Sign in to follow this  
von_paulus

The very important list of PC Games

Guess who's on that list.

One of my colleagues will iterate the importance of Operation Flashpoint within the grand scheme of games, but it is down to me to highlight where the arc of soldier simulation, that began with OpFlash, now sits. Arma II – a huge, demanding, unoptimised monstrosity of feature heaviness – is unlike anything else in the gaming landscape. Buggy on release, not ideal for single-player – the problems with it are considerable, and they all pale into nothing against the technical achievement and possibility for military simulation experiences that are disgorged from this game on a daily basis.

So true.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/02/14/the-very-important-list-of-pc-games-part-1/

Edited by Von_Paulus

Those so called senior game experts even don't know what version of ARMA2 it is now. If there is a buggy and abhorrent ARMA2, which game is the comparision? until now the so called advanced and excellent game engines in the commercial market have no game similar to ARMA2. If those engine can do it, they have done it.

Edited by msy

Magazines are in no way objective to the subject,...I don't know how the business goes in other regions but in germany a developer has to pa yfor a good article...do not play and you don't get a good one as the game must be stated anyhow. The prices range around the 5000€-8000€ for two page articles with pictures and a good rating. Thats the reason why mediocre games from big publisher get goos ratings and inovaticve games from small developers are neglegted or bashed.

Edited by Beagle

What the hell are you guys on about?

This was an article written as a tribute to great games, and ArmA2 was included. It's written by a small website known for it's support of small indie games, known for it's well-nuanced and credible writers, and you slam it?

Yes, the text was a LITTLE criticial, because it's true. ArmA2 has more than it's fair share of problems. Even though it's one of the best games out there, it's not perfect.

The people of this community sometimes have their head stuck so far down the sand that as soon as someone even think of mentioning that ArmA2 might need a few tweaks you go all bananas. And it does need a few tweaks. Come on. We even have entire websites dedicated to the tweaks and fixes needed.

Magazines are in no way objective to the subject,...I don't know how the business goes in other regions but in germany a developer has to pa yfor a good article...do not play and you don't get a good one as the game must be stated anyhow. The prices range around the 5000€-8000€ for two page articles with pictures and a good rating. Thats the reason why mediocre games from big publisher get goos ratings and inovaticve games from small developers are neglegted or bashed.

Do you have a source for those assertions?

This was an article written as a tribute to great games, and ArmA2 was included. It's written by a small website known for it's support of small indie games, known for it's well-nuanced and credible writers, and you slam it?

Yes, the text was a LITTLE criticial, because it's true. ArmA2 has more than it's fair share of problems. Even though it's one of the best games out there, it's not perfect.

The people of this community sometimes have their head stuck so far down the sand that as soon as someone even think of mentioning that ArmA2 might need a few tweaks you go all bananas. And it does need a few tweaks. Come on. We even have entire websites dedicated to the tweaks and fixes needed.

This is basicly what I wanted to said, sometime people here seems to have a little bit too much ego.

I collaborate with a spanish medium videogames site with about 40000 single visitors per year (not sure about this) and i can tell you that major publishers like ea, activision, etc... offers money for high notes on game reviews.

Fortunatelly as we take our site as a hobby we don't need to accept that money, so some of the publishers (not all) stop a few months ago sending press kits or free games for review to us. That's the way of work of this "industry"

I actually remember an incident where a German game mag didnt get a test package because they refused to guarantee a good rating before the test lol.

Heh, yeah that was my assessment too :) I know A2 has its problems, but on the other hand A2 is perhaps the only game I know where those problems can be avoided (until its fixed) by simply making more use of the many other aspects of the game. Don't like the AI convoy foolishness? Do one of the many thousands of other things you can do in A2 :)

I think thw AI convoy foolishness is pretty damned good.

It's one of the examples I like to offer of how advanced the AI in ArmA is compared to most other games.

The only other game I know of with a decent convoy AI is X3.

Other than that, the description in the OP pretty much mirrors my own accolade to the game.

I hope that they will not forgot Populus-Age of Empire or the first Alone in the dark, which was the first game of this type.:)

)rStrangelove;1856223']pffff - gaming magazines' date=' what do they know about good games.[/quote']

Not a damn thing.

Good to see H&D on there. Even played as first person, that game got me dead and centre with the intensity of WWII special ops stuffs they portrayed. And that escape level - phwoaaah, damn did I flog that halftrack.

Doom does not belong where it is. Ultima Underworld should be there.

Doom was not a major leap in First-person games. It was just popular. nothing more.

Doom was not a major leap in First-person games. It was just popular. nothing more.

Well it seemed like a major leap at the time :) nothing else was making waves like it.

Also, it's not just the game that Doom heralded, it heralded the monster demo. 25% of the game free as a demo for the rest. Bargain :)

Well it seemed like a major leap at the time :) nothing else was making waves like it.

Doom introduced nothing in terms of new tech.

It was the COD of it's time, just a lot better gameplay wise.

The shareware thing was nothing new at the time.

Edited by jblackrupert

Yes lots off. It is commonly known that a lot of magazines work that way, me personally know it first hand from music magazines (band and CD reviews) but I was assured by Media professionlas that its usual business also in other theme areas. And off course no magazin does advertising with this fact but fact is money can buy you good reviews and it does.

This is a world of business what else do you exspect, altruism and charity?

Doom introduced nothing in terms of new tech.

It was the COD of it's time, just a lot better gameplay wise.

The shareware thing was nothing new at the time.

Doom introduced the modern concept of mods, where Carmack and Romero created the format WADs that separated sound, graphics and levels from the core game, making modding easier and less likely to break the game.

Isn't being immensely, absurdely, legacy-making popular enough to be deemed important? I think you're confusing important for innovative here.

Now, there's a lot of games I reckon shouldn't be on that list, but Doom is mandatory. It's like the Thriller of FPS's. You may not like Michael Jackson, you may not call him musically innovative, but the sheer popularity and the subsequent effect that had on the music industry (read: gaming industry) cannot be underestimated.

Games like Doom get all the credit for things others earned because it was the loudest one in the room.

10 years from now COD or some other empty big budget game will make the top of the list and Doom will be long forgotten. I wouldn't doupt COD will be credited by many as being the first FPS ever eventually.

10 years from now COD or some other empty big budget game will make the top of the list and Doom will be long forgotten. I wouldn't doupt COD will be credited by many as being the first FPS ever eventually.

For the console players, maybe. But for the enlighten ones, the PC (and other computers) gamers, doubt it. It's a classical. It's part of gaming history.

We, PC gamers, will always know.