Zipper5

ARMA 2 Patching FAQ

Hello, I receive the following error after installing the 1.60 patch when I try to run Arma II OA:

Cannot open file 'E:\Games\CapsuleGames\ARMA II Operation Arrowhead - PC\\Expansion\dta\bin.pbo"

Of course, the above path is incorrect, there shouldn't be two backslashes in the path name; however both Arma II and Operation Arrowhead run perfectly fine BEFORE I patch the game. My AO installer is version 1.59.

Any info on how I can fix this issue?

EDIT: OK, after poking around, apparently Arma 2 and OA are stupid in the way they find their pathing. If there is a "-" in the path as I have above, then the game won't launch after the path.

If you ask me, this is pretty shoddy coding. That character is not a special character, and Windows has allowed - characters in their path names ever since Windows 3.1 or earlier.

Edited by Slizzo

Hello, I receive the following error after installing the 1.60 patch when I try to run Arma II OA:

Cannot open file 'E:\Games\CapsuleGames\ARMA II Operation Arrowhead - PC\\Expansion\dta\bin.pbo"

Of course, the above path is incorrect, there shouldn't be two backslashes in the path name; however both Arma II and Operation Arrowhead run perfectly fine BEFORE I patch the game. My AO installer is version 1.59.

Any info on how I can fix this issue?

EDIT: OK, after poking around, apparently Arma 2 and OA are stupid in the way they find their pathing. If there is a "-" in the path as I have above, then the game won't launch after the path.

If you ask me, this is pretty shoddy coding. That character is not a special character, and Windows has allowed - characters in their path names ever since Windows 3.1 or earlier.

Just tested your installation path with the only difference using the "d" drive and Arma works as intended (Changed the registry too).

After some tests I managed to replicate your error and it is related with the registry.

At [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Bohemia Interactive Studio\ArmA 2 OA\Expansions\ARMA 2 OA] if the MAIN entry that stores the path ends with a backslash you will get the error.

GOOD MAIN:

E:\Games\CapsuleGames\ARMA II Operation Arrowhead - PC

BAD MAIN:

E:\Games\CapsuleGames\ARMA II Operation Arrowhead - PC\

Maybe the error can emerge with the other path entries, didn't test them all.

And of course you can use "-" in your path.

Edited by TonyGrunt

Just tested your installation path with the only difference using the "d" drive and Arma works as intended (Changed the registry too).

After some tests I managed to replicate your error and it is related with the registry.

At [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Bohemia Interactive Studio\ArmA 2 OA\Expansions\ARMA 2 OA] if the MAIN entry that stores the path ends with a backslash you will get the error.

GOOD MAIN:

E:\Games\CapsuleGames\ARMA II Operation Arrowhead - PC

BAD MAIN:

E:\Games\CapsuleGames\ARMA II Operation Arrowhead - PC\

Maybe the error can emerge with the other path entries, didn't test them all.

And of course you can use "-" in your path.

That's odd. Of course I was using the Capsule installer to install the game (I run using custom shortcuts afterwards), and what else is odd is that the issue only presents itself after the 1.60 patch.

Additionally, having the backslash after the path in the registry really shouldn't be causing this issue, but I digress.

Always using beta patch!

Working very good!

I patched today with 94103 and cant get MP servers. I got message: "wrong key".

Maybe problem is here [94002] Fixed: PlayerId changed for users using Reinforcements or Arma X Anniversary edition to prevent PlayerId conflicts.

I use Reinforcements.

On launch (either from within steam or directly) I get the following message

No entry 'bin\config.nbin/CfgInGameUI/MPTable.shadow'.

then black screen, crash to desktop and the following message

Error compiling pixel shader PSSpecularAlpha:0

Am running steam as administrator, AOA is a vanilla version, no addons installed, steam and game are installed in default path.

Worked PERFECTLY before the update.

Win7 64

GTX680

6 gigs ram

i7 920

halp!

I just finished downloading the ACR DLC, but I can't install it, as it says that the DLC requires ArmA2 version 1.11. I recently did the 1.62 upgrade, which completed successfully, and indicated that I was upgraded to 1.11. For good measure, I re-ran the 1.11 update, but when I check the .exe version, it's still at 1.10(.80.665). The OA .exe upgraded with no issues. Unfortunately, I can't try a full reinstall right now (I won't have access to the disc for another couple of months). Does anyone have any other idea about what might be preventing that patch from installing correctly, but reporting a successful install?

As the title states, editor worked great before the last patch now it wont save the mp/sp missions, I've searched my entire HDD and have not found the pbo files. Has anyone else had this issue, I've tried reinstalling...both times is says install successful. My only option is to remove the program and do a fresh install without the latest patch.

Cheers

As the title states, editor worked great before the last patch now it wont save the mp/sp missions, I've searched my entire HDD and have not found the pbo files. Has anyone else had this issue, I've tried reinstalling...both times is says install successful. My only option is to remove the program and do a fresh install without the latest patch.

Cheers

Do you run the game with admin privileges? If not, try it.

Sounds like Arma2 is unable to write to the appropriate directories, which is generally an OS privilege issue.

I had the problem with saving missions. You need to set the directories:

C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\Missions

C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\MPMissions

to have write permission.

Arma 2 should give a warning in a dialog box and the report file instead of just not writing the files with no warnings, but it doesn't. Warnings can save users a lot of time.

For those who don't like game reinstalling after patch fail.

I will use ARMA2OA_Update_160 as example below. I think other BIS updates looks similar.

First of all you need to know which files exactly will be updated with the patch. You need 7-Zip archiver (9.20 is OK). Open downloaded ARMA2OA_Update_160.exe as archive. There are some exe-files with self-explanatory names - patches, sometimes DirectX and BattlEye updates. Extract patch you need. Then open extracted file as archive. Go to the .rsrc\0\RCDATA folder.

%old.version%-%new.version% folders contain ".UPD"-files. They are used for file patching with xdelta3 utility. For example 1.50-1.51\EXPANSION\ADDONS\ANIMS_E.PBO.UPD is for patching expansion\addons\anims_e.pbo from 1.50 to 1.51. Note: cumulative updates contain such folders from previous patches.

"ALL" folder contains entire updated game files which just replace corresponding game files. I've never seen both ".UPD" and entire files in a single patch - it will be strange.

So now you've got file changing list and can backup them only instead of the whole game folder. Patch rollback is easier now!

But what if you need older version file and don't have a backup? At the best needed file can be found in "ALL" folder of proper patch (see above). If not, you can patch it on your own. But this routine mostly suites for a few needed files, many files can be boring without automation :)

You need xdelta3 command-line utility. I've had some troubles with XDELTA3.EXE included in every patch so I've preferred to download it - but you can try both. Syntax:

xdelta3.exe -d -s anims_e.pbo ANIMS_E.PBO.UPD anims_e.pbo.tmp

where "anims_e.pbo" - source file, "ANIMS_E.PBO.UPD" - ".UPD" file, "anims_e.pbo.tmp" - result file.

If source file version is OK and patch successfully completed the utility outputs nothing and exits. But if the source file can't be patched it will output error message ("target window checksum mismatch", "normally this indicates that the source file is incorrect", "please verify the source file with sha1sum or equivalent").

Now get original file from your game DVD and apply every ".UPD" from older versions to newer for this file.

To simplify this routine you can use cmd. Put in one folder source file, xdelta3.exe, extract there %old.version%-%new.version% folders and open cmd in this folder. Note: you can extract even those folders which don't contain needed ".UPD" files, they will be skipped automatically.

Then run command (this example is for expansion\addons\anims_e.pbo, replace it with your file path):

for /D %i in (1.*-1.*) do @( echo %i & if exist %i\EXPANSION\ADDONS\ANIMS_E.PBO.UPD ( xdelta3.exe -d -s anims_e.pbo %i\EXPANSION\ADDONS\ANIMS_E.PBO.UPD anims_e.pbo.tmp & move anims_e.pbo %i.anims_e.pbo & move anims_e.pbo.tmp anims_e.pbo ) & pause )

On every found ".UPD"-file cmd will patch file, rename original file to %old.version%-%new.version%.source_file (version will show which patch saved it), rename new file to source file name and ask for key pressing. The "1.*-1.*" string means folders with names like "1.50-1.51". As result you'll get all patch versions of source file. Command is not ideal but works, you can modify it as you want.

I will be glad if this post helps anybody :)

Have a slight problem with patching.

Been away from the game some time now, was on 1.59 before.

DL patch 1.60 and 1.62..

Specs:

ArmA2 OA

Windows Vista 32

4Gb ram 667

AMD Phenom 9500QuadC

EVGA Geforce 550Ti 1024

All drivers updated.

I tried playing with 1.59 and it worked like a charm.

Installed 1.60 success, 1.62 success..But no play.

I get messege from windows saying. Arma 2 OA

stoped working bla bla bla...

What is wrong..

Isnt using any addons or such, starting with arma2oa.exe

;2220839'..

I tried playing with 1.59 and it worked like a charm.

Installed 1.60 success' date=' 1.62 success..But no play.

I get messege from windows saying. Arma 2 OA

stoped working bla bla bla...

What is wrong..

Isnt using any addons or such, starting with arma2oa.exe[/quote']

But do you have Jaylib? That has a dsound.dll that is in root. Delete that. New Jaylib has the new dll for 1.62.

were do i find jaylib then?

BTW isnt JAYLIB usermade content...

Why would i need that to play ORIGINAL ArmA2 OA??

Edited by Andersson[SWEC]

;2220878']were do i find jaylib then?

BTW isnt JAYLIB usermade content...

Why would i need that to play ORIGINAL ArmA2 OA??

Just check if a dsound.dll is inside the same directory as arma2oa.exe, if there delete it. Earlier version of JayLib(dsound.dll is part of it) have been known to produce crashes with latest patch.

;2221148']Yes i found that file inside and removed' date=' and it worked...[/quote']well now! great its working for ya.

virus100

Most likely it means that your AddOns\air.pbo version isn't 1.02 as your arma2.exe one. You can try to follow my manual patching instruction to get proper version. Be careful it's not official advice and my instruction is not tested by anyone else.

virus100

Most likely it means that your AddOns\air.pbo version isn't 1.02 as your arma2.exe one. You can try to follow my manual patching instruction to get proper version. Be careful it's not official advice and my instruction is not tested by anyone else.

Hi.

what should I do here?

http://uploadpa.com/beta/12/sywu99noxf9w1je6n5ua.png

But do you have Jaylib? That has a dsound.dll that is in root. Delete that. New Jaylib has the new dll for 1.62.

Had the same problem with installing 1.62, after being away from the game for a very long time. Got it to work by removing the file in question. That mod should have a fucking warning label posted on it. Thanks for the advice on how to remove it.

I have arma 2 1.6 and OA 1.50

I keep getting corrupted downloads with the 1.60 ArmA 2 CO patch. The patcher xdelta3 says to Download again but I keep getting a corrupted .pbo file. I downloaded it 8 times. Does anyone have this problem?

Edit: now its a crc error

Edit get a new cd reader do a fresh install then patch

Edited by Carzilla