Sign in to follow this  
JDog

USS Nimitz

How should aircraft maintenance be arranged?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. How should aircraft maintenance be arranged?

• Refuel/Rearm/Repair all in one spot on flight deck
    • Refuel/Rearm between elevators 1&2, Repair in hangar bay
    • Rearm between elevators 1&2, Refuel towards rear of deck, Repair in Hangar bay

Wait the guide says to use setpos but I don't believe you put an example script in so I can't remember how to spawn stuff on it. :3

this setPos [getPos this select 0, getPos this select 1, x*];

*replace x with:

18=Deck

7=Hangar

12=Briefing room etc..

You can load the sample mission in the editor btw and look how it's done.

Edited by Derbysieger

Nice work man keep it up.

Spent more time just working on landing on it so I didnt even get to explore the whole of the addon. The IFLOLS system is sweet catapult was working well along with the arrestor cables.

One thing I did notice was I had landed a buddy came in for landing behind me, not waiting for the all clear and wrecked us both. We were using the Ikar's F14 so the wrecks just stayed as full planes, I then decided to try and blast them off the deck with my gun from another F14 and the front portion of the carrier droppped off and sank to sea level. It took many rounds before this occured,but none the less it did occur. The portion of the carrier that dropped was from the end of the landing runway to almost the tip of the bow. There was a small chunk of the bow still floating out in space. All the lights retained there positions it was only the hull itself that fell.

Lovin it though man just wanted to let you know that it occured.

good stuff, but as i'm admiral kuznetsov's fan, i'm not gonna be putting a foot on it, unless i'll decide to make some personal US vs. RU task force's airwing battle missions (as in ofp).

keep the updates coming and maybe gnat will be kindly forced to update kuznetsov. :)

some nostalgic multiplayer practices, from my field of view:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2894974323774333833#

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6103512857605990677#

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1813638550057881623#

deanosbeano and matt rochelle, you still remember this? xD still have 3 original vids on my HDD:D

oh and as you can see it dates back to 2006 september 18th O.O

once again, lovely work and I hope to see such kind of MP vids from Arma2 era ;)

oh and sorry for a little offtopic, but memories are hard to keep away, specialy when they are good ones.

Edited by Gedis

@Alex/Derby.... not sure how to make it visible farther out. I think the only reason the Khe Sanh is, is because its a static building built into the Utes map? If anyone knows how to feel free to tell me and I'll make it so.

@Mando... thanks for the heads up, I'll give it the same fix I gave Queen Liz.

@RabbleRouser, yea the Nimitz is made up of many seperate models so one model/object probably just "died", even though they're all set to be invulnerable, I guess it can still glitch and happen.

@Jdog

Well, with the script you posted and using unitcapture/unitplay I have some nice eye candy now of fighters (AI) taking off from the deck. They don't do anything but take off and once out of sight I delete them, but makes the deck feel alive with activity.

I did check my .rpt and this was spammed pretty hard in it. This error happens with or without AI taking off.

File JDG_carrier\scr\sys_arrestor.sqf, line 20

Error in expression <ile {nimCableReady == 1} do

{

_planes = nearestObjects [_arrestor, ["Plane"], _r>

Error position: <nearestObjects [_arrestor, ["Plane"], _r>

Error 0 elements provided, 3 expected

File JDG_carrier\scr\sys_arrestor.sqf, line 20

Nomad

The front part of the carrier also "sank" for me as well when i shot it with the GAU8 during a mission. i've been trying to recreate what happened ever since and i cant seem to do it. ive crashed planes into the deck (at 1300 knots), hit it with 230 GBU-12's, and even hit it with 5 MOABs simultaneously.

Amazing work JDOG. Thank you for your hard work. I was losing some creativity interest in A2CO and with ya release it's inspiring me to make some maps. thank you so much.

@Jdog, Very nice work.It has turned out excellent.:):)

In regards to the Ship not being seen from a distance,The cfgVehicles entries might benefit from the FeatureSize = 1000; entry that enables some vehicle and objects to be seen from further by cfg values.

Also, the distance the Ship can be seen from is relative to the viewdistance set and objet quality.

With object Quality on full i did some tests and got the following results -

If you use a 6000m viewdistance the ship will "pop up" at approx 3000m.

Using a viewdistance of 9000m ,the ship will pop up at approx 4600m.

And at 15000m the ship will pop up at approx 6500m.

In regards to the sounds, the vaules in the cfg for volumes should be approx 5 to 10db for now .They need individually set but for now those values should work fine.

Atm, the 0db values in the cfg tells the game to play the sample to virtually the player only.The sounds will only travel a couple of metres ,max.

Personally i reckon the IFLOS could be enabled at 4klm or maybe even 5klm out from the ship.

Thanks a million for this addon m8.It was worth the wait.:):)

Edited by ANZACSAS Steven

Just wanted to add my 2 cents that this is a great addon. Love the briefing room and the wall of photos and info. Very cool.

Not sure if you have a bug tracker or not, but I noticed the same LOD issues with the F35 and AV8B that someone else mentioned above. Also, the tractor seems pretty low rez now for some reason. I have a very high end PC, with most of my settings set pretty high.

Either way, great job so far. Looking forward to future updates but this is great so far. The launching off of the cat is a ton of fun.

@Steve, thanks for the comments. I tried using that FeatureSize entry but it doesn't seem to change anything, still pops in/out at 5000m or so for me with everything maxed, and 10k view distance. Also not sure what you mean by play to the player only with the sounds... don't think its all that important if the AI can hear the stuff right? :)

@Feint, yea I run everything maxed myself as well and I experience the same things. Like I said idk if its because of how many polys the carrier is (doubtful) or just because of how big it is.

even hit it with 5 MOABs simultaneously.

^awesome

The Game ingine is set to show statics and vehicles at a certain distance I believe. there may be something in an addon from PvPScene that may help in determining a way to set it up so that the Nimitz classnames are set to show up at a further distance. You would have to work it into the config.bin/.cpp file. http://pvpscene.net/wiki/doku.php?id=english:list_of_pvp_addons_and_mods:pvpscene_tweaks on that [age there are 2 addons StaticsVisibleatDistance and VehiclesVisibleatDistance not sure what it would be for the Nimitz but I would say probably vehicle, not that that would matter as long as it is added to the config for the Nimitz specifically. It may not help at all, but I thought it might be worth trying when you have some time to do so.

About the Nimitz piece falling to sea level we coudln't recreate it either one of our guys was trying his best to do it again after I told him it happened and it never occurred a second time.

Lovin it though man really nice work glad you released it a little early so we could all toy around with it. anxiously awaiting the finished product.

Finally had some time to check this.

Excellent work, especially when you consider this is your first (or second) addon.

You surely spent a lot of time and effort into making this work.

I had one script error while testing, however on the second attempt it was suddenly gone. Sometimes when walking around it's like you are drunk, but maybe I was just sea-sick already. :D

What you should add is an option to call the lifts from the hangar deck. I placed myself there and tried to get with my plane from there to the catapults and realised that I'm stuck there. Had to run up to the flight deck and lower the lift from there.

Got something to report... I was running on carrier deck when all of a sudden I started sliding from the bow (more or less around the back blast protectors) to almost the whole length. I finally stopped but cannot move without sliding across the deck..

Looked really funny...

@Jdog,

In Mp mode the sound mix becomes more important.Some sounds are fine but a couple prolly need a lil more travel.

This is the greatest addon ever. Not only does it look awesome, you have included way more than any other modeler would have done. I mean how many people will actually fill up the inside of the carrier or put people in all the rooms?

Most people would have just made it landable and maybe a bridge section. You went above and beyond. That's how all models should be done. Great work.

An idea I had or wondered was taxiing. I know you mentioned something about it. I think it would be good if you had some kind of automatic taxi when getting out of your aircraft.

I"m sure this would help in MP. Once I land, if I just get out (which people will likely do) Every other aircraft wanting to land will crash into it.

Especially if you are able to get autolanding to work. Maybe just have an aircraft tug on board that moves any abandoned aircraft within the landing strip area. Outside that area is no big deal.

I love this thanks. Now I just need to find a good F-18 Hornet addon

You can always place a towing traktor on the carrier and tow the plane to every place you want.

Edited by Derbysieger

@Wolle, thanks glad you were able to try it out. And yes I'll definitely be including a way to remotely control the elevators. Was already planned (and you can read it in the semi-hidden board inside the ship lol) but lots of people seem to want that. I can just make a panel on the walls in the hangar bay but not sure what to do on the flight deck really.

@Meatball, are you able to replicate that again? I'm guessing maybe you were minimized or lagged slightly when loading and the geometry models became ever-so-slightly offset and you slid on that instead of walked on the roadways. Cuz I've minimized once or twice while loading a mission and maximized to find parts of the ship slightly raised or lowered than others.

@Victim... greatest addon ever lol? Not so sure about that :P Much needed/wanted perhaps. Thanks for the praise lol but... first I don't think its possible for me to make an empty plane taxi itself. Even if I threw a bot in there it might still be difficult. Plus... I expect most people wouldn't be so lazy. In fact if you're in mp idk why you'd jump out of the plane right on the runway anyway, except for the unlikely event that mutant commando sharks board the ship and need dealing with.

Edited by JDog

no, i mean its a glitch with the elevator,

by using elevator, the plane or chopper must exact have a good position, the noise and the wings dont touch the wall from the ship

other problem, after time some vehicles planes and choppers are drop by the nimitz

after map start its all ok, no holes

(testet only in multiplayer, with arma2 and arrowhead= co)

anyone a idea to fix it, or is this better to place the nimitiz in the map with visitor3, or or with editor ingame???

@Jdog, nice work

Yay I caused another person to register haha.

@aLex... when going up or down on elevators, sometimes you may need to shoot the plane once so it "wakes up" and follows the elevator instead of becoming still and falling through it or rising above it.

@Vulc@no... not sure what you mean by vehicles getting dropped. the issue should only happen with the elevators and its because normal gravity simulation in the game sucks.

Alex you haven't really said why that is happening. Either you're starting the mission and that is happening, in which case you're using setPos at the wrong elevation, or the plane sinks into the elevator as the elevator rises, which as I've said before all you need to do is either shoot at the plane if you're outside it, or taxi forward slightly if you're in the cockpit.