Sign in to follow this  
cotabucky

I7 2600k with ati 6970 issues with stutter

O.K. so I got my new rig for arma 2. I have an i7 2600k(4.4-4.7ghz) with 750 ultra powersupply.asusp8p67 pro MB with 8gb of corsair xmp memory and 6970 card.

Now get this-One day I had perfect NON stutter in the OA 08 benchmark with at least 59 fps.That day has come and gone and now I get stutter all the time in that benchmark.I have toyed with ALL of the card settings,All the overclocking-memory settings,and complete windows-Game reinstall.It doesn't seem to matter how low or how High I go with the gpu.the stutter is there.So You know I also have a 1tb WD corvair black HD. .I don't mind the benchmarks not being perfect but the other night My online performance sucked(I will admit it could be internet related).I will check again with my friend online to see if the stutter is crossing over to gameplay.So far the single player and editor is great I have confirmed that.Its just the fact that I have seen the 08 benchmark perform perfect before on this system and I was hoping i could keep it that way.That and I want my online experience to be good. I will try again ;) I have done lots of searches but nobody comes to the same solutions.I have considetered disabling the multthreading(if possible) to see what happens.All other games ROCK so far with this setiup.ARMA2 is of course the best game evere so I was hoping I get it sorted out.I will try to play some coop again and see what happens but thge other night was real bad. Thanks for any advice or input on this.I know this topic is always talked about but I figured being the newest sytems going I find it interesting that even with the newest hardware the issue is still here.I'm hoping its my ignorance that is the problem and there is a way around this.IKnowing this much ...I know my hardware can do it because it has before. Now what in the hell changed to cause the performance to degrade!?!I updated windows and to the latest sapphire drivers.I can't imagone that did it because I reinstalled the system several times with no results.Registry?BIOS?WTF?

Edited by cotabucky

roll back to previous versions of AMD drivers. 11.1 have all sorts of issues (i had 2 blue screens related to it before i went back to 10.2) - 6970 myself

I will try that.Thankyou

It was on the day I went to new drivers but my friends rig is nearly identical and it sounds like he doesn't have the same issues with the 11.1 drivers.Memory is the only difference between our rigs(8 gigs of Corsair x.m.p. 1600mhz).That and I have windows 7 pro and he has premium.Same Cpu,Gpu,and Motherboards.With my current settings it benchmarked 60fps with very little stutter in 08 benchmark.I will try the old drivers and who knows,that may get me back were I was.I'll try that tonight

Tried defragging your harddrive?

Turning off HyperThreading is very simple and harmless (done in BIOS) btw.

In the past I had the experience of weird stuttering, when moving it would go normal, slight hickup, normal, slight hickup, it was a very irritating effect - back then I solved that by disabling the hyperthreading.

But these days I cannot seem to reproduce it either way.

I will try that.Thankyou

It was on the day I went to new drivers but my friends rig is nearly identical and it sounds like he doesn't have the same issues with the 11.1 drivers.Memory is the only difference between our rigs(8 gigs of Corsair x.m.p. 1600mhz).That and I have windows 7 pro and he has premium.Same Cpu,Gpu,and Motherboards.With my current settings it benchmarked 60fps with very little stutter in 08 benchmark.I will try the old drivers and who knows,that may get me back were I was.I'll try that tonight

the fps result on this benchmark is lower too ?

Did you add mod/addons ?

Did you update your chipset's drivers ?

the fps result on this benchmark is lower too ?

Did you add mod/addons ?

Did you update your chipset's drivers ?

60 fps with my settings.No matter how low I go in the settings the stutter is still there.Sometimes little and sometimes more.

Hyperthreading disabled did nothing.

I did update chipset drivers and if anything it worked better with the old version.No mods.

10.2 drivers I couldn't get to install for some reason.I uninstalled 11.1 and everything but It starts loading the Catalysts and then just loads a couple files.I will try that again soon in case I downloaded the wrong driver somehow.

4.4ghz is the clocks and I tried everything from stock to 4.7ghz and still the "STUTTER". Like I said before,It bugs me because I have had the benchmarks silky smooth before for a day or 2.

NO MODS or ADDONS.

And YES I have defragged my hardrive and it has very little content on it as well.It is running 6g SATA.

Tonight I go online again with some coop PMC with a buddy.

Do the real world test :) .Thanks again for any input

Edited by cotabucky

I have also heard of a bug in the ATI drivers that IF you have a website open that uses Flash the driver will limit the GPU core and apparently if you run a game it will stutter because it will: Limit - Max Clock - Limit - Max Clock - Limit - etc cycle all the time. Also the asus p8p67 mobo seems to be having a heap of issues which might or might not be related to the fact that there was a manufacturing defect in some Intel chipsets a while back.

Edit: HERE is a link to your mobo manufacturer about the chipset issues..

Edited by Sekra

Not sure what to think.In most single player stuff the framerate is awesome and little stutter.It seems the harder I push the card the more stable it is (High or very high in arma video settings).The framerates may drop in benchmarks but it seems smoother to me and much less jerky in game. I know about the bad chipsets and My motherboard I am sure will have to go back.It should only effect the SATA3ghz ports though I think.I uninstalled and restarted ADOBE flash with no luck. I think the problem is all new hardware and a NON optomised game I think.Especialy when it comes to the Video card.Left 4 dead 2 is rock solid framerate.Civilization V looks amazing,and other things I try have no issues. I'll just keep hamering away in ATI's CCC and in game settings.I am getting happy with what I have but the benchmarks just tell me something is up(I should say its mostly 08 benchmark thats the problem with stutter).Ohh I have also cleared registry errors and stuff. Knowing I have had the benchmarks great,I know there must be a way to get a solid framrate and no stutter in game.The beginning PMC mission is were I see it the most in game so far.Probably over time all this new hardware updates will hopefully sort some of this crap out ! :) wishingfull thinking? lol

Edited by cotabucky

I am starting to wonder about the Memory and latency. My friend has the samme rig except for the memory difference. I am using ddr3 X.M.P. corsair 8gig(4 slots) 9.9.9.24 c9.His is 1866mhz and a lower latency memory(More expensive).I wouldnt realy think this could be the cause of the stutter but maybe ARMA2 is not optomized for my config?The other games I have played so far seem fine. The Memory is what I am starting to question.Maybe something in the software is doing it but Maybe ,Just maybe its a memory issue??? Anybody know more about this????? Could the latency/Timing be the cause ????? I'm downloading Metro dx11 demo and dirt dx11 demo to see how stable they are.

What command rate does the memory run? 1T or 2T? Perhaps compare this with your friend.

If you could use your friends memory that would be the quickest to exclude the memory from the problem :D

I'm on OCZ Vertex SSD, i7-920 @ 4.2ghz, 3x4GB (Tripplechannel) 1600 mhz 8-8-8-24 at 1T (memory is rated for 2000mhz 9-10-9-27 2T), and a 6950 flashed to 6970. Feeding 2560x1600 screen.

I haven't done the benchmark test but can say the game runs like a dream.

If I find time I can have a look at the benchmark too.

Personally I have not seen too much difference in arma performance in relation to the memory speed + latency.

Common stutter cause I think is HDD though - lot of streaming going on.

Did you install Intel RST?

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/chpsts/imsm

Did you monitor heat and cpu core speed?

Perhaps it's getting hot at some point and either running on lower frequency, or jumping between higher and lower frequency all the time?

Edited by Sickboy

Yes,Thanks I did check CPU, and the I did confirm the intel software is up and running.My friend even has the same hardrive.He mentioned running some type of Simulated Raid0 setup and I was wondering if that could have something to do with it?I may have misunderstood him on that one.

Not sure about the 1T - 2T thing .I will try and figure that out. IN BIOS ??

It does play like a dream and the framerate is awesome except for the Stutter that just F's the whole experience when it happens.Most single player missions seem to be flawless and awesome I admit but I guess I just need more online time. Tonight I will do some more PMC and see what happens.The settings I find do very well the more I push the card.Not all low settings help at all.Ive been toying with Post processing and AA in ARMA2 software and find doing more with the hardware helps a bit. Of Course the stutter is still there all the way from 3.8 to 4.7ghz as far as the cpu is concerned.I activate X.M.P. its there.I do the auto tune ASUS overclocking and it seems to ramp up the Memory properly.Ive tried all kinds of things with little to NO changes as far as the VERY NOTICABLE stutter in 08 bench and PMC mission1. I just can't imagine the 8.8.8 24 c9 memory being the issue when Other games are flawless(like you said).Its 4 slots of memory

---------- Post added at 01:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 PM ----------

roll back to previous versions of AMD drivers. 11.1 have all sorts of issues (i had 2 blue screens related to it before i went back to 10.2) - 6970 myself

Ohh ,and I am guessing you meant 10.12 not "10.2" lol. I couldn't even run 10.2.

10.12 was exactly the same and I did a registry clean and complete uninstall before that.

Just the same but thanks anyways

Edited by cotabucky

you can find all your memory settings in the bios. If you're running off of a standard harddrive I guess that's why you have a bit of stutter. Other games dont use the harddrive at all during gameplay but arma kind of has to because the world is so big.

If you run the 08 benchmark twice in a row is the stutter less?

You can also try to set up a 4GB ramdisk and copy the most used files to it. If that helps you at least know the hd is causing the stutter.

T2 memory,and the thing I don't get is my buddy is using the same hardrive.I just feel its gotta be something else stupid.Last night playing PMC was horrible except at the airport were the sniper is in the tower.The framerate was perfect and the stutter issue was gone.Its mostly in towns I notiuce it bad making it unplayable alot of the time.The level were you have to blow up barricades was realy bad.

I will try the ramdrive but I don't know how to do that.Ive set ARMA2 priority high in the taskbar. 08 benchmark is the same running it multiple times

FRUSTRATING!!! I just want to play and enjoy the game.I know I am being impatient but I did just go spend $1500+ hoping I was going to get a much better experience.The stutter is killing it! Ive tried the lowest settings and its still there in game and benchmarks.Like I said its in towns mostly and so far the PMC missions I notice the most. I will try some other missions more and see if I'm just getting false positives/negatives on my results. defrag again.And try that game file defragger thing.

I have also heard of a bug in the ATI drivers that IF you have a website open that uses Flash the driver will limit the GPU core and apparently if you run a game it will stutter because it will: Limit - Max Clock - Limit - Max Clock - Limit - etc cycle all the time.

You mentioned this to Rarius as he was reporting stutter issues too. We played a bit last night and he had no browsers open, he said he had no stutter at all.

You mentioned this to Rarius as he was reporting stutter issues too. We played a bit last night and he had no browsers open, he said he had no stutter at all.

I have been trying to go in and check this in task manager.I dectivate Anything I see online and adobe or whatever.I also shut off my AVG. I just don't get it.

Ive got my card in the right slot and powersupply setup is good(double checked and triple checked).Ive tried more than one monitor and outputs.

I am about to throw and SSD drive at the problem and maybe even order Faster memory (but wait until I install the SSD before opening the memory package in case I will send it back ;) ).

I'm wondering if maybe My hardrive is faulty or something. Ive had it on its side instead of flat. I figured maybe that was it so I remounted it..NO DIFFERENCE.

It gets quite bad sometimes like last night in the PMC missions. Airport was fine but in towns it went all to hell!! Tonight I try a barebone Low setting run on everything and see what happens. I use the 1st PMC mission as my test mission and 08 benchmark. That stutter just doesn't seem to care what I set it at though.IT DON'T WANT TO GO AWAY for some reason .Thanks for the help :)

Are you allowing the cpu to use all the power it wants or did you leave the power limiting feature in the bios uefi alone? And did you put all the turbo modes to 44x or did you only touch the 4-core one and it actually turbo's down?

On my pc it stutters as well, on minimum settings, but I can live with it. Maybe you can experiment with things like vsync, prerendered frames (or whatever ati calls it) etc.

It's still strange why your machine has stutter and your friends' doesn't. Unless he didn't overclock or you didn't up the allowed power. If your friend doesn't mind experimenting he could run his memory at your speeds and timings.

Edited by Leon86

Are you allowing the cpu to use all the power it wants or did you leave the power limiting feature in the bios uefi alone? And did you put all the turbo modes to 44x or did you only touch the 4-core one and it actually turbo's down?

I will double check this. Thanks

And last night playing online was horrible stutter(quite unplayable at times) with actions in towns but great at the Airport with sniper in tower.I tried it offline and it is the same so its not online Lag.

Crucial 6G SATA will be here Tuesday hopefully just so I can get faster startup and eliminate a potential DATA transfer latency problem :) . I am also going to test my Hardrive benchmarks when I can. If You buy any crucial products order direct!!! I got my drive cheaper than Tigerdirect and the guy gave me Free overnight shipping!! Awesome service! To bad I ordered it to late in the day and tomorrow is Sat lol

Edited by cotabucky

It is definitely issue with AMD Drivers... 10.2 - 10.9 will not affect anything

But your running 5870 and my buddy has the almost exact same system I have with no problems.The only thing not exact is memory.

His last system was a toxic 5850 with AMD cpu and no problems. Im sure you have a point but We now have the same cards,cpu,motherboards and hardrives.

I tried running the 10.2 drivers and they wont even start up(I'm running windows 64 bit).

The thing about the Flash is to simply not have your web browser open when you play arma.. of course there are other software that might use flash but thats the simple way of trying not to have flash open..

Also get something like GPU-Z (G not C) and see if your GPU Clock is randomly switching from max while playing.. And it can show you other info as well..

Maybe a silly option to try but...

Uninstall your virus scanner ( not disable, some services will still be running ) and see if there are any improvements. Some virus scanners are checking all the files that are opened or executed by default.

If there are any improvements with the stuttering than maybe it’s time for an other virus scanner. :rolleyes:

If you want to know your RAM is fast enough, you can download the TRIAL version of Aida64 (http://www.aida64.com/downloads).

Open Aida64—> Tools—> 'Cache and Mem benchmark', and compare it with your friends computer. Or click ‘Benchmark’ and compare it with systems shown in Aida64.

hope this helps.

Uninstall your virus scanner ( not disable, some services will still be running ) and see if there are any improvements. Some virus scanners are checking all the files that are opened or executed by default.

If there are any improvements with the stuttering than maybe it’s time for an other virus scanner. :rolleyes:

If you want to know your RAM is fast enough, you can download the TRIAL version of Aida64 (http://www.aida64.com/downloads).

Open Aida64—> Tools—> 'Cache and Mem benchmark', and compare it with your friends computer. Or click ‘Benchmark’ and compare it with systems shown in Aida64.

hope this helps.

Thanks I'll try that :)

---------- Post added at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

hope this helps.

Thanks I'll try that :)

maybe also use gamebooster from www.iobit.com, so your sure not something running in the background is causing stutter

(in my case it disables 34 services, and clears up 500mb memory)