Sign in to follow this  
suma

ARMA 2: OA beta build 1.58.78413

-Ziggy-;1860750']you are using 1.54 because of a barely noticeable stretch of a forearm glitch?

yeah ... thats' gamebreaking ! FPDR

Nhaa not really, and yes its very noticeable! Im still at 1.54 cause in more ways 1.57 has more bads then goods as iv seen in the last 2 patches. Just feel fit with 1.54 for now, but BIS is getting it done in the right way and ill be getting the nice good patchs to come. Its that its been an bug for an while now. For all the beta test thats been done and patches that been out i would hope they would fix that by now.

Edited by 1in1class

Could someone please explain what the difference is between "Engage" and "Fire". I would have thought they are the same more or less? Here are my logical reasonings.

Target: Set unit for the AI to target.

Engage: Fire if target is visible, or else move to position then fire.

Fire: Fire at target regardless of it's position.

I am just trying to understand the logic or how this command is supossed to work.

Edit: Just saw this thread which I think asks the same question.

Thanks

Frosty

Edited by Rough Knight

Hope 1.58 final comes quickly, as I can only see two 1.58 beta servers out there, one of which I can join (other is PW'ed) but has no players.

First click "engage that xxx", on screen "Attack xxx" (french "attaquer xxx")

Second click "engage", on screen "engager"

Third click "Fire"

Never "Target" by voice or on screen.

The fact you hear (and see) Engage that xxx on the first click is a data side error, which unfortunately will not be fixed even in 1.58 - it will be fixed in the next stable patch. However, the functionality is really there. First click does Target, second does Engage, and if the unit did not open fire yet, third click does Fire.

I noticed that Harrier vertical landings are very very tricky now using HOTAS (Joystick and analog throttle) as there is no direct control over vertical thrustanymore using the "autohover" button.

Edited by Beagle

Before it was;

Quick Command + Reveal Target to order "Engage that xxx"

Quick Command + Shoot to order "Attack that xxx"

I could never tell the difference between them but the second one could be ordered over and over while the first one could only be order once per target.

In the original OFP RMB while commanding was used to assign targets (i.e. Target). You describe this as still working in A2/OA, but it does not for me (at least with default control setup), as RMB closes the commanding menu to me, this is why we have come up with a bit different scheme. I think current method of Target / Engage / Fire is quite intuitive.

Unfortunately there is a bug causing the audible and written feedback to no match (Engage appears instead of Target). This will be fixed in a future patch.

---------- Post added at 09:29 ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 ----------

I noticed that Harrier vertivel landings are very very tricky now uning HOTAS (Joystick and analog throttle) as there is no direct control over vertical thrustanymore using the "autohover" button.

Strange, the intention was to make exactly this easier (and with more control). This is how it should work (and how it seems to work at my end):

- you switch to autohover, engines are vectored down one notch (15 degrees)

- you control vectoring using Flaps up/down in 15 degrees steps

- all the time you have direct control over the thrust

It seems more I have to cut thrust completely to have the nozzles come down. Also its much harder now to slow down while having thrust.

I don't know how much the aircraft models control surfaces and nozzle position actually show what is going on with the flight model, but it worked out better before. I will go for further testing and maybe its just something I have to learn new, but landing on the carrier was second nature before, now it is hard work and needs more than one approach...which is impossible in real life since this would eat up the water injection storage.

EDIT:

Figured it out...I was wondering why I had no flap control in hover, works fine now I just have to apply the full flap before autohover.

Nice new control feature, we just have to learn it.

Edited by Beagle

Please work on something to allow AI to use more CPU cores instead of only 1 (one)

We play on coop mission with 30-40 peoples and like 100-150 AIs and the server is running at very low fps 6-10 fps making the AI very stupid and slow

x1000 !

The fact you hear (and see) Engage that xxx on the first click is a data side error, which unfortunately will not be fixed even in 1.58 - it will be fixed in the next stable patch. However, the functionality is really there. First click does Target, second does Engage, and if the unit did not open fire yet, third click does Fire.

It would appear that the 'second-click' engage cannot be cancelled neither by ordering "3-6 Disengage" nor "1-1 Fall back". The only way to get to cancel the attack-run was to order the AI to move somewhere-- and THEN order a fall back to my position.

This may have been a specific problem where I gave the engage order to a unit which had just been killed and where the AI had not had time to report it yet. Beyond that the system is quite intuitive (and will be more so with voice/text interface) and very preferable to the old one.

Thanks

--

Are there any plans to increase the frequency and reliability of the other aspects of AI feedback-- Voice messages specifically?

:: Both the leader-player and AI soldiers will inconsistently report "contact down" or indeed 'new contacts'-- sometimes these will just appear or magically be removed from the targets list.

:: It would have been supremely helpful if the player was given some idea if a spotted contact was HEARD or actually SPOTTED. (a text indication would be sufficient) as these are two very different contact situations.

:: A voice only (not radio) confirmation when the AI are all 'back in formation' when ordered so-- would remove the need for a lot of looking around.

-k

Nice.

I would be awesome if 3D Editor was enabled (fixed) in 1.58 :) or 3D button switch in 2D editor so we can switch views. Whatever.

Just give us 3D!

Cheers BIS!

Nice.

I would be awesome if 3D Editor was enabled (fixed) in 1.58 :) or 3D button switch in 2D editor so we can switch views. Whatever.

Just give us 3D!

Cheers BIS!

unrealistic with for 1.58 ... i'm sorry

---------- Post added at 16:25 ---------- Previous post was at 16:24 ----------

this bug is still annoying the hell out of me :(

that's AToC effect on vegetation, just disable it in your arma2oa.cfg ...

it acts differently on different type of vegeation (A2 one vs OA one)

and behaves also different on NVIDIA vs AMD and even sub generations of cards handle the AToC slighly differently

I second the motion of using other cores to process AI if they're free to do so.

Motion seconded as well. For me it will be great. I will be upgrading to an 8 core high clocking AMD Zambezi processor in maybe 4-5 months time.

In the original OFP RMB while commanding was used to assign targets (i.e. Target). You describe this as still working in A2/OA, but it does not for me (at least with default control setup), as RMB closes the commanding menu to me, this is why we have come up with a bit different scheme. I think current method of Target / Engage / Fire is quite intuitive.

Ahh yes, I have unassigned "Reveal Target" from my "Second Mouse button" and put it on an extra mouse button. Also I have removed the default setting of "Second Mouse Button" from the command "Back", this stops the command menu from closing. But basically; Command menu and Reveal Target seems to be the old OFP way of doing it and it still works

The new way should be fine once the audio is correct though.

any chance of changing the apache config a little bit?

hydras=pilot controlled (the rest works nice)

ace people have it but what about the rest? right now use of hydras is a bit bulky with 2 human players...

thx anyway for all the improvements...

i noticed that unarmed men dont move at all when ordered to crouch.

place one unarmed unit in your team and tell him to stay crouched (7,7), he will stay nailed down on his position and not move one single meter in crouched stance.

thats gamebreaking for some of my missions where i have unarmed medics in my squad.

Found another bug with the AI. If you give the AI a WP with secure or careless behavior they just ignore the formation you give them at the WP. Only in Aware and combat behavior they move in formation.

Ticket @ DevHeaven:

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/17824

Is the latest beta no longer backward compatible with final stable versions? When I activate this beta I am unable to play on servers not running the beta. Has this changed?

Regarding 3D Editor

Dwarden, could you please say if anything like this is planned for the future of Arma 2 CO at the moment? Or if we will at least get the possibility to change the Loadout of Units placed in the Editor without Scripting? Just a little button in the window where you choose the desired Unit that appeares if the Unit is Infrantry. If you hit it this brings up the Loadout screen for this Unit. This would be really cool

Is the latest beta no longer backward compatible with final stable versions? When I activate this beta I am unable to play on servers not running the beta. Has this changed?

It is already version 1.58. So no it is not compatible with 1.57 anymore.

I would like to continue to push for separating some AI routines from the 1 cpu core and spreading the load to others. Surely it is possible to move some threads to other cores? The potential performance increase could be game-changing!

---------- Post added at 16:25 ---------- Previous post was at 16:24 ----------

that's AToC effect on vegetation, just disable it in your arma2oa.cfg ...

it acts differently on different type of vegeation (A2 one vs OA one)

and behaves also different on NVIDIA vs AMD and even sub generations of cards handle the AToC slighly differently

No mentioned of the volume bug in trial by fire means it be fixed? :yay::yay: