Sign in to follow this  
Rabble-Rouser

moveObject.exe ?

So I have been trying to wrap my head around this tool I can use all the other mikeroTools that I have tried to use no problem.

I have used Arma2P with ExtractPbo, ConvertP3d, and the DePbo.dll all in the same folder. I also have DePbo.dll in windows\system32\ folder.

I should also mention since last night all versions of tools I am using are the latest from http://dev-heaven.net/projects/mikero-pbodll/files

Using Arma2P everything extracted properly and moved to my p:\ drive. I am storing all mikero tools in a folder on my data drive G:\DL\games\ArmA2\mikerotools\ All of mikero tools reside in the mikerotools folder, Eliteness, Arma2P, ConvertP3d, ExtractPbo, DeRapify, and so on. For each tool I use I have placed the DePbo.dll into that applications folder inside (just seemed to yeild better results than just placing in windows\system32\)

I have had every other tool work as stated in each readme or from searching on the forums here, but the moveObject.exe just elludes me.

Inside MoveObject folder I have

change.bat

changeall.bat

DePbo.dll

main.cpp

MoveObject.exe

I added to that folder a new .bat

_run_moveObject.bat (from instructions by kju on another post)

inside the _run_moveObject.bat I have

rem MoveObject.exe camel_pilot.p3d ca\characters\data\ some\new\path\
rem pause

MoveObject.exe USMC_Soldier_Officer.p3d "G:\BIS TOOLS 2\ArmAWork\ca\characters2\USMC" "G:\BIS TOOLS 2\ArmAWork\Examples"
pause

the issue I have is once ran I get a cmd window that pauses as it should with the readout

deadwalking-albums-misc-picture171-moveobjecterror.png

I have the rem lines as example for when or if I need to change something I have an easy reference. From my understanding the .bat should overlook them anyway even though they are showing up in the cmd window.

I have also tried by moving the MoveObject folder to my BIS Tools 2 folder and running from there to se if that worked, I have used several variations of the line

MoveObject.exe p3dtomove.P3d from\here to\here

I have also tried several different soldier models to move with no luck. I feel that it is something little I am doing wrong,but for the life of me I can not figure it out.

Does the line need to reference my Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 2 install path? Or does it need to reference my G:\BIS TOOLS 2\ArmAWork path with extracted .pbo's? Or should I be referencing it to the p:\ directory instead of the other directories?

Do I need to run it from the Arma 2 install directory or ,from what I think is accurate it can be ran from anywhere? As long as any directories with spaces are defined in " ". Is that my problem since I am referencing a directory larger than 32 characters, which I read in a post?

Hopeing someone can shed a little light on my struggle here and I have read everysingle post I can find about the MoveObject.exe with all pretty much stating just run it like this

MoveObject.exe p3dtomove.P3d from\here to\here

Preface:

Work on the command line (start->run->cmd).

As a start just call:

MoveObject.exe p3dtomove.P3d

It will list all the found path in the said (p3d) file.

This will put the output to the said file.

MoveObject.exe p3dtomove.P3d > pathList.txt

Now have a look and get to understand how the path work.

They are relative based on a namespame. BI uses ca\.

To a moderator I just noticed I have this in Configs and Scripting, if it should be in Modelling please move.

Thanks PVPScene got it worked out. DUH @ me!

Just for anyone else trying to get this working.

It should be something like this

moveobject.exe pathto\model.p3d from\here to\here

pathto\model is used if MoveObject.exe is not in the same directory as your .P3d file. If you have MoveObject.exe in the same drectory as your model then the example in the readme will work.

So what I did was create a p:\Examples folder inside that folder I created a directory structure like so p:\Examples\myaddon\USMC\DATA . I now took and copied all files that pertain to the USMC_Soldier_Officer.P3d and pasted them in there corresponding place inside the p:\Examples\myaddon folder. I had a config already built by referencing another addon for the USMC_Soldier_Officer which I placed next to my USMC_Soldier_Officer.P3d file inside myaddon folder. Now with moveObject.exe inside p:\Examples and my command prompt set to p:\Examples I used a command prompt line like so

moveObject.exe myaddon\usmc\usmc_soldier_officer.p3d ca\characters2 myaddon

to rename the .paa and .rvmat paths for the model this also renames the old USMC_Soldier_Officer.p3d to USMC_Soldier_Officer.old.p3d and creates a new USMC_Soldier_Officer.p3d in using this method by moving the original before using moveobject.exe you should be able to delete the USMC_Soldier_Officer.old.p3d version from your myaddon\USMC folder leaving the original intact in your ca\characters2\USMC folder

At this point you can now edit any textures to suit your liking inside p:\Examples\myaddon\USMC\DATA folder and once you have a working config.cpp you can pack the myaddon folder as a .pbo to launch it as an addon. Which depending on how you setup our config.cpp will determine where it will be revealed inside the in game editor.

I am not all that keen on the config.cpp files as of yet. so it will be dependent to your situation how it would be setup.

Hope this helps anyone else out who are trying to figure out retexturing stock models, this is not a method to recreate a model or change an existing model except for the textures. You will need to be able to edit textures and create normal maps in order to get a quality product in game. Which would be a tottaly different topic explanation.