Sign in to follow this  
Viper123_SWE

Shader Model 2 not supported anymore???

Dear Community, earlier today i told you about my problem with the BE Setup, thanks to everyone who replied it helped, the BE Setup is normal again.

But back to the case, ARMA 2:OA is still NOT launching, the following pops up when i start up the game;

ARMA 2: OA

Shader model 2 not supported anymore

Me and my mother (she helped me out) searched google and found other persons with the similar problem, and they only had to update their graphics and Direct-X, problem is that my stuff is already up-to-date, so could somebody plz help me out?

Additional System Info:

Graphics: ATI Radeon X300

Direct-X: Direct-X10

System: Windows XP

How is an ATI Radeon X300 up to date?

It's from 2004!

How is an ATI Radeon X300 up to date?

It's from 2004!

Please sir if your just going to insult me instead of helping me you dont have to reply.

You need newer and better GPU for ArmA 2 OA

Minimal system requirements:

Windows XP or newer

Dual Core CPU

256 MB RAM & Pixel Shader 3.0 or better

DirectX 9.0c or newer

9 GB free HDD space

You need newer and better GPU for ArmA 2 OA

Minimal system requirements:

Windows XP or newer

Dual Core CPU

256 MB RAM & Pixel Shader 3.0 or better

DirectX 9.0c or newer

9 GB free HDD space

Thank you for the help, glad that anyone could help me :)

Yes, you need a more recent video card. As a result, you might need a whole new computer. . .

Ok i have a new problem now, on a swe forum they said that directX 9 OR higher supports pixel shader 3.0, also i tried to see if i have the Dual Core CPU and by the looks of it i have, so whats the launch problem then?

I have checked, and Doublechecked everything and i have everything exept the two things (Pixel Shader 3.0, Dual Core CPU) wich im unsure of.

.?? Its your videocard. It doesn't support SM3. It doesn't matter I'd directx 9 supports it or not.

and how do i see what video card i have?

And before anyone asks i dont know much about graphics and such :P

Please sir if your just going to insult me instead of helping me you dont have to reply.

but he has right

you cannot expect 8 years PC to hold game from last year

cause games are most power needed software, if card is from 2004 and you want to play newest game on it, than you are suprising us

and how do i see what video card i have?

And before anyone asks i dont know much about graphics and such :P

Lol r u high? You put the name of your video card in the first post. If you google it, it clearly states that the card only supports SM 2. Therein lies ur predicament.

You need to upgrade your graphics card to something that supports Shader Model 3. That means physically buying a new graphics card, taking out your old one, and putting the new one in. The ATI Radeon X300 is far too weak to be used for gaming.

Sorry, but that's the only way you'll get it to work.

Ok guys thx for the help, its very apperciated :)

Have any recommendations that isnt to weak or too powerful?

Ok guys thx for the help, its very apperciated :)

Have any recommendations that isnt to weak or too powerful?

really depends on your budget.

Ok then, i found this graphic/video card: ATI Radeon X1300, it says it supports sm3 so should i buy that?

So its good and it supports SM3?

Will it slow down the computer or wont i even notice its there?

Ok then, i found this graphic/video card: ATI Radeon X1300, it says it supports sm3 so should i buy that?

haha its like you are stuck in the 2004/2005 , or found some antique shop. Seriously I think you need to try real hard to even find retailers that still sell these cards. I mean no offence :)

Celery's advice will probably not be usefull since you are looking for a AGP card I think.

Edited by Soul_Assassin

If 4870 is difficult to find get a 5770 or strecth the budget further and get a 6850. All these cards support SM3

ok to make it clear:

Im probably a BIT oldschool but im not that into graphic cards and stuff, the only thing i need is a video card that does the following:

*Supports Shader Model 3

*DOES'NT slow down my performance

*Something reliable that holds for years

@Soul Assasin: No worries, i know i might find old stuff :)

Check if you still have an AGP slot. If your stuck with AGP slot you should really think of an upgrade. If you go with an AMD system you'll get huge value for the buck. And REAL world performance will be very good too. The difference between AMD and Intel is much smaller than people think, benchmarks serves Intel propaganda.

Viper calm down!!!! Of course the new card won't slow your performance. But take into the account that even with a fast and newer GPU your CPU should keep up as well. But if you only want to go with a new GPU check if you have an AGP slot. If you have PCI-Express then you can go with new video card with little problems. Those cards i mentioned do everything you need.

To both of u (CarlosTex, Soul Assasin) how do i see if its a AGP?

also im more for the AMD stuff.

---------- Post added at 02:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

ok good, thanks for the help guys :)

you can look in wikipedia for the physical aspect of the slots. Then open your pc and check it.