Sign in to follow this  
teach

I bought PMC pack because of BIS support on these forums.

To be honest, I didn't buy the PMC pack when it first came out because I wasn't that interested in it.

I just bought it via Steam for $9.99 solely because of the amount of communication and support shown here by BIS.

BIS is constantly patching this game and engaging in daily responses with gamers as we all know. I'm 43 and in all of my years or gaming, I haven't seen such continued dedication to a game by its devs.

Aside from ARMA 1 (which I bought) I now own all of ARMA2 and its available packs (BAF, PMC, and of course the wonderful OA).

I encourage everyone else to do the same.

Keep improving gameplay BIS. It is very much appreciated.

Regards,

OverwatchX

I actually bought Arma 2 for the community mods and add-ons. I actually prefer user-made contents to BIS missions and campaigns. I bought PMC and BAF, to support BIS and to allow me to play user-made BAF and PMC content but I've hardly played the BIS stuff (two words describe my aversion - the are "Harvest" and "Red", in that order). I suspect the reason is I am much more forgiving of hardworking community mission builders (some of who do an unbelieveable job, IMHO) than BIS, who you would think official missions should be part of how they earn their bread-and-butter.

Edited by MissionCreep

I actually bought Arma 2 for the community mods and add-ons. I actually prefer user-made contents to BIS missions and campaigns. I bought PMC and BAF, to support BIS and to allow me to play user-made BAF and PMC content but I've hardly played the BIS stuff (two words describe my aversion - the are "Harvest" and "Red", in that order). I suspect the reason is I am much more forgiving of hardworking community mission builders (some of who do an unbelieveable job, IMHO) than BIS, who you would think official missions should be part of how they earn their bread-and-butter.
TRhe user made content falls behind in Quality nowadays. Most often you see project abandoned or turn out buggy. Mods where good back in OFP days but nowadays I prefer professional high quality addons. Mods are like freeware aircraft for Microsoft Flight simulator...often simply not the real deal.

Some mods try to make things better but only show why it was wise by BIS doing it as they did. And I simply doubt that there is anyone knowing better what can be done with the engine.

Still, I see a lot of HQ mods. Especially in infantry and weapons department.

I'll probably buy the DLC when it comes out on the DVD release.

Same here. Paying for DLC is against my religion. I'll buy the DVD as soon as it's out though. :)

I won't be buying the PMC pack, because I don't need the PMC units

I suppose in that regard DLC is a good idea, because it means it doesn't push up the price of other expansions with stuff I do want

Some mods try to make things better but only show why it was wise by BIS doing it as they did. And I simply doubt that there is anyone knowing better what can be done with the engine.

I dispute that ... some mods have groundbreaking features that are never and have never been implemented by BIS.

Just posted yesterday

Other cases in point:

- Wish to change your headgear during a mission (say helmet to boonie to basball cap)?

- Want to see a vehicle which is entered and exited through a hatch, opened and closed by crewman?

- Missiles that fly in a parabolic path rather than straight lines?

- Non-moronic AI?

The list seems endless. You see these things in mods, but not in BIS missions/apps. Maybe there are reasons for this, but the sum total of mission and modding talent in the community (yes it is quite big, so I understand that) exceeds that of BIS. BIS supplies the tools and a good platform, but IMHO, it is truly the community makes Arma2 what it is.

Edited by MissionCreep

well even if You don't see feature in our game it don't mean we not explored or tried it already ...

but for commercial project You have finite time (deadlines) and resources (manhours)

and that's why some mods will always have something the commercial project can't

for example try count how many unique animations or how complex dynamic-procedural animation system You would need for 'correct looking' exit/entry of all vehicles with hatches :)

etc.

well even if You don't see feature in our game it don't mean we not explored or tried it already ...

but for commercial project You have finite time (deadlines) and resources (man hours)

and that's why some mods will always have something the commercial project can't

for example try count how many unique animations or how complex dynamic-procedural animation system You would need for 'correct looking' exit/entry of all vehicles with hatches :)

etc.

I would like to thank BIS for all the hard work they did to make this game as good as it is and all the effort they keep putting into this. I have been playing since OFP. And love the game and mods.

but for commercial project You have finite time (deadlines) and resources (manhours)

I do understand this ... the community as a whole has indefinite timelines and many many combined manhours of input. That is why, in my opinion, it is the community that publishes some of the best Arma content.

To be honest, I would be happy if I could throw a bit more money at BIS, meaning I'd like them to continue with releasing DLC, or another expansion. I wish there was some hint that they're working on something.

And yeah, I am trying to provoke a reply from Dwarden (or anyone fro BIS) :icon_redface:

I wish there was some hint that they're working on something.

We are, quite surprisingly, working on something :icon_twisted:

Great now I wont be able to sleep at night till I know what it is due to the excitement.

BIS RULE

I wasn't that interested in PMC either but still bought it to support BIS :inlove:

Edited by EDcase

I will buy all products from BIS even if they start producing cars and motorbikes. BIS for life :)

Hint?

I bought PMC to support BIS although I rarely play with any of the content in it

If it's not opfor, I'm not interested :cool:

I am planning to buy BAF as soon as 1.58 comes out.

But I don't think I will buy PMC. Sorry, but BIS doesn't really have a good track record for story/campaign singleplayer (see: harvest red *shudder*), and I really only want weapons/units/vehicles out of a DLC.

BAF adds a whole new faction with brand new weapons and vehicles, PMC just uses the same weapons and vehicles, with one new (useless) automatic shotgun and a new helicopter. So it's a no-go for me.

ARGH :)

I don't suppose you're ready to give a hint as to what it is? *nudge nudge*

---------- Post added at 00:29 ---------- Previous post was at 00:25 ----------

But I don't think I will buy PMC. Sorry, but BIS doesn't really have a good track record for story/campaign singleplayer (see: harvest red *shudder*), and I really only want weapons/units/vehicles out of a DLC.

I don't really understand why people seem to hate Harvest Red so much. I actually found it quite enjoyable, more so because of the large open missions. I didn't really like Badlands/Dogs of War too much for their Warfare mode, but all others were good..

As for PMC, I thought the campaign was quite good (I didn't finish it yet because I am stuck in one place) and I liked the extra single player missions that came in the PMC 1.01 patch (Especially the hostage rescue).

And finally, it's only 8 Euros.

Ahhh.. i wish that Placebo wasn't arround us to give my sincere opinion about most of this three pages...