehicles if it is used on the the crew and then move them in driver etc.

Just putting it on a manned vehicle from the editor wont work.

Also,i am unsure if that will work with aircraft.I havnt tried that.

nice video ... where can i get this flight deck man ?

back to taxi: what u really need is an ILS Path System for ur carrier... the carrier should add itself as a runway to the map when it spawns.

i know that it is possible to add ILS Data to existing maps like utes as done with the Khe Sanh addon, but i dont know if its possible to add it on the fly when the carrier spawns...

That would be an unbeatable feature for ur carrier, but a lot of work too. It would be possible to autostart, autoland and autotaxi with it...

But Ive to admit, i have no idea how that can be done.