Sign in to follow this  
maruk

Steam - opinions and experiences survey

Should BI make Arma 2 and/or future games Steam only?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Should BI make Arma 2 and/or future games Steam only?

• Yes, make Arma 2 and/or future BI games Steam only and Steamworks enabled
    • I am not sure, it depends... (please elaborate in your post)
    • No, please not Steam because... (please elaborate in your post)

I can't imagine I'd want to be one of the unfortunate people who bought OA on steam and have to deal with the hash of a solution to get combined ops working

I really dont get this... I have A2 and OA on steam, and getting CO working was as easy as creating a new shortcut. Its really not rocket science, how the eff do people keep struggling with this?

I voted yes, because it makes my life so much easier not having to drag godamn disks and their associated crap around with me everywhere I go.

I really dont get this... I have A2 and OA on steam, and getting CO working was as easy as creating a new shortcut. Its really not rocket science, how the eff do people keep struggling with this?

I voted yes, because it makes my life so much easier not having to drag godamn disks and their associated crap around with me everywhere I go.

Yea, make a shortcut pointing to the addons folder in your ArmA2 installation directory.

Another solution (the one I prefer, since I can make longer mod lines in a shortcut, damn you windows) is to make a symlink in windows 7 (you can also do it in XP, but its a bit harder, since the commands are not built into the OS) to the addons folder in the arma 2 dir.

Its literally one DOS command, you only ever have to run it once, and its done. Just start OA normally, even from steam and it starts up as CO. :)

Hiya NouberNou,

Thanks for answering my bullet points and if I could return the favour?

1. Steam isnt the right platform? You backed up my point by stating "minus some of the trickery in getting CO to work.". That was the point.

2. Please elaborate. I have 3 shortcuts on my desktop with different command lines. Can you do this with Steam?

3. So you wouldn't have to download the full game again to run a Beta?

4. You are correct on that mate, I just checked mine and its at less than 10mb.

5. That was a point being made within a question.

6. Of course I realise that, but is that the case that patches would be delayed because of Steam validation?

7. Point taken.

8. Point taken however, the player base would be extremely unhappy because the actual cost of new expansions etc would be more than buying a physical DVD / Sprocket download. Usually Steam is the most expensive option in my opinion.

But please lets not start a flame war etc, these are constructive arguments, lets keep it that way.

Dale

Hiya NouberNou,

Thanks for answering my bullet points and if I could return the favour?

1. Steam isnt the right platform? You backed up my point by stating "minus some of the trickery in getting CO to work.". That was the point.

2. Please elaborate. I have 3 shortcuts on my desktop with different command lines. Can you do this with Steam?

3. So you wouldn't have to download the full game again to run a Beta?

4. You are correct on that mate, I just checked mine and its at less than 10mb.

5. That was a point being made within a question.

6. Of course I realise that, but is that the case that patches would be delayed because of Steam validation?

7. Point taken.

8. Point taken however, the player base would be extremely unhappy because the actual cost of new expansions etc would be more than buying a physical DVD / Sprocket download. Usually Steam is the most expensive option in my opinion.

But please lets not start a flame war etc, these are constructive arguments, lets keep it that way.

Dale

1. Thats BIS's fault, not Steam.

2. I have a folder on my desktop of like 30 shortcuts I use for developing in ArmA2, below is an older screen shot of that folder (its grown rapidly the last few weeks because of some new stuff for ACE)

shortcuts.png

3. No, you just install the beta from the same place anyone else gets the beta and it works just the same, there is nothing different about it.

4. :)

5. It would be nice if they did something about the MP lobby in ArmA2, sometimes its fairly unwieldy, but I only play on one or two servers in one community mostly so its fine for me.

6. The patches are usually 24 hours or so later than the patches for the hardcopy/sprocket version, and there is no Steam validation process, its mainly the packaging process that takes the extra time. I have been in enough chatrooms with Dwarden around patch time to realize that it can be cumbersome, but it is something they are working on at BIS. This wouldn't matter though if the games were only released on steam though, because you'd only get the patches on Steam, so everyone would be getting them at the same time. :p

7. :)

8. The cost of the expansions has been pretty much the same, either on sprocket, steam, or hardcopy.

I say no; unless there's also a DVD/non-Steam option. I don't mind Steam too much; but any games that I use a lot of addons/mods (Arma, Fallout, SALKER, etc.), I like more control over where my files/folders go.

I only use Steam to buy console ports i.e. games that aren't mod-able. Having Steam in the way of being able to more easily change files & folders would suck IMO

Edited by No Use For A Name

Constructive points...

I still don't like it even after your salient answers.

I will still stay no until BIS can sort out the following:

1. BIS sort out the annoyance of CO and Steam.

2. Not quite sure I believe that installing Betas is that easy, from this thread the majority say that it isn't. This is not the case for you but for others it is...

3. MP lobby and friends list gets "integrated" somehow.

4. Reference the patches (no 6), if the "cumbersome" can be ironed out then so be it.

5. In my experience, buying stuff off Steam at launch is always more expensive than other methods.

If the above can be sorted then I will change my opinion / choice.

I still don't like it even after your salient answers.

I will still stay no until BIS can sort out the following:

1. BIS sort out the annoyance of CO and Steam.

2. Not quite sure I believe that installing Betas is that easy, from this thread the majority say that it isn't. This is not the case for you but for others it is...

3. MP lobby and friends list gets "integrated" somehow.

4. Reference the patches (no 6), if the "cumbersome" can be ironed out then so be it.

5. In my experience, buying stuff off Steam at launch is always more expensive than other methods.

If the above can be sorted then I will change my opinion / choice.

Installing betas is only hard (and this is true, steam or otherwise) because you have to point to a different exe and folder... The process is the exact same on any other platform. I have helped dozens and dozens of people install and run betas on a number of set ups... (ACRE has an "official" community at United Operations and both Jaynus and I are regularly on there and helping people with all sorts of technical issues).

As for the price, maybe that depends on where you are from, but in the US it seems like its the same price for box or Steam. I prefer Steam because you do not have to keep track of the physical media or CD keys and Steam is a viable long term platform with a good future. There is no download limits, and even the "online" requirement is not exactly true, there is an offline mode. With ArmA2 betas you can even skip Steam altogether (it doesn't use the Steam verification). If Steam is ever shut down they have promised to make it so that all games purchased are playable with out the platform.

Way I figure it, I've met people who've had trouble with it; for every one person that asks and finds out there's 5 that haven't and have a worse experience of the game than they expected as a result.

Because they want to consolidate their distribution methods and make it much cheaper to distribute their product. Right now they have physical media and multiple direct download methods, including Steam. That is a logistical problem that eats into funds that could be better spent elsewhere like advertising or other things related to selling.

As BI can't handle any stable patching process (i'm burning a candle each time i'm patching the game so that i don't have to reinstall the whole bunch once again), i think the steam only solution would solve this. But the money they would gain on "consolidating the distribution method" will cost them customers refusing the "steam way".

Voted yes. On servers people would be adding each others to friends list and we could arrange Coops or go play warfare more easily. I've used Steam for a loooong time and no problems so far. DLC distribution would be effortless and swift, same with patching.

Edited by Arksa

No, please not Steam because...

I don't always have a fast internet connection, depending on where I am. Steam just adds additional stuff that I don't need or use and becomes a nuisance that's not necessary to play the game.

and becomes a nuisance that's not necessary to play the game.

There's a reason it's popular though.

There's a reason it's popular though.

It's popular because there are very good sales every once in a while. I have 91 Steam games, all bought in sales or costing less than 6 euros at full price. I would never buy bigger releases at full price because when you buy a Steam game, the game will be yours forever and you'll never see even a fraction of those 50 euros unless you sell the whole account.

It would be helpful if the distinction between the sales that are offered through the Steam store and Steamworks as a DRM scheme are recognised.

(This is in no way an attack on Celery's statement regarding Steam's popularity)

The amount of times I have had people defend Steam requirements "due to it's sales" is wearing a little thin however. You can sell through Steam's store without having to (dependant on opinon) "burden" the user with Steamworks also. If people wish to buy through Steam and run through its client, then great if it suits them. It's an option that gets you money and the consumer their game, just as Sprocket, Impulse, Gamersgate, GOG, Direct2Drive are all also viable options and depending on location, connection type or regional pricing can be much more preferable than Steam's store.

The DRM is the issue that Steamworks is. For those that have no problem with it, lucky you. I've had no problems with GFWL, Rockstar Social Club, Securom, Tages, Disc Checks, Serial Keys or Release Date Checks. Steam however has been nothing but a problem for the four years that on various occasions I have tried using it. However if say GFWL or Securom are mentioned then the wails of them being the source of all evil resound for miles around.

Options are good, rescrictions will only loose sales.

Edited by Hicks_09
Clarify statement

As BI can't handle any stable patching process (i'm burning a candle each time i'm patching the game so that i don't have to reinstall the whole bunch once again), i think the steam only solution would solve this. But the money they would gain on "consolidating the distribution method" will cost them customers refusing the "steam way".

I have never had a single issue with any of the patches. We're talking all the way back to Arma 1 here.

I have never had a single issue with any of the patches. We're talking all the way back to Arma 1 here.

I'm very happy for you, but it happens for me every other patch and i'm very far from being alone if you go from time to time in the TS forum. And for my part it's going worse with Win7, i don't (even want to) know why.

I'm very happy for you, but it happens for me every other patch and i'm very far from being alone if you go from time to time in the TS forum. And for my part it's going worse with Win7, i don't (even want to) know why.

Again, the patching issue is NOT a Steam issue, its a BIS issue, if and when there is one. If Steam was their only platform then you'd imagine they'd make damn sure their updates worked.

Voted: NO

I prefer my games to be steam free... I tried it and I just didn't like it.

if I wish to have another program running besides the game I feel one should at least have a choice.

Heck I would be more then willing to pay extra to support it's makers if that would mean I could buy and use their game without having to deal with steam.

I don't care about friendlist and all other stuff that comes with it.

I like to be able to control where I install a game, not by some complicated way to get around it.

I don't care much for the auto update system, happy to update things myself.

I don't wish to connect through some unwanted third party software

I don't wish to be confronted with problems concerning steam that will result me not being able to play arma2 for whatever reason.

Personal Computer.. Personal Choice!

Don't take away the choice by publishing your games through steam only!

Thank you for giving us the freedom of choice that will enable us

to enjoy your great game now and in the future!

S~ Happy

(purchased DLC: BAF and PMC online, no problems with this, but still prefer hardcopy)

Edited by happy

I have the Steam version and it works perfect. Just using Steam for the downloading. After the download you can actually UNINSTALL Steam and use a launcher instead. Works great even with online gaming. I've tried that in W7 and XP. And I use a ramdisk as well.

However, I'm not liking the idea with Steam only. Forcing you to actually have Steam running and such. But the way it works today is great.

zzZzzZZzzZZZ Good night!

Yea, why would I have to motivate my choice? I don't like Steam and don't want to use it. :smile:

Isn't that a sufficient reason? I want freedom of choosing whichever platform I prefer.

Edited by Lonestar

Skimming on A2 related stuff after a lil break, stumbling on this one.

No Steam only, plz.

Inability to retrieve patches from 3rd party sources and being forced to do everything from home PC : no way

Downloading full game at each patch, from home : no way

These 2 items, to put it simply, means no more BI product for me if they are Steam only, in the current Steam + A2 state.

Even if the patching is improved to only download the patch, being forced to do everything from home is a big no go for me. I usually take advantage of other place's available bandwidth to download everything on a laptop and push it on my home PC afterwards.

Being forced to have Steam running in the background, taking some decisions for me, is also not something I like

I've been using Sprocket since ArmA

I've never encountered a single issue. It works flawlessly, doesn't install anything in the background, it's flexible, doesn't require DVD in drive.

I'll continue using Sprocket as long as it is possible, tbh

Steam is good but downloading huge patches and updates is a pain unless you have fast connections. It is also distinctly non-mod friendly. The ability to buy a boxed version of a game, install it and THEN link it to steam is VERY cool.

Steam is good but downloading huge patches and updates is a pain unless you have fast connections. It is also distinctly non-mod friendly. The ability to buy a boxed version of a game, install it and THEN link it to steam is VERY cool.

How is it not mod friendly? You can load ArmA2 from a shortcut just like any other version of the game, or use a launcher, there is nothing special that has to be done because it is the Steam version.

If Steam was their only platform then you'd imagine they'd make damn sure their updates worked.
Conversely, if Steam was dropped as a distro they wouldn't have to devote time and thus could divert those man-hours on the game itself, yet you don't see members here suggesting that.