Sign in to follow this  
snipe3000

[Answered] ATI 6970 Minimize to desktop crash

When playing OA it minimizes to desktop every 1/2 hour. When it is minimized I can hear the game playing and interact (shoot) however I cannot maximize the game unless I flush the video memory.

I have an ATI 6970 with 11.2 drivers

Video Memory is set at very high

I have tried older driver version (10.9) and still same result.

Anybody any ideas?

Edited by Dwarden

I am not sure if my experience is in any way related to yours, but...

I also experienced ArmA2 OA getting minimized for no reason after 1/2 hours of playing.

It happened maybe 6 times so far (in maybe a year with playing every other weekend or so), but then i never had any problems with getting back into the game (maybe i was just lucky).

Anyway, what i would like to know is the reason why is the game getting minimized?

I was thinking maybe i accidentaly pressed the key combination to "minimize window" (Win + Down ?), but when i tried to do that on purpose it did nothing.

Maybe it was some other application running in background that caused this, but i didn't noticed anything to point out what application (or some windows service?).

btw. do you have the same problem of getting back into the game after you minimize it on purpose (alt+tab to desktop) ?

I can alt tab out and in with no problems. However whenever this happens the game is still running but I can only see the desktop. When I click my mouse I shoot, when I alt tab out I can click on the desktop as normal.

The only way I can restore the game without restarting is by using shift & num - and type flush. This makes me think it must have something to do with the video memory

Seems like a reasonable deduction.

Unfortunately i can't help you - i can only try to give you the most notorious and obvious advice:

try to patch the game to some more recent version (if you didn't already),

and also try the beta patches as they might address some bug which is the cause of this (if the problem is in the game and not in the video drivers).

Just remember when installing beta patch:

- it won't replace your retail version, do not be affraid to install it (it will create a "beta" directory in your ArmA2/OA dir).

- it will create a new shortcut to run the beta, so use it to run the new beta executable.

Sorry if i am just repeating things you already know, i just don't know what else is there to help :(

Let's hope somebody else will have more usefull tips or ideas.

I got the exact same problem with my Asus 6970 (modded 6950). I don't have problems getting back to game after alt-tabbing but when it throws me into the desktop for no reason particular there really isn't all that much I can do about it.

Gets kinda annoying when you're flying an aircraft above a relatively busy airfield. And for some reason people don't really appreciate when you just denied the whole airfield by crashing your plane in a landing approach into the middle of the runway.

I got the exact same problem with my Asus 6970 (modded 6950). I don't have problems getting back to game after alt-tabbing but when it throws me into the desktop for no reason particular there really isn't all that much I can do about it.

Gets kinda annoying when you're flying an aircraft above a relatively busy airfield. And for some reason people don't really appreciate when you just denied the whole airfield by crashing your plane in a landing approach into the middle of the runway.

It's extremely annoying when it happens. I was almost giving up on the game until there was a new driver or patch, but with the flush command it makes it kinda bearable.

Here are my other settings, maybe there is something in common:

Ati drivers 11.2

Latest arma 2 oa beta patch

Windows 7 x64

6th ram

When playing OA it minimizes to desktop every 1/2 hour. When it is minimized I can hear the game playing and interact (shoot) however I cannot maximize the game unless I flush the video memory.

I have an ATI 6970 with 11.2 drivers

Video Memory is set at very high

I have tried older driver version (10.9) and still same result.

Anybody any ideas?

Set your video memory to default.

looks like overheat problem - try open case and play with opened case.

It's not overheat problem. Temps are in acceptable levels.

Edit; Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that atleast my video memory settings are in "default"

I have tried default settings and the same result.

Its not an overheating problem as my temps are fine and have no problems in other games that stress the card

I have tried default settings and the same result.

Its not an overheating problem as my temps are fine and have no problems in other games that stress the card

I stand corrected:

IT IS A HEATING PROBLEM!!!!

Card was running around 90C when under load, the default fan settings weren't strong enough to cool the card. Seen other people running at this temp with no problems, but it seems this card cant take the higher temps.

Created a custom fan profile using MSI Afterburner, ramps upto 100% fan speed at 85C (100% is real LOUD), no more crashes.

In two minds now about returning the card or just sticking with my custom fan profile.

I stand corrected:

IT IS A HEATING PROBLEM!!!!

Card was running around 90C when under load, the default fan settings weren't strong enough to cool the card. Seen other people running at this temp with no problems, but it seems this card cant take the higher temps.

Created a custom fan profile using MSI Afterburner, ramps upto 100% fan speed at 85C (100% is real LOUD), no more crashes.

In two minds now about returning the card or just sticking with my custom fan profile.

I'm getting dumped to desktop while in the middle of play (even once in the UI just after loading). The game acts as though it's minimized and I can't restore it... I can hear the game continuing through the speakers but I cannot restore video.

I don't think this is a heating problem. My GPU temp is fine and the graphic settings have been lowered to help, too no affect. I re-installed the game, and it's still the same problem.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or ideas? (I'm running Win7 64bit OS, Intel Q9550, 8GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 285) *Perhaps it's DX11??*

Any ideas/solutions welcomed.

Found a temporary solution.

Do the following to retore your game: Left Shift + Numpad Minus, then type: F L U S H

Hopefully we can get a permenate solution in the future.