Sign in to follow this  
suma

ARMA 2: OA beta build 1.58.78413

I would like to continue to push for separating some AI routines from the 1 cpu core and spreading the load to others. Surely it is possible to move some threads to other cores? The potential performance increase could be game-changing!

The codebase is designed to accomodate multi cores. But any changes related to core-tasking and threading are usually huge undertakings codewise, requiring a serious amount of post-development testing. So I don't think that BI will risk such a rewrite at this stage. I could be proven wrong, of course :)

-OP

Found another bug with the AI. If you give the AI a WP with secure or careless behavior they just ignore the formation you give them at the WP. Only in Aware and combat behavior they move in formation.

Ticket @ DevHeaven:

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/17824

Not really a bug, it's "by design".

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_Mission_Editor#Formation

I could be proven wrong, of course :)

-OP

Its a mission worth undertaking if you ask me, but i'd rather not do it!

has a solution to this issue ever been found?:

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/15410

I've been getting the same error (except mine is with the nv4_disp.dll)...ive also tried new drivers and reinstalling arma2 a couple times to no avail....already emailed dwarden a couple of times in the past with dump and rpt files but no response.

Does this new beta fix this issue by chance, or is there a planned fix anytime soon?

Hi,

nv4_disp.dll error often indicates a broken graphics card. I would test the card with different tools. Ati Tool (scan for artefacts), etc.

[78376] Changed: Manual vectoring control in autohover mode with analogue throttle using Flaps actions.

Does that mean that the MV-22 uses this feature as well since it uses autohover to move the nacelles up for a vertical landing?

So, in that case full flaps lowered = nacelles pitched up fully?

half flaps = nacelles at 45 degrees?

no flaps = nacelles pitched forward for airplane flight?

[78376] Changed: Manual vectoring control in autohover mode with analogue throttle using Flaps actions.

Does that mean that the MV-22 uses this feature as well since it uses autohover to move the nacelles up for a vertical landing?

So, in that case full flaps lowered = nacelles pitched up fully?

half flaps = nacelles at 45 degrees?

no flaps = nacelles pitched forward for airplane flight?

It does not work that way, you can now only control thrust angle not Flaps with "flaps up/down" once autohover is enabled. To have control over flaps again you need to disable "hover mode" first.

is it possible to converse an option to attack with one click for fast attack ?

2 clicks "Target" and "engage" may be too slow or difficult with multiple targets assigned at several units in some situations, particulary against enemies moving.

At the moment with 1.57, I set LMB -> "attack" and quick RMB "Target".

(it works fine)

Thanks

is it possible to converse an option to attack with one click for fast attack ?

2 clicks "Target" and "engage" may be too slow or difficult with multiple targets assigned at several units in some situations, particulary against enemies moving.

At the moment with 1.57, I set LMB -> "attack" and quick RMB "Target".

(it works fine)

Thanks

I would argue that sending your squad out piecemeal to hunt down individual targets is a recipie for disaster. Should you still wish to do so, then set them to engage at will (3-5) and then single-click targets.

-k

It does not work that way, you can now only control thrust angle not Flaps with "flaps up/down" once autohover is enabled. To have control over flaps again you need to disable "hover mode" first.

so if i I read that right... Now you can control the way the nacelles are pointing manually by using autohover and the flaps up and down keys to move the nacelles?

If so, then awesome!

so if i I read that right... Now you can control the way the nacelles are pointing manually by using autohover and the flaps up and down keys to move the nacelles?

If so, then awesome!

it's that way now. Just don't forget to set the flaps before using "hover"...that was my mistake in the beginning. After engaging "hover" you have lots of fine steps for the nozzle.

and this is in the MV-22 Osprey? Correct? Does it also work on any VTOL / STOL airplanes? Also is there some kind of indicator / indication as to what the current position of the nozzles / nacelles are on the HUD or something?

and this is in the MV-22 Osprey? Correct? Does it also work on any VTOL / STOL airplanes? Also is there some kind of indicator / indication as to what the current position of the nozzles / nacelles are on the HUD or something?
no indicators, its all talent by now. You have to know what button and switch to push. Its more like piloting now...more complicated and less easy but gives more control.

For the MV22 the best indicator is a look to the left...harriers are more tricky now.

could be something to ask BIS for next, an indicator as to what position the nozzles are at

May I ask whether the problem "double grenade throwing animation when walking/running" will be fixed in the upcoming (stable) version? It's quite annoying not to be able to throw grenades correctly ...

Related tickets:

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/15566

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/17034

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/13321

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/12237

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/11750

(...)

any chance of changing the apache config a little bit?

hydras=pilot controlled (the rest works nice)

ace people have it but what about the rest? right now use of hydras is a bit bulky with 2 human players...

thx anyway for all the improvements...

That´s right, the pilot should send away the hydras.

Talking about config, is there a chance to look at this problem I posted here http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=114244 ?

I got some serious problems with my brand new ATI HD6950 card and Anti-Aliasing enabled (no matter if on Low or Very High) while running the latest beta patches. Looks like there are some major changes made on grass and tree models/textures since those artifacts are not there in 1.57 stable...

I'll post some screenshots later

I would argue that sending your squad out piecemeal to hunt down individual targets is a recipie for disaster. Should you still wish to do so, then set them to engage at will (3-5) and then single-click targets.

-k

i like the new 1 click to target, etc. but it is not the most intuitive system to say the least.

especially with factored in with things like the 3-5 then single click targets (thanks for that tip by the way i have played the game for since it came out and didn't know that).

Making this system of commands more intuitive would make it a lot more powerful/useful. and the beta environment should be the perfect place for BIS to try out UI/interaction innovations and expirements and refine things by referencing the users feedback here.

Frankly yes.

However BIS haven't had a very good track record of fixing User Interface elements, Animations, or datachanges in patches (or even games). I would be very surprised if they started now.

* Insanely complex (in a round-about manner) AI command interface... since opf.

* At times cryptic (to say the least) key-configurations... since opf.

* AI has been useless with Grenadelaunchers... since opf

* Rubberball handgrenades... since opf

* AI don't really recognize water... since opf

* AI pathfinding around certain objects... since opf

* etc etc

Not to say that the current versions of BIS gaming isn't impressive in its own right. Its just that a good User Interface/interfactivity is from a computer standpoint FREE. It doesn't require any new technology, additional CPU cycles, or complicated 3d/2d artwork. All it requires is some forethought.

-k

* Rubberball handgrenades... since opf

* AI don't really recognize water... since opf

Actually, in OFP all grenades exploded on impact and the AI was afraid of water.

I got some serious problems with my brand new ATI HD6950 card and Anti-Aliasing enabled (no matter if on Low or Very High) while running the latest beta patches. Looks like there are some major changes made on grass and tree models/textures since those artifacts are not there in 1.57 stable...

I'll post some screenshots later

That might be the Atoc feature. You can turn it off in ArmaA2OA.cfg

Also I have very low texture problem. Even if settings are set to very high, high or normal... textures appear in very low quality after some time.

arma2oa2011022518183044.th.jpg

Edited by Kenwort

The two main AI features that should be included in next beta patch are this:

1. Enemy will tend to group before attacking. This is more common with higher skilled units.

2. AI will split up (when in squads) (squad or section: 8man squad = 2 fireteams, 12man squad = 3fireteams, 9man section= assault group 4 men, gun group 3 men and scout group 2 men.) and one group (group with most fire power if possible) will try to maintain base of fire by supressing the enemy while the other groups (still in same squad though) attack. Higher skilled AI will seek to flank the enemy whereas lower skilled AI will tend to attack front on.