Sign in to follow this  

My GPU Died!

So today my graphics card died:( All I play is Arma 2 really and well I have a tight budget but need a new card.

The card that died was a 8800gts 320mb and I'm thinking about getting a 8800gts 512mb. I have a £50 budget (very tight I know).

I was reasonably happy with the previous cards performance even though its quite low end compared to what most of you guys use which is why I'm thinking an upgraded gts.

What do you guys think? I can either get a 8800gts 512mb or a 8800gt 512 mb or whatever you guys reccomend:)

Remember I am on a tight budget so please don't say get a gts450 etc.

Cheers guys!

EDIT: I don't mind which brand, doesn't have to be Nvidia. Also, I forgot to mention that I have already thought about a 8800gtx 768mb but it requires 2x 6 pin connectors. I only have one so thats a no go:butbut:

Edited by Guest

If you're low on PC budget( as I'm always since computers is not my main money eating occupation) but need a card to run ArmA well try to get a ATI HD 48xx series with 1GB.

I've seen this cards at less than 80€ lately.

Alternativly a HD 58xx, prices have dropped here also sinve the 6xxx is out.

Simply never buy the current high end stuff..always go for what was high end a year before to get the best value.

the 4870 requires 2 6 pin as well. If you have a molex connector free then you can use a molex-to-pci power converter, they do exist. How many watts is your ps

Its a 600w PSU but its not a great brand. Only paid £30 for it.

Its a 600w PSU but its not a great brand. Only paid £30 for it.
that's well enough my runs stable for year on a 460 Watt Enermax. I just used the adapters that came with the box for the second power plug. the 48xx is not very power hungry.

When you are short of money bake it in the oven. I did that with my 8800 as well (it was the GTX) which allowed me to play/use it for 4 more months.

It died again in December and I am without PC since than but baking it really could help.

If you think I am kidding.......search the net for baking 8800 cards, lots of info about it.

They are dying after like 2 - 3 - 4 years due to a new welding process they used which obviously was not the best (not officially admitted but thats what people concluded after all those thoussands and thoussands of cards dying after a few years).

When you are short of money bake it in the oven. I did that with my 8800 as well (it was the GTX) which allowed me to play/use it for 4 more months.

It died again in December and I am without PC since than but baking it really could help.

If you think I am kidding.......search the net for baking 8800 cards, lots of info about it.

They are dying after like 2 - 3 - 4 years due to a new welding process they used which obviously was not the best (not officially admitted but thats what people concluded after all those thoussands and thoussands of cards dying after a few years).

The 78xx was the same. I had two of them dying in a year without any overclocking...that made me ATI costumer in the end.

I might try that oven trick as I have no warranty on the card. The problem with the card is that it gives no output (screen says no signal). The fan still runs fine on it. The videos I have looked at though all seem to have a faulty card where it shows artifacts on the screen. Does it only fix that?

I guess the fix is kinda similar to the towle trick used on xbox 360's to fix the red ring of death. Crazy but cool ;)

I can confirm that the oven trick worked for me on a laptop 7900gtx card. (make sure to remove all plastics etc)

Have a look at ati cards you can afford as they are usually better value than Nvidia.

Go HERE to compare speeds.

Edited by EDcase

I can confirm that the oven trick worked for me on a laptop 7900gtx card. (make sure to remove all plastics etc)

Have a look at ati cards you can afford as they are usually better value than Nvidia.

Go HERE to compare speeds.

Gonna try oven trick in a few hours, will report back wether it worked or not.

That link is great, cheers!

Also, I forgot to mention that I have already thought about a 8800gtx 768mb but it requires 2x 6 pin connectors. I only have one so thats a no go:butbut:

you can buy a little adapter like this http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2-Molex-6-pin-PCI-Express-Graphic-Card-Power-Cable-/250643029725?pt=AU_Components&hash=item3a5b7d1edd which will do the trick

I'm running 2x GTX275's on a 650w PSU using 2 of those adapters. You'll be fine

in regards to 'baking' a card, what temperature? I have a SB X-Fi card that isn't working

You may have all ready said the make of your PSU but in case you did not what was it?.

All so what's the spec of the rest of your pc?.

Thanks

I realy doubt that "baking" PC componets can be a safe solution.

I realy doubt that "baking" PC componets can be a safe solution.

But it does work in some cases, if you put your card in the wrong way up it is game over and you are left with a baking tray full of components.

If you have nothing to lose it is worth a shot.

if you search carefully you should be able to ge better then he old 8800 for 50 pound (checked prices in holland and well for a 60 pound (69 euro's) i could buy a nvidia gforces 430 gt 1024mb 128 bit ,for 50 pound i could buy a gforce 220 gt 1024 mb 128 bit

so again if you would search carefully you can find better stuf for lower prices

good luck

(ps your not the only one who's GPU died mine died 3 days ago and i had to replace it although your budget is a bit lower then mine i know the pain you feel for not being able to play :p)

if you search carefully you should be able to ge better then he old 8800 for 50 pound (checked prices in holland and well for a 60 pound (69 euro's) i could buy a nvidia gforces 430 gt 1024mb 128 bit ,for 50 pound i could buy a gforce 220 gt 1024 mb 128 bit

so again if you would search carefully you can find better stuf for lower prices

good luck

(ps your not the only one who's GPU died mine died 3 days ago and i had to replace it although your budget is a bit lower then mine i know the pain you feel for not being able to play :p)

first you say you can get better for 50 pounds and then you name 2 cards that are much slower than the 8800 series.

Just get the 2x molex to pci-e 6pin adapter, you'll be fine as long as the psu can deliver about 400W, something you'd expect a 600W psu to do.

BTW, I got my gtx260 secondhand for 60 euro's (as near as makes no difference 50 Pounds, had 2 adapter plugs with it). I have a second gtx260 on the way for 60 or 70 eu (provided it's a core216, seller didnt want to look it up)

Something like that is a fair price considering you can get a new 5770 for 90 eu.

Edited by Leon86

Unlucky with your dead card :( . I suggest baking it too- nothing to loose. I have always wanted to try it but my faulty cards have always been in warranty.

If you can find an Nvidia GTS250 you should be able to get one very cheap. This card is the equivalent of a 9800GTX+ and most only have one 6pin power connector required. It should be less than €100. It plays Arma reasonably too.

first you say you can get better for 50 pounds and then you name 2 cards that are much slower than the 8800 series.

Just get the 2x molex to pci-e 6pin adapter, you'll be fine as long as the psu can deliver about 400W, something you'd expect a 600W psu to do.

BTW, I got my gtx260 secondhand for 60 euro's (as near as makes no difference 50 Pounds, had 2 adapter plugs with it). I have a second gtx260 on the way for 60 or 70 eu (provided it's a core216, seller didnt want to look it up)

Something like that is a fair price considering you can get a new 5770 for 90 eu.

ok so the 430 gt is slower then a 8800 gtx ? didnt knew that, thought it was better then the 8800

ok so the 430 gt is slower then a 8800 gtx ? didnt knew that, thought it was better then the 8800

yeah, it's not even close either, in the gpu hierachy chart you can compare easily. Every 4 rows the speed roughly doubles, so the 8800gtx is about 3 times faster.

And since the topicstarter has an 8800gtx and a 600W psu the 2x molex to 6pin is still the most obvious thing to do.

Well I tried baking the card and it seems to have worked! I honestly cannot believe it:yay:

Pre heated the oven to 200 degrees and cooked for 8 minutes. Took it out, left for 30 mins then reassembled the card. Placed it in the comp and It now displays on my screen.

I have yet to test it with Arma 2 so dunno if it will hold up but just seeing it working again is amazing!

Now that the card is working, it has bided me some time to get a new card. I'm thinking maybe a 8800gtx with the connector thing or maybe wait till I have £100 and get an ATI card, maybe a HD4770 1GB or something.

Thank you Foxhound for letting me know about the baking trick, really appreciate it:)

Also, thanks for all the suggestions on cards that I should get.

Edited by Guest

nice, hope it holds together till you get a replacement. Maybe force the fan on 100% before starting a game? I always run more agressive fan profiles in my gpu's. Maybe that's why my old 8800gtx is still alive.

Well I tried baking the card and it seems to have worked!..I have yet to test it with Arma 2...

In that case don't turn any more handsprings of delight til you know for sure it works with Arma 2..;)

Let us know..