Sign in to follow this  
Rex Ursus

Flight Model Needs Work

I find the flight model in this sim poor. One contribution that I would like to offer is a feature called collective dump. Instead of having a chopper gain altitude when one is trying to stop something like combining a shift + decrease thrust keying should be added. This way, just like in real life, when you try to decrease speed without gaining altitude you do what is known in the business as 'dump the collective'. (look it up folks). If you were to dump collective while in a hover you would drop at almost 9.8m/second squared. Just like in real life. The reason why I suggest this is because this would not be that hard to simulate. I use the down arrow to decrease thrust. Why not add a shift button to really dump all thrust. By the way. Dump thrust works in auto-rotating into a landing.

1. this is not a flight simulator, no matter what you want to believe of it

2. i for one have no problem flying a chopper or gaining altitude when trying to decrease speed while using a joystick, since i can control easier the collective via the thrust stick.

in the end, i agree there is plenty of work that would be needed to get A2 vehicle controls and behavior up to sim standards (which i am sure will never really happen to the level of Falcon, IL2 or DCS), but then again, none of the said games can be really played without a joystick either.

man suggestions like these are good, i'd like to see push their flight model as it is such an enjoyable part of arma2 and forms a real platform for combined ops.

man suggestions like these are good, i'd like to see push their flight model as it is such an enjoyable part of arma2 and forms a real platform for combined ops.

There are really more urgent things to improve right now.

There are really more urgent things to improve right now.

Well, depends on personal flavours, i guess. After all, this is the "Suggestions" Forum and it is a valid suggestion after all. Just because there are more urgnet things to fix/improve (which ia agree with you) doesn't mean people should not bring up suggestions.

@PuFu

I think nobody is asking BIS to make ArmA 2 a FSX competitor but also you surely will agree that implementation of aircrafts of all sort is a little poor.

Just a better implementation of physics and a few more config values to finetune flight behaviour would be a great step forward.

I'd like to see the flight models have more responsive movement in their frames,

to kinda of give the impression that the aircraft is heavy or has weight.

If Im not mistaken the planes currently somewhat bumble along, like slightly bounce when they move along a runway to take off,

rather then their wheels and frame respond to the weight of the craft in breaking and in the terrain they move over.

Notice when you were on a plane about to take off from the airport to go somewhere that the plane is taxing to the runway

and well I usually got a window seat and like to sit over the wing or behind it, sometimes in front but when the plane hits a

small bump or even turns you can see the wing like spring back n forth giving

the idea that the plane is heavy but dynamic in design.

Thats the idea.

EDIT

lol dam I just seen your post Myke after I posted mine, anyways, Myke I like how your planes fly they have a certain air responsiveness to them,

they dont seem to heavy nor to light and they seem sensitve to your movement, which makes it fun to fly.

Is there however a way to adjusts how a plane moves on the ground kinda of what i was pointing out above?

Edited by Gnter Severloh

yes... DCS A10 with Arma 2 environment would be the ultimate game

Myke;1860287']@PuFu

I think nobody is asking BIS to make ArmA 2 a FSX competitor but also you surely will agree that implementation of aircrafts of all sort is a little poor.

Just a better implementation of physics and a few more config values to finetune flight behaviour would be a great step forward.

Hell' date=' i would want to have a game that covers everything from AIR to GROUND units as accurate as a video-game can, but that doesn't mean it will happen anytimes soon.

Physics depicted in A2 are the very basic ones. And it has nothing to do with the RV engine (or it has, but an additional physics engine such as Havok is more than possible).

That is the real reason for dodgy flight models, just as well as poor ground vehicle collision models, and destruction effects.

I think by now the 1st three things on everyone want list are:

1. better core engine optimization

2. better/more physics implementation (even if that means a 3rd party physics engine license needs to be acquired)

3. more fluid human animations

BUT: my reply was in relation to the collector dump and the aditional key that was being suggested. I find such thing unneeded IF you are using a joystick for flying (just like you would with any other flight sim out there).

Edited by PuFu

Physics depicted in A2 are the very basic ones. And it has nothing to do with the RV engine (or it has, but an additional physics engine such as Havok is more than possible).

I agree and say this again. I wouldn't mind donating BIS to implement Havok in game.