Sign in to follow this  
tupolov

Ambient vehicles "built" into maps

All,

So I have 3 main roads on my map and I'm considering including a script to spawn ambient civilian vehicles that travel up and down them.

What are you thoughts on this? Should we do this or leave it down to mission makers?

Bushlurkers ambient trawlers got me thinking about how much this kind of thing adds to the map.

Is there anything else ambient that we should include in the map or anything we can do to make it easy to add these components?

Thanks

Tup

Leave it to the mission makers. Forcing a single solution for an entire map will greatly reduce its applications.

There may be some things that would work well in this scenario like the trawlers, I'd skip traffic as it could easily jack up a mission makers scenario. Thats me first thought anyway.

Of course you could make a module for the mission makers to turn it on/off.. That would be to proper though.

you could make a module for the mission makers to turn it on/off.. That would be to proper though.

That's my current plan... I've been working on an "optional extra scottishness" module which missionmakers will be able to use or not as they wish...

One of its options will be to spawn a very sparse network of waypoints and about half a dozen of the inshore fishing boats, which hopefully will trundle along their little circuits - respawning after a while if they're destroyed... all pretty low-key and just for ambience really... about a "if you sit at the coast for a couple of hours you may see one pass in the distance" sort of thing...

Thats if I can actually get it all working ;)...

I'd originally begged the OFP models from Colonel Klink to use just as static harbour objects, but when I managed to get it (partially, so far :() working - including seagulls, I couldn't resist the excuse to have them actually moving about...

Optional and lightweight occasional ambience is what its about though... road traffic is a little more upclose to the players usually, and can change from "ambient" to "in the way" quite easily...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

Thanks all... will leave it to the mission makers!

What about animals? Is it possible to include new animals to the island itself as ambient? I have CSJ's excellent snakes that would fit perfectly in the Lingor.

That's my current plan... I've been working on an "optional extra scottishness" module which missionmakers will be able to use or not as they wish...

B

Will your module allow players to enter a fish and chip shop and eat a deep fried mars bar? :)

On a more serious note, ambient traffic seems to put a bit of strain on CPUs (presumably pathfinding) which people might not like to be forced into using.

I think anything is reasonable if it has a simple to make module container. The issues related to performance and/or anything else is then made a "by choice" matter. Keeping everything well inside the kiss rule for all.

Zombies, misc airtraffic, elephants, iceburgs, wookies or whatever else is clever ... all add to the immersion factor, so a welcome feature/option I would think for most.