Sign in to follow this  
maruk

Steam - opinions and experiences survey

Should BI make Arma 2 and/or future games Steam only?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Should BI make Arma 2 and/or future games Steam only?

• Yes, make Arma 2 and/or future BI games Steam only and Steamworks enabled
    • I am not sure, it depends... (please elaborate in your post)
    • No, please not Steam because... (please elaborate in your post)

Voted yes.

The way I see it:

Pros

- Devs can focus on one version instead of 2 versions (Steam and retail), which means they can devote more time and resources on improving the actual game (better game!).

- Due to the previous reason, there will be better support for patches and whatnot (no more patching problems).

- Assuming the devs don't change their minds, you can still start the game without running steam (play offline).

- You can still run mods (full mod/beta support).

- The more people access the game on Steam, the more popular it will be on Steam, which means there will be an increase in Steam's viral advertising (free marketing and increased popularity).

- Due to the previous reason, the game will probably sell better, which means more money for the devs, which could mean we will get an even better game (better game!).

Cons

- You have to run Steam to install the game or apply patches.

- People with a slow internet connection or a bandwidth limit will have a problem.

- People with previous problem and people who boycot Steam possibly won't buy the game.

- Due to making more money, BIS could change into a corporation that doesn't care about its customers... :p

I think the pros outweight the cons, but that's just my wild guess. Are there any more cons? I couldn't think up anything else.

- Due to making more money, BIS could change into a corporation that doesn't care about its customers... :p.

It would take more than steam me thinks.

My only experience with Steam was a year or two ago when I bought a game (can't remember which one) and had to go through Steam to get it working properly, it was quite a hassle, maybe I was just too PC-illiterate I dunno.

But ever since, if I've heard that a new game requires Steam, i've tended to avoid it and move on somewhere else..

Voted no for the following reasons

1. Difficulties running mods,(i'd love an easy solution to this btw)

2. The Bloatware

3. Downloading updates can take ages on steam

I think that having both a steam version and a retail boxed game would be the best option, and i'm sure many members of the community will agree.

Voted no for the following reasons

1. Difficulties running mods,(i'd love an easy solution to this btw)

Create shortcut to ArmA2OA.exe in your OA install folder... then do the same as always...

"D:\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\ArmA2OA.exe" -nosplash -world=empty -showScriptErrors -profiles=profiles -mod=Expansion;@CBA;@ACE;@ACEX;@ACEX_SM;@JayArma2Lib;@ACRE;@ACEX_RU;@ACEX_USNavy;@UOMods -cpuCount=4 -window -noFilePatching

What is hard about that?! Its just like any other retail version.... :rolleyes:

You can't beat solid boxed disks in your hands because you know where you are with them. I've got store-bought AA2 and OA on separate disks, and combined them into Comb Ops.

Like I always say- disks are forever but downloads are only until your next PC crash.

For example I bought Virtual Sailor by download a while back, then later my PC crashed and when I asked for a free replacement d/load I was told "sorry, you'll have to pay again"

Catch my drift?

Why can't we have a Steam & Sprocket version? Then people who don't want Steam for whatever reason can still DL, burn, and play with a DVD. I don't think an actual retail DVD box on shelves is necessary

You can't beat solid boxed disks in your hands because you know where you are with them. I've got store-bought AA2 and OA on separate disks, and combined them into Comb Ops.

Like I always say- disks are forever but downloads are only until your next PC crash.

For example I bought Virtual Sailor by download a while back, then later my PC crashed and when I asked for a free replacement d/load I was told "sorry, you'll have to pay again"

Catch my drift?

Steam has never had that issue. Ever.

No,

Forcing yourself to only one digital-distribution channel makes no sense for any publisher , developer or consumer.

If Valve suceeds in getting to a position where they control the market , then all we can hope for is the EU commission and I doubt they will care about a bunch of gamers.

:yay: Hooray for the demise of any good computer gaming.

[As of this moment they fucked up Il2 too]

I think there are a lot of misconceptions about Steam in this thread. sigh..

Agreed.

Up until I had that account disabled problem, Steam worked flawlessly. This is partly why I was so pissed when that happened. My issue is strictly with their poor support and has nothing to do with the software or distribution methods. It simply works.

All that being said, I will still have second thoughts about buying future games from Steam.

Misconceptions? You can call it what you want but here is another reason why this kind of on-line account DRM stuff is a bad thing...

That’s the lesson BioWare forum user Arno has learned in the last 24 hours, after an ill-advised comment on the BioWare forums has led to his EA account being locked, such that he cannot play his purchased copy of Dragon Age 2 for 72 hours.

It reveals a clause in the terms of service that accompany buying an EA game that will surprise the vast majority who do not read the microprint. Misbehave in the forum (as Arno fully admits he did), and you can have your right to play a legitimately purchased game taken away from you. Forever, if they want to.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/03/11/ea-forum-bans-can-lock-you-out-of-games/

It wasn't Steam this time but I'm sure they cover their a** in similar style, have you read all the fineprint in yours Steam terms?? Some of you don't realise (or care) how much power you are turning over to them when buying into this...

If you really wan't to do that fine with me, it's your money. But don't expect everyone to swallow this BS and blindly follow like a lemming because it's the flavor of the month!

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

However Steam insist on your forums user account NOT being tied to your main Steam game account, so this would never happen, just saying...

I think it depends, STEAM always release updates and titles a few days back (This is very annoying)

However Steam insist on your forums user account NOT being tied to your main Steam game account, so this would never happen, just saying...

I'm not just thinking about forums, there are other reasons for your account potentionally being locked, like hacked accounts, falsely being detected for using cheats or tampering with files, software bugs. So regarding "would never happen" I wouldn't be so sure and why take the risk in the first place?

Again if you like what they offer and accept all of this (IMO BS) and want to spend your money on it thats fine but as you can see lots of people do not and all we say is that we want all this to be optional and not forcefeed.

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

Steam has a selection of games about 1000 times bigger than my local games stores.

They're cheaper, a lot of the games I own on Steam I've paid a 10th of the cost retail, since Steam has a lot of sales and discount offers on entire publisher catalogs, etc.

I've got my games and "friends" in one place, communicating and joining their game is a breeze. I also have way more people to play with thanks to Steam.

All my games are updated automatically with current patches.

I have access to all my games from all computers I use. It doesn't matter if I'm in a different country, a different room in my house. I can download and delete all games as many times as I want, on as many computers as I want.

Thanks to the new Steam guard I can lock my account to computers I choose so that cuts down on the hacking risk.

During the years I've had a Steam account my account has been lost (e-mail account old and not in use anymore, I've forgot user names, passwords) and hacked. I've never had a problem getting my account with all my games back.

I own aprox. 80 games on Steam, many of them I'd otherwise never even know of.

I don't have to worry about discs being lost, broken, scratched.

I voted no, I don't like steam, I have a pretty crappy internet connection so downloading huge games and their similarly huge patches is no fun. I also don't like how steam forces you to download updates which usually invalidate save files, mods and a host of other things as well as its need to be constantly running in the background. I have Sins of a Solar Empire which uses Stardock (similar to steam) and the only time i ever need to run Stardock is to download a patch, its brilliant.

You guys have it going good at the moment, people are free to buy it in a store or through steam or any number of other digital retailers available to them, people have the freedom of choice.

Sure it's more work, but it is also more money in your pocket too.

Also seriously guys it isn't that hard to look after a disc, just don't put it down on any surfaces or drop it and transfer it directly from the cd drawer to the case. Also you don't need to use the disc when running Arma 2 anymore so you only need it when you first install it.

EDIT: saw a couple of posts with people who were having issues with patching, next time before installing a patch copy the arma directory into a temporary folder, if the patch process stuffs up just delete it and copy your backup back again, it saves having to reinstall the whole game again. Once you're done make sure to delete the temporary folder to free up some Hard drive space.

I voted with a big yes. I only buy my games on Steam and never in stores or other sites.

Fundamentally Steam is VALVE - One of the few games publishers with a reputation worth a damn.

If Steam was run by any other company like EA I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. As it is Steam has flourished, as have the myriad of small software companies that publish their games on it.

Once BIS get the hang of releasing games via steam then esp. the Combined Arms type problems, it should be good.

BA

Steam has a selection of games about 1000 times bigger than my local games stores.

They're cheaper, a lot of the games I own on Steam I've paid a 10th of the cost retail, since Steam has a lot of sales and discount offers on entire publisher catalogs, etc

I tend to have lots of luck on e-Bay finding discounted games that come complete with DVD and manual(s).

Have Steam but haven't used it in ages.

Besides , after ArmA2 CO what else is out there to garner any interest? They're all simply re-hashes (sequels) of previous titles.:rolleyes:

Could be.

Please list the advantages/disadvantages of Steam to put us all in the picture..:)

(the bottom line seems to be do we really NEED steam?)

Could be.

Please list the advantages/disadvantages of Steam to put us all in the picture..:)

(the bottom line seems to be do we really NEED steam?)

Bunch of misinformed individuals.

the bottom line seems to be Steam is a great platform?

Over 20 games here on Steam, never had an issue over the past 5 or so years. What is the scary thing that causes you all to not like it? (Outside of apparent arma patching)

Steam is an excellent example of a gaming platform, that connects you all. That millions are happy with. (Not a few disgruntled sim fams)

What is the scary thing that causes you all to not like it? (Outside of apparent arma patching)

Read the thread.