Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: OA release candidate build 78473

Animation changes opinions  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Animation changes opinions

• Like the animation changes?
    • Dislike the animation changes? (post which, why please)

Its a good thing that switching to Pistol is made faster (should be faster then reloading) but everything else....not so good

Thanks for the video.

I'd like to test this myself but it is too risky for me without backing up my Arma folder.

I too wonder what is the reasoning behind this change? I don't recall seeing any posts or tickets about animation speed. A little speed increase might make for slightly more fluid feeling but as with every one else, the current change seems to dramatic. From the video anyway.

I too wonder what is the reasoning behind this change? I don't recall seeing any posts or tickets about animation speed. A little speed increase might make for slightly more fluid feeling but as with every one else, the current change seems to dramatic. From the video anyway.
I believe the biggest complaint since ArmA 1 at least from the PvP corner has been the animation system, too slow animations etc.

Not sure if this is what people were after though :))

Edited by Sickboy

Its a good thing that switching to Pistol is made faster (should be faster then reloading) but everything else....not so good
on the other hand...pistols don't play a notable role on the modern battlefield... I think they did last in the days of cavallry charges in pairs of Cal .58 muzzle loaders.

sure thing.

(minus the comparison part... too late to go back to previous version.)

41d1c3-4.jpg

Any changes on the turning speed and movement?

It's a shame that there isn't a way to test this via the traditional beta patch method. There is too much time wasted in going to a controversial (76% against?) RC and potentially having to reinstall to purge it.

ArmA2 movement speeds by default are already very, very fast for humans. Increasing that any further will do nothing but further break the realism of movement in the game, which has broad repercussions on the pace of combat, tactics, etc. It is a far-reaching change and based on what I've seen of this in the past, it is good-intentioned but poorly executed. Movement speeds should be brought down, not cranked up to CoD-levels. As to transition speeds and such - I'm less concerned with those, as the movement speeds are the ones that have the potential to massively and negatively affect the entire pace of the game.

Yep, for PvP gaming are these fast animations ok, but it doesnt look realistic and it's way too fast.

I guess there might be a few options to do quick tests with the new anims;

- One dude installs it, and distributes the anims pbo or a patcher for the anims pbo

- One dude installs it, creates a delta patch from the update, creates a delta patch to go back from updated to official 1.57, and distributes these patches.

Yep, for PvP gaming are these fast animations ok, but it doesnt look realistic and it's way too fast.

So...how can it be o.k. that way. Is MP intended to be Quake and SP not? This does not make sense since there should be alwas the same experience with focus on close to real world behaviour...and spider fast actions like drawing a SMAW from your back and shoot it like a Colt "Peacemaker" in less than 2 seconds is not. Damned I was measured once to take 1.2 seconds to just aim at a target and hit it in the black circle at 25m with a pistol already drawn but facing down 45° in startinf position. I Do this weekly for years now and im not bad in this kind of sport. Why do games labeled Simulation have to be faster as real life? Unpatient players?

Edited by Beagle

In my opinon AT weapons should have always been unloaded needing loading animation when you switch to them and changing weapons is a cumbersom affair that takes time in real life, you do not do this while standing on a free field, you need cover to prepare AT. AT weapons are like a dagger to a knights armour, only effective on surprise, never in a frontal attack. Changing stance is also something that takes time as you may have a total combat weight of 120kg...that makes everything slow. The sprinting was to fast also.

Agreed!

I would prefer to see missing transitions added to the game. The problem to me is not that certain actions take too long, but simply that some actions are not possible at all, forcing you into substitute transitions like switching back to your main weapon, just becasue you cannot crawl with a launcher.

There are plenty of tickets about these issues. I am sure you know how to find them.

sure thing.

41d1c3-4.jpg

Thanks. Though I hoped to get to see some AI group in action too, instead of mostly POV shots. But on the otherhand, I guess that already was enough, because...

:D what the...?!

What was that? Arma on steroids? While in POV it's really hard to judge, but looking at that guy from 3rd person view... wow. Dwarden? Go and get some sleep and drink more tea instead of coffee, hehehe

IMHO much of this looks ridiculous.

I mean, wow is that guy fast! Like in this...

fry_coffee2.jpg

fast.

:D (anyone remembers that episode (Futurama – Three Hundred Big Boys)? Dwarden? As a cooffeeoholic you should like it.. maybe as a good bedtime story before you finally go get some.. ;))

Edited by ruebe

Given only Yes or No I have to choose No, for the most part I think they look a bit daft. Given the option to choose individually I'd probably stick with the new Grenade transition/throw and maybe the pistol switch.

this seems to be a quick fix for:

1. unable to cancel/move on weapon transition animations

Q: is it really that hard to implement it, since from A2 torso and legs are two different parts of the animation?

2. liniar animation system, with very little interpolation for it - speeding it up the anims underlines this animation problem even more

Q: how hard would it be to implement a few new animations in some future patch? or even better, allow your community to contribute here by providing the tools/plugs for 3rd party software...

Edited by PuFu

Not much wrong with the old animations, speed up transition between rifle and gun as one example, but these new speeds are so wrong for me..

the animations changes went into right direction but missed the destination point :)

should have also concentrate on throwing while running grenade animation.

Edited by Smookie

Any changes on the turning speed and movement?

Oh yeah, turning is slowed down the lower your stance gets. I think it's a nice touch.

I like that BI is doing something with the animation speeds. Yes, some of the new animations are too fast , which makes them look fake\silly, but some of the old animations are too slow , again makes them look fake\silly.

Just, need to find the balance.

Personally, I use a couple of animation speed ups, like position change, grenade throw, and a couple of others.

Nomadd

Oh dear, doesn't look good at all, too fast, just speeding up animations doesn't always work as shown here, maybe another add-on to pay for enhanced animations that are captured again while others use the existing sped up.

For me the animations themselves were never a problem. The problems I often see (at least the ones that make me upset) are with interpolation and transitions. Often times the wrong transitions are selected, or there are just missing transition states altogether. There are also a lot of animations that are linked via interpolation, but the current interpolation algorithms often produce very odd movements (like your rifle shooting out of your hands while transitioning from stopped prone to crawling), especially with AI.

Agree with this, movement speed is a little to fast but as said above the ones that are issues is the animations transitions like when rifle moves out of hand when in prone position. Liking how BIS is putting some fixings in the animations but the speeds for this is a little to fast.

Even though I haven't tried this beta, (I like to get suprised when the patch comes out haha, and yes, I know I'm not helping BI by not testing)...but after watching videos on it, I can tell that is wayyy to fast.

Oh and Btw, Does the animation stuff, make weapon reloading faster aswell? (I hope not)...Because weapon reloading is way to fast as is now, reloading a SAW in about 3 seconds Isn't realistic. (I know this isn't all the way realistic, but That should be one thing about a lmg that needs to be fixed).

Since this new patch has brought the animation speed theme to the table, I'd like to recommend BI to tone down the speed for climbing ladders. Its ridiculous as it is.

Since this new patch has brought the animation speed theme to the table, I'd like to recommend BI to tone down the speed for climbing ladders. Its ridiculous as it is.

Abso-lu-te-ly :yeahthat:

Q: is it really that hard to implement it, since from A2 torso and legs are two different parts of the animation?

That's not so true. There are gestures which have a mask (basically for each bone, how much of the movement it should apply) and can be played over normal animations, but it seems these cannot be seperately interpolated/connected.

You guys should try it yourself from playing, rather than only watching a video

or even only looking at the animation ingame - you need to play the game.

My vote is for Gameplay over Visuals.

sure thing.

41d1c3-4.jpg

Thanks for the video. I would have to say (not having played it) that they actually look much better to me. The only ones I can see that might be too fast is the weapon switch and even then it isn't too bad.

The kneeling and such look perfect to me.

That being said, I may change my mind once I test it, but I'll have to vote for a keeper with a possible small tweak in the future.