Sign in to follow this  
digitalcenturion

WIP: Combine Transhuman Overwatch forces (help needed)

renders1.png

COMBINE FORCES

Hi guys,

so I am taking a bit of a break from my Northern Takistan map since it's so cumbersome to work on due to save times in PS etc on my laptop. However, since I've been away from home this weekend and had absolutely nothing to do, I decided to work on my character modeling ability. The object of my excersize is an idea I've been toying with for some time, and that is Combine forces in the Arma2 engine. I've always been a fan of Valves games and the universe they have created around them. Since it's not legal to port the existing models directly i had to create my own. So, one and a half days later, here is what i got:

Render 1

Render 2

Render 3

Stats:

About 6000 tris

One 2048x2048 texutre + normal map

Model 95% done,

texture about 50%

I based the model on the standard combine soldier of HL2 fame, but it's not a 100% recreation. I decided to keep the iconic helmet as similar as possible but changed other bits to make it more tactical (if not tacticool). But now i need help getting it ingame, as I still dont understand anything about O2. Im willing to learn, but the more time i spend bashing my head against the wall with O2 the less time i can spend on building other combine soldiers (elite, police, sniper, pilot, assasin) or maybe helicopter and/or gunship.

So, if anyone else would like some low sci-fi stuff (and the success of various addons like Ufos, mechs et cetera suggest the community does appreciate scifi addons) join in. It can be so tiresome to strive for hyper-realism all the time :D

Also, for those experienced in making units for Arma2, if there are any important pointers about model construction and layout, I would appriciate them.

I decided to keep the iconic helmet as similar as possible
The first thing that cought my eye was the helmet, the head needs to be higher, your model is pretty much flat, which destroyes the looks. But not a bad idea.

Oh wow... sweet! :D

If you manage to get this to work, will we see Combine Pulse weapons, such as AR2 aswel?

Or you could just use the Mp-7 found in robert-hammers weapon pack :P

@aidas2

Yeah, I'm not sure i see it, but it is quite common to get blind when you sit for so long in a straight sitting staring at the same model. Here is a comparison anyways, showing the Arma1 sample soldier model, my model and the Valve HL2 soldier model. It might be that the considerable bulk of the vests distorts the proportions somewhat...

compbd.jpg

@Kristian:

Thanks! I think storytelling and missioncrafting about the HL2 universe in the Arma2 engine could be quite exciting and fun. As for weapons, I was never partial to the pulse rifle so I cant see making one. Vanilla A2/Combined Ops has such a large variety of cool weapons there really is no need. Something like XM8 or G36 or SCAR might be approriate. MP7, definatively, also M1014 shotguns and whatnot.

Haha pretty awesome. I hope you finish this up, would love to see the Combine in A2! :D

u should really use the sample model as a base. meaning: take a Arma 1 garrison unit and add all the equipment to it + a new head.

otherwise u'll get into trouble when it comes to making the model perform animations nicely. u would have to weight everything and endlessly tweak the model so it works flawless ingame. believe me! been there, done that.

and since u wanna make a soldier-like character and not a 6-armed alien u shouldn't be limited because off that method. u can conract me on skype for further detail: bad.benson

I've been waiting for Combine soldiers for ages. I was hoping that somebody would make them even when I was still playing the good old OFP. That model looks great.

Thanks bad benson, I really thought long and hard before making the model wether or not i should use the A1 sample model as base, but since I did it as a learning experience i decided that I'm gonna do it from scratch. Now it's all mine ;) But yeah, skinning/weighting is a bitch even in the best of cases, is it very much more difficult in A2 and Oxygen compared to, say, 3ds MAX?

I'd say you should equip them with SCARS's, maybe Grey-retextures of SCARS? would suit them better I'd say, for that sterile, cold look. I could hook you up with some textures for that if your'e interested, retexturing them into grey from their current colour should be a incredibly easy work since it's just recolouring. I don't have the time or patient to hex-edit models and make configs to get the textures ingame though, haha. But yeah, PM me if you like the idea, I have some time on my hands for simple texture-work.

is it very much more difficult in A2 and Oxygen compared to, say, 3ds MAX?

i'm not an expert in MAX etc but i'm pretty sure that it is much harder in O2. just look at the amount of from-scratch-units that is available for download. close to zero if not zero:(.

all i was saying is that the method i described is very suitable for your kind of project. good luck which ever way u choose. didn't want to demotivate but rather save u from demotivation following stop of work:).

Thanks bad benson, I really thought long and hard before making the model wether or not i should use the A1 sample model as base, but since I did it as a learning experience i decided that I'm gonna do it from scratch. Now it's all mine ;) But yeah, skinning/weighting is a bitch even in the best of cases, is it very much more difficult in A2 and Oxygen compared to, say, 3ds MAX?

ive never weighted in 3ds , but honestly it's not that hard. Stalkergb made an excellent tut , you can find it in the o2 modeling section. I do all my weighting in modo so i cant say much on o2 from scratch though.

I wonder if you could get them to chatter on their radios all the time like they do in the game. And honestly, I hate the MP7. Give them something else.

I'm not gonna lie this is absolutely amazing, nice to see some fellow HL2 fanboys here aswell.

Yeah, the Mp7 is not the best weapon in long-range firefights :) But thats the beauty of Arma2, we can have many different variants :P

Thx Macnools, i think a dark grey SCAR could be excellent, but i really dont want to think about including any custom weaps just yet, more important to get this into the game now.

@Fox09: Ok, that's real comforting to hear coming from an experienced unit maker.

@BadBenson: Yeah NP, thanks for the heads-up, but maybe ill manage the skinning bit. Its Oxygen as a whole that scares me. Oh well, I shall overcome :)

@RH: Metrocop is on to-do list, right after i finish this guy+ variants and elite+variants. Gotta keep those civilians in line :P

Last render of the day, show slightly improved texture.

renders2.jpg

This may sound crazy but have you thought of using the XM8? I remember the OICW that they used and figured why not try something along those lines? I also remember seeing a soldier with an M16A1, though honestly XM8's would fit with the futuristic look.

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091014143423/half-life/en/images/7/70/Combine_Soldier_clouds_fire.jpg

Mate if you finish these bad boys and bring'em in A2 tell me if you want medium or large size shrine because I'm starting to get materials.

I wanted for a long time HL2 Combine forces in Armaverse,one small suggestion don't overwork yourself with gazillion versions,heck I'm happy if I get even the overwatch version,for me metrocop and elite it's just bonus.

About the weapons I think default ones are just fine,early concept Combine were supposed to have an M16 or M4 before they redesigned'em in the final version.

I think Chernarus works like a dream for Combine,those poor bastards in Chernogorsk will never find peace.Now excuse me but I'm going to blow up that transmission tower and e-mail an advisor to send me a Citadel.:p

I'd vote for the UMP, seeing as the Overwatch aren't really combat troops so much as riot police/counter-insurgency forces meant to beat down poorly-equipped humans. They don't need assault rifle. The SMG in Half-Life is so weak it feels like its firing rubber bullets anyways.

The AR2 would, of course, be the best solution.

Hell yeah!!! Besides playing Arma 2 a lot, I play just about every single Valve game there is and have like their entire catalog!

These guys won't just be good for their intended purpose, but they can be used in a variety of missions in the ARMA 2 Universe...A few that quickly come to mind is Biohazard soldiers in a zombie quarantine, or for a mission I really want to do based on the show Blue Gender.

Come up with an Alyx model and you'll have a legion of fans!

Please don't don't take Alyx and drop her in the most stilted uncanny valley-ridden game around.

Please don't don't take Alyx and drop her in the most stilted uncanny valley-ridden game around.

You're right! I prefer Alyx with facial expression, nice voice acting and great mocap!

I'd go for the XM8, and arm most Soldier units with XM8 with the grenade launcher, simply because it looks über-badass.