Sign in to follow this  
genesis92x

Degeneration V2.10 -Zombie Reign-

Degeneration V3.00

The Zombie Reign. The Human Fall.

This is a revival of the old Degeneration that was originally planned for A2...but due to events it was never released.

====================================================

!Recent News!

Degeneration V3.00 Beta Release

Degeneration 3.00 is much better from before. I went back to V.84 because of the amount of issues V.90 was causing. Having a client/host version really mucks things up and makes it hard for me to help other who are having issues if they don't even have the mod set-up correctly! So! I went back to the Undead Mod V.84 and just created a few plugins in the mission to "plug" the bugs of V.84.

But, what's new?

• Script lag/etc should be reduced.
  • Every 30 minutes, dead bodies will sink into the ground and be deleted (Done upon request)
  • More hostile civlians added
  • Ability to choose time of day
  • New playable slots that spawn randomly over entire map (US Soldiers)
  • Zombies should work this time around with the plug I installed into the mission
  • Added more storyline events! Look for them! Read the notes!
  • Uses Undead Mod V.84! Please make sure you convert! Sorry! :(
  • Zombie dogs have been removed for now
  • Mission is now persistant. Even when all the players are logged off, the mission will continue on dedicated server.
  • Runs much better on dedicated servers, tested it with my own computer. (That has like a .1 upload speed)

That's it! You can get the mission here!

Again, I apologize for the slow start of this mission. I didn't forsee these issues...

====================================================

Description

A good friends story for Degeneration:

The ground softly shifted under my weight, as I slid down the tree I was leaning against. Able to rest for only a moment, I began to think about what I always thought about when I had time to myself. The scent of burning fires, stale gunpowder, and rotting flesh, helping to jog my memory. For ten years, I had worked this area, hand in hand with Takistanians and Americans, in an attempt to give us all a better world. A volunteer work force of over ten-thousand United States citizens, to help rebuild Takistan from the recent wars. I don't think anyone could of seen this coming. Hell, I'm in the middle of it, and I still don't believe it's happening. Since the weeks that have gone by, I have heard rumors from evil scientists to UFOs, and everything imbetween. Personally, I don't really care where they came from. All I know is, they die with enough bullets in them, and that's enough knowledge for me. Now that I finally have a radio, which was obtained from a fallen Takistani guard, god rest his soul, I've gotten some info on small pockets of survivors. The USMC and US Army have apparently set up a sizeable garrison in Rasman, and that's where I intend to be by nightfall tomorrow. Being on foot is horrible in this forsaken land, but at I least I can see them coming easier than if I was traveling by vehicle. Besides, you really need only two things to survive here: A steady hand, and an even steadier supply of ammunition.

Degeneration is a sandbox zombie survival game that mainly uses Charon's Undead Mod. Many other scripts that are written by very smart scripters are used as well, if you want to find out what is used you can download the un-pbo version of Degeneration and take a look for yourself!

Goal

What? You have to design missions that have a goal? Well shucks. Degeneration really does not have an end point. In-fact, if you beat Degeneration (killing all the zombies) I will call hacks on you very quickly. The odds are very stacked against the player(s) (1,000,000,000 to 1) The goal of Degeneration can be whatever the players want it to be. Do you want to try to attempt as many side missions as possible? Do you want to just sit in a corner of the map and sing by a camp fire? Do you want to ruthlessly hunt down the zombies and try to help the poor towns? Do you want to set-up a fortress surrounded by trip mines and landmines and static weapons so you can sleep peacefully in the night? Do you want to go from town to town trying to find people you can recruit to help you fight the zombies?

What-ever the goal, you make it and you do it. For those that need an end to a mission, try killing every last zombie. Every. Last. Single. Zombie.

Required Addons

- ArmA 2

- The Undead Mod

- Advanced Combat Environment 2 - Core

- Advanced Combat Environment 2 - eXtras

- Community Base addons

- ACE_SYS_NUKE (included)

Setting

Degeneration takes place in Takistan and it involves the entire map. Yup. All of Takistan. Each town (and a few added towns/safezones/Evacuationzones) adds up to a total of 34 areas that the zombies virtual infection system can infect and spread their virtural love to other towns.

Spawning

Ammunition? Weapons? Pffftttttttt. Starting with weapons is for babies and little children! Are you a baby/child? In Degeneration you can have your pick of any civilian in the multiplayer set-up screen, once you load in you will be randomly spawned in a town that cordinates with that slot. 1 player per town, so your friends will not be close by! Once you load in, you will quickly realize that you have no weapons! No matter, then try to hit M to check your map. GASP!! You have no map either! No map, no compass, no nothing. In Degeneration you will spawn with nothing at all. Naked and perfect zombie food. (Well you have clothes)

Gear

I will not go in-depth into the gear system. Just know that there are 330 different (and growing) assortments of weapons and gear. How do you get this gear you ask? Simple! Scavenge! Scavenge! Scavenge! What? is that a dead doctor? You better loot his body and see if he has any antidote on him!

Each area (34 of em) has a magnitude of vehicles that can spawn within them. To ensure different game-play each time, this system is randomized. Rather then going on in a long sentence about how the spawning system works, I will give you an example.

Chak Chak

There are 50 vehicles that have a chance to spawn.

25% of those vehicles must have pistol spawns in them.

The remaining vehicles can have anything spawned into them.

Based on the type of weapon and amount of ammunition, the spawning chance of those 50 vehicle are changed.

A car that has a pistol with 2 magazines has a 45% chance to spawn.

A car that has a sniper with 2 magazines has a 10% chance to spawn.

So the total number of vehicles in Chak Chak will never reach 50. Probably around 10-25.

Side Missions

Side missions are totally optional and consist of saving people/killing people/getting things. They usually give you vehicles or weapons that are usually not obtainable any other way. This is just another aspect added for the players that wanted another thing to do.

Saving?

You will not get far in Degeneration before you are forced to let real life take back over and get some sleep. BUT do not worry! I have tested it multiple times and saving will not break Degeneration! I even gave the players a radio command to "Debug" the zombies in case they suspect the zombies are broken!

So...All in all?

All in all, Degeneration is a sandbox zombie killing mission and I can't really write down everything about it here. I will let the players find out what it has to offer (A lot of secrets and hidden things!). It is a sandbox mission and just that-the players can bring and take what they want from it. I will be releasing the un-pbo version of the mission too so people can easily mod it.

Edited by Genesis92x
Updated

oh man if this would work with mso in some sort of way... we could have some great times.

Good luck on the release!

I'm worried for Charon. He's been in close contact with me when he got Predator ready for Lingor. Shorty after the posted Croc addon I've lost contact. I'll try to make more contact as I have some of his RL info...

Genesis92x, couple (*wink) of questions:

Are there any army bases present?

Are there any NPCs that have a storyline importance?

Are there any ammo crates/stashes instead of vehicles?

Is there a way to spawn a military group that is unfriendly to you and also patrols the region?

Is there a gas shortage for the vehicles present?

Would there be a option that after couple of hours you recieve info that chopper is inbound that will pick up survivors at one of 3 random locations and you have a limited time before it takes off again?

If I make a new island, how hard would it be for you to convert the mission to it?

Edited by IceBreakr

Hi there I have never tried a zombie mod in ARMA2 but this makes me want to try it with my mates on me dedicated server.

If I set the missions to persistent in the server config and not bother saving how will this work? so if I log off and then rejoin will I loose all my gear?.

Thanks

Sounds awesome. I can't wait to give it a go. Would this mission work in Singeplayer aswell?

Hey jamie1992 haha long time no see (Damn Genesis92x you got me bro to start posting back in here).

I said to me bro I will run this on me dedi server I hope it work in persistent mode?.

Hey jamie1992 haha long time no see (Damn Genesis92x you got me bro to start posting back in here).

I said to me bro I will run this on me dedi server I hope it work in persistent mode?.

Yus well I couldn't help but post. :P Anyhoo back to point. Defo can't wait to try this, and play it with my brother (STK) etc. :D

I'm worried for Charon. He's been in close contact with me when he got Predator ready for Lingor. Shorty after the posted Croc addon I've lost contact. I'll try to make more contact as I have some of his RL info...

Yeah...I actually am worried for him too, I do not have any of his RL info so I can not contact him...I can however take an educated guess as to what happened to Charon...I think he is alive and kickin but without the interwebz.

Genesis92x, couple (*wink) of questions:

Are there any army bases present?

Are there any NPCs that have a storyline importance?

Are there any ammo crates/stashes instead of vehicles?

Is there a way to spawn a military group that is unfriendly to you and also patrols the region?

Is there a gas shortage for the vehicles present?

Would there be a option that after couple of hours you recieve info that chopper is inbound that will pick up survivors at one of 3 random locations and you have a limited time before it takes off again?

If I make a new island, how hard would it be for you to convert the mission to it?

1)Yes. The few remaining US soldiers are at "safe zones" and "evacuation zones" which go to the safe zones after the nuke goes off. (As soon as I can get the nuke working again...The ACE team likes to break it every update...sigh)

OH! And the Safe Zones...arn't for long.

2)Although not much implanted into Degen yet, there will be a storyline that can be found when the players roam the map. NPCs, signs, newspapers, will all contain bits of info. I am planning on having the story slowly added to the players notes as they find the information.

3)Yes! There are random things throughout the map. You can find a few US soldiers who left the army who usually have a few goodies you can't get elsewhere. You can also recruit them as well. There are a few other stashes as well. All random, throughout the map.

4)Relations with US and Russia detoriated since the zombie outbreak. It is possible to find many Russian troops wandering the area, and if you arn't looking around carefully enough, they will ambush you for your gear. Usually, any large group of soldiers is easily found by the zombies before they can find the players. So when you are shooting into a crowd of zombies and you see a couple russian zombies, you can at least thank the zombies for doing something for you.

5)Gas! Gas! Yes! There are no gas stations. They all...magically...blew up? That's it. The military bombed every gas station because they didn't want anyone leaving Takistan. Finding Jerrycans, stealing gas from other vehicles, and getting lucky with the spawns is very important. I was mean when I did this...sometimes you will find a vehicle full of gas but if a zombie even looks at it in the wrong way it will explode. Then sometimes you will find a great vehicle with full health but there is no gas! Oh, and don't leave your vehicles running and, you will learn really quickly which vehicles have big gas tanks and which ones do not.

6)Hm, if you talking about this as an end to the mission, then probably yeah. The issue is that the playstyle of a lot of players prevents this. As in, even though four hours has passed they have not killed a single zombie. I've noticed during play tests that a lot of players decided to raid every town they could before ever even fighting a single zombie (Unless the zombies find them). Forcing these types of players to hurry to a the end of the mission would be sad. Although! If you want that, you can add it to the mission! I hope people will mod the mission to their liking!

7)I love your maps by the way...the concept itself would be pretty easy. I have a lot of location specifics in Degeneration but nothing a couple days of work couldn't fix. You would need to re-write a couple of scripts and etc if you wanted it to be like Degen but it wouldn't be hard.

The biggest pain would be the vehicle loot system. Degen also has a "Risk" type of system for the zombies that would need to be modified. As in, if the zombies control a certrain area of 2-3 towns it will give them an extra boost in their numbers eventually.

Hi there I have never tried a zombie mod in ARMA2 but this makes me want to try it with my mates on me dedicated server.

If I set the missions to persistent in the server config and not bother saving how will this work? so if I log off and then rejoin will I loose all my gear?.

Thanks

Hm, I have not had the chance to test on a dedicated server, if you leave the AI on for the players and leave while you are inside a vehicle everything will stay. Dedicated servers (I think) would be the best option in how to play this mission. Though, it is very very demanding on the poor servers...(It's demanding on my computer at least) I do know that saving works...with a few minor annoying bugs.

Sounds awesome. I can't wait to give it a go. Would this mission work in Singeplayer aswell?

You would have to start it up through MP I believe but you could play by yourself no problem. More weapons for you right?

EDIT: I also wanted to add that once I add the storyline fully into the game, that it will help the players against the zombies. For example, there are 3 zombie spawners that can be "turned off" once their corrasponding building is destroyed via satchels. Finding these buildings can be difficult without some sort of hint!

Edited by Genesis92x

You would have to start it up through MP I believe but you could play by yourself no problem. More weapons for you right?

Awesome. Looking forward to the release, shall be keeping a close eye on this. :)

Hi there so if I run this on a dedi server and leave AI will take over my player?.

Hi there so if I run this on a dedi server and leave AI will take over my player?.

Yes, if you leave the AI on in the beginning of the mission you can leave and rejoin with no problems. Just make sure you hop into a vehicle otherwise the AI like to wander off and give zombies free hugs sometimes. Also, on a dedicated server if you go AFK in a vehicle and your friends are not watching...you might come back dead. So make sure you drive off into some corner of the map where the zombies won't get you!

Oh, and make sure you don't see any zombies on the way there, they will track you down :| Especially the zombie dogs.

Also, tractors = bad choice of vehicle. Dogs can outrun a tractor :o

Ok what if I leave AI off at start of mission I suppose if I leave server I loose every thing?.

Or can I use the save function that you talk about?.

If you leave the AI off at the start of the mission and then leave, the character you were playing as will die. The save function only works for listen (non dedicated) servers

Ah ok so if I host (none dedi) and play from same pc that would be fine but then I suppose others who connect to my computer there save wont work.

Is there no way of implementing a save feature for a dedi server?.

(I have no script/game modding clue I just play :P)

and yes I am a refresh monkey on these and ACE tracker site :P

-Ziggy-;1861719']STOP asking him questions so he can finish this mission! :mad:

;)

Hehehe yeah I thought about that my self :P.

Ah ok so if I host (none dedi) and play from same pc that would be fine but then I suppose others who connect to my computer there save wont work.

Is there no way of implementing a save feature for a dedi server?.

(I have no script/game modding clue I just play :P)

and yes I am a refresh monkey on these and ACE tracker site :P

Okay, maybe we had a misunderstanding. Let me just line it out

Dedicated Server

Clients can connect and join/leave at their free will. As long as AI is turned on before the mission starts and the unit the player was playing LIVES while the player is gone they can rejoin in that same slot they were playing before and continue from where they left off.

SO! On a dedicated server even if the players leave the world will continue on without them. Your character in that world will only be able to defend themselves against 1 to 2 zombies while you are away. (AI takes over for the player after they leave)

Listen Server

The listen server (or non-dedicated) just means that a player is hosting the game and playing on it the same time. This is how I tested the mission. For a listen server, the players have the "save" option. So when the players are going to bed or have more important matters to attend to, the host can promptly save the game (or suspend) and have continue the game at their next convienance.

Anyways, news on the mission!

The mission is going along nicely, I'm afraid the release version will not have the majority of the story background in it but will have the basic game-play mechanics. (As well as a few dev scripts that I will leave in for now)

It will be released soon- along with V.90 and the V.90 patch for hosting that I created.

Hi thanks for the reply.

And soon as in tonight :P.

This does seem very interesting but get back to work.... :P nah I am joking hehehe.

thanks

Hi thanks for the reply.

And soon as in tonight :P.

This does seem very interesting but get back to work.... :P nah I am joking hehehe.

thanks

Well tonight or until the 25th as previously stated ;)

Im workin though

Well hello world! Glad to see Dom (Genesis92x) finally got this post up so I can help answer questions. That way we can keep cracking the whip, making sure his work goes uninterrupted. Please feel free to ask any questions or state any concerns and I'd be more than happy to address them when I can. Who am I to answer? Well, I've helped him since the conception of Degeneration, back when it was just a little mission on Sahrani in ArmA 2 (Miss CAA1 ;,( ). He's overcome so many obstacles since then, and I've also helped him in creating the looting system (Which he has refined into a beautiful product), and wrote the back story you see in the Original Thread. Anyways, I'll stop rambling, it's good to be here, and I look forward to slaying zombies with all of you very soon!

Just a quick update. I am hoping to release an early version of Degeneration tonight, it will not be feature complete but it will have everything you need to have a good time. (We shall call it a beta)

I also had a set-back because ACE decided to randomly remove the nuke system they had so I had to hunt down the .pbo for it and it will be included in part of the download for Degeneration

Edited by Genesis92x