Sign in to follow this  
Trux

Best game type for a Noob

Can someone recommend the best game type to start playing on-line?

Something that's easy to pick up for a total ArmA MP newcomer?

I've read some of the mod guides and won't have issues there as I use six updater.

I've also had a look at some of the tactical guides for game types stickied in this forum but each game type seems quite in-depth.

So what's the best place to start for someone who's last on-line war experience was MOHAA back in the day? Ideally without messing up other peoples games!

It would be nice to play with other peeps instead of getting frustrated playing with the AI as squad mates.

I prefer things a little slower and more tactical than say a death match type experience.

Cheers

Deathmatch will get you acquainted with combat, different weapons and pvp. It's the best way to learn to fight because the action is instantaneous.

I disagree, comrade Celery. Coop is easier to learn as the enemy are much less able. I think it's important to learn how to shoot and move than it is to learn how to die. :)

This may help you to a degree:

PvP game modes and mission concepts

Insurgency together with some people, especially using VON or TS might be a good choice.

Cool, i'll check the guide thanks. I have TS3 so maybe I'll check out insurgency.

You could try Warfare BE. It's where I learned how to command the AI efficiently, how to use the different types of ground vehicles and aircraft effectively, different players' tactics in PvP, how to take out a whole town of insurgents alone, what effective weapons are for your AI troops (You can customize your AIs' loadouts by buying them weapons) and more. It's pretty much a mix of PvP and Co-op on a large scale environment.

Going against player manned MANPAD and SAMs will improve your flying skills a lot, plus, in Warfare, you value your aircraft due to it being from the money you've worked for and earned.

But if you're looking for more realistic approaches on things.. I would suggest a Co-op server with VON or TS3.

EDIT: Although Warfare might be confusing at start, it gets really fun once you get into it.

Hi all

My suggestion is:

...New to ArmA II?

Begin Simple with a bit of PvP using Vanilla ArmA II on a Vanilla server!

I suggest joining a Valhalla server. Dao run an excellent one with one hour matches of between 64 to 128 players there are several others that also run Valhalla! To get on it either filter on Valhalla in mission name or alter your server view by selecting play, for number players, in the view function. You may have to click it twice for highest number of player servers to come to the top. Since Dao tends to be full and runs larger servers they are usually at the top...

If you follow the link it links to the stickied thread describing many of the game forms in ArmA and where to find information about them. So what ever type of game you choose you will have a jumping off point for them.

Kind Regards walker

CTF on a vanilla server... simple,,, you can choose to run and gun or camp and shoot,,, simple task, help your buddies get opponents flag and return it,,,, REgards to Coop I doubt theres anyone who would say fighting the Ai is anything close to fighting against human opponents so I doubt you will learn much to help you in PvP but if you like coop then thats fine.

This can help

New to Multiplayer? (Read this guide)

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=93078

theres also:

by Walker

New to MP? Get information here.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=79628

which is at the top of this forum.

Edited by Gnter Severloh

Advance and Secure (AAS)

Plays just like Battlefield without the supersoldier, bunnyhopping, insta-prone crap.

C5 have a server that has a mix of AAS, CTF, DM, TDM......