Sign in to follow this  
maruk

Steam - opinions and experiences survey

Should BI make Arma 2 and/or future games Steam only?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Should BI make Arma 2 and/or future games Steam only?

• Yes, make Arma 2 and/or future BI games Steam only and Steamworks enabled
    • I am not sure, it depends... (please elaborate in your post)
    • No, please not Steam because... (please elaborate in your post)

But it's simple, Steam is the future in there is no arguing that.

If you had written "Digital Distribution is the future...." I would have agreed with you but as you stated it I say... not necessary.

I really hope we customers will continue to have alternative options like Sprocket/Direct2Drive/GamersGate/etc. (as well as Steam!) to buy future games/sims from!

Steam's services are obviously great for some of you but if you look around in this thread (and on the net) you can also read that for others Steam is not so great.

If game developers and/or publishers wants to have as many as possible customers "Steam Exclusive" is a bad choice.

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

Those group numbers are by far less representative than this poll is.

You don't have to own Arma on Steam in order to join those groups. I for one don't and I am a member irregardless. On top of that BIS held small "competitions" to encourage people to join (if there are X members by Y we will release some OA pics).

you dont have to own a bis game to register on this forum either. Anyway steam doesnt add anything substantial, it's just convienient if you already have it. Starcraft 2 proves you dont even need steam for a polished always-online system to work.

Edited by Leon86

No no no! And again NO! Please BIS do not do this!

I have a steam account with a decent ammount of games, but there is always problems with it! + Steam support is just horrible!

No no no! And again NO! Please BIS do not do this!

I have a steam account with a decent ammount of games, but there is always problems with it! + Steam support is just horrible!

I must disagree with you because I bought both DLC on Sprocket and I was contented. But the box with a small present is great too :).

But I understand BIS because these releases are more expensive than steam releases.

Edited by chicago

Try a poll to see if the majority would simply prefer a digital download rather than a retail hard copy but leave Steam out of the equation.

I am not averse to digital download (which then can be copied to a disc if you want a hard copy) , simply not through Steam with all it's accompanying overhead.

Steam is great. I love the fact that after I build or rebuild a PC I can just install the steam client, check off all the games I own before I go to bed and they will download, install, update with latest patches and be ready to play when I get up in the morning.

The only downside in my mind is that the pricing for downloadable games should be much lower than the their disc based counterparts, but it typically is not with Steam. I can usually get the retail packaged game for substantially less on Amazon.

Straighten out the pricing thing and Steam will own the gaming world.

Steam's great and all, but I definitely feel like I've run into problems I wouldn't have if I hadn't gotten the game that way.

For example, I still can't play online using Combined Operations even after searching and attempting to use the fixes provided due to an "Invalid CD Key" error, and there's almost a limit on how many addons you can use due to the launch options parameter in Steam only accepting a certain amount of characters.

Not Sure at the moment but.....

I had no problems with CO on steam. I just bought it 4 weeks ago and I have not dealt with the GB extra large patches everyone else is talking about. If there is a way to make the steam patches the same size as other patches, then it's yes for me.

If any other issues that are mentioned by other users can be fixed then it's also a yes from me.

I just quit Steam completely.

Used it first to get Arma 2, worked good, got 2 expansions, worked for a while.

Then last week major problems logging in Arma 2 would go black. Last night it I never could log in at all.

Went out n got a new boxed version of Arma 2.

They got their 100 bucks outa me, never again. Garbage.

I will buy all the Arma 2 boxed stuff I can find. Never anything from Steam. Even though THEY have my games, I uninstalled Steam.

Arma is great. I will not be held hostage.

Cheers.

But it's simple, Steam is the future in there is no arguing that.
Ok I will, its the future that we "accept" .. its not set in stone.
Does steam have flaws, yes will it matter in the next 2-3 years no.
Steam has flaws, its clear enough by all reactions to it they are not made up stories will it matter in a few years, yes, if its still as shit and then you have no say in the matter as it "owns" as they say.

As most PC game will be Steam only in I can guarantee that.

Shareholder?

So if you love PC gaming as much as I do, at some point you will have to accept that. Or stop playing PC game all together.

No you argue against it, plus you missed one major point, why does it have to be steam, out of online service they seem to be the shittest but most used, so to some degree what about "sprocket only" ? I would accept on-line digital download only if it isnt under the model that steam is, I would rather have as sprocket is ... "heres your download data, heres your key, register it ... thanks, have a nice day" .. not "lock me in your never ending sub bubble I cannot escape from" steam format.

I dont think people have issues so much with digital distribution, no one thinks that isnt the future, but here people are noticing that "of all things why steam, its shit". The other 3 million or so just accept it, but I bet you they piss and moan enough with issues outside of that.

Edited by mrcash2009

Thank you very much for the feedback it is going to be useful for us in planning future releases.

The poll is over for now so we can also close this topic.