Sign in to follow this  
johanna

Russian cockpits, why that horrible color?

Why do russian jets have that horrible green/blue color in the cockpits of their jets? And some armored types have it to?

its supposed to have a calming effect on the pilot

Like in hospitals, you often see that color there.

But I also think you see the instruments much better with that color instead of a black background.

If it was white it would reflect sunlight too much, if it was black it would be harder to see at night.

Well yeah, but that's kinda like saying "the way the world is now is better than if the sun exploded" :)

On the other hand, a pink fighter plane would have some amount of intrinsic awesomeness.

gotta use 1 color, why not turquoise?

black would be horrible, you couldnt see anything in there. i always have the same problem when i crawl behind my tv set, bloody BD player is all black, wtf! its bad product design! :P

Why?

In 70's USSR acquired a lot of US stuff from the communist Vietnam. Two of them were F-5 fighters, which were tested in USSR and then in Czechoslovakia and Poland (you can see them in airforce museums in Praga, Kbely and Krakow). Russians (and Poles) learned a lot from the F-5, including similar cockpit colour (although in F-5 it was darker).

It probably reduces the amount of adjustment the eyes have to go through between looking at the instruments and the outside of the aircraft.

Why do russian jets have that horrible green/blue color in the cockpits of their jets? And some armored types have it to?
the color is intended to ne eye friendly and allow for quick eye adaption when changinf view beetween outside and intruments. It also gives a brighter Cockpit lighting for beeing able to see better...keep in mind that russian Pilots in this era often had to read paper maps and rely on paper notes to use with analoge only instruments and Avionics.

Bit OT but hey...

...On the other hand, a pink fighter plane would have some amount of intrinsic awesomeness.

Already been done.

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv334/xvtonker/TornadoGR1ZA475PTriffidAirways.jpg

http://www.dstorm.eu/pictures/nose-arts/tornado/gb/anola_kay_3.jpg

Going back ontopic...

the color is intended to ne eye friendly and allow for quick eye adaption when changinf view beetween outside and intruments. It also gives a brighter Cockpit lighting for beeing able to see better...keep in mind that russian Pilots in this era often had to read paper maps and rely on paper notes to use with analoge only instruments and Avionics.

What about the green version? I can see the logic re adjusting eyes and ambient light etc. But I would have thought that something with a higher contrast ie like western planes would be better?

Edited by RKSL-Rock

What about the green version? I can see the logic re adjusting eyes and ambient light etc. But I would have thought that something with a higher contrast ie like western planes would be better?

It probably has something to do with cockpit lighting and the fact the human eye is most sensitive to green light in low light situations. The actual dials themselves seem high contrast white on black like western planes. I also read something about using uv fluorescent paint (ostensibly the colour of such a paint is green) for cockpit lighting but of course this is just what I read on the internets.

... the fact the human eye is most sensitive to green light in low light situations...

I thought that was blue...?

Blue is a horrible color as ilumination light...You're blinded but can't really see details.

Red is still the best for night lighting, green too.

Thats why most intrumetns are red or Green backlit...currently Volkswagen has blue backlit instruments and I hate it. It only look cool but is hard to read and together wit the red lit needles it gives a wierd not nice to look at 3D effect.

Edited by Beagle

Well, I guess what we both read was 'towards blue'. I just thought that meant red would be gradually phased out. Maybe you're right, though.

They look in real life like that...here an example of the MIG-21 "helps to reduce stress and maintain a pilot's effectiveness on long missions"

Also other nations (did) use the green/blue colored cockpits. The Tupolev civil airliner series have "green" cockpits aswell.

1545613.jpg

The more modern Tupolev 204-300 cockpit looks quiete nice...very nice instrument overview with blueish color.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Vladivostok-Air/Tupolev-Tu-204-300/1078208/L/

Edited by oxmox

If it was white it would reflect sunlight too much, if it was black it would be harder to see at night.

Ironicly black finish is normally used for night time operation aircraft, also has the least glare.

http://combathelo.blogspot.com/2011/02/soviet-helicopters-r.html, likely why many NATO aircraft have black cockpits, not for a sense comfort or anything like that but ease of night operation, after all you wouldn't want any glare around your instruments would you?

Plus, the glowing sickly green colour in the middle of the night is going to make the pilot feel, rather giddy, after a while. :p